PDA

View Full Version : E85/Flex Fuel vs Gasoline: What is your opinion?

regaleagle
03-05-2015, 08:03 PM
I drive a 2013 F250 6.2 litre gasoline eating monster that gets about 15 mpg on the road. My son drives a 2013 Chevy Silverado w/a 305 V-8 and fills up whenever possible using Flexfuel. He says it costs right at 50 cents per gallon cheaper(no matter what the current price is) and he gets only about 2 miles per gallon less mileage. I was under the impression my big engine would not accept flex fuels because it doesn't say FLEX anywhere on the truck. I just figured that it was for more economical engines, I dunno. But after my son told me E85 means flexfuel, I did some research on both my truck and the internet. Sure enough, my truck will accept flexfuel/E85 as an alternative.....but the mileage will suffer. At 32 gals. to fill my tank and 50 cents per gallon cheaper than regular gas, that means I can save $16 per tankfull by using flexfuels. That equates to almost 7 more gals. for free over what I'm currently using . If my mileage drops by 20%, or to 12mpg.....that would only be 3 mpg less than using regular gasoline. Sounds to me like I'd be picking up 4 gals free for every tankfull despite the lowering of my trip range. In the long run, I'd be paying substantially less to drive my vehicle. Does this sound correct? Are my calculations about right and is the 20% figure about normal, or does it vary by engine size and vehicle weight?

Tejastrue
03-05-2015, 10:39 PM
:doh:

regaleagle
03-06-2015, 12:42 AM
:doh:

What does that mean? Am I missing something here, or are the calculations about right?

BwdLion73
03-06-2015, 09:46 AM
My opinion of E-fuels is not good. My first dealing with it came when I had some fleet vehicles with my work that I had parked to prepare them for auction. Fast forward a few weeks later and the vehicles won't start. E-fuel has gummed up the fuel pumps! I had to get the tanks dropped and buy new fuel pumps.

In addition to this talk to any small engine repair person about what this stuff is doing to our lawn mowers, weed eaters ect.
Go down and visit with a boat mech. before you hit the water. E-85 will turn to water and seize your motor. E-10% is not as bad but still must be watched.

Last but not least Corn prices are high! Look what it has done to the price of deer corn!! LOL

regaleagle
03-06-2015, 08:04 PM
Now that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Sounds like I have done the right thing so far just by not knowing anything, haha. I'll just pay the difference for regular gasoline and keep everything above board. I'll tell my son he's taking a chance using that stuff. Thanks for the input.

ronwx5x
03-08-2015, 02:40 PM
I can assure ethanol will not "turn to water". It does have an affinity to draw water, such as condensation, to it. Ethanol is a solvent and will clean all carbon, varnish, etc. from your tank and fuel lines. If there are sufficient contaminants, they will clog your injectors, not seize your engine. The condensation affinity is why you don't want to allow your engine to sit in a cool spot for an extended time. Used properly and from day one of a new engine, it is fine. Putting it into older fuel tanks on used vehicles is a recipe for disaster.

ronwx5x
03-08-2015, 03:04 PM
I can assure ethanol will not "turn to water". It does have an affinity to draw water, such as condensation, to it. Ethanol is a solvent and will clean all carbon, varnish, etc. from your tank and fuel lines. If there are sufficient contaminants, they will clog your injectors, not seize your engine. The condensation affinity is why you don't want to allow your engine to sit in a cool spot for an extended time. Used properly and from day one of a new engine, it is fine. Putting it into older fuel tanks on used vehicles is a recipe for disaster. E85 fuel should only be used in vehicles designed for it. The injectors are set differently for "Flex Fuel" and it will not burn properly in any vehicle not so designed and marked.

BwdLion73
03-08-2015, 04:07 PM
You are correct I worded that wrong. As far as the question on my opinion...E-fuel is a waste. Maybe I was thinking of turning water into wine. :speech:

ronwx5x
03-08-2015, 04:40 PM
You are correct I worded that wrong. As far as the question on my opinion...E-fuel is a waste. Maybe I was thinking of turning water into wine. :speech:I think the public's lack of acceptance of E85 speaks volumes about it. It burns less efficiently, has lower mileage and actually is in short supply if the public suddenly starting using it. The only reason you pay less is the tax abatement.

BwdLion73
03-09-2015, 06:08 AM
Regaleagal, I also noticed there are 31 stations in 28 cities in the entire state of Texas that sell E-fuel. If I went to one and filled up I would be empty when I got home! Lol
I just made a short hop and skip up to the Eastern seaboard. I would have hated to search for e fuel in parts of mississippi, alabama ect.

regaleagle
03-10-2015, 12:36 AM
Yeah, my son's been getting his at a local HEB outlet station in their parking lot. We generally use our Shell cards(business expense) to gas up, but for some reason he thinks he's saving money(50 cents/gal.) by filling up over there with that corn syrup, haha. I already told him yesterday about it gumming up the fuel pumps and such....and not to go there anymore. Didn't know about the lack of locations though, but somehow I'm not surprised because I've haven't really seen many myself.

lostaussie
03-15-2015, 11:45 AM
E85 in ANY boat motor = immediate catastrophic failure.