PDA

View Full Version : Which helps your football team the most?

BullFrog Dad
02-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Powerlifting or Track

JasperDog94
02-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Jasper's had success with both, so I don't know that one is better than the other. I would say that it depends on the individual. If you've got a guy that already fast, powerlifting may help him gain a few extra pounds that could really pay off the following fall. just my 2 cents.

raider red 2000
02-26-2004, 02:21 PM
i think that both are important....but iff a coach had to chose one or the other...i would go with track. i once saw an ad that said something to the effect that, "it doent matter how strong you are if you are five yards behind me."

spiveyrat
02-26-2004, 03:09 PM
IMO, having strong powerlifting and track programs has been a real asset to Jasper's football program. I would be interested to see Jasper's stats since they started their powerlifting program vs the same number of years back before they had it. I just don't have time to do that right now. If someone wants to look, I think Jasper's program started sometime around 1984.

bullfrog_alumni_02
02-26-2004, 05:27 PM
im gonna have to go with each one is equally important to a program, because if you cant power your way through a line then it may not matter how fast you are, but like it was stated" it doesnt matter how strong you are if your five yards behind me." strength and speed are as important fundamentals for football* as throwing or catching, and are needed to build a strong program. (*substitute for any sport)

olddawggreen
02-26-2004, 05:53 PM
I agree the combination is important. We always had track, but the power lifting has become very important under Coach Shipley and I can definatly see the results.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2004, 10:05 PM
I don't think that basketball is too bad either. It will improve your footwork and coordination a lot. It also helped me with my 40 yard dash. I dropped about a .10 of a second at least off of my 40.

Haunta Yo
02-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Both sports are great for finding out how a kid will compete.
Powerlifting is "you against the bar and everyone else", and track is "you against the clock and everyone else".

I know there are team aspects to both sports, but you'll find out who your true competitors are and who will back down from a challenge.

<small>[ February 26, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Haunta Yo ]</small>

Old Tiger
02-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Some schools push their athletes to do both.

j_dog
02-27-2004, 01:05 AM
Old Tiger:
Some schools push their athletes to do both.I would say that has been true for Jasper. At least they certainly have the opportunity to do both. One year that I remember one Jasper boy won his weight class in power lifting, then at the state track meet a few weeks later he ran anchor on the winning 400m relay team. The two sports can and should support each other, not to mention the benefit to football.