PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rising Miniseries

Cam
05-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Anybody watch this miniseries? Is it still going? I lost interest about 30 minutes or so into the first episode.....Nothing seemed believable..the characters, the scenery.....I never knew Gonzales, TX had such deep canyons!!...someone correct me if I'm wrong..I've only been to Gonzales in passing..nice town!..Does it really have deep canyons like that??..:D...I'm thinkin' now I may vacation there this summer!...can someone fix me up with a cabin around them parts??.....Anyway, the characters threw me off almost immediately....When I saw Brendan Fraser of "George of the Jungle" fame, all I could think of was him crashing into trees while swinging from a rope!.....Then all of a sudden there's Christopher McDonald playing the role of Henry Karnes!....I was like, "Wait a minute, Shooter Mcgavin from "Happy Gilmore" is in this miniseries too??"....Break out the 9 iron!!.......the final straw for me was Santa Anna himself.....Yep, played by Olivier Martinez....for those who don't remember, this is the same guy who played "Paul" in the steamy movie, "Unfaithful" with Diane Lane...he's the frenchman cat that got Diane all distracted and did all that nasty stuff with her.....Heck, as soon as I saw Santa Anna on his horse all I could think of WAS Diane Lane!:crazy1:.....then I kept waiting for Richard Gere to come out of the bushes and whack Santa Anna across the head with one of them snowball globes!!....that could've been a history changer!.....which gets me to thinkin' back to that "Unfaithful" movie, "How in the hell do you stand there so calmly knowing there's an angry distraught husband standing in front of you with a lethal snowball globe in his hand?..then, you let him kill you with it!":doh: Do the French ever win a fight???.......:doh::D.....I don't know...maybe I'm being too harsh.......but that's my review in a nutshell......Ya'll fill me in on how this miniseries turned out!....:sleeping:

Rabid Cougar
05-29-2015, 02:13 PM
The Empire's Storm Troopers are going to win. Han Solo will also make a cameo.

STiger82
05-29-2015, 03:36 PM
To funny!!! Thanks for a great laugh. Turned it off myself.

ronwx5x
05-29-2015, 07:13 PM
Unfortunately, I watched it. It did not improve as it continued.

Roughneck93
05-29-2015, 08:53 PM
Well damn, I have the DVR set to record the series....Booooo!

Scoop27
05-29-2015, 09:27 PM
Love this series even though some in consistencies

ronwx5x
05-29-2015, 09:29 PM
Love this series even though some in consistencies
Nough said!

buckeyebob
05-30-2015, 08:04 AM
We are watching today...it is raining so we are cooking & being slugs...I fell a nap coming on...Mrs buckeyebob grew up in Victoria (I married her - didn't raise her)...she too was PO'd about the bluffs...on the phone w/ her sista & discussion on where they could be...her childhood was spent crawling all over the Presidio & other sites...she can't come to the reality that you have to pay now & can't crawl over stuff

BwdLion73
05-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Nough said!

;)....

coach
06-01-2015, 10:07 AM
I heard they filmed it in Colorado which explains why there were Mountains 20 miles from Goliad...

slingshot
06-01-2015, 10:29 AM
I heard they filmed it in Colorado which explains why there were Mountains 20 miles from Goliad...Guess they couldn't fing a place in Texas to shoot? Or maybe the director and crew just wanted a little 'Colorado Rocky Mountain High'...

coach
06-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Guess they couldn't fing a place in Texas to shoot? Or maybe the director and crew just wanted a little 'Colorado Rocky Mountain High'...

I thought it was funny there wasnt a Pine Tree in sight in the scene of Nacogdoches, but hey at least they got the bar scene accurate.

Rabid Cougar
06-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Actually filmed in Mexico. Also you dont quick draw with flint lock pistols. Duel..yes. Quick draw..no.

Why are there "wounded" in Sam Houston's Army when they have not even seen Mexicans?????? AH! Jawas! They tried to trade some droids and stiffed the Jawas.

coach
06-01-2015, 12:26 PM
Actually filmed in Mexico. Also you dont quick draw with flint lock pistols. Duel..yes. Quick draw..no.

Why are there "wounded" in Sam Houston's Army when they have not even seen Mexicans?????? AH! Jawas! They tried to trade some droids and stiffed the Jawas.

See i dont know anything about quick draws and duels so that soesn't bother me at all.

Rabid Cougar
06-01-2015, 01:50 PM
That's fine. The story is dramatic enough without Hollywood making it up.

Cam
06-01-2015, 03:05 PM

LOL....love them Jawas!....I actually liked the part where one of Sam Houston's men got a little tipsy at the local saloon....went across the street to the hotel, rented a room, invited the hotel manager's grandma to come join him, she surprisingly did, and he commenced to jump in a tub full of bubbles with nothin' but chaps, boots, and spurs on while grandma watched!......he whistled dixie for about 2 hours and 42 minutes...grandma got bored and left....so he came back down, went back across the street towards the saloon where he tried to tickle a horse's arse with a peacock feather.....the horse didn't much care for it, so he took his giant hoof and proceeded to....uhhh.....oh wait....I was watchin' the wrong show!!!...nevermind!......:blush::blush:

Rabid Cougar
06-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Okay. I TRIED to watch it last night. Lasted about 5 minutes. I expected Richard Gere to show and brain Santa Anna. I found much more historically accurate movies to watch such as "Jarhead" and "Lone Survivor". At least they got the Saudi Desert right and the Sandia Mountains in New Mexico are a dead ringer for the mountains in the Kunar Province in Afghanistan. "Lone Survivor" is hard to watch. i know its not like the book but the combat scenes are way too real.

slpybear the bullfan
06-02-2015, 01:50 PM
Tried to watch this last night; Terrible.

The landscape is wrong almost 90% of the time. I turned it on during the Battle of Coleto. I didn't realize this because the Texians were hold up in some adobe ruins in the high desert mountains. Ummm, that looks nothing like Goliad and where the battle was fought. It was actually fought on an open grassy plain with some trees. No ruins.

Fannin surrenders and I finally understand where we are at... the next scene is of Fannin getting shot while they march off the Texian Prisoners to be shot. Of course, how does a firing squad work for a group of soldiers? Why, you form your shooters in a CIRCLE around a mass of prisoners and have them fire. Of course, even though its a circle, none of the shooters are hit by friendly fire. And of course, even though they are firing into a big mass of Texians huddled together, EVERY SINGLE Texian falls after one volley.

Of course this is all witnessed by an Anglo Alamo survivor named Lorcka(?sp). He was able to escape that battle, and witness Goliad, and then escape ANY mention of him in recorded History. Why did they invent this guy?

Its okay, though, because Sam Houston decides to leave the Main Texian Army singlehandedly at this time to ride off and "Bring Fannin In!" *Facepalm.

I was sorry I made it that far. This is garbage.

Cam
06-02-2015, 02:27 PM
Tried to watch this last night; Terrible.

The landscape is wrong almost 90% of the time. I turned it on during the Battle of Coleto. I didn't realize this because the Texians were hold up in some adobe ruins in the high desert mountains. Ummm, that looks nothing like Goliad and where the battle was fought. It was actually fought on an open grassy plain with some trees. No ruins.

Fannin surrenders and I finally understand where we are at... the next scene is of Fannin getting shot while they march off the Texian Prisoners to be shot. Of course, how does a firing squad work for a group of soldiers? Why, you form your shooters in a CIRCLE around a mass of prisoners and have them fire. Of course, even though its a circle, none of the shooters are hit by friendly fire. And of course, even though they are firing into a big mass of Texians huddled together, EVERY SINGLE Texian falls after one volley.

Of course this is all witnessed by an Anglo Alamo survivor named Lorcka(?sp). He was able to escape that battle, and witness Goliad, and then escape ANY mention of him in recorded History. Why did they invent this guy?

Its okay, though, because Sam Houston decides to leave the Main Texian Army singlehandedly at this time to ride off and "Bring Fannin In!" *Facepalm.

I was sorry I made it that far. This is garbage.

.....I lost all faith when I saw the woolly mammoths roaming in the background!...I knew right then and there this film was all wrong!.....:spitlol:

Lorca is none other than actor Ray Liotta!...Can't hardly recognize him....

Macarthur
06-02-2015, 04:08 PM
I haven't even started. Read somewhere that it was about 99% drama and 1% history.

Cam
06-02-2015, 04:51 PM
I haven't even started. Read somewhere that it was about 99% drama and 1% history.

I'm still waitin' for Diane Lane to come into the fray and get even with Santa Anna (who's really the ghost of Paul the horny frenchman) for hurtin' her man's feelings!!.....but who really got the "short" end of the stick here anyways??:eek::eek:...Diane, her hubby or Paul aka Santa Annie??.......this story is getting so confusing.....:vrycnfsd::smoker:

gosh dangit where's panfan when I need him??.....that boy's got all the answers!!

as for Greendawg, it's still his fault!.....