PDA

View Full Version : Random baseball question

caleb_mccaig
03-16-2015, 12:14 PM
Just wanting some insight on a situation I heard this past weekend.

One of my really good friends' younger brother has played high school baseball for three years (sat out one due to a torn ACL) and started at 3B as a freshman. He was on, and contributed quite a bit, on two teams that were a game away from the state tournament. He's a senior now and I think my buddy said that his brother had dressed in 4-5 games (Not sure how many games the team has played, but my friend's brother was on a playoff basketball team) but had barely played. From what I've heard, and I think the situation is that there's a new coach this season, but that in those first few games he got played almost none. My friend said he sat the bench and had no idea why.

Well, turns out he got sick of it and I'm like 99% sure he quit. From what I was told, this player had sat out a total of 10 innings or so in his first two years on varsity and this season had sat out much more than that and had barely played.

I didn't play high school baseball, but I did support a lot of my friends who did, including this individual that this post regards. I'm just wondering if that's just a coach making a power play or what? The kid is one of only a few seniors and is a talented player and had proved that in year's past, I just don't get why he wouldn't play him and was wondering what anyone else thought?

hookandladder
03-16-2015, 01:21 PM
Assuming there is no issue between the coach and player it could be that there is more younger talent on this team now and he just got beat out by some younger player, I have seen players play as freshman and then end up getting beat out by youngers players in their Senior year. Without being at practice every day it would be really hard to know the real story, just my 2 cents.

XMan
03-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Im with hook and ladder, without being there its hard to assume. My question is, did the kid work hard in the offseason to improve his game or did he just assume that when baseball season started he would walk in and take a starting spot? Its hard to come out of basketball and be up to speed with guys that have been playing the past few months. Also, China Spring is playing a really tough schedule and taking their lumps.

Rabid Cougar
03-17-2015, 01:05 PM
Hook and XMan are not far off the answer.