PDA

View Full Version : Home Schoolers may be able to play with their public school friends.

Rabid Cougar
05-13-2015, 02:11 PM
http://www.empowertexans.com/under-the-dome/home-school-students-score-in-texas-senate/

As long as they are in that school district I dont have a problem with that. They pay thier taxes too. Question is will they count in the dailey attendance? It could impact those schools bumping the classification ceiling.

Macarthur
05-13-2015, 02:20 PM
This is a bad bill.

Wonkas_Willy
05-13-2015, 02:37 PM
What makes it a bad bill exactly?

cougartino
05-13-2015, 03:15 PM
What makes it a bad bill exactly?

It's Cosby. Sorry, I couldn't resist. :taunt:

Macarthur
05-13-2015, 03:44 PM
These folks have exercised their right to not attend public schools. They have every right to do so. I don't think they should then be able to have their cake and eat it too. Public school athletes have to follow certain policies, maintain standards and be a good citizen in their school to be a part of a team. Those that simply walk into the school when it's time for practice, don't have do any of that.

There are other reasons, but I think this gets to the heart of it.

Macarthur
05-13-2015, 03:49 PM
Another issue is that schools get paid when students attend. This creates a problem when schools have to provide goods and services for athelets that are not students.

Does anyone think it's okay for a kid to play for a school in a UIL sanctioned event when they don't attend that school? This makes no sense to me at all.

slingshot
05-13-2015, 07:12 PM
I think I smell Dan Patrick...

XMan
05-14-2015, 05:52 AM
This could also create an enrollment # problem. Example: 2A school but then you get 50 "homeschoolers" to come on in and play athletics. Do these kids bump you up to a 3a or are they not counted? Would homeschoolers have to play for the school in which attendance zone they reside, or could they just pick and choose where they play? Best thing to do is have coaches have a gentlemans agreement that they will NEVER play any homeschoolers on their teams. If they did that, there would be no issue.

cougartino
05-14-2015, 08:34 AM
Another issue is that schools get paid when students attend. This creates a problem when schools have to provide goods and services for athelets that are not students.

Does anyone think it's okay for a kid to play for a school in a UIL sanctioned event when they don't attend that school? This makes no sense to me at all.

1. Wasn't there a team made up of home school kids?
2. I like the idea of kids who attend a school that doesn't have athletics being able to participate with a school in their district that does have athletics. But I agree with you, if the entre is not good enough, then they don't get to choose a dessert. Non UIL schools/events? Knock yourself out!

pancho villa
05-14-2015, 09:08 AM
First of all home schoolers don't have public schhool school friends. (They are dorks)
Second they don't follow the same rules.
Third they may pay taxes but the school would have to pay for them to play and not get state funding.(equ.,food,trans.,)
Forth nobody wants them anyway. We have enough wimps at school without them.

Macarthur
05-14-2015, 09:10 AM
This could also create an enrollment # problem. Example: 2A school but then you get 50 "homeschoolers" to come on in and play athletics. Do these kids bump you up to a 3a or are they not counted? Would homeschoolers have to play for the school in which attendance zone they reside, or could they just pick and choose where they play? Best thing to do is have coaches have a gentlemans agreement that they will NEVER play any homeschoolers on their teams. If they did that, there would be no issue.

The bill does require that they play for the school in which they decide, but your point about enrollment is valid.

This is just a bad bill.

hookandladder
05-14-2015, 10:43 AM
First of all home schoolers don't have public schhool school friends. (They are dorks)
Second they don't follow the same rules.
Third they may pay taxes but the school would have to pay for them to play and not get state funding.(equ.,food,trans.,)
Forth nobody wants them anyway. We have enough wimps at school without them.

I bet we all know one of those wimps you talking about, LOl.

Cam
05-14-2015, 01:03 PM
I was home schooled once.....my wife asked me to throw out the trash...I didn't do it....and I learned that a broom handle upside the head doesn't feel very good!!!:vrycnfsd:

hollywood
05-14-2015, 05:46 PM
No way! Not a good idea at all. Keep them separated. If home schooled kids don't want to (or their parents don't want them to) attend public schools, they shouldn't be allowed to participate in public school funded extra coricular activities.. Period!