PDA

View Full Version : Beating Jasper

espn1
12-03-2002, 08:01 PM
Jasper has awesome speed and size. They are Wharton on Steroids. For Burnet to win this game they must play their best game of the season.Can they win? Yes! But a different offense will have to show up than was at the game Sat. Sinton had an awesome team and disrupted Burnet's offense. We that see Burnet every week know that our Offense wasn't firing on all eight. I look for a different team (off.) to show up this week, because they know they have to. The defense was awesome and is getting more phenominal every week. If you recall they said that we couldn't get past Vernon are Southlake Carroll. But we did. Remember the looks on their faces when we took home the trophies. Burnet will be ready, you can count on it. Burnet needs to put the ball in Templetons hands at least 8 or 9 times Sat.
With the amount of men we have split out this will help open up our outside running game and keep the def. at home. We all know what happens when you double team Shipley. If you put him in single coverage he will dominate the field, if you double it open's the running game up. Burnet will not be shut down. Statistics don't support such a prediction.
Burnet roll's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keep this post and rub it in my face Sunday. Let's see if I know football.

<small>[ December 03, 2002, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: espn1 ]</small>

Awesome Dawg Fan
12-04-2002, 12:08 AM
I don't know what you mean by roll but I believe they will win. I mean no disrespect to Sinton but it was obvious to me that Burnet was the far superior team. However I agree Burnet will have to be consistent in this one. They have proven 13 times this year that they can get the job done. I believe Saturday will be 14.

sinton66
12-04-2002, 07:49 AM
Awesome Dawg Fan:
I don't know what you mean by roll but I believe they will win. I mean no disrespect to Sinton but it was obvious to me that Burnet was the far superior team. However I agree Burnet will have to be consistent in this one. They have proven 13 times this year that they can get the job done. I believe Saturday will be 14.I'm sorry Burnet fans, but I have to take exception to this one. I intended to keep quiet about our matchup until the end, but I can't let this one go. Burnet was "far superior"? No, I don't think so. Our offense didn't exactly click either. Your defense had nothing to do with overthrown passes, or a WR dropping passes that hit him in the hands deep in Burnet's territory. It had nothing to do with an ace kicker bouncing a field goal attempt off the right upright after coming back for his first game following a week in the hospital and two weeks on the sidelines in a wheelchair.
It didn't have much to do with a fumbled snap on a fourth down in the red zone or a bad spot by the refs on the next one, or a classic "stretcher" going just off the fingertips of a stellar running back after he had burned your secondary. Does this look familiar? http://mas.scripps.com/CCCT/2002/12/01/p-4sinton1201_e.jpg I'm not making excuses, you won, we lost, that's a fact. You say you mean no disrespect for Sinton, then go ahead and do it anyway. Sorry, mister, you need to get a clue.

<small>[ December 04, 2002, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

BIG19
12-04-2002, 08:08 AM
[/QUOTE]I'm sorry Burnet fans, but I have to take exception to this one. I intended to keep quiet about our matchup until the end, but I can't let this one go. Burnet was "far superior"? No, I don't think so. Our offense didn't exactly click either. Your defense had nothing to do with overthrown passes, or a WR dropping passes that hit him in the hands deep in Burnet's territoty.
It didn't have much to do with a classic "stretcher" going just off the fingertips of a stellar running back after he had burned your secondary. You say you mean no disrespect for Sinton, then go ahead and do it anyway. Sorry, mister, you need to get a clue.[/QB][/QUOTE]
Sinton66, I have to agree with you as will many Burnet fans. Burnet was not the superior team on the field last Saturday. I really don't think that there was a superior team there. It was a very well matched and played game. Both offenses seemed to struggle at times. Heck, a couple of inches one way or the other on a play or two and the outcome could have been very different. I guess that is why we continue to watch this wonderful game. Once again, congrats to the Sinton Pirates for a great season!

To Awsome Dawg Fan - I take offense to your statement and I am a very loyal Burnet fan. You are, meaning to or not, taking away what was a very good game by both teams and putting a bad spin on the whole game. The Burnet/Sinton game was the best by far for the Dawgs. Let's let it go and focus on this week's game.

<small>[ December 04, 2002, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: BIG19 ]</small>

BIG19
12-04-2002, 08:10 AM
Sinton66, BTW that is a great picture. Whomever took it really knows what they are doing. Thanks for sharing it.

sinton66
12-04-2002, 08:24 AM
BIG19:
Sinton66, BTW that is a great picture. Whomever took it really knows what they are doing. Thanks for sharing it.That picture was taken by the Corpus Christi Caller-Times staff, unfortunately when they put it with the game story on their webpage, they mis-named the player. The caption said it was Marshall Kastner, #11 is in fact Bubba Heard.

bd0707
12-04-2002, 09:16 AM
I think anyone from Burnet could have told the CC Caller that was Bubba Heard, Burnet fans will remember him. As a matter of fact, had Sinton given the ball to Heard, or had Alaniz kept on the 4th and inches in the 4th quarter it may have led to a different outcome on that drive. No offense to #5 Ruiz, but Heard and Alaniz IMHO are stronger short gain power backs.

sinton66
12-04-2002, 09:26 AM
bd0707, no offense to your humble opinion, but Julian Ruiz has been playing hurt since the 4th game of the season against Cuero. I thought he would be back to full speed and power by now, but he wasn't. If you have any doubts what-so-ever about Mr. Ruiz's abilities, ask some of your Bellville friends what he did against them last year.

bd0707
12-04-2002, 11:05 AM
Sinton66, my opinion was based only on what I saw last Saturday, Alaniz and Heard both seem to have 50 or 60 lbs. on Ruiz and a 4th and inches call that extra weight may have come in handy. There was no doubt intended towards Ruiz's abilities, he is extrmely fast with quick moves. While I am at it I will publicly question two of Burnet's play calls, first, the decision to go for it on 4th and short on their first drive, I know there was a pretty good wind, however the risk of field position was too high for my comfort level! Secondly, the second half play where you saw the odd offensive formation, allthough successful this season and last, should have been scrapped after the delay of game call. It wasn't, result twenty yard loss.All of these opinions are based on hindsight, my own. In the over all scheme of things that really doesn't count for much but I'm entitled none the less. I am one of those who anxiously awaited that game long before the end of the regular season,and before this post have allready stated on this board that this was probably the best football game I have ever seen at any level. The anticipation of this game was highlighted by the quality of pre-game banter between the fans of both teams. The Sinton posters on 3a downlow are among the greatest sports enthusiast I have come across. It's been a pleasure.

Jason1725
12-04-2002, 12:25 PM
You know why that picture is sooo good, because it tells the story of the game. I am from Jasper and know nobody form either side but just knowing the score and seeing the picture says it all. Sinton was close but it was just out of reach. Great photo.

Awesome Dawg Fan
12-04-2002, 12:26 PM
Sinton66 I am sorry you took offense to my remarks about Burnet being far superior. I did not at all mean that Sinton was not an awesome team, but anyone who watched the game would tell you it could have easily been 28-3 at half. That is giving your kicker the three. By the way I never thought he would have come close, it was a great try. But Burnet was twice inside Sinton's 30 yard line when our coach made some very questionable calls. This is just an opinion I believe Burnet did not need trick plays to win. Everyone I have talked to who was there said that game should have never been that close in the end. As for the Heard pass if you recall our # 8 was all alone on your sideline when he stumbled and the ball went just over his hands, but that is football. Sinton is a great team with great fans, but I still believe the score was closer than it should have been.

PPHSfan
12-04-2002, 01:17 PM
OH Boy, I was thinking this was over but now I see that it might be just beginning. I think most Burnet fans were right to correct Awsome Dawg, but it doesn't look like ole Dawg is gonna take the hint.

This is gonna be fun to watch eek!

spaniard
12-04-2002, 06:19 PM
PPHSfan:
OH Boy, I was thinking this was over but now I see that it might be just beginning. I think most Burnet fans were right to correct Awsome Dawg, but it doesn't look like ole Dawg is gonna take the hint.

This is gonna be fun to watch eek! no kiddin

sinton66
12-04-2002, 08:33 PM
PPHSfan:

This is gonna be fun to watch eek! It's over as far as I'm concerned. I said my piece. This Burnet fan is welcome to whatever opinion he wants to keep. I will only remind folks of that old saying,"Opinions are like A-Holes, EVERYBODY'S got one", and some of them REALLY stink!

BigRed01
12-04-2002, 09:12 PM
Burnet really has some fans with not much class. I never wish a team ill before a game, but it's really going to be nice to see Jasper knock these guys down a notch by about 35 times. :D

29x281
12-04-2002, 10:03 PM
AwesomeDawgFan didn't say anything worth getting that upset over. Let's not be so hyper-sensitive.

I thought Burnet was the better team. How much better? 12 points is about right. Burnet's last drive in the 4rth Qtr was the stuff of champions, as were the 4rth down stands. If Sinton and Burnet played 10 times, I believe Burnet would win 7 or 8 or the ten. Feel free to disagree.

Sinton was a great opponent, comparable to Marlin, although I would bet on Marlin if the two teams were to meet.

Regardless, Sinton has a great program and a great town, and as this week goes on and the Jasper game nears, all of us in Burnet are beginning to appreciate just how classy the Sinton people were.

As far as this thread topic goes (beating Jasper), I had a chance to view some film on the Jasper defense tonight and came away very impressed. Their strength is obviously the DL. They completely manhandled Cameron and generally had their way with Bridge City. Still (and I'm sure Old Card will chime in here with a protest if he sees this post) I believe the Burnet OL will be a more formidable unit than Jasper has seen in the last few weeks. The Cameron OL simply had no chance, while the BC OL whiffed on quite a few.

#78 (Adams I believe) did not play defense against BC, some say due to injury, and I'll be interested to see if he plays defense Saturday. They're far more impressive with him at DE. Even without him, their DL is big and quick, the linebackers run well, and they have some capable DBs. #15 was impressive in run support and seemed to be a playmaker for Jasper.

Nevertheless, Bunret has more legitimate offensive threats than any of the teams I saw line up against Jasper. I also believe the Burnet OL is physically more capable than any of Jasper's recent opponents.

Should be a good game.

JASPER- GYM
12-04-2002, 10:21 PM
As far as this thread topic goes (beating Jasper), I had a chance to view some film on the Jasper defense tonight and came away very impressed. Their strength is obviously the DL. They completely manhandled Cameron and generally had their way with Bridge City. Still (and I'm sure Old Card will chime in here with a protest if he sees this post) I believe the Burnet OL will be a more formidable unit than Jasper has seen in the last few weeks. The Cameron OL simply had no chance, while the BC OL whiffed on quite a few.

#78 (Adams I believe) did not play defense against BC, some say due to injury, and I'll be interested to see if he plays defense Saturday. They're far more impressive with him at DE. Even without him, their DL is big and quick, the linebackers run well, and they have some capable DBs. #15 was impressive in run support and seemed to be a playmaker for Jasper.

Nevertheless, Bunret has more legitimate offensive threats than any of the teams I saw line up against Jasper. I also believe the Burnet OL is physically more capable than any of Jasper's recent opponents.

Should be a good game.[/QB]I see that you have toned down your "smack" since watching film on Jasper!?

29x281
12-04-2002, 10:25 PM
What are you talking about? Could you offer a quote?

The_Saint
12-04-2002, 10:57 PM
JASPER- GYM:

Should be a good game.I see that you have toned down your "smack" since watching film on Jasper!?[/QB]Yep...Seeing IS Believing. Although 29x281=8,149 is still backing his DAWGS, reading between the lines there is a new found respect for the Jasper DAWGS. I'm sure after the Jasper staff and players studied the films on Burnet they have a similar respect. 64 hours and counting....GO BIG RED!!!

The_Saint
12-04-2002, 11:01 PM
JASPER- GYM:

Should be a good game.I see that you have toned down your "smack" since watching film on Jasper!?[/QB]Yep...Seeing IS Believing. Although 29x281=8,149 is still backing his DAWGS, reading between the lines there is a new found respect for the Jasper DAWGS. I'm sure after the Jasper staff and players studied the films on Burnet they have a similar respect. 64 hours and counting....GO BIG RED!!!

SintonFan
12-04-2002, 11:18 PM
It's still a wonder that nobody from Jasper won't respect Burnet. You ex-4A guys don't believe in us 3A do you?

espn1
12-05-2002, 12:48 PM
bump!

spiveyrat
12-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Sintonfan: What is your definition of "respect". I have seen several posts (including my own) illustrating this as a tight game. What would you like us to do, pick Burnet over Jasper? I don't think so!!! Did you pick Burnet over Sinton the week ya'll played so you could show them some respect? Have you seen one Burnet fan who picked Jasper over Burnet? Those fans who are pulling for Jasper and are savvy in football have been predicting some less than spectaclar margins of only 7 or 14 points. That, in itself is a complement and a show of respect for Burnet. The fans who are predicting Jasper by 28 and 35+... well, we'll just say that they're "out there". The reality is that this is going to be a battle. One like neither team has seen this season. Not only are both teams extraordinary, but there is much on the line as well.

southern_thunder
12-05-2002, 01:12 PM
SintonFan:
It's still a wonder that nobody from Jasper won't respect Burnet. You ex-4A guys don't believe in us 3A do you?I for one respect Burnet very much but I still have the utmost confidence in the BEASTS FROM THE EAST.(that's the Jasper BullDogs)
I believe it will be a very hard fought game and one for the books with the Jasper DAWGS winning with late touchdowns to make a final score of way too much to not near enough. 35-0

BIG19
12-05-2002, 01:25 PM
I, being of sound body and mind, am a Burnet fan. Darn proud of it too. I am also a fan of 3A football. That goes for whomever is playing. I know I can only speak for myself, but I have complete respect for all the teams that Burnet has faced, will face, and will not have the chance to face. These are kids we are talking about. They are all learning a bit about life by those that we intrust them too (the coaches). My hat goes off to each and everyone that has contributed to this, as well as past, seasons. I just hope and pray taht everyone walks away from this season with lifelong memories that they can talk about for many, many years. So to all the teams that are still playing, and also to those that are not - THANKS.

JasperDog94
12-05-2002, 01:31 PM
BIG19:
I, being of sound body and mind, am a Burnet fan. Darn proud of it too. I am also a fan of 3A football. That goes for whomever is playing. I know I can only speak for myself, but I have complete respect for all the teams that Burnet has faced, will face, and will not have the chance to face. These are kids we are talking about. They are all learning a bit about life by those that we intrust them too (the coaches). My hat goes off to each and everyone that has contributed to this, as well as past, seasons. I just hope and pray taht everyone walks away from this season with lifelong memories that they can talk about for many, many years. So to all the teams that are still playing, and also to those that are not - THANKS.Amen to that! :cool:

j_dog
12-05-2002, 03:04 PM
SintonFan:
It's still a wonder that nobody from Jasper won't respect Burnet. You ex-4A guys don't believe in us 3A do you?Like Spiveyrat, I don't know what you mean by respect. Sure, we have some Jasper posters who have gone overboard, but so has Burnet. Darn right, Jasper respects Burnet, just as they have respected every 3a opponent they have played this year. Jasper could not have won all those games if they had not respected and prepared for their opponents. Jasper has prepared for this game, will prepare for this game, and will be prepared on Saturday. That IS respect!

greendog fan
12-05-2002, 06:37 PM
j_dog:

SintonFan:
It's still a wonder that nobody from Jasper won't respect Burnet. You ex-4A guys don't believe in us 3A do you?Like Spiveyrat, I don't know what you mean by respect. Sure, we have some Jasper posters who have gone overboard, but so has Burnet. Darn right, Jasper respects Burnet, just as they have respected every 3a opponent they have played this year. Jasper could not have won all those games if they had not respected and prepared for their opponents. Jasper has prepared for this game, will prepare for this game, and will be prepared on Saturday. That IS respect!Good post j dog. Jasper had better respect the Burnet DAWGS and Burnet had better respect the Jasper DAWGS. We are both a big play team. But i think we have the chances to make more big plays. If you do come out on top, I will be backing you t o win it all. But i think Bburnet will pull it out. GO BURNET DAWGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bc 76
12-05-2002, 07:40 PM
For burnet to win this game mcgee is going to have to pass for 400+ yds.Jasper is going to shut the running game.Jasper not going to double up on shipley cause they wont have to.Burnet does not have the kind of speed that jasper has,yes burnet is a solid football team diciplined,well coached but coach shipley knows it all going to end on sat.Burnet a young team and they will be back next year and give it another shot.

29x281
12-05-2002, 09:18 PM
"Jasper [is] not going to double up on shipley cause they wont have to." -- bc 76

That will be interesting to see.

Ozzy
12-05-2002, 09:37 PM
you're right, 29x281. That will be interesting to see. but Burnet having to throw for 400+? Give me a break. Burnet can and will run the ball successfully against Jasper. They better commit 8 to the run, 'cause if they don't, it's going to be Burnet up-and-down the field!

Awesome Dawg Fan
12-06-2002, 12:28 AM
bc76 I will only say this. If Jasper does not double Shipley often Mcgee will most certainly pass for 400.

sinton66
12-06-2002, 08:41 AM
Awesome Dawg Fan:
bc76 I will only say this. If Jasper does not double Shipley often Mcgee will most certainly pass for 400.Ummmmm, Sinton didn't double Shipley, we didn't have to. Mason Templeton did more damage than Shipley. At 6'7", he doesn't have too much trouble getting the jump balls. Both teams need to realize one thing. NEITHER of you will dominate in this game. We're down to the final four now, all are capable of winning the big prize. I'm backing Burnet in this one, but ALL of you should let the kids do the talking on the field. All this talk is worth exactly what you had to pay for it.

espn1
12-06-2002, 09:08 AM
Well said!

Chris Hart
12-06-2002, 10:52 AM
Sinton 66, I hate to disagree with you buddy, because your right somewhat. Sinton did a good job of switching up their defenses at times, but they did double Shipley at least 50% of the time, I'll admit, he did his damage when he got the single coverage, but yall rolled the safety down over him quite frequently. Yall do have a good secondary, one of the best we have seen this year, I wandered why since Schmidt #15 is an All-State, that they didn't put him one on one with Jordan and take their chances that way. It would have been interesting. He is a good tackler though, so I guess the coaches wanted him closer to the line of scrimmage. I do have a question for you and all others that were at the game, why when Sinton would punt the football after the snap the punter would hold the football until he was pressured to punt it. The question is shouldn't that have been a penalty of illegal men down field. It happened each time yall punted, yalls guys were getting a awful early jump on our return men. I mean it was good coaching because it worked, but I thought it should have drawn the flag. This seriously is not a knock in anyway, it's just a legitimate question to my ole pal down in Sinton. :)

SINTON81
12-06-2002, 05:16 PM
CHRIS, let me see if I can answer your question. On the punt team I think the snaper and the T E's can release down field as soon as the ball is snaped the others have to stay at the line of scrimage until the ball is punted.(I used to be a snaper for the punt team but that was years ago so don't quote me). If I remember correctly thats who the first players down field were. As far as holding the ball a little while, maybe the coach told the punter to take a good look to see if he shouldn't try to run for a first down, who knows.

As far as Schmidt goes, I would have liked him at safety myself, but we were out both of our starting linebackers so I guess the coach thought we needed him at linebacker. Adrian did o.k., considering he had not played a down of defense
the whole 4 years he has been on varsity(at least not that I can remember), but I think Schmidt would have picked off a pass or two.

Hope that helps.

<small>[ December 06, 2002, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: SINTON81 ]</small>

Chris Hart
12-06-2002, 05:17 PM
That's what I thought too, about the TE and snapper and the gunners releasing early, but I could have sworn there were a few more releasing than should of been. You answered my question great, but like I said earlier, it was great coaching anyway, because they didn't get flagged for it, therefore it is legal. And about Schmidt on Shipley, I was just thinking that if he could have covered Shipley by himself, it would have allowed another defender to play close to the line of scrimmage. But, I'm not a coach, I'm just an avid fan of high school football. Thanks for the reply!!

<small>[ December 06, 2002, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

sntnpirate1316
12-06-2002, 06:36 PM
i can answer the last question
after losing both Clint they put in Josh Cordy
very talented
after they lost Jerry they put in Luis Rodriguez and not to put him down or anything but the coaches thought chance would do better
they put adrian in as safety because he is faster than chance
and about 20% of the time they were doubling shipley
what you probably saw was a combo of zone and doulbing most of the time

and bd707 and his power back remark
julian is a better powerback than bubba
if you would see bubba hardly ever runs inside
he has trouble with holding on to the ball sometimes which is another reason julian is put in for those short yardage plays
and alaniz's sophmore year he seperated his shoulder and they dont like to risk him on tight running plays like that
most of the time he runs the ball its in the open
and as for the odd offensive formation
we went over that in practice and that adds on to the reason why there was a big loss
and awesome dawg fan...
man where to start
almost everything you said is just wrong
everything from the far superior to the game was closer than it should have been
im guessing most of the people you talked to after the game were burnet fans...
i was watching video of this game and many times it wouldve been a huge sinton gain/td if it wasnt for one mistake
you really must have no idea what ur talking about
i would not get into this unless you know what ur talking about and have seen it somewhere else besides the game cuz in the game you cant really tell what happens on any given play unless you see it on video and know what play is coming and are able to rewind

bd0707
12-06-2002, 07:03 PM
Sntnpirate1316, Thanks for the insight, I wasn't aware of Heards trouble going up the middle, also was not aware of Alaniz's prior injury, by the way is it his pitching arm? All three were great athletes as well as a multitude of others on the Pirate team. I know that Alaniz is a senior, how about Heard and Ruiz?

sntnpirate1316
12-06-2002, 07:20 PM
heard and ruiz are both seniors
to the throwing arm question
im not quite sure but i think it might have been
but i dont think it will affect him
it was a late season injury so he let it take its time to heal and i believe he had surgery on it
but im not totally sure about if it was his throwing arm