PDA

View Full Version : Burnet/Everman article in DMN

3afan
12-13-2003, 10:33 AM
Everman fans will make Burnet feel at home
Towns forged a bond after tragedy in last season's final

By SCOTT McDONALD / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

When Burnet takes the field Saturday night for the Class 3A Division I championship game at Texas Stadium, expect to see thousands of Bulldogs fans – and not just those who make the trip from Burnet.

Sitting in the section next to Burnet will be the Everman Bulldogs. Some will wear T-shirts that are Burnet green and Everman purple and bear the slogan "Bulldogs United."

Though rivals for the state championship a year ago, Burnet and Everman, nearly 200 miles apart, are united today by pain and heartache.

"We went through a really horrible time together that cemented this relationship," Burnet Consolidated ISD superintendent Jeff Hanks said.

That time began last Dec. 14 in the state final at the Alamodome in San Antonio. Fans on each side were hushed as Everman defensive back Corey Fulbright lay motionless on the field.

Fulbright fractured the C-4/5 vertebrae of his spinal cord while making a tackle during Everman's 35-14 victory. Without question or hesitation, the folks in Burnet raised $100,000 to help offset medical costs for Fulbright.

"They've become like a family to me and a second family to everybody here in Everman," said Fulbright, who has regained some upper-body movement and is working on dexterity in his fingers.

The bond between Everman and Burnet grew stronger after Everman senior football player Craig Boatwright died of a rare congenital heart disease two months ago while running before school. The people of Burnet flooded their new friends in Everman with e-mails and phone calls of condolence.

On Wednesday, the Burnet Bulletin published a letter to the editor written by Haley Keeling, the wife of Everman coach Dale Keeling. She thanked the town for its support over the last year and mentioned that Everman will have a distinct presence at the Class 3A Division I title game.

"We really did want to meet up with you again, but we just couldn't get it all together this year," she wrote of the championship game. "Not only will your side be filled with a mass of green and white, but there will be a lot of purple and gold cheering you on as well."

Everman principal Kathy Culbertson, who was in Austin for a workshop this week, went to Burnet and bought 52 student tickets for the Everman football players and six adult tickets for administrators. The football team will take two buses to the game.

"We have a very special relationship with Burnet, and we're there to support each other whether it's good or bad," Culbertson said.

Everman senior fullback Robert Moore said cheering for Burnet is the least his team can do to show its appreciation for Burnet's generosity.

"They've done a lot for us, especially when it came to Corey," Moore said. "You just don't see schools do what they did for us, and it's special to see them help in a time of need.

"We want to pay them back any way we can, and I think this is really cool."

Fulbright, who said that his arms get a little stronger every week and that he's able to do things he hasn't done in a year, such as change the channel with a remote control, also will try to pay back Burnet.

Fulbright said the Burnet coaches asked him to attend the game. He accepted the offer and said he'll even try to get a sideline pass to cheer for Burnet.

E-mail smcdonald@dallasnews.com

Gainesville (14-0) vs. Burnet (14-0), Class 3A Division I final, 8 p.m. Saturday, Texas Stadium, Irving.

<small>[ December 13, 2003, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

Rabbit'93
12-13-2003, 10:57 AM
Man what a great story!

3afan
12-13-2003, 11:04 AM
-

<small>[ December 13, 2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: 3afan ]</small>

LH Panther Mom
12-13-2003, 11:09 AM
Thanks for sharing with us.

MonkeyJoe
12-13-2003, 12:59 PM
Rabbit'93:
Man what a great story!I agree...

District303aPastPlayer
12-13-2003, 01:06 PM
i gotchills reading the story...

jrh
12-13-2003, 01:44 PM
I read the artical in the Dallas Morning News and was very impressed with it. Burnet raised a lot of money for such a small town ($100,000.00) I know Burnet has good people as well as a good football team. I hope the best team wins, and being from Gainesville, I hope it's us.