PDA

View Full Version : UT officials to release Rick Barnes as men's basketball coach

Scoop27
03-28-2015, 04:37 PM
From Austin American Statesman
Texas officials have decided to release men’s basketball coach Rick Barnes, the winningest coach in school history, a source told the American-Statesman on Saturday.

The high-level source, who is familiar with the situation, said school officials reached their final decision Saturday and plan on making an announcement either Sunday or Monday.

It’s unknown what has been communicated to Barnes, who has not returned messages left by the Statesman.

Texas hopes to hire Barnes’ successor “within a week,” the source said. It’s not clear whether Texas Men’s Athletic Director Steve Patterson would handle the search by himself or utilize a search firm, like the school did before hiring Patterson as the AD and football coach Charlie Strong.

It’s believed that officials did not want to make an announcement on men’s basketball to take away from the men’s swimming and diving team possibly winning the NCAA national championship in Iowa on Saturday night.

Patterson did not return a message left by the Statesman on Saturday afternoon.

Patterson has met with Barnes at least twice face to face and asked the 60-year-old coach to make changes, the American-Statesman reported Thursday. This season, the Horns finished tied for sixth in the Big 12 standings and posted a 20-14 overall record.

It’s believed Patterson asked Barnes to at least change some of his assistant coaches or risk being fired. After the team was eliminated from the NCAA Tournament against Butler, Barnes said he believed the assistant coaches were not the problem.

“I don’t want you guys to create stories here, OK?,” Barnes said after the Butler game. “We analyze our program every year, and I think I’ve got a great staff.”

Barnes earned $2.55 million this season and another $125,000 bonus just for making the NCAA tournament. According to USA Today, Barnes was the 11th-highest paid coach in Division I this season.

According to the terms of his contract, Barnes would receive a $1.75 million severance package if he’s terminated by the end of the month. That number drops to $1.5 million on Wednesday.

Barnes has a career record of 604-314 in 28 seasons. He won 402 games in 17 seasons at Texas.

Phil C
03-28-2015, 06:20 PM
:1omg!::(

YTBulldogs
03-28-2015, 07:41 PM
About time IMO. Can't finish.

1st and goal
03-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Can't get too far when all your recruits are so good, they opt for the draft.

He's not poor, I don't feel sorry for him. He had a good long run. Just the crappy nature of the biz.

Saggy Aggie
03-28-2015, 10:35 PM
I wish A&M would can Kennedy

Lion70
03-29-2015, 03:24 AM
I wish A&M would can Kennedy

+1 if he doesn't do anything with great recruiting class next year he is gone.

YTBulldogs
03-29-2015, 09:06 AM
Per YahooSports:

The list could and likely will start with Wichita State’s Gregg Marshall. He’s been choosy and driven some hard bargains that ultimately have led to him staying at Wichita for eight seasons, and it’s worked out splendidly for him – his record over the last three years is 95-15, with one Final Four and one undefeated regular season.

But this is the kind of job the Wichita State coach doesn’t turn down. There is no reason why the right coach shouldn’t turn Texas into a perennial top 10 program – and get rich(er) in the process.

Sources told Yahoo Sports that Marshall already had signaled Alabama not to waste its energy putting together a whopper offer for his services, because he had his eyes on Texas. So this conceivably could be a short courtship – if anything can get done simply in Austin.

(At Alabama, the search to replace Anthony Grant could be getting dicey. Marshall is off the table and VCU coach Shaka Smart is extremely unlikely to replace his buddy Grant. Archie Miller can afford to stay at Dayton and wait for the right time and place – and Alabama seems like neither. Latest name in the mix in Tuscaloosa is Minnesota coach Richard Pitino, who may be parlaying his father’s connection to former Alabama coach C.M. Newton, who certainly has the ear of decision makers at ‘Bama.)

If Marshall isn’t the guy at Texas, Smart might be. Smart has been choosy, too, staying six seasons at the school he improbably took to the 2011 Final Four. He’s won at least 26 games every season and it’s very easy to conceive of Smart eventually cutting down Final Four nets in the right circumstance.

Should the Texas search fail to land either Marshall or Smart, Xavier’s Chris Mack merits consideration. Smart and Marshall have a combined three Sweet 16 appearances – same as Mack has all by himself. The only thing missing from his résumé is a Final Four.

Regardless, Texas is going to get a great coach. A better coach than the one it had – certainly better than the one it had the last seven seasons.

coach
03-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Can't get too far when all your recruits are so good, they opt for the draft.

He's not poor, I don't feel sorry for him. He had a good long run. Just the crappy nature of the biz.

I hate this lame ass excuse. He isn't the only on that has this problem. Look at Kentucky, Duke, Syracuse, hell even ATM might have this problem next year. Dude has been bad for a while. This needed to happen about 5 years ago.

Some of the names I have heard so far are:

Gregg Marshall - Whitchita State
Shaka Smart - VCU
Brad Stevens - Boston Celtics
Avery Johnson - ESPN (why? who know? Would be dumb imo)
Fred Hoiberg (sp) - Iowa St.
Brad Underwood - SFA

Saggy Aggie
03-30-2015, 06:43 PM
Looks like Shaka is the likely choice.

'Smart and strong'....

YTBulldogs
03-30-2015, 07:54 PM

'Smart and strong'....

I hope. Really like him.

Lion70
03-30-2015, 08:07 PM

'Smart and strong'....

Good combination name unfortunately.

Tejastrue
03-31-2015, 09:20 PM
For the Barnes haters...didn't take long...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/rick-barnes-to-tennessee-further-bolsters-the-sec-s-coaching-ranks-143527826.html

New Taiton
04-01-2015, 08:40 AM
One thing we can all agree upon is that, much like football, Texas will hire whichever coach they'd like.

hookandladder
04-01-2015, 08:59 AM
That's a good one, LMAO.

Macarthur
04-01-2015, 10:08 AM
One thing we can all agree upon is that, much like football, Texas will hire whichever coach they'd like.

Huh? Why not Coach K? What about Tom Izzo? Bill Self?

This is why many dislike UT.

YTBulldogs
04-01-2015, 10:12 AM

or Saban?

hookandladder
04-01-2015, 10:34 AM

Think it has more to do with texas university's being the Little brother of Texas, Lol.

Lion70
04-01-2015, 01:42 PM

Umm Strong was like there 6th choice lol.

Lion70
04-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Think it has more to do with texas university's being the Little brother of Texas, Lol.

Umm that makes no sense Texas and texas university is the same school derp

hookandladder
04-01-2015, 03:04 PM
Umm that makes no sense Texas and texas university is the same school derp

You know what I mean or you would have not responded, Little Brother school. Lol

Lion70
04-01-2015, 04:46 PM
You know what I mean or you would have not responded, Little Brother school. Lol

You keep practicing that line in the mirror. The real flagship school of Texas is A&M lol.

hookandladder
04-01-2015, 08:17 PM
You keep practicing that line in the mirror. The real flagship school of Texas is A&M lol.

You just made another aggy joke, Good one. LMAO

Saggy Aggie
04-01-2015, 11:05 PM

I think the sarcasm in his post went right over your head lol

Lion70
04-02-2015, 02:16 AM
You just made another aggy joke, Good one. LMAO

Umm joke was that 6-7 season and awesome performance against the pigs

hookandladder
04-02-2015, 06:17 AM
Umm joke was that 6-7 season and awesome performance against the pigs

Flagship school of Texas and what has this school ever won to be even consider, 5th or 6th in your conference. LMAO

hookandladder
04-02-2015, 06:17 AM

When you heading to Nigeria, Lol.

Lion70
04-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Flagship school of Texas and what has this school ever won to be even consider, 5th or 6th in your conference. LMAO

Umm your team hasn't been better since 2011 but let's not let facts get in the way.

hookandladder
04-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Umm your team hasn't been better since 2011 but let's not let facts get in the way.

Yea but see Texas has been there, your team has never been there. Does that make any sense to aggys, LMAO

New Taiton
04-02-2015, 09:08 AM
Yea but see Texas has been there, your team has never been there. Does that make any sense to aggys, LMAO

Lol. Tell us, Hook, how good did Texas used to be?

How good were they when you were enrolled at SWT?

Macarthur
04-02-2015, 09:23 AM

I guess so. My sarcasm meter might be broken. However, to my defense, there is so much that is posted here that is quite moronic, it's sometimes hard to tell what is sarcasm and what is legit. :cool:

hookandladder
04-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Lol. Tell us, Hook, how good did Texas used to be?

How good were they when you were enrolled at SWT?

NT, tell us more about your conference your in. Tell us how great it is even if your team sucks and is the laughing stock of the sec, LMAO.

Saggy Aggie
04-02-2015, 02:56 PM
I guess so. My sarcasm meter might be broken. However, to my defense, there is so much that is posted here that is quite moronic, it's sometimes hard to tell what is sarcasm and what is legit. :cool:

True.....

Saggy Aggie
04-02-2015, 02:57 PM
NT, tell us more about your conference your in. Tell us how great it is even if your team sucks and is the laughing stock of the sec, LMAO.

What's it's like to piggy back on others' accomplishments because you have none of your own?

Phil C
04-02-2015, 04:36 PM
"The UT basketball opponents are starting to get nervous." said the Sinton GodFather on the way to the snack bar for a cup of coffee.

Roughneck93
04-02-2015, 09:58 PM
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/02/shaka-smart-to-take-over-as-head-coach-at-texas/

Lion70
04-03-2015, 01:54 AM

What have you done now McFly

Lion70
04-03-2015, 02:01 AM

you might wanna stop looking at hookandladder ' s post for fact and Start using the laughing at him method. It will save a lot time .

Lion70
04-03-2015, 02:05 AM

U do realize texas was mediocre this year right. Oh wait this is the same guy who talks crap when his team was 6-7 and had taken behind the woodshed against last place team in the sec west in basically was a home game. I know facts aren't your thing.

New Taiton
04-03-2015, 09:38 AM

No, seriously. When you were a SWT Bobcat, how good was your favorite college team, the Texas Longhorns, in football competitions? Fire up the Delorean, strap Marty and Einstein in the back, and take us on a blast from the past.

YTBulldogs
04-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Welcome to Texas Shaka.:thumbsup:

regaleagle
04-07-2015, 11:39 AM
It was definitely time for a change in UT basketball. Barnes should be able to help Tennessee become competitive in the SEC again after the Bruce Pearl debacle. But UT needs a younger, more dynamic coach like Shaka leading the basketball program into the next tenure. No sense letting some of these highly-talented recruits get away to places like Duke and N.Carolina when they can play in front of their folks in Austin.