PDA

View Full Version : Columbia boys basketball story

Scoop27
02-24-2015, 01:38 PM
By JOSHUA COOK joshua.cook@thefacts.com | 0 comments

WEST COLUMBIA- Fueled by pride and a desire to win, the District 28-4A basketball champion Columbia Roughnecks will be looking for an extended stay in the postseason.

Columbia (24-5 overall) has climbed as high as No. 11 in the Texas Basketball Coaches Association poll this season. The Roughnecks currently sit at No. 12 in the state rankings.

For the Roughnecks, their success has been anchored in both senior leadership and a new focus on the practice floor. That has paid off well, as the ‘Necks took their only district loss to Brazosport in the season finale

“We’re a senior-led team this year, and that is awesome,” Columbia coach Robert Cash said. “It makes my job easier, and they really buy into being leaders.”

Three of the ’Necks’ starting five are seniors, as the trio of Jarius Kesee, Brandon Harris and Jayson Faith have set the tone both on and off the court.

Joined in the starting lineup by juniors Kalen Williams and Steve Perkins, Columbia’s first five have brought a renewed intensity to practices this season.

“It’s exciting. Everybody’s hyped up for practice,” Williams said. “That’s how we know we’re improving, when we practice like that.”

Because of the tone set in practices, Columbia has turned drills, walk-throughs and scrimmages into a fire that fuels its competitive drive in games, which is a far cry from a year ago.

“Last year, practices at times got a little sloppy, and now the big motivation I use with these guys is, ‘You’re ranked now, and everyone is going to give you their best game, so we can’t have practices like we did last year,’” Cash said. “They really bought into that, and practice has been more intense, and they govern themselves.”

Coming up short of an outright district title a year ago, the ’Necks knew this team was far too good to suffer the same fate.

“Everybody realized how much talent we have on this team and how much skill and positive attitudes we have, and that’s why everybody was excited,” Faith said. “They all like practice and want to play this year and don’t want to just go home.”

Providing some more motivation for the basketball season was how Columbia’s football season wrapped up.

Columbia finished the football season with a 10-2 record, claimed second place in district and advanced to the area round of the playoffs.

With several multi-sport athletes, the Roughnecks’ performance on the gridiron flowed onto the hardwood.

“Success breeds success,” Cash said. “These kids were successful in football, came over and are successful in basketball. Hopefully it carries over to success in baseball, as well.”

But success was not the only thing that carried over from the football field, as relationships strengthened by shoulder pads and helmets were further cemented with sneakers and free throws.

“It feels great. I’ve never been this close to anybody in my life playing sports,” Faith said. “I love these guys.”

With the upperclassmen in the starting lineup leading the way, the Roughnecks are hoping their drive, tenacity and dedication to one another will result in a deep playoff run.

“We just practice hard every day, and we always want to win,” Kesee said. “We’re trying to get to the state championship.”

A trip to the sate finals would mean the ’Necks would have to advance past the regional tournament in Kingwood, the place where Cash learned to play basketball.

“That is where I first picked up a basketball, so getting back there would mean everything has kind of gone full circle,” the coach said.

Perhaps the most important factor in Columbia’s impending playoff run is the team’s strategy going forward.

“My philosophy is to do what we do, and I’m not going to change anything,” Cash said. “Last year, I tried to change some stuff going into the playoffs, and I think it beat us. So, I’m not going to make that mistake again.”

A four-year starter, Kesee leads the ’Necks in scoring and will be a key in their playoff run.