PDA

View Full Version : UIL may move state football championships to NRG Stadium in Houston

Scoop27
04-22-2015, 09:51 PM
http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/UIL-title-games-may-move-after-NFL-schedules-6218016.php

1st and goal
04-23-2015, 04:10 PM
would be cool with me. Bet the DFW folks will be P. O'd. if it happens

Roughneck93
07-08-2015, 05:31 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1614625761/markberman_20090130161043636_107_80_reasonably_sma ll.JPG (https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26)Mark Berman
‏@MarkBermanFox26 (https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26)

Sources:NRG Stadium to host 10 Texas HS State championship games In football Dec.17-19. An artificial field which will be used for the games

1:09 PM - 8 Jul 2015

WOS87
07-08-2015, 05:55 PM
I hope so! Then you can all come hang out with me!

Rabid Cougar
07-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Needs to.

Saggy Aggie
07-08-2015, 09:52 PM
Hell yeah....

Yoe_09
07-09-2015, 08:22 AM
I have no problem with it. AT&T is the nicest out there, but I still feel this should be rotated. This is easy for me to say when there is hardly any difference in travel time between DFW, Houston, and San Antonio, but I think it would be the best option overall.

It will be interesting to see the attendance numbers compared to previous years. This will be important.

HEMOTOXIC
07-09-2015, 09:15 AM
I have no problem with it. AT&T is the nicest out there, but I still feel this should be rotated. This is easy for me to say when there is hardly any difference in travel time between DFW, Houston, and San Antonio, but I think it would be the best option overall.

It will be interesting to see the attendance numbers compared to previous years. This will be important.

I agree, AT&T is the nicest stadium out there but NRG is nice as well. If there is to be a predetermined location, I too believe that those locations should be rotated.

44INAROW
07-09-2015, 10:19 AM
I hope so! Then you can all come hang out with me!

I hope so too.... 2 1/2 hours from my driveway.. Awesome :)

Matthew328
07-09-2015, 11:04 AM
If attendance takes a big dip UIL will have the out to not have it in Houston again...will be interesting to see the numbers

speedbump
07-09-2015, 11:42 AM
If attendance takes a big dip UIL will have the out to not have it in Houston again...will be interesting to see the numbers

If the Dallas area fans support their teams the way Houston area fans do,there won't be much of a change in attendance. We shall see.

slingshot
07-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Sucks. Way too far for most of the state... Wish they would bo back to Austin.

pirate4state
07-09-2015, 02:19 PM
NRG Stadium stinks!

ICML
07-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Too far for the average fan to drive, the numbers are going to drop dramatically.

Roughneck93
07-09-2015, 03:49 PM
I can't wait. Barely an hour drive for me.

toddg
07-09-2015, 03:50 PM
I'd much rather go to Arlington than Houston.. Most would agree

Emerson1
07-09-2015, 04:08 PM

Austin has a dome stadium?

I know outdoor football games are better, but if you schedule all the games in one spot and there is a week of storms or freak ice then you are screwed.

Rabid Cougar
07-09-2015, 08:01 PM

There will be a drop because there won't be home games for Guyer and Allen. Makes no difference for Cameron, its actually closer for the Yoemen.

Rabid Cougar
07-09-2015, 08:01 PM
I'd much rather go to Arlington than Houston.. Most would agree

Not most.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-09-2015, 11:35 PM
I'd much rather go to Arlington than Houston.. Most people who live in the DFW area would agree

I fixed your post, sir. For accuracy.

Let's face it, Arlington and the DFW area was starting to monopolize the State Championship. IMHO, that's something that should NEVER be monopolized. The venue should change every year and the rotation should include all areas of the state so that others who have never seen Championship games can get the opportunity to do so.

cougartino
07-09-2015, 11:49 PM
My job moved me to Dallas from Houston in April. Aw crap!

Weebe
07-10-2015, 08:34 AM

It's farther for those in north Texas and the panhandle.

It's closer for Austin, SA, Houston, Corpus and the RGV.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-10-2015, 10:28 AM
It's farther for those in north Texas and the panhandle.

It's closer for Austin, SA, Houston, Corpus and the RGV.

LMAO! It's farther for those in North Texas? Pfft, suck it up!

I'm not sure if you're referring to Austin or Houston, but let's compare notes, shall we? I'll use the RGV as a point of reference.....

Dallas to Houston - 3 to 3.5 hrs (maybe 4 depending on traffic)
RGV (let's say Harlingen) to Houston - 5 to 5.5 hrs

Dallas to Austin - 4 hrs
RGV to Austin - 6 hrs (this DOES NOT include possible traffic issues driving through San Antonio)

You have NO REASON to complain about either locale North Texas folks!

Now, for good measure.....

Dallas to Arlington - 30 minutes to 1 hour
RGV to Arlington - 10 hours (also does not include possible traffic issues driving through both San Antonio and Austin)

Um.......yeah.........

Weebe
07-11-2015, 06:53 AM
I wasn't complaing. Houston is a better location based on proximity to the major population centers in Texas.

Lion70
07-11-2015, 07:27 AM
Bottom line is one

1. Most states do not have to worry because high school football is beyond popular.
2. Not every state has an option with multiple indoor venues Aka lousiana, ark ect...

3. Going to be rotated anyways so houston deserves a shot as well.

Personally I don't care cause I am willing to travel. 3 hrs to houston vs almost two to Arlington. I rather not go to San Antonio though.

Aesculus gilmus
07-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Personally I don't care cause I am willing to travel. 3 hrs to houston vs almost two to Arlington. I rather not go to San Antonio though.

You took the words right out of my mouth. From Gilmer, if you go 70, you can get to Arlington in about 2 to 2.5 hours and to Houston in 3.5 to 4.

Of course, the godawful traffic that comes with having 6 to 7 million people packed into a metropolis slows traffic down the closer you get to the big city, so the duration will vary depending on that.

Makes little difference to me where it is. I only went to AT&T once and that was enough. I look forward to the change. I only hope I have a reason to go to NRG.

Aguilafanatico
07-11-2015, 11:30 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth. From Gilmer, if you go 70, you can get to Arlington in about 2 to 2.5 hours and to Houston in 3.5 to 4.

Of course, the godawful traffic that comes with having 6 to 7 million people packed into a metropolis slows traffic down the closer you get to the big city, so the duration will vary depending on that.

Makes little difference to me where it is. I only went to AT&T once and that was enough. I look forward to the change. I only hope I have a reason to go to NRG.
:iagree:

waterboy
07-13-2015, 08:48 AM

I agree with your last paragraph. It's more like 4.5 hours when you consider traffic, though. It would, however, be worth it if we make it there. No doubt AT&T is the nicer venue, but that place gives me a headache, lol. I'd definitely be willing to try NRG to see if it's any better on the head. The main thing is to have a very good reason to be there. If the Buckeyes are there, I'm there, regardless of the venue.

Rabid Cougar
07-13-2015, 09:45 AM
waco

waterboy
07-13-2015, 10:55 AM
waco

:foul::mad::tongue:

:doh::D Ain't happening!

HEMOTOXIC
07-13-2015, 11:54 AM
LOL at most of you complaining about having to drive to Houston... Selfish? Yes, just think of the travel expenses that Navasota, Katy, WOS, HISD, etc had to endure over the last couple years alone.

I'm also confused as to how NRG is good enough to host it's second Super Bowl in many years but not good enough for high school football.

Will the attendance go down? Maybe. Is NRG on the same level as AT&T, no, but no stadium is in my opinion.

Rabid Cougar
07-13-2015, 12:15 PM
waco

People sure don't mind driving to Waco for umpteen rounds of playoff games. Worked six playoff games Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving at Baylor Stadium. That didn't count the four games at Midway and three at WISD the same days.

Used to be at least three SC games in Waco every year.

waterboy
07-13-2015, 12:29 PM
People sure don't mind driving to Waco for umpteen rounds of playoff games. Worked six playoff games Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving at Baylor Stadium. That didn't count the four games at Midway and three at WISD the same days.

Used to be at least three SC games in Waco every year.

Build a climate-controlled stadium with at least 4 dressing rooms that sits at least 50K people, then we can bring Waco into the rotation.

slingshot
07-13-2015, 12:43 PM
LOL at most of you complaining about having to drive to Houston... Selfish? Yes, just think of the travel expenses that Navasota, Katy, WOS, HISD, etc had to endure over the last couple years alone.

I'm also confused as to how NRG is good enough to host it's second Super Bowl in many years but not good enough for high school football.

Will the attendance go down? Maybe. Is NRG on the same level as AT&T, no, but no stadium is in my opinion.7 hours to Houston... LOL?

Aesculus gilmus
07-13-2015, 01:20 PM
It's more like 4.5 hours when you consider traffic, though.

I don't ever consider traffic. I drive like a bat out of Hell. Just kidding.

I think I could get to NRG in 4 if I left Gilmer at, say, midnight. The stadium is 233 miles from downtown Gilmer.

I'd be like those poor West Orange-Stark Mustangs who had to get up in the wee hours of Friday morning and drive in their old yeller school buses to the championship game in Arlington while the Buckeyes were staying at a hotel a few miles from AT&T after disembarking from their charter buses.

Rabid Cougar
07-13-2015, 01:36 PM
Build a climate-controlled stadium with at least 4 dressing rooms that sits at least 50K people, then we can bring Waco into the rotation.

You are just anti-Waco.

waterboy
07-13-2015, 01:42 PM
I don't ever consider traffic. I drive like a bat out of Hell. Just kidding.

I think I could get to NRG in 4 if I left Gilmer at, say, midnight. The stadium is 233 miles from downtown Gilmer.

I'd be like those poor West Orange-Stark Mustangs who had to get up in the wee hours of Friday morning and drive in their old yeller school buses to the championship game in Arlington while the Buckeyes were staying at a hotel a few miles from AT&T after disembarking from their charter buses.

Believe me, you don't drive any faster than I do, and after the highway changes to 59 the speed limit goes up to 75 (a suggested speed limit :D ). I count all contingencies and average them out, including stops for drinks, eats, or facility use, plus getting into the parking lot. That way I can add at least a half hour or more for any delay to get there on time. Just thinking ahead.

d0tc0m
07-13-2015, 01:49 PM
I'll be honest, I miss the days of yore, when there was no set location, and the teams had to agree on a neutral field. It's probably more nostalgia than anything, but it was fun to be the only game at a certain field for the day. And it was nice seeing the teams celebrate and enjoy the win out on the field, taking their time and soaking it all in with the fans. Now, you win, you're rushed off and the next teams come out. It's too methodical and rigid for my taste. But I understand the reasoning behind it. I don't like it. But I understand it.

HEMOTOXIC
07-13-2015, 01:52 PM
7 hours to Houston... LOL?

I get that, but that's no difference in someone from far south Texas or West Texas wanting to watch the games.

Matthew328
07-13-2015, 05:54 PM
If the Dallas area fans support their teams the way Houston area fans do,there won't be much of a change in attendance. We shall see.

The crowds come from the neutral fans who show up...the fans of teams will show up either way

I've had multiple people in Houston and San Antonio tell me they dont think the crowds will be as big because they dont think the neutral fan in Houston will come out...I guess we'll see if they are proven right or wrong

Scoop27
07-13-2015, 06:26 PM
I don't think many neutral fans from the city of Houston will show up. Houston ISD as well as Rice and UH fans don't even draw much for their games. Most neutral fans will come from the smaller towns within a two hour radius

Saggy Aggie
07-13-2015, 09:41 PM
I can't wait.

20 minute drive & I don't have to get a hotel. :-)

cougartino
07-13-2015, 10:07 PM
No matter where these games are held, there will always be a score of fans who are unhappy about the drive. But correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the UIL reimburse travel expenses in the championship round? And there are always lots of charter buses. I drove from Houston the Dallas last year and will do vice versa this year. Now I will admit, I'll have plenty of free places to stay next time. Nothing like a 2 piece meal at Frenchy's with dirty rice, a scrawberry soda, and a peppa!

Matthew328
07-13-2015, 10:56 PM
No matter where these games are held, there will always be a score of fans who are unhappy about the drive. But correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't the UIL reimburse travel expenses in the championship round? And there are always lots of charter buses. I drove from Houston the Dallas last year and will do vice versa this year. Now I will admit, I'll have plenty of free places to stay next time. Nothing like a 2 piece meal at Frenchy's with dirty rice, a scrawberry soda, and a peppa!

I dont think the UIL reimburses travel but in theory the larger crowds = larger gate for the schools to take to offset expenses

WOS87
07-14-2015, 04:35 AM
You go where you have to go. Dallas isn't exactly the most central location either. Cypress Ranch, Katy, Navasota, WO-S and Newton were MUCH closer to Houston last year with Cameron, Mason and Bremond pretty much equidistant between the two. The Panhandle folks will have the worst time and if by some miracle a far West Texas team (i.e. Canutillo) happens to make it, but hey.. if you make it to the State Championship I really don't think it will change anything in regards to support. I fully expect all the DFW followers to invade Houston. And neutral fans in Houston aren't just HISD and college fans... there are the Katy schools, Fort Bend schools, Aldine schools, Galena Park schools, Cypress schools, Klein schools, Spring schools, Tomball schools, Conroe/Woodlands schools, Humble schools, Clear Lake schools, Pearland schools, Spring Branch schools, Alief schools, Alvin/Manvel schools, Pasadena/Deer Park/La Porte/Channelview/Baytown schools etc. all within 30 miles of the stadium not even naming the lower classifications.

Rabid Cougar
07-14-2015, 05:48 PM
I don't think many neutral fans from the city of Houston will show up. Houston ISD as well as Rice and UH fans don't even draw much for their games. Most neutral fans will come from the smaller towns within a two hour radius
You think smu tcu and north Texas fans pack their stadiums????

Katy and Pearland will be the big draw in Houston. The town of Cameron will be there regardless.

WOS87
07-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Less people have graduated from Rice in 103 years than are currently enrolled at UT or A&M. My graduating class had less than 500 people which wouldn't even be a 6A high school. Rice Stadium, which seats 75,000, could hold everyone that ever went to Rice and still be less than half full. They built it that size to host all the old Southwest Conference fans. Very few people go to Rice football games to watch the football, or at least they didn't used to. They went to see the Marching Owl Band make fun of whomever we were playing. I'm looking forward to the Finals in Houston and plan to be there. Yes, San Antonio would probably be a better central location but oh well, complain to the UIL.

Aesculus gilmus
07-15-2015, 02:54 PM
http://lubbockonline.com/texas/2011-05-03/spot-marking-texas-population-center-barely-moves#.VaZX0MaqpBc

Someone needs to build a domed stadium near Holland, Texas.

Rabid Cougar
07-15-2015, 03:23 PM
http://lubbockonline.com/texas/2011-05-03/spot-marking-texas-population-center-barely-moves#.VaZX0MaqpBc

Cool! I'd vote for that!!!!

Saggy Aggie
07-15-2015, 07:15 PM

Lol....

BwdLion73
07-15-2015, 08:14 PM

The geographic center of Texas is about 26 miles south of Brownwood on 377. ;)

lostaussie
07-16-2015, 05:14 PM
You are just anti-Waco. Thats a 10-4:D

waterboy
07-17-2015, 07:25 AM
You are just anti-Waco.

Yep. :D

Get the stadium built, and I might reconsider...:wave:

Gsquared
07-17-2015, 07:59 AM
Sweet! Just made my hotel reservations.

BB BULLS
07-17-2015, 09:19 AM
you will fill closer to the action at nrg & you dont have to keep looking at that big ass tv over the field

Rabid Cougar
07-17-2015, 02:46 PM
Yep. :D

Get the stadium built, and I might reconsider...:wave:

I am truly glad that I had a hand in creating yours and lostaussies despisal of Waco....... :evilgrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx5C87L7Qjg

waterboy
07-17-2015, 04:20 PM
I am truly glad that I had a hand in creating yours and lostaussies despisal of Waco....... :evilgrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx5C87L7Qjg

Been to Waco many times and never liked the place. Those two ice cold December football finals were just what sealed the deal completely.

Roughneck93
07-20-2015, 04:34 PM
It's official....

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/trueblue74/30F5C887-82BA-4324-AC4C-BC52B753984B.png.jpeg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/trueblue74/media/30F5C887-82BA-4324-AC4C-BC52B753984B.png.jpeg.html)

Roughneck93
07-20-2015, 04:37 PM
UIL Press Release (http://www.uiltexas.org/press-releases/detail/houstons-nrg-stadium-to-host-2015-uil-football-championship-games)

WOS1
07-20-2015, 04:56 PM

Will the attendance go down? Maybe. Is NRG on the same level as AT&T, no, but no stadium is in my opinion.

Holla!!! 5.5 hours and we still packed the house!!

Bosqueville
07-21-2015, 08:52 AM
When Canadian makes it back to the championship game in 2A, that's a 9 1/2 hour bus ride.... OUCH!

Rabid Cougar
07-21-2015, 09:13 AM
It's official....

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/trueblue74/30F5C887-82BA-4324-AC4C-BC52B753984B.png.jpeg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/trueblue74/media/30F5C887-82BA-4324-AC4C-BC52B753984B.png.jpeg.html)

Good Deal!

waterboy
07-21-2015, 09:28 AM
I read in the paper this morning that the 4A-D1 game is at noon, while the D2 game is at 4. Can anybody confirm this?

slingshot
07-21-2015, 10:40 AM
When Canadian makes it back to the championship game in 2A, that's a 9 1/2 hour bus ride.... OUCH!...each way. 19 hrs round trip.

Aesculus gilmus
07-21-2015, 01:02 PM
http://www.uiltexas.org/press-releases/detail/houstons-nrg-stadium-to-host-2015-uil-football-championship-games

Yes, the UIL confirms this.

Aesculus gilmus
07-21-2015, 01:02 PM
There's certainly no reason to get there a day earlier. I don't like Houston enough to spend more than a day there.

waterboy
07-21-2015, 01:59 PM
There's certainly no reason to get there a day earlier. I don't like Houston enough to spend more than a day there.

No kidding. I didn't lose anything in Houston. I avoid the place like the plague even when passing through to go to Galveston. I always take Beltway 8 around town. Makes sense since my wife gets really stressed in heavy freeway traffic, and takes it out on me.

I'm glad the D1 and D2 games switched time slots. I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to make the trip.

Lion70
07-22-2015, 02:43 AM
Go through lufkin, Woodville , Kountze. It goes through the big thicket and better senery. It's the backside bolivar pensula where the ferry meets Galveston. Of course it's out of the way but you never go on I45.
I'm glad the D1 and D2 games switched time slots. I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to make the trip.[/QUOTE]

waterboy
07-22-2015, 07:22 AM
Go through lufkin, Woodville , Kountze. It goes through the big thicket and better senery. It's the backside bolivar pensula where the ferry meets Galveston. Of course it's out of the way but you never go on I45.
I'm glad the D1 and D2 games switched time slots. I don't have to get up in the middle of the night to make the trip.

I come back that way, but it takes a little longer to get there that way. Sometimes the ferry is backed up, and my family and I don't like to wait an hour just to get on it. We're a little more relaxed on our way back, too, and time is not as much of a factor. I agree, though, it's much better scenery and less stressful to go that way.

Lion70
07-22-2015, 08:03 AM
I come back that way, but it takes a little longer to get there that way. Sometimes the ferry is backed up, and my family and I don't like to wait an hour just to get on it. We're a little more relaxed on our way back, too, and time is not as much of a factor. I agree, though, it's much better scenery and less stressful to go that way.

There a back way I forget the road but it's goes right next to i45. You have to go through the local towns and the speed limit is down. Think what hwy 80 is to I 20.

waterboy
07-22-2015, 10:52 AM
There a back way I forget the road but it's goes right next to i45. You have to go through the local towns and the speed limit is down. Think what hwy 80 is to I 20.

Are you talking about Hwy 146? Goes through LaPorte and Baytown, and comes out on in Livingston? I've never been that way, but I think it would be just as easy to go the back way to Bolivar Peninsula. The ferry is not that bad, and is kind of fun to ride on, actually. I know the times of day not to try and get on it, too.

WOS87
07-22-2015, 07:31 PM
If you're coming from up north on I-45 just get on the Hardy Toll Road starting in the Woodlands... zoom down to the 610 loop.. and go the East way around to NRG. Really Quick. Avoid the Galleria area and Downtown at ALL COSTS. You're going a little overboard if you're suggesting driving through Baytown to 146, 225 and then the same East 610 Loop I just talked about. Houston traffic isn't that scary if you know what to do. And going by way of Bolivar and the ferry??? you're crazy... that will take forever. The Hardy Toll Road is cheaper than the tolls on Beltway 8 you'd be paying.

Lion70
07-23-2015, 12:05 AM
Are you talking about Hwy 146? Goes through LaPorte and Baytown, and comes out on in Livingston? I've never been that way, but I think it would be just as easy to go the back way to Bolivar Peninsula. The ferry is not that bad, and is kind of fun to ride on, actually. I know the times of day not to try and get on it, too.

Yes but the ferry plus it's an additional 50 miles ( I think) but you avoid major highways

Lion70
07-23-2015, 12:06 AM

Yes but the ferry plus it's an additional 50 miles ( I think) but you avoid major highways

waterboy
07-23-2015, 07:33 AM
If you're coming from up north on I-45 just get on the Hardy Toll Road starting in the Woodlands... zoom down to the 610 loop.. and go the East way around to NRG. Really Quick. Avoid the Galleria area and Downtown at ALL COSTS. You're going a little overboard if you're suggesting driving through Baytown to 146, 225 and then the same East 610 Loop I just talked about. Houston traffic isn't that scary if you know what to do. And going by way of Bolivar and the ferry??? you're crazy... that will take forever. The Hardy Toll Road is cheaper than the tolls on Beltway 8 you'd be paying.

Actually, we come in on US 59 normally. We then take Beltway 8 East back to I45 South (Gulf Freeway) to get to Galveston. With a total of about $3.75 toll it's worth it to avoid downtown, and traffic is not bad at all. I'm not scared of traffic at all. I lived in Dallas several months, and go there often. I have visited Houston many times also. It just depends on whether my wife is with me or not, because she gets really stressed, and that just makes me stressed. I avoid heavy traffic as much as possible. Don't won't to get caught up in a traffic jam, which happen frequently in the larger cities.

To get to NRG from 59, it's probably best to take 610 East all the way around to Fannin Street or Kirby Drive. I'll map that out if we get there.;)

Aesculus gilmus
07-23-2015, 10:23 AM
Off topic, but has anyone else noticed that hurricanes have basically stopped happening? The last one I recall in that area was Hurricane Ike in 2008.

Rabid Cougar
07-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Off topic, but has anyone else noticed that hurricanes have basically stopped happening? The last one I recall in that area was Hurricane Ike in 2008.

Just not in the Atlantic or the Gulf. Had a Tropical Depression in June. LOTS of hurricanes and typhoons in the Pacific this year.

Scoop27
07-23-2015, 10:52 AM
They just make you worry a lot

Scoop27
07-23-2015, 12:34 PM
Where will the 6 Man (Class A) championship will be played?

Matthew328
07-23-2015, 08:55 PM
No word on six man games yet..

Coaching School in Houston had a sizeable drop in attendance.....last year 13,000 coaches attended Coaching School...this year it was 10,300...about 160 credentialed media...this year only 91....will be interesting to see how attendance fares for the championships

speedbump
07-24-2015, 12:06 AM

Coaching School in Houston had a sizeable drop in attendance.....last year 13,000 coaches attended Coaching School...this year it was 10,300...about 160 credentialed media...this year only 91....will be interesting to see how attendance fares for the championships

I'm sure attendance in Dec.will be good enough. If not, maybe Houston will be given the advantage of three or four consecutive years to get it right.

speedbump
07-24-2015, 12:06 AM

I'm sure attendance in Dec.will be good enough. If not, maybe Houston will be given the advantage of three or four consecutive years to get it right.

Matthew328
07-24-2015, 07:29 PM

I need to go back and see what the attendance was the first year all 10 games were at the Death Star

Matthew328
07-24-2015, 07:40 PM

221,339 was the total attendance....

WOS87
07-25-2015, 03:21 AM
Stop boohooing... the 6A Houston schools span Regions II, III and IV. You spoiled north Texans have to suck it up and drive down here. I don't feel sorry for you.

Matthew328
07-25-2015, 07:17 PM
No boohooing here..I probably traveled more miles than just about anyone watching Texas HS Football last year....I'll happily be in Houston and will have a great time...I do believe attendance will be lower and it will give the UIL the ammo they need to not bring it back for a while...I hope I'm wrong..I like it being somewhere different..but I'm a realist as well

slingshot
07-26-2015, 07:45 PM
We just made the round trip to Houston from Abilene this weekend to visit my son... if you are in the Panhandle or West Texas there is NO good way to get there. Either you drive all the way to DFW and hit I45 or you take one of 3 different routes through Central Texas and have to pass through 47 little towns on the way (exageration... but not much). Absolutely miserable drive. Wish the UIL (University Income League) would just go back to letting the two schools playing each other for the championship decide on a neutral stadium of adequate size and be done with it... I know that will never happen, $$$$$$ rules everthing these days--as they say "just follow the Benjamins" to determine why any decision was made. Of course they claim it is so fans can see all the games in one location--while that is true, the UIL could care less about that but it does make good cover for what is a purely financial decision. <Rant Off>

waterboy
07-27-2015, 08:59 AM
The most positive thing about all the championships being in one central location is that the games are televised. That, alone, to me is worth driving whereever the UIL says. That, and the weather in December in Texas are huge.

Matthew328
07-27-2015, 07:03 PM
We just made the round trip to Houston from Abilene this weekend to visit my son... if you are in the Panhandle or West Texas there is NO good way to get there. Either you drive all the way to DFW and hit I45 or you take one of 3 different routes through Central Texas and have to pass through 47 little towns on the way (exageration... but not much). Absolutely miserable drive. Wish the UIL (University Income League) would just go back to letting the two schools playing each other for the championship decide on a neutral stadium of adequate size and be done with it... I know that will never happen, $$$$$$ rules everthing these days--as they say "just follow the Benjamins" to determine why any decision was made. Of course they claim it is so fans can see all the games in one location--while that is true, the UIL could care less about that but it does make good cover for what is a purely financial decision. <Rant Off>

I've driven from Abilene to Houston once and it wasn't that bad....best way for me was to take I-20 to Hwy 6 in Eastland then scoot.....Hwy 6 is a little dodgy til you get to Waco then its pretty much smooth sailing...