PDA

View Full Version : Class 4A State Boys Basketball Championship: Bridgeport vs. Houston Sterling

regaleagle
03-14-2015, 12:43 PM
This Championship game will be televised at 7 PM on FSSW. In fact, all the games are being televised throughout the day on FSSW. Class 4A has a major timeslot for their game. Bridgeport has a very talented team highlighted by Devonte Patterson(Jr,6-5) and Caleb Smith(Jr, 6-1) at point guard. Patterson hit 4 3-pointers and had two slams in the semifinal game against a very good Dallas Madison team. Sterling has a well-balanced senior-laden team that has good height across the board. They are very experienced and like to run. Trouble is Bridgeport can run with the best of them. It should be interesting to see how the pace of this matchup works out on the court. Both teams may cancel each other in the speed category. Good luck to both teams. GO BULLS!!!

Bullaholic
03-14-2015, 02:29 PM
This is no gimme for Bridgeport by a long shot, regal. Houston Sterling has a very athletic, talented senior laden team that has had a lot of hard knock experience practically every week in Region III against top-drawer opponents. Should be a very good basketball game to watch. The Bulls have brought the herd from Bridgeport and they should be very supportive of our Bulls. Go Bulls!--Bring that State Title home to us....

Bosqueville
03-14-2015, 08:43 PM
Holy cow what a team Bridgeport has!!! They could hang with anyone in San Antonio (well maybe not Plano West)!! And they are Jr. heavy? wow!!!

regaleagle
03-14-2015, 09:15 PM
Bridgeport just set a precedence for future UIL boys basketball going forward. They are an absolutely impressive bunch.....only juniors.....but don't expect other schools to just sit idly by this offseason. Bridgeport's talent pool is in the stratosphere now with these talented four transfers, but I'm quite certain other similar situations will now start occurring around the state in other UIL schools. What's to keep other talented players(and their parents) from gravitating to "greener pastures" to enroll into school districts that may offer them a better chance at exposure and a better opportunity to play minutes and showcase their skills. There are many talented players that may be sitting on benches at some larger schools that are basketball rich, or perhaps deemed too young to crack the starting lineup because of the talent pool ahead of them. These younger phenoms are the ones we could possibly see moving into greener pastures in the upcoming seasons. Naturally, Bridgeport had a unique situation occur with four players coming to their school from Flower Mound Home School all at once. That may never happen again, but it will not keep transferring from happening at a greater pace going forward now, IMHO. Congrats to these fine athletes for sticking together and making it such as special season for themselves and the Bridgeport faithful. They should be the favorite next season as well to return for another shot at the State Title. Is there a team out there that could possibly contend against them in Class 4A next season??? I'm gonna predict right now that we will see at least a few that will rise to the occasion to challenge this terrific Bulls team. There's no such thing as a walk in the park in Texas sports.....is there? NO, there ain't.

Bullaholic
03-14-2015, 09:16 PM
Bridgeport Bulls- 2014-15 State 4A Basketball Champions. What an honor for them to be able to add that to the top Bridgeport's list of athletic achievements. These players excelled as a team with hard work, team chemistry, determination, and execution in all phases of the game. They made it all work together. Nobody can take that away from them. They also brought along a grateful, gym-filling, and very supportive Bridgeport following with them every game clear thru the title game. Congrats to a fine Houston Sterling team for a great season and thanks for playing a clean, very sportsman-like contest.

regaleagle
03-14-2015, 09:26 PM
I thought Houston Sterling had some very impressive players on their team as well, but just didn't have the shots fall in their favor tonite.....or we could have seen a much closer and completely different outcome. Credit the Bulls players partly for their great defensive efforts in this game that helped make that situation occur, but sometimes the ball just does not bounce in a team's favor on some nights.....and unfortunately for Sterling that's the way it went for them tonite. Great display of very high quality basketball by both teams, regardless. The fans and the viewers watching the game on TV got their money's worth. What a wonderful display of talent from both teams. They and their coaches, parents, and other teammates should all be congratulated for their efforts this season. It was a very good season in Class 4A basketball this year for both the girls and the boys teams across the state. I am very impressed as I am sure most that watched were, too.

regaleagle
03-14-2015, 09:43 PM
As fans, parents, and school administrators, and coaching staffs....it is important to remember that as long as the rules are followed we should all support the opportunities given young athletes in this great state to be able to compete and hone their skills and sometimes hidden talents in extracurricular school-sponsored and UIL-sanctioned activities. If it comes in the way of transferring to another school district legally for that student to possibly realize a better situation, then I think that is a good thing. That's what makes our school-sponsored programs more compeititive and creates an atmosphere of healthy growth for all who are involved. We all should remember that it's all about the students and what's best for them.

Celina8
03-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Congratulations to Bridgeport very talented group of young men. The Fox announcer seemed (at least to me) to want to keep reminded everyone that these kids were transfers that were home schooled in Flower Mound last year. Will these kids remain together as a group for next year or is there any chance some will transfer back to the Metroplex. Anyway Bridgeport Congratulations on a State Title and representing our District so well.

Rabid Cougar
03-15-2015, 10:30 AM
As fans, parents, and school administrators, and coaching staffs....it is important to remember that as long as the rules are followed we should all support the opportunities given young athletes in this great state to be able to compete and hone their skills and sometimes hidden talents in extracurricular school-sponsored and UIL-sanctioned activities. If it comes in the way of transferring to another school district legally for that student to possibly realize a better situation, then I think that is a good thing. That's what makes our school-sponsored programs more compeititive and creates an atmosphere of healthy growth for all who are involved. We all should remember that it's all about the students and what's best for them.

It is all high and mighty if you're the schools that continue to benefit from actions like these but it is devastating to schools and teams that are continually on the short end of these same transactions.

I have no problem with families that legitimately move because of work situations but there are numerous examples of the families moving just because of the situation you cite. All they do is change Zip codes and drive a little further to work. They are no better than Free Agents in pro sports. No loyalty to their communities or their team mates what so ever. And yea Junior, you busted your ass and paid your dues for your whole high school career but this "move-in" has college coaches beating down his door so you get to sit the bench you Sr. year. Thanks, here's a pat on the butt.

bobcat1
03-15-2015, 12:13 PM
It is all high and mighty if you're the schools that continue to benefit from actions like these but it is devastating to schools and teams that are continually on the short end of these same transactions.

I have no problem with families that legitimately move because of work situations but there are numerous examples of the families moving just because of the situation you cite. All they do is change Zip codes and drive a little further to work. They are no better than Free Agents in pro sports. No loyalty to their communities or their team mates what so ever. And yea Junior, you busted your ass and paid your dues for your whole high school career but this "move-in" has college coaches beating down his door so you get to sit the bench you Sr. year. Thanks, here's a pat on the butt. That's the part that sucks.

Celina8
03-15-2015, 12:20 PM
I do have to say this was a very cooridinated effort to get these 4 to one location, living together, funds to cover the living expenses. There was a lot work involved in all this if you start breaking down the a whole process. I don't look at Bridgeport as being at fault by any means , I just think they were told this is what is happening and it is all very legal and these kids will be enrolled in your ISD this year. As far as Bridgeport , they did what any of us would do they played the best players they had for the sport being played and it took them to a State Championship. Will this be something that Mark Cuban and his brother continue with the home they have in Bridgeport maybe that is a bigger question.

regaleagle
03-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Knocking another homegrown athlete out of his starting role AFTER he has paid his dues for several years WOULD BE an unfortunate consequence of this transfers scenario as it continues to occur across the state. We have similar situations happen in football, but in football as opposed to basketball, there are quite a few other positions that "homie" can be moved to. On most teams, the defensive squad and offensive squad encompass different players, as well as special teams allows for even more playing time for usually the younger guys that may get bumped down. Basketball doesn't require but one or two good players to change the dynamics of a team, so I can see where transfers could become problematic on a very regular basis.

catgut
03-15-2015, 08:06 PM
I do have to say this was a very cooridinated effort to get these 4 to one location, living together, funds to cover the living expenses. There was a lot work involved in all this if you start breaking down the a whole process. I don't look at Bridgeport as being at fault by any means , I just think they were told this is what is happening and it is all very legal and these kids will be enrolled in your ISD this year. As far as Bridgeport , they did what any of us would do they played the best players they had for the sport being played and it took them to a State Championship. Will this be something that Mark Cuban and his brother continue with the home they have in Bridgeport maybe that is a bigger question.
How is this not transferring for athletic reasons? No reasonable person could look at this as being anything else.

Rabid Cougar
03-16-2015, 08:48 AM
How is this not transferring for athletic reasons? No reasonable person could look at this as being anything else.

We have had two D1 player leave specifically for athletics. They can say it was for this or that. But what are the odds that the parents work took them to Fort Worth All Saints and Allen??? I personally know one parent visited Southlake Carrol, Allen, Denton Guyer and Midway before ending up in Allen. The other moved to live with mother in Fort Worth his Senior year. It was for "academic" reasons.

coach
03-16-2015, 09:27 AM
Remember a couple of weeks ago when I was told they all had lived in Bport last year and I was wrong about them moving and living in th same house....

I was at the game and will say I believe they played their best basketball of the year. They looked really really good. #12 is fun to watch. I also liked the way #1 knew what his role was with the team and performed perfectly.

coach
03-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Knocking another homegrown athlete out of his starting role AFTER he has paid his dues for several years WOULD BE an unfortunate consequence of this transfers scenario as it continues to occur across the state. We have similar situations happen in football, but in football as opposed to basketball, there are quite a few other positions that "homie" can be moved to. On most teams, the defensive squad and offensive squad encompass different players, as well as special teams allows for even more playing time for usually the younger guys that may get bumped down. Basketball doesn't require but one or two good players to change the dynamics of a team, so I can see where transfers could become problematic on a very regular basis.

Well I reported this and I was basically called a liar and all of it was just rumors....

exbull
03-16-2015, 09:39 AM
No one ever said they did not move in here. You were called a liar on all the other BS you were throwing out there.

coach
03-16-2015, 09:41 AM
No one ever said they did not move in here. You were called a liar on all the other BS you were throwing out there.

Like what? They all live together and that #2 has been eject and had several techs this year? Those are all true.

buckeyebob
03-16-2015, 11:15 AM
& they talk about us with move-ins, etc...not even close to this sort of thing

slingshot
03-16-2015, 11:49 AM
I'm sure everything was done to the letter of the rules... still, something just doesn't smell right with the whole situation. Do suspect this will open pandora's box--wholesale transferring just for athletic purposes will go from the shadows to the mainstream. Guess I'm old school--don't like it...

marler1972
03-16-2015, 12:05 PM
I am calling it now, they will be stripped of the state title by next year. A news station will start digging and find something that the UIL will use to take it away.

NastySlot
03-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Well I reported this and I was basically called a liar and all of it was just rumors....

isn't this pretty much what you were saying:

http://vype.com/dallas/2014/07/29/rising-prospect-devontae-patterson-leads-way-to-prime-time-sports-hoops-title/

coach
03-16-2015, 02:55 PM
isn't this pretty much what you were saying:

http://vype.com/dallas/2014/07/29/rising-prospect-devontae-patterson-leads-way-to-prime-time-sports-hoops-title/

Pretty much what I had said all along but the bport ppl denied it until the truth came out. Said they coudnt belive a coach would spread rumors. One even said I was spreading rumors that I heard from a parent. I then said no we heard from coaches within the district and they basically said they/i are making it up and none of the boys were move ins.

coach
03-16-2015, 03:02 PM
Similar situation when about 6 years go I said schools out of Dallas and Houston recruit and almost kicked off the board for making such a terrible statement about our high schools. About a year later a school got busted. lol

Phantom Stang
03-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Congratulations to the Flower Mound Rebels on winning a State Championship their first year in the UIL. As for Bridgeport, congrats on getting to keep their trophy in yall's case.

Seinfeld was talking about fans of pro teams in this video, but sadly it applies here as well.:dispntd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we-L7w1K5Zo

exbull
03-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Pretty much what I had said all along but the bport ppl denied it until the truth came out. Said they coudnt belive a coach would spread rumors. One even said I was spreading rumors that I heard from a parent. I then said no we heard from coaches within the district and they basically said they/i are making it up and none of the boys were move ins.

You might want to go back and read what was said before. No one said the kids were not move ins.

slpybear the bullfan
03-16-2015, 05:05 PM
First things first... Congratulations to the 2014-2015 Class 4A Boys Basketball Champions, the Bridgeport Bulls. I hope some of you had the chance to watch the team. It was a fun, awesome, incredible year.

Many on here have made some crazy comments, etc. I'm not real comfortable talking about the private lives of others, especially minors. But here are some facts about this transfer situation, the Bulls, and a few comments;

We had a family build a house and transfer into our ISD last Spring. The parents are parents/guardians to four young men who played for our school.
No one here recruited this family. Heck, we didn't have anything to offer other than a quiet rural community with some really good people.
This family could have settled down in other places; we are grateful they joined our community.

There were great pains taken to make sure everything regarding the transfer and eligibility was done above the board and the rules were followed properly.
The ISD clearly understood the situation and importance of doing so.

These young men were not "gathered up" by this family all at once to form a team; over many years they have come to the situation they are in.
They live together with their parents/guardians/other siblings as brothers and family. They are close and its readily apparent.

Since moving here, the parents and young men have been INCREDIBLY involved in the town, school, and many organizations. Just like other new families that move in.
They have lots of friends, enjoy classes, and are active in other sports/activities.
This family has gone out of their way to help raise spirit and pride in the school and programs. You would be glad to have a family like them move in to your town.

Prior to moving here these transfer students were homeschooled. They played on a homeschool league on a team with other kids called the Flower mound Rebels.
After moving in, these young men and some of the Bridgeport young men played during the summer on a Select team called the Texas Lightning and won a national tournament.

Coach Alan Green did a great job coaching these kids. His work wasn't overlooked by anyone in town.

All of these kids (transfers and kids already here) spent/spend a TON of hours playing ball together and practicing. They worked their tails off. It showed.
They don't hand out a medal just because you transfer somewhere. They do it because you win. And this team did that amazingly well.

My kids go to Bridgeport. They have classes with these transfer students. Its a small town. You talk to this family and many others. You know the stories and see what happens with your own eyes.
Obviously its been a great situation for Bridgeport, and our town has enjoyed it and rallied behind it extremely well.
Many others from other towns have cheered us on. Some others... well, some just look for/assume the bad in everything.
All of these "late-breaking" revelations are funny to us that have known about this situation for almost a year now.
Anyone could have googled this info up anytime for many months, instead of getting surprised by a really good story late into the state tournament.
If you need to know more facts about this situation feel free to dig for them yourself.

In the end, Bridgeport has it's first State Championship in Basketball. The team was special and fun to watch. Our School is excited. And our town is happy.
That's enough for this Bullfan.

slpybear the bullfan
03-16-2015, 05:18 PM

No, we said your sources were terrible because they were mixing in some bad info with a little bit of fact about one particular situation.

And they were terrible.

ahs_indian_fan
03-17-2015, 08:25 AM
It may be all above board and it may all be legit, but even as a Bridgeport supporter you can't see that it looks just a little fishy? Four kids who play on the same aau/home school/private school team or whatever they played on together all live with the same guardian(s) or parent(s) move to rural Bridgeport and it just happens that they are all great basketball players? I commend Bridgeport for crossing their t's and dotting their i's. I just can't help but think the reason for moving to Bridgeport is/was to get out from under the shadow of the transfer microscope that has become DFW. Congrats on the state championship and I'm sure we'll all see the same four kids, er team, in San Antonio again next year.

coach
03-17-2015, 08:57 AM
No, we said your sources were terrible because they were mixing in some bad info with a little bit of fact about one particular situation.

And they were terrible.

actually so far my story has been pretty accurate. tell me where my story was incorrect....

coach
03-17-2015, 09:01 AM
It may be all above board and it may all be legit, but even as a Bridgeport supporter you can't see that it looks just a little fishy? Four kids who play on the same aau/home school/private school team or whatever they played on together all live with the same guardian(s) or parent(s) move to rural Bridgeport and it just happens that they are all great basketball players? I commend Bridgeport for crossing their t's and dotting their i's. I just can't help but think the reason for moving to Bridgeport is/was to get out from under the shadow of the transfer microscope that has become DFW. Congrats on the state championship and I'm sure we'll all see the same four kids, er team, in San Antonio again next year.

They know it's fishy. They just dont want to admit it.

I will say this. They were really really good and very fun to watch. Coach Green is a heckuva coach and I loved watching how his team ran set after set after set. It would be esay to just give it to 12 and 2 and say go play but he did a great job incorporating his offense with his great talent. Its not as easy as it looks. Trust me. I can't wait to watch them next year and hopefully we get a rematch.

Also, anyone notice the shoes that the Patterson kid was wearing. They were low tops. Interesting choice for a basketball shoe.

slpybear the bullfan
03-17-2015, 02:07 PM

I think most everyone in Bridgeport knows this looks "fishy" if you read a story or hear about it. And if we were outside looking in I am sure we would make some of the same comments. And if I was covering HS Sports it would certainly be a good story.

I'm not trying to spin or apologize; just tried to put out a few facts and some background on this situation. It was great for Bridgeport, done honestly, and gave us a huge advantage.

Time to drift back off into the offseason lull... I'll try to post rebroadcast info in case anyone wants to watch the game.

cougartino
03-18-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm a Ross Sterling graduate, class of 1984. As far as I'm concerned it's over. Even if the UIL stripped Bridgeport of the title, unlike the Yates teams who were awarded the titles after they stripped that Dallas school, I wouldn't want it. I'd rather beat the team on the court, not in some administrator's office.

coach
03-18-2015, 01:53 PM
I'm a Ross Sterling graduate, class of 1984. As far as I'm concerned it's over. Even if the UIL stripped Bridgeport of the title, unlike the Yates teams who were awarded the titles after they stripped that Dallas school, I wouldn't want it. I'd rather beat the team on the court, not in some administrator's office.

On a related note, did you see Madison's fans wearing the green shirts that had the rap/poem on the back sticking it to the UIL?

cougartino
03-18-2015, 02:53 PM
On a related note, did you see Madison's fans wearing the green shirts that had the rap/poem on the back sticking it to the UIL?

I didn't see that. I sat on the La Marque side that was opposite of the Madison fans. But if they cheated, they had no one to blame but the folks who allowed the cheating to begin and foster.

coach
03-18-2015, 02:59 PM
I didn't see that. I sat on the La Marque side that was opposite of the Madison fans. But if they cheated, they had no one to blame but the folks who allowed the cheating to begin and foster.

on the back of the shirt it said:

We drop 3's and live
where we please

Fire our coaches,
take our rings,
back at state,
Despite Channel 8,
Shooting for #3,
Can't be stopped
by D.I.S.D

cougartino
03-18-2015, 03:49 PM
on the back of the shirt it said:

We drop 3's and live
where we please

Fire our coaches,
take our rings,
back at state,
Despite Channel 8,
Shooting for #3,
Can't be stopped
by D.I.S.D

They couldn't complete,
The shirts are obsolete,
Now take a seat.
BOOYAH!!!!!!

cougartino
03-18-2015, 03:49 PM
They couldn't complete,
The shirts are obsolete,
Now take a seat.
BOOYAH!!!!!!

I'm sorry. I couldn't pass that one up!

coach
03-19-2015, 10:03 AM
They couldn't complete,
The shirts are obsolete,
Now take a seat.
BOOYAH!!!!!!

lol. Thats pretty good.

slingshot
03-19-2015, 01:00 PM
They couldn't complete,
The shirts are obsolete,
Now take a seat.
BOOYAH!!!!!!LMAO... they just ran into a team that beat them at their own game. Not talking about basketball...

Matthew328
03-20-2015, 11:14 AM
http://www.smoaky.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147441

this is interesting

coach
03-24-2015, 09:27 AM

this is interesting

lol.

cougartino
03-24-2015, 11:50 AM

this is interesting

All water under the bridge (no pun intended).

regaleagle
03-25-2015, 09:08 AM
In a way, I'm happy to see a school like Bridgeport get a title in basketball instead of a Madison or Triple A or Yates. But it would have been better to have a more legit circumstance for a state champion. When you analyse it from a competitor's perspective, it's really just a stinky situation. Argyle has got knocked out by a cheating Madison club several times in the past, and there's really no recourse for those boys on that team.....or any other team that got knocked out by Madison in those years. And whos's to say they haven't been doing this in some of the years in which their teams maybe didn't win it all at state, but still won the region. This sort of thing just stinks....even if all the "t's" are crossed and the "I's" dotted according to UIL rules. There's a such thing as bending the intentions of the UIL rulebook. In this case, I believe that happened. I'm sure Sterling ain't too happy about this situation. They had a very athletic group of players out there and had a successful season. I will assume their players were 100% legit, but you never know with inner big-city schools. In basketball in particular, several "recruits" can make a huge difference in the team with only 5 players required to field a team. In football, baseball, track&field.....it's a little less impactive.

regaleagle
03-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Bottom line......dribble, dribble, squeak, squeak has become very squeaky.

cougartino
03-25-2015, 11:39 AM
In a way, I'm happy to see a school like Bridgeport get a title in basketball instead of a Madison or Triple A or Yates. But it would have been better to have a more legit circumstance for a state champion. When you analyse it from a competitor's perspective, it's really just a stinky situation. Argyle has got knocked out by a cheating Madison club several times in the past, and there's really no recourse for those boys on that team.....or any other team that got knocked out by Madison in those years. And whos's to say they haven't been doing this in some of the years in which their teams maybe didn't win it all at state, but still won the region. This sort of thing just stinks....even if all the "t's" are crossed and the "I's" dotted according to UIL rules. There's a such thing as bending the intentions of the UIL rulebook. In this case, I believe that happened. I'm sure Sterling ain't too happy about this situation. They had a very athletic group of players out there and had a successful season. I will assume their players were 100% legit, but you never know with inner big-city schools. In basketball in particular, several "recruits" can make a huge difference in the team with only 5 players required to field a team. In football, baseball, track&field.....it's a little less impactive.

Sterling benefited from the closing of Jones.

coach
03-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Sterling benefited from the closing of Jones.

Yea I think their best two players came from Jones.

slpybear the bullfan
03-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Rebroadcast info:

They will rebroadcast the 4A State Final at 12:30 AM tonight on Fox Sports Southwest.

Saggy Aggie
03-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Someone link me to coaches original comments on the matter