PDA

View Full Version : STATE SEMIFINAL: ABILENE WYLIE(28-5) vs ARGYLE(28-7)

regaleagle
06-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Looks like the game will be played at Disch-Faulk field in Austin at 1 pm on Wednesday. Wylie's signature win of the season came in its series against then-undefeated and top-ranked Iowa Park in the Region I semis. They swept that series and surprised most. Argyle's signature win came in its most recent series against a very good and highly ranked Pleasant Grove team in the Region II final. Argyle swept that series in 2 games also. PG had only lost 3 games all season previously. This matchup of these two schools should be a good one.....they are very competitive in all UIL activities. Wylie met Venus in the Region I final and won that series 2-1. I have no idea how this game will go. I do know that in football Wylie had some very athletic players, so I suspect their baseball team has some of those same players on it and probably a few players that are "baseball only" types. I look for a great atmosphere and close battle. Good luck to all the players on both squads. They worked hard to get this opportunity and now they should relish it for what it is.

slingshot
06-07-2015, 11:03 PM
Looks like the game will be played at Disch-Faulk field in Austin at 1 pm on Wednesday. Wylie's signature win of the season came in its series against then-undefeated and top-ranked Iowa Park in the Region I semis. They swept that series and surprised most. Argyle's signature win came in its most recent series against a very good and highly ranked Pleasant Grove team in the Region II final. Argyle swept that series in 2 games also. PG had only lost 3 games all season previously. This matchup of these two schools should be a good one.....they are very competitive in all UIL activities. Wylie met Venus in the Region I final and won that series 2-1. I have no idea how this game will go. I do know that in football Wylie had some very athletic players, so I suspect their baseball team has some of those same players on it and probably a few players that are "baseball only" types. I look for a great atmosphere and close battle. Good luck to all the players on both squads. They worked hard to get this opportunity and now they should relish it for what it is.Well put. We have the utmost respect for Argyle. Should be a good one... in many ways these schools remind me a lot of each other. These are not just football schools--though they both play that at a high level also. Doesn't matter whether it is boys or girls basketball, track, tennis, football, volleyball or UIL events--both programs excel and do it the right way, with class and respect for their opponents. Now that being said... GO 'DAWGS!!!

ccmom
06-10-2015, 01:48 PM
Wylie up 3-0 top of 4

ccmom
06-10-2015, 01:57 PM
Argyle responds with 2 runs in top of 4...

3-2 Wylie leads going to bottom of 4

ccmom
06-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Argyle doing lots of damage in top of 5th and still batting....

6-3 Argyle lead

chaingang
06-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Argyle doing lots of damage in top of 5th and still batting....

6-3 Argyle lead

Uh oh

ccmom
06-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Welllllll.....finally going to bottom of 5th

Argyle leads 9-3

Let's go Dawgs!

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Now you know why I stated earlier after the PG series that Argyle is playing better and definitely hitting at the highest level they have all year. They are playing serious baseball at the right time of the season. Argyle just turned their 2nd double play of the game on a great turn by Seth Green at 2nd base. Danny Davis from 3rd to 2nd to 1st to convert those double plays.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:33 PM
End of 5th

Argyle 9
Wylie 3

Argyle gets the double play and then another defensive gem to end the inning.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Tanner Boyzuick beats out chopper infield hit down third base that Tanner beat the throw on. It's ruled at lead-off hit. Good play at 3rd, but the runner just beat it out.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:40 PM
Called strike but stolen base by Boyzuick now. Fly ball out moves Boyzuick to 3rd. One out on Argyle now and runner on 3rd as Riley Balch(catcher) attempts a safety squeeze. Boyzuick coming home as bunt goes straight to pitcher and they throw him out at home. That bunt has to go down one baseline or the other on the squeeze play. Two outs now.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:41 PM
Balch at 2nd now as Danny Linahan at the plate now. 2-2 now to Linahan.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:42 PM
He walks Linahan. Runners at 1st and 2nd. Ryland King up now. 2 outs.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Called strike 3 on the corner as King is rung up looking. Going to bottom of the 6th now. Wylie is fully capable of putting together big innings. I think they scored about 25 runs this season on Wichita Falls Hirschi and double digits on several other teams.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Mueller up for Wylie to start the batting in the bottom of the 6th now. Rixey Boyd still on the mound for Argyle. 1-2 on Mueller now. No wind on the field, and about 97 to 100 degrees on the field right now.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:49 PM
Hit down the line but Hunter Markwardt runs it down for the play. Good play for Markwardt. 1 out. Now a base hit to right by Wylie. Pinch hitter John Paul Tople up now.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Boyd at 65 pitches so far today. 5 hits, 3 earned. 1-1 on Topal. He's a .368 hitter. Ball ripped to 3rd base, Davis fields it, fires it to 2nd as Green turns it back to 1st for yet another double play to end the inning.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Wylie coach is shaking his head on those double plays. Top of the 7th now with Argyle coming to bat. They still lead 9-3, but I'm sure they'll be trying to get some runners aboard.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Ground ball on the infield for 1st out. Connor Mushinski up next. Long drive down right field slicing foul.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:55 PM
2-2 to Mushinski now. Outside pitch....now full count. Swings and misses for 2nd out. Lefty pitcher to lefty hitter throws a slider out of the zone.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:56 PM
Seth Green up to the plate for Argyle now. He hits a fly ball straight away to center field as Money easily snares it for the 3rd out.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:57 PM
Bottom of the 7th coming up.

Argyle needs 3 outs to advance to the State Final game and Wylie needs 6 runs to extend this game or 7 to win it.

Rocket Man
06-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Wish I was there!!

Thanks for the play by play

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 02:58 PM
# 6, 7, and 8 hitters in the lineup to hit this inning for Wylie. Rixey Boyd still on the mound for Argyle. He throws 2 strikes to start off Lovelace. Now 1-2 to Matt Lovelace.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Line drive to left field and is fielded on one hop as Lovelace starts the inning with a lead-off hit. Good piece of hitting for Lovelace. Jackson Money(center fielder) up now. 0-2 to Money to start him off. He fouls it off, still 0-2 to Money. Money swings and misses for a strike out. It was on the outside corner.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Riley Hedge up now for Wylie. No batting gloves, they say. Big deal....we never had any in my time. 1-1 to Hedge. Foul tip into the glove. 2-2 on Hedge.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Tapper foul on Hedge.....still 2-2. Slow swinging bunt to 3rd and Davis has no chance to get him. Hedge advances the runner to 2nd on an infield single. Good play by Hedge.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Now a slow liner hits one and everybody is safe. The bases are loaded now. Liner to Cutter McDonald as he fields it for the 2nd out. That ball was hit on the nose right at Cutter McDonald as the runners hold.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Line drive to Markwardt as he slides and the ball hits and then his body traps it for another hit. One run scores and the bases are still loaded with 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 03:08 PM
Long fly ball to right field too far out of bounds for a foul ball. 2 strikes as Boyd delivers. Grounded to 3rd as Linahan tosses it to Green at 2nd for the force to end the game.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 03:09 PM
Argyle will advance to the State Final as Wylie goes down hitting the ball in the final inning.

Final

Argyle 9
Wylie 4

ccmom
06-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Congrats to the Argyle Eagles and good luck tomorrow!

Congrats to our Wylie Bulldogs on a fantastic season!!

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Argyle had that big top of the 5th where they scored 7 runs on 5 hits with no errors committed by Wylie that made the big difference in this game. Congrats to the Argyle Eagles on advancing in this big win in the state semifinal against a very worthy Abilene Wylie team.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Boyd goes the distance for Argyle, giving up 9 hits on 4 runs.....three earned.....as he throws strikes to force the Wylie hitters to swing the bats. They did that well, but the Argyle double plays....3 of them to end innings.....shortened scoring opportunities for the Bulldogs in this game. The Eagles defense played well overall to help Boyd go the distance and get this big win.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 03:21 PM
The Eagles had 11 hits today, scoring 9 runs as they hit the ball hard all day to give Boyd a lead going back out to the mound in the 5th. After 4 innings it was 3-2 Wylie.

regaleagle
06-10-2015, 04:04 PM
I remember those first couple of years when my son was a Fresh. and Soph. at Argyle. The boys competed very well for a new school, and you could see the instruction they were given by the coaching staffs. These boys were "green"......never had too much coaching at all.....but the desire was instilled into them to become winners by the coaches and they responded. That was in 2A. Then in the 3rd yr. when my son was junior, we went all the way to state in football in 2A. The Argyle basketball team was already very competitive. Track and baseball were still finding their feet. The 4th season, Argyle jumped to 3A.....adjusted well to the higher level of competition.....and made the playoffs in football. It's been success after success after success since then in all endeavors. The AISD has developed excellence in all programs for the students in all extracurricular activities.....competing against larger schools or schools w/larger enrollments every year. The teaching staff and athletic staff at AISD is to be highly commended for the work they have performed, just judging by all the positive results. It's really almost uncanny and unbelievable how this one mid-sized 4A is dominating its competitors in all activities each year. There's some really stout competition at this level in Texas....a state known for its quality athletic programs. Argyle will again win the Lone Star Cup for the 4th time in a row, and 8th time in 13 seasons of school history. I think Lucas Lovejoy beat out Argyle twice by mere points and Canyon a couple of times also. I really didn't think the Eagles could have the kind of year they did in the 2014-2015 term.....but they did. The football team went to the State 4A D1 final, the volleyball team went to state, the girls basketball won state, the boys golf won state, and now the baseball team will be in the state final. The marching band won state, the UIL Academic team won state......there were some individual state awards and qualifiers......it has been a highly competitive and successful year for the Argyle Eagles. I do not believe you can expect a school to keep up this kind of winning pace each and every year. Sooner or later something will change. We'll see what happens next school year for the Argyle Eagles......I'm very interested to see if they can do it again, haha. I don't expect them to, but I do expect them to be very competitive in all activities.