PDA

View Full Version : Aggie Baseball

1st and goal
04-10-2015, 05:19 PM
When these guys travel and they get off the bus, it looks like the football team to me. Some burly guys.

I got one word for the coaches, don't play anymore small ball. No bunts. Let 'em swing. The batting lineup is killer.

Considering they've lost 2 pitchers, they have been nothing short of awesome.

You can watch most of their games on watchESPN.

hookandladder
04-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Since no one seems interested in atm baseball, I will take the bait. ATM baseball is definitely making believers out of fans this season however just like golf since there is a playoff system, it is not how you arrive but how you finish. Props to Coach Childress for keeping his team focused on winning, atm no matter what conference they play in are representing texas baseball. Good baseball played at the college level is the best to watch, no matter your choice of school even if it is aggy baseball. LOL. As for Horn baseball this season it is more of the same, solid pitching and pitiful hitting. My Leps and Horns look very similar, some of the swings I saw last night for Texas were worst then most Little leaguers. Some times you just got to tell it like it is, atm kicking butt and Texas looking more and more like a new coach will be at the Dish next season. Until spring football game, Hookem.

1st and goal
04-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Factoid,
the Aggies have lost 3 games now. The 3 games following the losses (3 wins), they have a combined total of 38 runs. Ouch. 2 of those wins are against the opponents that gave them the loss in the rubber game. 1 against poor UTSA.

Rabid Cougar
04-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Considering they lost their Ace and their Ace closer.... Pretty damd good.

the pigs, the Vols, Cocks, LSmU and Ol'Miss all lined up. It will be interesting.

Rabid Cougar
04-14-2015, 11:27 AM
And in other news: http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/4/13/8406865/texas-longhorns-texas-a-m-aggies-baseball-series

1st and goal
04-19-2015, 10:36 PM
Aggies got a big piece of humble pie today from Arkansas. Hope they can get it together by the time they go to Baton Rouge.

hookandladder
04-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Got to watch atm baseball for the first time yesterday, they got some big boys and by their stats can really hit the long ball. It is that time of the year when your team has to start playing it's best ball of the year, atm took it on the chin by the pigs at home so now LSU is very big weekend for them to right the ship. After watching them play, it does look like they have the hitters however their pitching might be a little behind. Just like Texas, atm is in the meat of their conference schedule and both need to finish strong. Texas just to make the tourney and atm to have everything at home in the tourney, interesting to see who can finish.

Rabid Cougar
04-20-2015, 09:06 AM
Got to watch atm baseball for the first time yesterday, they got some big boys and by their stats can really hit the long ball. It is that time of the year when your team has to start playing it's best ball of the year, atm took it on the chin by the pigs at home so now LSU is very big weekend for them to right the ship. After watching them play, it does look like they have the hitters however their pitching might be a little behind. Just like Texas, atm is in the meat of their conference schedule and both need to finish strong. Texas just to make the tourney and atm to have everything at home in the tourney, interesting to see who can finish.

It was good baseball until the rain came Saturday night.

caleb_mccaig
04-20-2015, 03:01 PM
A&M's record is as solid and impressive as they come, but I've watched games with both teams and I personally believe LSU is the better team up and down.

However, that doesn't mean I'm saying A&M can't beat them. I'm really looking forward to the series. I know A&M's pitching stats are impressive, but I know LSU has one of, if not the best, SP in the country in Alex Lange and then Poche is also a high quality starter. LSU also boasts the highest batting average in the SEC, but that will come up against the lowest team ERA in the conference in A&M. Should be some quality baseball.

LSU comes into this week #1 in Perfect Game, Baseball America, D1 Baseball, Collegiate Baseball and USA Today/Coaches polls. A&M was number 2 in almost all of them except Collegiate Baseball for some reason has them at #4, random.

Edit: just saw on twitter that all but 5 tickets had been sold for the weekend series and their standing room.

1st and goal
04-21-2015, 02:51 PM
A&M's record is as solid and impressive as they come, but I've watched games with both teams and I personally believe LSU is the better team up and down.

However, that doesn't mean I'm saying A&M can't beat them. I'm really looking forward to the series. I know A&M's pitching stats are impressive, but I know LSU has one of, if not the best, SP in the country in Alex Lange and then Poche is also a high quality starter. LSU also boasts the highest batting average in the SEC, but that will come up against the lowest team ERA in the conference in A&M. Should be some quality baseball.

LSU comes into this week #1 in Perfect Game, Baseball America, D1 Baseball, Collegiate Baseball and USA Today/Coaches polls. A&M was number 2 in almost all of them except Collegiate Baseball for some reason has them at #4, random.

Edit: just saw on twitter that all but 5 tickets had been sold for the weekend series and their standing room.

A highly anticipated series for both clubs. I had been wondering if losing their 2 best pitchers was going to hurt them sooner or later and yes, it was later. It really hurt to watch them lose the re-started game Sunday and blow a 5 run lead. OUCH.

The Aggies will be motivated by the 2 losses. I think they'll split the series, but not sure who'll win the rubber game.

Rabid Cougar
04-22-2015, 11:15 AM
A highly anticipated series for both clubs. I had been wondering if losing their 2 best pitchers was going to hurt them sooner or later and yes, it was later. It really hurt to watch them lose the re-started game Sunday and blow a 5 run lead. OUCH.

The Aggies will be motivated by the 2 losses. I think they'll split the series, but not sure who'll win the rubber game.

I agree.

1st and goal
04-23-2015, 03:49 PM
Hope the showers clear out. We already know how Aggies play with rain delays...

Rabid Cougar
04-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Hope the showers clear out. We already know how Aggies play with rain delays...

That aint no lie.

1st and goal
04-24-2015, 07:05 AM
Wow, what a great game last night. Hated seeing the called 3rd strike on the Aggie with 2 outs, bases loaded, tied 3-3 in the top of the ninth. Ball was at least a foot off the plate. But that wasn't the death knell, it was the passed ball by the aggie catcher that moved the runners up and LSU took advantage of that with a timely hit. Game over.
One of the best games I've ever watched.

LSU's 2nd baseman made some great hits and plays, and then that one boneheaded play trying to do too much. I can't blame him, I'd have done the same thing.

Rabid Cougar
04-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Wow, what a great game last night. Hated seeing the called 3rd strike on the Aggie with 2 outs, bases loaded, tied 3-3 in the top of the ninth. Ball was at least a foot off the plate. But that wasn't the death knell, it was the passed ball by the aggie catcher that moved the runners up and LSU took advantage of that with a timely hit. Game over.
One of the best games I've ever watched.

LSU's 2nd baseman made some great hits and plays, and then that one boneheaded play trying to do too much. I can't blame him, I'd have done the same thing.

What do expect from Kim Mulkey's son.

Saggy Aggie
04-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Lsu runner was out.....

caleb_mccaig
04-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Lsu runner was out.....

Just like how the LSU DE was offsides?

Lol I'm honestly starting to worry about a lot of A&M people on this board and on TigerDroppings melting down due to the school's inability to beat LSU in meaningful match-ups. It's honestly starting to get a bit hilarious with the excuses.

hookandladder
04-27-2015, 11:13 AM

Lol I'm honestly starting to worry about a lot of A&M people on this board and on TigerDroppings melting down due to the school's inability to beat LSU in meaningful match-ups. It's honestly starting to get a bit hilarious with the excuses.

Its their carryover from the Big 12, LSU is their new Big Brother in the sec. LMAO

1st and goal
04-27-2015, 01:42 PM
Baseball is a funny game. The first 2 games, the Ags gave up leads late after having good pitching performances in the first 6 innings. Frustrating to leave the bases loaded in more than one inning near the end of the game. The last game, LSU beat up the Aggie pitcher, but good Aggie defense left mucho RISP. Somehow A&M won after giving up so many hits.

caleb_mccaig
04-27-2015, 02:47 PM
Baseball is a funny game. The first 2 games, the Ags gave up leads late after having good pitching performances in the first 6 innings. Frustrating to leave the bases loaded in more than one inning near the end of the game. The last game, LSU beat up the Aggie pitcher, but good Aggie defense left mucho RISP. Somehow A&M won after giving up so many hits.

LSU had very untimely hitting in the third game.

Baseball is a game where the best team doesn't always win and weird things seem to happen a good amount.

1st and goal
04-27-2015, 03:35 PM
It ain't over til it's over. :)

Still pisses me off when the umps make bad calls that throw games. Whoever let them start calling strikes when the ball is a foot outside is crazy. I want them to be graded by the computer system (balls and strikes) after each game and have to answer for it in the big leagues. Call the strike zone as the manual states it. The worst 10% of umps get culled each month if they make X number of bad calls per game. Go back to the minors. Keep them on their toes.

Yah, I'm a hard arse.

Saggy Aggie
04-27-2015, 10:05 PM

Are you saying that either of those were the correct call?

Rabid Cougar
04-28-2015, 09:08 AM

Careful. Lets not forget 1989-1995. These things tend to swing back and forth.

Rabid Cougar
04-28-2015, 09:09 AM

Still pisses me off when the umps make bad calls that throw games. Whoever let them start calling strikes when the ball is a foot outside is crazy. I want them to be graded by the computer system (balls and strikes) after each game and have to answer for it in the big leagues. Call the strike zone as the manual states it. The worst 10% of umps get culled each month if they make X number of bad calls per game. Go back to the minors. Keep them on their toes.

Yah, I'm a hard arse.

That pitch was a strike all night long.

caleb_mccaig
04-28-2015, 04:42 PM

A&M lost that football game because Kyle Allen didn't have the experience necessary to not leave the game in the refs hands and throw up a hail mary into triple coverage. Any experienced QB knows for sure whether there's a flag on a possible offsides before heaving up a ball in a game losing/winning situation like that.

The baseball call is different, especially in college. Every baseball fan goes into a game knowing that the refs aren't going to be perfect. The refs have never been and never will be perfect in this sport and that will never change. Complaining about a close out/safe call is fighting a losing battle.

The football call is different, but it still fell ultimately in Allen's hands to not lose that game on that given play and that's exactly what he did.

Saggy Aggie
04-28-2015, 09:52 PM
A&M lost that football game because Kyle Allen didn't have the experience necessary to not leave the game in the refs hands and throw up a hail mary into triple coverage. Any experienced QB knows for sure whether there's a flag on a possible offsides before heaving up a ball in a game losing/winning situation like that.

The baseball call is different, especially in college. Every baseball fan goes into a game knowing that the refs aren't going to be perfect. The refs have never been and never will be perfect in this sport and that will never change. Complaining about a close out/safe call is fighting a losing battle.

The football call is different, but it still fell ultimately in Allen's hands to not lose that game on that given play and that's exactly what he did. you didn't answer the question....

Rabid Cougar
04-29-2015, 08:41 AM

YES, Anytime that it takes TV to go to frame by frame slow motion to decide "IF" a call is correct or not then whatever the official's call was is correct.
Just like the play at the plate last night during the Aggie - Tstate game. Banger at the plate. Ump called the Aggie runner safe but it took super slow motion to decern that the Aggie runner was out by milisecond. The LSU "offside" was just as close.

msu97
04-29-2015, 12:22 PM

Yah, I'm a hard arse.

I have visited and heard talks from the pitching coaches at LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, Auburn, Kentucky and ATM...

they have video to back and the drills to help pitchers throw to certain spots... 18 inches off the ground is a strike in the SEC and has been for years... about 1 foot off the plate on either side is a strike...

not saying it is right but it is what has been consistently called a strike in the SEC for the last 5-6 years...
I myself like it... it helps... I think it is one of the reasons the SEC pitchers do so well in the pros since they can consistently throw to those spots...

I wish high school umps would widen their strike zone to help the pitchers...

that was one great baseball series... two very good teams

1st and goal
04-29-2015, 01:15 PM
I have visited and heard talks from the pitching coaches at LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, Auburn, Kentucky and ATM...

they have video to back and the drills to help pitchers throw to certain spots... 18 inches off the ground is a strike in the SEC and has been for years... about 1 foot off the plate on either side is a strike...

not saying it is right but it is what has been consistently called a strike in the SEC for the last 5-6 years...
I myself like it... it helps... I think it is one of the reasons the SEC pitchers do so well in the pros since they can consistently throw to those spots...

I wish high school umps would widen their strike zone to help the pitchers...

that was one great baseball series... two very good teams

I hated it back when Atlanta Braves had Smoltz and Maddux and they'd get the calls and the other teams wouldn't. Call it the way the original rules say, and use the new fangled computer system to give the umps a post game grade. It would be nice if there was someway to keep them honest. A frustrating weakness of the sport for a century and now they have the technology to do something about it. How often have you seen a batter take a 3-2 pitch, throw his bat and start trotting to first, and then the ump rings 'em up on their 3rd strike, just to demand respect.

I ain't saying I could do a great job of it, but for those that do, grade them to keep them on the up and up. My .02

1st and goal
04-29-2015, 01:16 PM
That pitch was a strike all night long.

Nope.

1st and goal
04-29-2015, 01:18 PM
YES, Anytime that it takes TV to go to frame by frame slow motion to decide "IF" a call is correct or not then whatever the official's call was is correct.
Just like the play at the plate last night during the Aggie - Tstate game. Banger at the plate. Ump called the Aggie runner safe but it took super slow motion to decern that the Aggie runner was out by milisecond. The LSU "offside" was just as close.

You mean safe by a millisecond. :) Even the announcers agreed.

The Aggies miss their 2 injured pitchers for sure. Also having trouble getting those timely hits when they need them.

msu97
04-30-2015, 09:51 AM
I hated it back when Atlanta Braves had Smoltz and Maddux and they'd get the calls and the other teams wouldn't. Call it the way the original rules say, and use the new fangled computer system to give the umps a post game grade. It would be nice if there was someway to keep them honest. A frustrating weakness of the sport for a century and now they have the technology to do something about it. How often have you seen a batter take a 3-2 pitch, throw his bat and start trotting to first, and then the ump rings 'em up on their 3rd strike, just to demand respect.

I ain't saying I could do a great job of it, but for those that do, grade them to keep them on the up and up. My .02

not saying i like it... but with the SEC the umpires are all fairly consistent across the board on strike zone which is awesome... I think it is what helps the SEC baseball players...

I hate even in high school we have umpires who do that as well... and it is a problem in baseball with umpires...

Rabid Cougar
05-01-2015, 08:53 AM
So what is more frustrating: an Umpire with a consistant pie plate or an umpire with a consistantly generous strike zone? The key word is "consistant".

1st and goal
05-01-2015, 02:31 PM
So what is more frustrating: an Umpire with a consistant pie plate or an umpire with a consistantly generous strike zone? The key word is "consistant".

many are not consistant. Call the plate. Let the batters hit the ball over the plate.

Saggy Aggie
05-02-2015, 08:31 PM

Lol okay... Just because the ump says it doesn't make it the correct call.....

1st and goal
05-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Held on by the skin of their teeth to sweep Tennessee.

Some of our relievers are having a tough few weeks.

Tied with LSU at the top of the SEC standings. :clap:

Rabid Cougar
05-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Held on by the skin of their teeth to sweep Tennessee.

Some of our relievers are having a tough few weeks.

Tied with LSU at the top of the SEC standings. :clap:

Well technically Vandrbuilt is a 1/2 game ahead of LSU and ATM...

caleb_mccaig
05-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Well technically Vandrbuilt is a 1/2 game ahead of LSU and ATM...

Vanderbilt is first in the east and LSU and A&M are both tied for first in the west. Big series for LSU this weekend against Mizzou.

Rabid Cougar
05-05-2015, 11:14 AM
Vanderbilt is first in the east and LSU and A&M are both tied for first in the west. Big series for LSU this weekend against Mizzou.

That one will be interesting.

1st and goal
05-21-2015, 10:25 PM
Aggies beat Vandy this evening. Beating the SEC pitcher of the year 6-1. Hung a loss on him, they did.

Will play Saturday around noon.

1st and goal
06-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Game times vs TCU
· Saturday, June 6 – 2 p.m. Central – ESPN
· Sunday, June 7 – 1:15 p.m. Central – ESPN

· Monday, June 8 –12 p.m./3 p.m./6 p.m. (ESPN2) or 7 p.m. Central (ESPN) (if necessary)