PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Condra named new El Campo football coach-AD

Scoop27
03-24-2015, 10:20 AM
From Victoria Advocate

EL CAMPO - Wayne Condra has coached at El Campo since 2003.

But until Tuesday it has been as the assistant head coach and defensive coordinator.

Condra, 52, will take over as head football coach after receiving unanimous approval of the El Campo school district board of trustees Monday night.

Condra will replace Bob Gillis, who announced his retirement earlier this month effective at the end of the school year.

"I think it's a great opportunity and an exciting time for myself," Condra said. "It's been a great place for years and years and I'm happy to be a part of it."

Gillis will continue in his duties as athletic director until his contract expires.

Condra was the defensive coordinator at Victoria High before taking over as head coach when Mark Reeve left for Plano West in 1999.

When Victoria High and Stroman merged into Memorial, Condra took over as the head coach for three seasons.

Condra had a 8-3 record at Victoria High and went 19-15 at Memorial.

Gillis was the athletic director for the Victoria school district while Condra was the head coach at Memorial.

When Gillis returned to El Campo as the athletic director and head football coach in 2003, Condra became his assistant head coach and defensive coordinator.

"It was great to have the opportunity to work with a great coach," Condra said of Gillis. "I look forward to carrying on what he's done."

El Campo won the District 12-4A, Division I championship last season and advanced to the regional playoffs before losing to state champion Navasota and finishing with an 11-2 record.

bird_fan
03-24-2015, 10:56 PM
From Victoria Advocate

EL CAMPO - Wayne Condra has coached at El Campo since 2003.

But until Tuesday it has been as the assistant head coach and defensive coordinator.

Condra, 52, will take over as head football coach after receiving unanimous approval of the El Campo school district board of trustees Monday night.

Condra will replace Bob Gillis, who announced his retirement earlier this month effective at the end of the school year.

"I think it's a great opportunity and an exciting time for myself," Condra said. "It's been a great place for years and years and I'm happy to be a part of it."

Gillis will continue in his duties as athletic director until his contract expires.

Condra was the defensive coordinator at Victoria High before taking over as head coach when Mark Reeve left for Plano West in 1999.

When Victoria High and Stroman merged into Memorial, Condra took over as the head coach for three seasons.

Condra had a 8-3 record at Victoria High and went 19-15 at Memorial.

Gillis was the athletic director for the Victoria school district while Condra was the head coach at Memorial.

When Gillis returned to El Campo as the athletic director and head football coach in 2003, Condra became his assistant head coach and defensive coordinator.

"It was great to have the opportunity to work with a great coach," Condra said of Gillis. "I look forward to carrying on what he's done."

El Campo won the District 12-4A, Division I championship last season and advanced to the regional playoffs before losing to state champion Navasota and finishing with an 11-2 record.

I had a feeling it would be Condra.. As long as Ive been a Bird Backer they have promoted from with in many times. Only twice have they gone outside the district. when they hired Ed Hickman. and Bob Gillis the first time. This isnt counting when Gillis came back.