PDA

View Full Version : Nigeria

Saggy Aggie
02-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Specifically Lagos. Have any of you ever been there? I've been asked by the owner of my company to go and work internationally in Lagos through Chevron.

It would be a 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off rotation (with the possibility of 4/4) for 1 year. I think the experience would be priceless but having never been out of the US, I'm a bit skeptical.

Can anyone offer any insight?

Rabid Cougar
02-16-2015, 07:18 PM
Two words - Boko Haram. You will become a walking ATM machine. Having been to Basra, Iraq in 07/08 and the most dangerous province (Kunar) in Afghanistan, I'd go back to those places instead Nigeria any day. I put my faith in the U.S. Army before Contract Security and the Nigerian Army. But BH is mainly in the Northern part.

Saggy Aggie
02-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Yeah, Lagos is literally in the opposite side of the country

bobcat1
02-17-2015, 07:24 AM
I like my head right where it is. I am staying in the USA. You do what you want Saggy but my 2 cents says stay home.

pancho villa
02-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobcat1
02-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:spitlol:

caleb_mccaig
02-17-2015, 10:11 AM
Specifically Lagos. Have any of you ever been there? I've been asked by the owner of my company to go and work internationally in Lagos through Chevron.

It would be a 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off rotation (with the possibility of 4/4) for 1 year. I think the experience would be priceless but having never been out of the US, I'm a bit skeptical.

If it were me, I've always said if I got a chance to travel for work I would do it in a heartbeat because if you want to get married and what not then you may not be able to do it later. I would assume Chevron would keep you pretty safe, if not, then I'm sure you would have a pretty nice lump sum waiting you when you got home.

I also know nothing about Nigeria, though.

This is an iffy situation, it's like if you have always wanted to be a head football coach, but the offer is from Houston Scarborough.

Phil C
02-17-2015, 10:13 AM
I would hate to not recommend an opportunity but due to danger I would stay in the USA.

WOS87
02-17-2015, 10:32 AM
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/nigeria-travel-warning.html

Saggy Aggie
02-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol.... I knew I could count on you for the support

1st and goal
02-17-2015, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't go. don't count on Chevron to keep you safe.

There is no place like home...There is no place like home...There is no place like home...There is no place like home...

How much money would it be worth to die for?

coach
02-17-2015, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't go. don't count on Chevron to keep you safe.

There is no place like home...There is no place like home...There is no place like home...There is no place like home...

How much money would it be worth to die for?

Yea, I would trust Texaco waaay more than Chevron.

panfan
02-17-2015, 05:51 PM

Do you have the opportunity to speak with folks that are already there and maybe have been there for some time, experiencing the conditions, protections offered? Knowing that ahead of time would be important

Tejastrue
02-17-2015, 06:50 PM
I'm sure Hook would recommend that you go!! lol

Saggy Aggie
02-17-2015, 07:10 PM

Lol, yeah i can always count on ole hook too

pancho villa
02-19-2015, 09:20 AM
You should go to Syria or Central Iraq

hookandladder
02-19-2015, 09:39 AM

Lol...........

Saggy Aggie
02-19-2015, 02:51 PM
You should go to Syria or Central Iraq

F*ck off

lostaussie
02-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Present and accounted for:D

Cam
02-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Well...first off, how can you go wrong with a country that has a president named Goodluck Jonathan who's big into Bob Marley?...In fact, Goodluck still thinks Bob is alive!!.....Back in the 80's, I had a short stint in Kaduna...right smack in the middle of Nigeria....got wined and dined by one of the local tribes, the Gbagyi peoples.....them sonsbitches fed me like a horse and I even ate some horse!!...then they expected me to play a full 90 minute game of soccer!!!....and let's face it, even the 5 year old girls were faster than me!!....anyways, after the match they hauled my arse down to the Zuma Rock...I was told I had to climb to the top and back down in less than an hour to be accepted by their tribe as an honorary Gbagyi....otherwise, they threatened to circumcise me whether I needed it or not!!!....anyways, nice people!!........BTW, there's lions over there....and they ain't from Detroit!!....:crazy1:
One of the things I've tried telling our high school coaches is to implement this dance I was shown into Burnet's agility drills....but they just won't listen!!!...check out the crazy footwork!!....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ572yLH9sc

ronwx5x
02-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Saggy, you certainly asked for advice from the wrong group! The only thing of substance written was to ask folks who have been there lately.

pancho villa
02-20-2015, 09:16 AM
F*ck off

You Butthurt Fresco?

Sville
02-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Saggy I spent a year in Kosovo working for Kellogg Brown & Root as a contract firefighter for the US Army in 2000. It was during the Albanian -Serbian conflict and considered a combat zone. I felt safe b/c the US Military and other NATO countries were providing all of the policing for the area. I was next to the Serbian border and stationed inside a US Army Camp Monteith. The private security forces for KBR were all ex-US Military and every one of them that I met were ex-special forces. I was 25 at the time and single. They paid me a bunch of money to go over there. Your situation is a lot different in that you will be relying on a foreign govt. and private security totally for your safety. Considering what information you have provided I doubt I would go myself.

On a side note fast forward to 2004 and KBR called me to ask if I wanted to do the same thing in Afghanistan for about 25% more than I got paid in Kosovo. I wanted to go but was married now and the wifey nixed that.

Emerson1
02-20-2015, 11:56 AM
How much extra $$$$$$$$$$ are they giving you?

If you are on Reddit you might ask on /r/travel.

Saggy Aggie
02-20-2015, 04:37 PM
How much extra $$$$$$$$$$ are they giving you?

If you are on Reddit you might ask on /r/travel.

For 4/4 schedule, 40-50% uplift. For 6/2, 80-100%. Both schedules include an additional per diem, probably 40-50$/day but not positive.

All expenses paid and 10 hrs paid on travel days. On my off period, they fly me back to the states.

Sville
02-20-2015, 04:47 PM
For 4/4 schedule, 40-50% uplift. For 6/2, 80-100%. Both schedules include an additional per diem, probably 40-50$/day but not positive.

All expenses paid and 10 hrs paid on travel days. On my off period, they fly me back to the states.

Will you be staying in a company compound while you are there or have to get off-site lodging?

Saggy Aggie
02-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Will you be staying in a company compound while you are there or have to get off-site lodging?

Off site lodging.... But transportation is provided whatever that's worth

BwdLion73
02-21-2015, 09:00 AM

I think its an awesome opportunity and career/resume builder. It's what we jokingly called 35 years ago "something to tell the grandkids about".

However your last post about off site lodging causes me to pause...I also noticed on the non sports section you are buying a house? Long distance homes can be a problem to take care of and keep up.

Rabid Cougar
02-21-2015, 09:21 AM
What did I say about being a walking ATM machine? That place ain't Kuwait or Dubai

Saggy Aggie
02-21-2015, 10:08 AM
I think its an awesome opportunity and career/resume builder. It's what we jokingly called 35 years ago "something to tell the grandkids about".

However your last post about off site lodging causes me to pause...I also noticed on the non sports section you are buying a house? Long distance homes can be a problem to take care of and keep up.

I'm really hesitant about it. Wish it was in the Chevron compound at Lekki.

And yeah, trying to buy a house but not too worried about it. I got an old lady at home who can take care of most of those things

Sville
02-24-2015, 04:56 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/american-missionary-kidnapped-masked-gunmen-nigeria-article-1.2127313

Saggy Aggie
02-26-2015, 08:52 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/american-missionary-kidnapped-masked-gunmen-nigeria-article-1.2127313

Not trying to make light of that situation, but.... theres kidnappings in houston everyday....

Am i supposed to be deterred because someone got kidnapped?

Rabid Cougar
02-27-2015, 10:12 AM
Not trying to make light of that situation, but.... theres kidnappings in houston everyday....

Am i supposed to be deterred because someone got kidnapped?

Checked 6 months ( Jan-Jun) of crime statistics for Kidnapping in Houston, Texas for 2014.... nary a one. in 2013 , Kidnapping in Nigeria made up 26% of all kidnappings in the WORLD! Google is a horrible thing.