PDA

View Full Version : Adam Arroyo named new Bloomington football coach-AD

Scoop27
05-29-2015, 10:35 PM
Adam Arroyo wanted some feedback after applying to become Bloomington's athletic director and head football coach.

Arroyo called some of the coaches who played against Bloomington in District 15-4A, Division II last season.

"I didn't tell them I was applying for the job," Arroyo said. "I knew some of them from when I coached at Skidmore-Tynan. I just talked to them and most of them brought up Bloomington as somebody to be looked at.

"I also talked to coach (Layne) Elkins and saw the kids," he added. "The administration and school board in Bloomington are very supportive. It's a good fit right now."

Arroyo plans to begin work at Bloomington next week after receiving unanimous approval from the board of trustees at a specialy called meeting Wednesday evening.

Arroyo, 45, will replace Elkins, who announced earlier this month he would resign at the end of the current school year.

Arroyo returns to coaching after working in the oil industry for the past three years.

The Cuero graduate's most recent coaching position was as an assistant at Victoria East under Mickey Finley.

"The oil field was great to me," Arroyo said. "But as much as I tried to fight it, I'm a coach and I wanted to coach. I missed the coaches and kids and everything. I needed the right fit and I knew I wanted to get back into it and I found that at Bloomington."

Arroyo will become Bloomington's ninth head football coach in the last 14 years.

But Elkins was at the school for three years and brought a measure of stability to the program.

"When you have so much turnover, it's tough on the kids because they never know who's coming or who's going," Arroyo said. "These last three years with Layne being there they've actually had some stability and know what's going on with expectations. Every kid wants to have discipline in their life. They just need somebody to show them and somebody to hold them accountable and they're willing to do it."

Bloomington went 3-7 last season and had a 1-4 record in district.

The Bobcats haven't had a winning season since 1999 or been to the playoffs since 2000.

"I think they're going in the right direction," Arroyo said. "They are so willing to do whatever they need to do to be successful. I just think it's a diamond in the rough."

YTBulldogs
05-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Good luck there Adam. You'll need it. Many have tried over the past 13 years, and most gone after a year stint, leaving on their own. Tough place.