PDA

View Full Version : Well, since everyone else is bragging...

slingshot
04-23-2015, 02:20 PM
My middle son, who is a Junior BioChemistry/PreMed major at ACU, landed a 3 month summer undergrad cancer research fellowship slot at MD Anderson. Very proud of him! He researched all the programs out there, filled out the apps, got letters of recommendation, made the calls, etc and got the highly contested and prestigous position--did not ask me to make calls or call in favors from colleagues, etc. Did this one on his on.
You may recall a few years ago my post (and the pain I felt when one of my kids was hurting) after he fractured his hip during the final pre-season scrimmage before his senior year at Wylie. He was on the sideline the entire season in a wheelchair. Anyway, he has rebounded and has great focus on hopefully being a much better doctor than his old man (prob won't take much!).

Cam
04-23-2015, 02:36 PM
My middle son, who is a Junior BioChemistry/PreMed major at ACU, landed a 3 month summer undergrad cancer research fellowship slot at MD Anderson. Very proud of him! He researched all the programs out there, filled out the apps, got letters of recommendation, made the calls, etc and got the highly contested and prestigous position--did not ask me to make calls or call in favors from colleagues, etc. Did this one on his on.
You may recall a few years ago my post (and the pain I felt when one of my kids was hurting) after he fractured his hip during the final pre-season scrimmage before his senior year at Wylie. He was on the sideline the entire season in a wheelchair. Anyway, he has rebounded and has great focus on hopefully being a much better doctor than his old man (prob won't take much!).

"It ain't braggin' if it's true" --- singer/songwriter/guitarist Mike Rayburn

...and besides...being humble gets boring!!...Humbleness gives you ulcers...makes you keep everything inside!....Humans are built to share with the world....:D:crazy1:

Congrats to him!...sounds like a motivated young man!!!....:2thumbsup

1st and goal
04-23-2015, 03:55 PM
Congrats to him. It takes a special kind of person to deal with cancer patients on a day in day out basis. I know I couldn't do it. (I'm not a Dr either, just sayin')

When I think I'm having a bad day, all I have to do is sit down and remember seeing those kids in MD Anderson. Tears follow quickly and things fall into perspective.

God bless and prayers for all cancer patients, the medical staff, and for the researchers to find more and more cures.

slingshot
04-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Congrats to him. It takes a special kind of person to deal with cancer patients on a day in day out basis. I know I couldn't do it. (I'm not a Dr either, just sayin')

When I think I'm having a bad day, all I have to do is sit down and remember seeing those kids in MD Anderson. Tears follow quickly and things fall into perspective.

God bless and prayers for all cancer patients, the medical staff, and for the researchers to find more and more cures.I frequently see cancer patients... agree I couldn't do it on a day in/day out basis either. Luke seems to have a genuine interest in cancer research and is an incredibly compassionate young man. We need more like him (starting to sound like an overly-proud Papa I know... ). To give an example of who he is: last year he asked several times for extra money for groceries. My wife and I thought it strange as he had a cafeteria plan prepaid at 'The Bean' (ACU's food court) and was still asking for more. When we quizzed him about what was going on we found out he was using his cafeteria plan to buy sandwiches and fruit then making lunch bags and taking it to the homeless people under the bridge. He knew them all by name... I could not get mad at him. Not many 20 yr olds like that.

bobcat1
04-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Nice!:clap:

44INAROW
04-23-2015, 08:42 PM
Awesome... Congrats on raising such a caring and intelligent son. I know you're super proud👏

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hollywood
04-23-2015, 09:25 PM

These kind of stories can only make one smile. Great job on raising the young man. Bright future ahead.

FB-fanatic
04-23-2015, 09:27 PM

Congrats Slingshot! Med School is *very* competative, especially with a down economy and larger numbers of students opting to stay in school and continue to the professional school. That research resume will make a difference when applying for Med School time comes.

My oldest, who played 4 years of Rugby for Texas A&M, flew to Atlanta Monday to take STEP 2 test. Nine months from being bonified MD.

Cam
04-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Congrats Slingshot! Med School is *very* competative, especially with a down economy and larger numbers of students opting to stay in school and continue to the professional school. That research resume will make a difference when applying for Med School time comes.

My oldest, who played 4 years of Rugby for Texas A&M, flew to Atlanta Monday to take STEP 2 test. Nine months from being bonified MD.

:2thumbsup

panfan
04-24-2015, 06:43 AM
Very Nice! Congrats.:clap:

1st and goal
04-24-2015, 06:44 AM

Congrats and best hopes for the test FB.

slingshot
04-25-2015, 12:35 AM

My oldest, who played 4 years of Rugby for Texas A&M, flew to Atlanta Monday to take STEP 2 test. Nine months from being bonified MD.Congrats--you must be (and righfully so!) very proud...

slingshot
04-25-2015, 12:36 AM
sorry--DP