PDA

View Full Version : 12 inning tie Columbus-Smithville

the genious
03-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Last night Smithville and Columbus ended their game after 12 innings tied 0-0.. Great pitching and fielding by both teams.. Both teams catchers came through big anytime someone tried to run..

XMan
03-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Baseball, softball? Where was the hitting?

hookandladder
03-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Smithville has been pretty bad for a couple years, can't imagine the pitching was that good. Now Smithville catcher is the real deal, man he should have moved to LG instead of Smithville.

jrhernandez7
03-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Small ball is the only way to go in Smithville's cavernous park. I just wish the Tigers would figure this concept out and start bunting runners over, and lay down some drags on a more regular basis.

Scoop27
03-05-2015, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that if that had been a district game they would have played it out?

duckhunter
03-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Small ball is the only way to go in Smithville's cavernous park. I just wish the Tigers would figure this concept out and start bunting runners over, and lay down some drags on a more regular basis.

A. Smiithville field isn't that big.

B. Hard to bunt runners over if runners don't get on....and 95% of the kids in Smithville don't know what a drag bunt is. Have you seen their little league program? thats says it all

duckhunter
03-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Smithville has been pretty bad for a couple years, can't imagine the pitching was that good. Now Smithville catcher is the real deal, man he should have moved to LG instead of Smithville.

I'm pretty sure SMithville bringing back all their pitchers from last year. They were pretty taleneted, but just very young when I watched them in Flatonia tourny last year

duckhunter
03-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Last night Smithville and Columbus ended their game after 12 innings tied 0-0.. Great pitching and fielding by both teams.. Both teams catchers came through big anytime someone tried to run..

I see the two teams are playing each other in Sealy tourny today.....maybe they should just pick up where they left off the other night. ha

jrhernandez7
03-07-2015, 01:15 PM
You don't have to tell me, when I played H.S ball for the Tigers I was one of 3 who had actually played little league. The Fundamentals and strategy of the game are things they just don't get here. Only way I knew anything is because my dad Played for LG's State championship Coach Furgerson in Elgin,(His first Season of Coaching) and he passed it all down to me. & My first thing to learn was how to lay down a perfect bunt and a drag.

Also the field is bigger than your avg H.s field. Little to no Hr's hit their during the season.

the genious
03-08-2015, 06:17 PM
Columbus beat Smithville 8-3 in the Sealy Tourny..

XMan
03-08-2015, 06:58 PM
Several years ago the Smithville baseball team ran the slot T on offense!

hookandladder
03-08-2015, 07:27 PM
You don't have to tell me, when I played H.S ball for the Tigers I was one of 3 who had actually played little league. The Fundamentals and strategy of the game are things they just don't get here. Only way I knew anything is because my dad Played for LG's State championship Coach Furgerson in Elgin,(His first Season of Coaching) and he passed it all down to me. & My first thing to learn was how to lay down a perfect bunt and a drag.

Also the field is bigger than your avg H.s field. Little to no Hr's hit their during the season.

Smithville's problem in baseball is from no select baseball involvement in the summer, little league will never cut it as far as having a successful high school team. Just does not work, it takes a big commitment from the kids and parent's. Just anit happening.

SintonFan_inAustin
03-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Smithville's problem in baseball is from no select baseball involvement in the summer, little league will never cut it as far as having a successful high school team. Just does not work, it takes a big commitment from the kids and parent's. Just anit happening.little league should be the focus to get more kids involved early has work for Sinton over the years and they get a lot of kids to play from all ages. 14 district titles out of last 15 years and it isn't from all the kids playing select ball but having a lot of kids play the sport together from a young age and good portion keep playing into high school where coaching from HS rank takes over. But like you mention need to have a big commitment from parents and community to maintain a good LL program.

XMan
03-09-2015, 06:00 AM
How much time do the Sinton hs coaches get with their baseball players? IE, do they have a baseball offseason in the fall for straight baseballers and do the baseball/football guys have to go to football "offseason" during the baseball season? I know its hard to believe, but it seems that the schools that give baseball a chance usually have a good team and those schools where football in the only sport given a chance are hit and miss in baseball and usually its a miss.

hookandladder
03-09-2015, 06:26 AM
little league should be the focus to get more kids involved early has work for Sinton over the years and they get a lot of kids to play from all ages. 14 district titles out of last 15 years and it isn't from all the kids playing select ball but having a lot of kids play the sport together from a young age and good portion keep playing into high school where coaching from HS rank takes over. But like you mention need to have a big commitment from parents and community to maintain a good LL program.

Not knocking little league because it serves it's purpose in our area however our baseball and softball programs in high school are successful because of select ball not little league, when our players and parent decide to play only little league you will see our high school programs drop off. When I moved back here over 20 years ago we did not have a Babe Ruth team and no select teams from La Grange, our high school teams in baseball and softball were not very good as far as LG standards. Since that time 3 State championship in baseball and 2 in softball, select is where it is at. Just the facts.

duckhunter
03-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Not knocking little league because it serves it's purpose in our area however our baseball and softball programs in high school are successful because of select ball not little league, when our players and parent decide to play only little league you will see our high school programs drop off. When I moved back here over 20 years ago we did not have a Babe Ruth team and no select teams from La Grange, our high school teams in baseball and softball were not very good as far as LG standards. Since that time 3 State championship in baseball and 2 in softball, select is where it is at. Just the facts.

I agree with you to an extent. Select ball is good for the handful of kids who play it in the summer....The fact is the kids in LG, Bellville, Sinton, etc. (towns who consistently make playoffs) are a step above because of what they learn in Little League at a young age. The terminology, rules, expectations, taught at a young age is what sets them apart from surrounding towns. Select ball for high school kids can be beneficial, but it is more about just playing games, not necessarily playing on a select team. I agree though that playing select pre-high school can good though.....IMO what sets the winning programs apart from others is A) town has an involved Little League and it is well-run B)kids learn at a young age the expectations at high school is to win, and to win year in and year out. C) high-school play/practice year around or at least when not playing football. I'm not saying they have to play on select teams in tournys every weekend but they need to be going to the cage/throwing/ fielding/ etc a few times a week at least after school.

It all boils down to fundamentals and who is willing to put in the time to get better.....Also have a dominant pitcher and hitter can carry a team a way also

I am not counting Babe Ruth as select f.y.i.

duckhunter
03-09-2015, 11:54 AM
if you have high school coaches having to spend practice time on teaching the rules of the game (tagging up, how to steal, learning what a drag bunt is, knowing when it is a 3-0 count and you take, etc) then the kids will have no chance at being good, and that all starts at a young age and are things high school baseball kids show already know....and I know a lot of high school coaches who spend a lot of time doing this, and that is why the town(s) usually aren't in the playoffs

XMan
03-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Im not sure why, but some towns are just baseball towns (LG, Weimar, Sinton, Hallettsville, Robinson, West, Calallen, Robstown...) while some towns are just not. (Smithville, Hempstead, Brookshire, Eagle Lake...) Im not sure why its this way but it is. For some reasons the good baseball towns consider it important while the bad baseball towns don't. It starts with youth leagues and then permeates up through the school system. If the school system feels that its important to the community then the school subsidizes baseball fairly well. The schools that don't subsidize baseball have zero chance. Bottom line is that the more baseball you play, the better you will be.

hookandladder
03-09-2015, 01:44 PM
I agree with you to an extent. Select ball is good for the handful of kids who play it in the summer....The fact is the kids in LG, Bellville, Sinton, etc. (towns who consistently make playoffs) are a step above because of what they learn in Little League at a young age. The terminology, rules, expectations, taught at a young age is what sets them apart from surrounding towns. Select ball for high school kids can be beneficial, but it is more about just playing games, not necessarily playing on a select team. I agree though that playing select pre-high school can good though.....IMO what sets the winning programs apart from others is A) town has an involved Little League and it is well-run B)kids learn at a young age the expectations at high school is to win, and to win year in and year out. C) high-school play/practice year around or at least when not playing football. I'm not saying they have to play on select teams in tournys every weekend but they need to be going to the cage/throwing/ fielding/ etc a few times a week at least after school.

It all boils down to fundamentals and who is willing to put in the time to get better.....Also have a dominant pitcher and hitter can carry a team a way also

I am not counting Babe Ruth as select f.y.i.

I do agree that the more games you play the better however playing little league only in most towns will not cut it, most little league games I have seen it is all about winning with no fundamentals. The only ones that have fundamentals in LL are the ones that have Dads willing to teach them the correct way or get help in private instructions. To win at 4A and above you must have kids playing summer ball and not LL for high school kids, needs to be some type of select ball. LG's last three state championship teams had over half the players on the team played select ball from their early ages on up, just the facts.