PDA

View Full Version : Goliad AD/football coach's contract will not be renewed

Scoop27
04-14-2015, 02:39 AM
From the Victoria Advocate
https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2015/apr/13/goliad-adfootball-coachs-contract-will-not-be-rene/

GOLIAD - Kyle Taylor's tenure as athletic director and head football coach at Goliad appears to be over.

By a 4-3 vote, the Goliad school district board of trustees on Monday night voted to non-renew Taylor's contract.

Taylor has been on administrative leave since mid-March after a complaint was filed by a parent and a student.

Taylor was promoted from offensive coordinator to athletic director and head football coach when John Mares retired in February.

Taylor was previously the head coach at Goliad from 1994 to 1998 before returning to the school in 2013.

Taylor attended the meeting during which five people spoke in his favor in the comments portion.

The board went into executive session for 1 hour and 37 minutes before trustee Carlos Gutierrez made the motion to non-renew Taylor's contract, which was seconded by Brandon Huber.

Gutierrez, Huber, Bob Gayle and Michelle Reitz voted in favor of the motion. Trey Wimberly, Robert DeLaGarza and Destry Gruetzmacher opposed the motion.

Taylor will remain on administrative leave until his contract with the school district expires, which Vargas said is either June or July.

"It was a very agonizing process," said Goliad Superintendent Emilio Vargas III, "and a lot of discussion regarding the decision."

Vargas has refused to be specific about the complaint against Taylor other than emphasize it did involve sexual assault or sexual contact.

About 100 people crowded into the Goliad administrative meeting for the meeting, including a number of students and coaches. A majority of those in attendance supported Taylor.

"As a parent both of my children have been influenced by coach Taylor in a positive manner," said T.J. Ross. "Our community, students, athletes miss him and want him back."

"My family has been blessed to have his influence on our kids," added Goliad High School Principal Russell Kowalik, who has known Taylor since he coached in Hallettsville.

Goliad girls track and field coach Stacy Zamzow said he regretted what Taylor and his family have experienced, and challenged the board to make the right decision.

"It's not fair in this profession you're guilty until proven innocent," Zamzow said. "Unlike the real world where you're innocent until proven guilty."

Taylor refused to comment after the meeting.

Vargas said the district would likely appoint an interim athletic director and wait to see if Taylor asked for a hearing before advertising for a new athletic director and head football coach.

"There's a whole process that involves that," Vargas said. "He will have the opportunity to seek a hearing before the board and in that process call for a full hearing with all the testimony, witnesses and to be reviewed by both sides' attorneys."

XMan
04-14-2015, 05:51 AM
I would imagine that its going to be pretty tough for Goliad to be able to attract any decent applicants for this AD position after all this. Good luck.

YTBulldogs
04-14-2015, 07:22 AM
Pitiful. Goliad just can't get things going again. Appeared headed in right direction in regards to being competitive, then this. Yes, I agree XMan, sounds like a portion of the board has their own personal agenda by the 4-3 split.

44INAROW
04-14-2015, 09:39 AM
There is a HUGE typo (maybe from the original text, I don't know)
Should read: "Vargas has refused to be specific about the complaint against Taylor other than to emphasize it didn't involve sexual assault or sexual contact"

If I was from Goliad, I'd be ashamed of what this board has done :vrycnfsd:

hookandladder
04-14-2015, 10:23 AM
There is a HUGE typo (maybe from the original text, I don't know)
Should read: "Vargas has refused to be specific about the complaint against Taylor other than to emphasize it didn't involve sexual assault or sexual contact"

If I was from Goliad, I'd be ashamed of what this board has done :vrycnfsd:

That's a huge typo error, makes more sense now that the board is most likely a big mess.

44INAROW
04-15-2015, 01:11 PM
from someone looking in from the outside (and knowing only what I've read) sure sounds like someone has/had a agenda...

Goliad AD says he never had opportunity to tell his side of story
by Coy Slavik, Advance-Guard Editor

http://mysoutex.com/pages/full_story_landing/push?article-Goliad+AD+says+he+never+had+opportunity+to+tell+hi s+side+of+story%20&id=26577515#comments_26577515

GOLIAD – Goliad athletic director/head football coach Kyle Taylor said Tuesday he never got the opportunity to speak with any school board members about allegations of misconduct that have apparently cost him his job.

Goliad ISD Board of Trustees voted 4-3 Monday night to approve a proposal of non-renewal of Taylor's contract, which expires at the end of the school year. Board members Michelle Reitz, Carlos Gutierrez, Brandon Huber and Bob Gayle voted for the proposal of non-renewal. Robert De La Garza, Destry Gruetzmacher and Trey Wimberly voted against it.

Taylor, who was in attendance Monday night when the board announced its decision, said he made efforts to speak to the seven school board members, but never got the chance.

"They don't know the story," Taylor said Tuesday.

Taylor, who was promoted to the AD and head football coach positions on Feb. 4, has been on paid administrative leave since mid-March after the school district received a complaint from a parent and student alleging Taylor of misconduct.

Goliad ISD Superintendent Emilio Vargas III said Taylor refused to meet with Goliad ISD attorneys and an independent law firm that was assigned to investigate the allegations.

"Kyle was offered an opportunity to meet with the investigators and that did not take place. He did not come in," Vargas said Tuesday morning.

Taylor said he talked with independent investigators, but did not wish to speak with the Goliad ISD attorneys. He said he tried to set up a meeting with school board members three times through Vargas and no meeting ever materialized.

"I wanted to talk to the members of the school board from the very first day," Taylor said. "Mr. Vargas said the board members wanted to ask me questions and I told him, 'Let me be there. I'd love to be in executive session. I'll answer any questions.' He told me he would get with them and get back with me. He didn't call me the next day, so I got back in touch with him and he said they had a bunch of questions. I told him, 'That's why I wanted to be there. I wanted to be there to answer questions.' "

Taylor said he learned Sunday that the board members thought he didn't want to speak with them.

"I found out two days ago that they didn't know that I wanted to talk to them," Taylor said. "I just assumed this whole time that (Vargas) was telling the board I wanted to talk to them and that they just didn't want to talk to me."

Vargas said he was not aware of any school board members speaking personally with Taylor during the investigation.

"None of them met with him during a board meeting," Vargas said. "Whether they met with him on their own, I am not sure."

Taylor said he held out hope until Monday night's meeting that he would be able to speak to the board members.

"I was hoping they would call me back there in the executive session," Taylor said. "Never have they heard my story.

"I made it very clear to (Vargas) that I wanted to talk to the school board and now I'm hearing it through the grapevine that I didn't want to talk to the school board. That's all I wanted to do. I think it would have been cleared up. I think some of them were misled that I didn't want to talk to them. That's wrong, false."

Taylor can appeal the board's decision and call for a hearing with testimonies and witnesses. He said Tuesday he didn't know which direction he would take.

"My head is swimming so much right now," Taylor said. "I don't know what I'm going to do. I'm just going to talk to my family, pray to God and see what happens."

Taylor said he was shocked by the board's decision.

"I was very, very stunned," said Taylor, who was AD and head football coach at Goliad during the 1994-98 seasons. "I've been doing this for 30 years and have never had something like this happen."

Vargas has not specifically explained the accusations, but has confirmed they did not involve any physical contact. Vargas said Tuesday he would like to be able to release more information about the allegations at the appropriate time.

"We have to go through this proposed non-renewal process," Vargas said. "We have to make sure we provide notifications to the individual involved and allow time for response and then we'll go from there."

Taylor said he was told the allegations against him were for a comment he made to a female student-trainer during a football practice. He said one of his assistant coaches was standing next to him when the alleged comment was made.

"It was funny that it wasn't brought up until almost the day when I was appointed AD," Taylor said. "Supposedly, it happened out on the field and none of my coaches were interviewed. You would think the school board would want to hear the whole story and talk to people who were out on the field."

More on this story coming to mySouTex.com.

Read more: mySouTex.com - Goliad AD says he never had opportunity to tell his side of story

YTBulldogs
04-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Not adding up.

YTBulldogs
04-15-2015, 09:47 PM
Why wasn't Kyle brought into ex.session as he wanted, and better yet, why wasn't the board advised Taylor wanted to meet with them. I smell a fish. Maybe they fired the wrong person?

regaleagle
04-16-2015, 12:21 AM
Sounds to me like Taylor found out he's better off without having to deal with these squareheads in the future. Sometimes, it's better to just move on to a better situation than try to stay and build something that may not have ever come to fruition in the first place.....because of a lack of support from those that oversee. I can remember back to how some things were squashed in that town that would have been a great benefit to the greater majority.....but a small group in control wanted to flaunt their power. Yep, it's a shame things haven't changed that much in Goliad over the decades. Same ol' small-minded squareheads that think they can run things when they really can't.

YTBulldogs
04-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Sounds to me like Taylor found out he's better off without having to deal with these squareheads in the future. Sometimes, it's better to just move on to a better situation than try to stay and build something that may not have ever come to fruition in the first place.....because of a lack of support from those that oversee. I can remember back to how some things were squashed in that town that would have been a great benefit to the greater majority.....but a small group in control wanted to flaunt their power. Yep, it's a shame things haven't changed that much in Goliad over the decades. Same ol' small-minded squareheads that think they can run things when they really can't.

:ditto: Sad times in Tigerland. 4/3 vote board split, and a Sup with an a personal agenda, never good. I agree, Kyle will be ok, just shame they had to even have him endure this smear campaign.

Wonkas_Willy
04-18-2015, 10:06 AM
Sad thing is over 100+ coaches will send their resumes because they are so hard up for a head job they will do anything to get one.

Blue42
04-18-2015, 11:06 PM
Was told by a reliable person that at the Goliad booster club you could lob a grenade in the middle of a meeting and not injure anyone.

regaleagle
04-18-2015, 11:19 PM
Was told by a reliable person that at the Goliad booster club you could lob a grenade in the middle of a meeting and not injure anyone.

Unfortunately, Booster Club members are not the ones being deprived of a well-liked HC/AD that the kids have played under. In a roundabout way maybe some feel that way, but really it's all about the student atheletes and how they perform under the tutelage of a certain coaching staff. Evidently, they felt some affection and confidence in Taylor, but that was not enough for some of those voting in the board meeting. Now it's back to square one, and some of the kids may be resentful and not even participate in some of the sports in the coming year. Not good for school morale, pride, and overall achievement.....could have adverse effects on the student body in general.

Blue42
04-18-2015, 11:38 PM
Yep I went to Goliad and had 4 AD’S in my 4 years of High School does not breed a good dynasty but it’s always been like that at Goliad. I will tell you the booster club support helps tremendously it’s a trickle down I see that as my kids go to Cuero where the booster club is huge.

regaleagle
04-19-2015, 12:35 AM
Yep I went to Goliad and had 4 AD’S in my 4 years of High School does not breed a good dynasty but it’s always been like that at Goliad. I will tell you the booster club support helps tremendously it’s a trickle down I see that as my kids go to Cuero where the booster club is huge.

Good to hear, Blue42. I was Blue #35 in my jr and sr. seasons there.....many moons ago, haha. We actually won district my senior season, and was ranked 10th in state. Had a great defense, but suffered season-ending injuires late to myself and our MLB, as well as one of the DE's and lost in bi-district. Had a great group of athletes, but the HC/AD was not what I would classify as anything close to successful. Some of the other asst. coaches were great, but they didn't run the show.