PDA

View Full Version : La Vernia coach to take over at Yoakum

Scoop27
02-26-2015, 09:35 PM
Hot off the presses
https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2015/feb/26/la-vernia-adfootball-coach-to-take-over-at-yoakum/

44INAROW
02-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Thanks Scoop I wanted to post but couldn't figure out how to cut and paste on my iPad. 😜

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

YTBulldogs
02-26-2015, 10:10 PM
"Country Boy" welcome home.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-27-2015, 01:14 AM
Wow, District 15 just got that much tougher. What's going on in La Vernia that made such a good coach want to bolt?

YTBulldogs
02-27-2015, 01:29 AM
Wow, District 15 just got that much tougher. What's going on in La Vernia that made such a good coach want to bolt?

Hear LV's new Sup (from San Antonio) is not very coaching friendly from a LV backer, snotbubbles. It's happen elsewhere before. Sup/AD don't click.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-27-2015, 01:34 AM
Hear LV's new Sup (from San Antonio) is not very coaching friendly from a LV backer, snotbubbles. It's happen elsewhere before. Sup/AD don't click.

That's too bad. La Vernia has a great program. Hate to hear that it's potentially going to be ruined due to a bad Sup't hire.

YTBulldogs
02-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Scoop, some reason your above Victoria Advocate link, shows page not found when you click on it. I'll try to cut and paste article.

La Vernia coach to take over at Yoakum

By Mike Forman
Feb. 26, 2015 at 10:24 p.m.
Updated Feb. 26, 2015 at 10:29 p.m.

Bangs head football coach Wendell Robinson made his son an offer he couldn't refuse.

Bo Robinson said when his son was born he would have to leave his father's staff to find a more lucrative job.

The elder Robinson offered to become the offensive coordinator if his son would take over as head coach.

Bo Robinson accepted the offer and has gone on to build a 129-56 record at Bangs and La Vernia that includes 14 consecutive playoff appearances.

Robinson, 45, will attempt to extend that streak next season at Yoakum.

Yoakum superintendent Tom Kelley on Thursday recommended Robinson to become Yoakum's athletic director and head football coach.

Robinson's hiring will become official at Monday's meeting of the Yoakum school district board of trustees.

"Yoakum's a little bit smaller," said Robinson, who is the older brother of Yorktown coach Ty Robinson. "I'm in the country and I'm a country boy. La Vernia is growing, it's getting bigger. Yoakum is probably a bitter fit for me now than La Vernia will fit me five years from now."

Robinson will replace Brent Kornegay in Yoakum.

Kornegay resigned last month after six seasons at Yoakum to become the athletic director and head football coach at George West.

"Coach Robinson will be a great fit for our community and school," Kelley said in a statement. "The overall success of all programs under coach Robinson the past nine years in La Vernia, along with the winning tradition of Yoakum High School athletics is a great match."

Robinson, who played football at the University of Texas, had a 61-27 record during his nine seasons at Bangs that included state final appearances in 2002 and 2003.

He went 68-29 during his nine seasons at La Vernia and went to the playoffs every season.

"This business is all about relationships - creating relationships with the kids and getting them to believe in you and getting them to trust you," he said. "When they trust you, they'll go out and play for you."

Yoakum tied for the District 15-4A, Division II championship last season before advancing to the quarterfinals and finishing with a 10-4 record.

"I'll have to evaluate the kids," Robinson said. "I'm sure I'll do things a little different than coach Kornegay did. They're going to have to get used to me and I'm going to have to get used to them."

YTBulldogs
03-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Official, Bo Robinson was hired tonight at SB meeting. Welcome to Yoakum coach.

bluecat
03-03-2015, 04:39 AM
When does he start coaching in Yoakum?

YTBulldogs
03-03-2015, 01:15 PM
By Mike Forman , Victoria Advocate
March 2, 2015 at 11:15 p.m.

YOAKUM - Bo Robinson wore a pair of orange cowboy boots to Monday night's meeting of the Yoakum school district board of trustees.

Robinson will soon be decked out in blue after receiving unanimous approval from the trustees to become Yoakum's athletic director and head football coach.

Robinson, 45, has been the athletic director and head football coach at La Vernia the past nine seasons.

He will replace Brent Kornegay, who resigned last month to become the athletic director and head football coach at George West.

"I'm going to get in here and get to know the kids and the coaches and the community," Robinson said. "We're going to hit it running and we're going to work hard this offseason and hopefully get ready for a good year next fall."

Robinson plans to visit with the coaches and as many athletes as possible at this week's junior high and high school track meets.

He will officially begin work after spring break.

"Coach Kornegay built a good foundation," Robinson said of the Bulldogs, who went 10-4 and advanced to the Class 4A, Division II quarterfinals last season. "They've done a great job. You're not going into a place and teaching how to win. You just come in and build off what they've already done and try to go a little further."

Robinson had an overall 68-29 record at La Vernia that included nine-consecutive playoff appearances.

He was previously the head coach at Bangs for nine seasons where he had an overall record of 61-27 that included seven playoff appearances and two trips to the state final.

"First is just to get them comfortable knowing me," Robinson said. "That's the biggest thing. The relationships you form with the kids. When they feel like they can trust you and they know you, that's when they're going to play for you."

Robinson is likely to bring some assistants from La Vernia and will install a new defense.

"I've got a set defense that I've run since college," he said. "Offensively, we change with the personnel. We change how we do things. Our philosophy is the same. The formations we may line up in and how we attack people could be different."

Robinson began his coaching career after playing at the University of Texas. He was an all-Southwest Conference defensive end for the Longhorns in 1992.

"Charlie Strong calls me for advice all the time," Robinson joked. "I'm still around some. We have season tickets. We may go once a year and sell them the rest of the time. My connection there ended with coach (Mack) Brown and (Palacios graduate and former assistant) Oscar Giles, who is a good friend of mine. My connections there now are all old guys who watch the games from the stands."

YTBulldogs
03-03-2015, 01:16 PM
I bet Bo call's them boots, burnt orange, not just orange. :thumbsup:

Phil C
03-03-2015, 01:34 PM
What happens now with the current Yoakum Assistant coach that applied?

YTBulldogs
03-03-2015, 02:07 PM
No clue Phil. Some might want to depart on their own and not sure yet whom Bo is bringing with him. All part of the coaching world when a change is made.

SintonFan_inAustin
03-03-2015, 03:35 PM
No clue Phil. Some might want to depart on their own and not sure yet whom Bo is bringing with him. All part of the coaching world when a change is made.yea wondering if the asst coach I know is going to make the move or stay put and just teach.

Papá Oso
03-03-2015, 04:07 PM
I wish Coach Bo the best of luck at Yoakum, his loss is a loss for the whole community of La Vernia. He was great coach, teacher, and leader for the young men the program has produced over the last 9 years, including my son. The new superintendent has tall task ahead of him in keeping things rolling, hoping he does better than the current rumor making the rounds.

PO

LV_Bearfan
04-17-2015, 12:32 PM
I wish Bo the best. La Vernia has the potential to be very good this coming season. The right coach could step into a very nice talent situation and make some things happen. Sometimes a move is best for both sides. I think this is one of those times.