PDA

View Full Version : Brazosport-Sealy Game 1 Story

Scoop27
05-22-2015, 09:06 AM
By DON CUDD sports@thefacts.com | 0 comments

FREEPORT — The Brazosport Exporters rode a 13-strikeout performance from Aaron McIntyre to a 5-0 win against the Sealy Tigers in Game 1 of the best-of-three Class 4A Region IV quarterfinal series Thursday.

The teams are set to face off in Sealy at 5 p.m. today for Game 2. If Game 3 is necessary, it will follow 30 minutes later.

“We expect (McIntyre) to compete on the mound,” said Brazosport Coach Ken Schulte. “And, true to our identity, we get a couple of hits, they make a mistake, and we get five runs.”

McIntyre allowed Tiger hitters to punch three singles in his complete-game shutout. After working his way out of a first-inning jam in which he walked the bases loaded, he settled in for the rest of the game, walking just one more batter in the fifth inning.

“I fixed my mechanics,” McIntyre said. “You have to keep fixing it and fixing it. That’s what I did.”

Though McIntyre’s complete-game shutout was the highlight of the evening for the Exporters, the offense supplied a show of its own in the third inning.

All nine Exporters came to the plate in the third. A two-run home run from Luis Saucedo started the scoring, knocking in Travis Simmons, who reached on a leadoff single.

The Exporters took advantage of problems in the Sealy defense for the rest of their runs.

Jeremiah Credit, pinch-running for Jay Hernandez, scored on Michael Traylor’s shallow single up the middle. The Sealy center fielder’s throw was bobbled by the catcher on what would have otherwise been a very close play at the plate.

Josh Luna then drove a ball past a diving Tiger third baseman, and the left fielder kicked the ball toward the infield, giving courtesy runner Phillip Allen and Traylor time to score.

“We got the right (base-runners) in there at the right time,” Schulte said. “Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn’t. But, with Jeremiah and Phil being in there, speed put pressure on the other team. ... When they score, it makes you look like a good coach.”

The Exporters also benefited from six impressive defensive plays at the hands of third baseman Jon Reyes. In five of the seven innings, Reyes fielded hard-hit balls deep into the hole and delivered lasers to first for the out each time.

“Yeah, he (Reyes) helped a lot,” McIntyre said. “That was really nice. I thank Jon for that.”

The Exporters scored their five runs on seven hits off Tiger starter Will Cerny. The Tigers committed three errors.

The Ships improved their season record to 19-10, while Sealy fell to 17-9.

Traylor will be on the mound for Brazosport today at Sealy.

“We want to go over there and go 1-0,” Schulte said. “We don’t want to win one out of two.”