PDA

View Full Version : Question On NCAA Division College Baseball

PhiI C
05-30-2003, 11:04 PM
Does anyone know how the NCAA determines the host team for the Super Regionals in NCAA Division 1 College Baseball? Does the highest ranking seed get to host? I know that two teams are chosen to play two out three games but don't know how the host is determined. I ask this question now because if UT hosts the games then it would affect when the 3A state championship is held.

Jimbotex40
05-31-2003, 12:34 AM
the commitee who decides this didnt give the longhorns a chance to host the super regionals...just the regionals which take place this weekend...i believe they will play the winner of Rice and 3 sucky teams (in essence, guaranteed Rice wins) in Houston. if by some miracle the owls lose, the horns will host it, and then all the state games would have to be crammed within a 3day period of time all at round rock(next thursday thru saturday)

lets see, thats 15 baseball games in 3 days so 5 per day.

i dont know if this is possible????

TexasHSFootball
05-31-2003, 05:59 AM
The NCAA Selection Committee gave the top eight National seeds the right to host the Super Regionals should they advance in their own regional.

The Florida State Regional gets the winner of the Austin Regional in Tallahassee, Florida from June 6-8 for a best of three to detemine who advances to the College World Series should Florida State move on.. and it seems highly likely that it will happen.

Here is the bracket:
Fla. St. Regional vs. Texas Regional
NC State Regional vs. Miami, FL Regional
Rice Regional vs. Texas A&M Regional
Nebraska Regional vs. Auburn Regional
LSU Regional vs. So. Miss. Regional
Arizona St. Regional vs. CS Fullerton Regional
Stanford Regional vs. Long Beach St. Regional
Mississippi State Regional vs. GA Tech Regional

The National Seeds as noted above are as followed:
#1 - Florida State
#2 - LSU
#3 - Georgia Tech
#4 - Auburn
#5 - Rice
#6 - Stanford
#7 - Cal State - Fullerton
#8 - Miami, Fla.

Should Florida State advance, the Longhorns regional winner will go to Florida State. The Texas UIL Baseball Championships scheduled for Austin will NOT be affected in anyway due to the NCAA Baseball Tournament if Florida State goes on. If by some miracle, Florida State gets eliminated on its own turf and the Longhorns advance, some of the UIL Championships will be moved to Round Rock. But like I say, dont look for Florida State to lose at home.

Another sticking point to the factors is the Round Rock location. The Round Rock Express are scheduled for a game on June 6 against the Arkansas Travelers. The Frisco Roughriders series from the 7th to 10th was moved from Round Rock to Frisco to accomodate the UIL Tournament.

<small>[ May 31, 2003, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: TexasHSFootball ]</small>

3afan2K3
05-31-2003, 06:06 AM
NO - the tournament will not be moved out of Dell Diamond & Disch-Faulk. Where in the heck did you get that? See the below link from the UIL web site for the schedule depending on whether or not UT hosts a super regional. Everything else about the NCAA tournament is correct.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/ath/basesked.html

TexasHSFootball
05-31-2003, 06:17 AM
yep. :D

<small>[ May 31, 2003, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: TexasHSFootball ]</small>

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 12:03 PM
Thank you all for your answers. I did a little more research last night on it myself too. If Texas has to go to Florida then the State Semis will be on Wednesday and the State Championship game will be on Thursday. If Texas hosts then the State Championship will be Friday. Texas will host it if they win their regional and Florida State does not win theirs. But Florida State is expected to win theirs so Texas may be heading to Florida. Yesterday in Austin Texas beat Bucknell 7 to 0 and Lamar beat Arkansas 3 to 2. Right now after 2 innings Bucknell is leading Arkansas 1 to 1 (loser is eliminated). There are other games today. In Florida yesterday Florida State beat Jacksonville 6 to 0 and Southern Alabama beat Rutgers 14 to 1. After five innings today Rutgers is ahead of Jacksonville 4 to 1. More games are today. I will post results later since these games are important to the schedule next week.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 12:10 PM
At the end of 6 innings in Florida the score is Jacksonville 4 Rutgers 4. In Austin Arkansas is ahead of Bucknell 3 to 2 after 3 1/2 innings.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 02:04 PM
First games in Austin and Florida are over now. Arkansas beats Bucknell 10 to 7 in Austin and Rutgers beats Jacksonville 8 to 5 in Florida so Bucknell and Jacksonville are gone. Important games now about to start.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 04:55 PM
In Florida South Alabama is ahead of Florida State 3 to 1 after 8 1/2 innings. Florida State only has one more inning to catch up! Sinton 66 is posting what is happening in Austin.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 05:20 PM
A mistake on my part on the last post. It was just after 8 innings. Florida State Scores 4 runs in top of 8th inning and is now leading 5 to 3.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 05:27 PM
Eight innings have been completed. Florida State leads South Alabama by 5 to 3 and Florida State is coming to bat. South Alabama will have one last chance to catch up or win.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Actually South Alabama got a run in the 8th inning to make the score 5 to 4 in favor of Florida State.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 05:40 PM
OMG I need to learn how to read this thing. I thought the inning was over. In bottom of the 8th South Alabama has scored five runs and is leading Florida State 8 to 5!!

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 05:48 PM
Florida State's last chance. They score one run and it is now 8 to 6 in favor of South Alabama! There are two out and one runner on second base. Can South Alabama hold them and win? We will see.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 05:51 PM
South Alabama holds on and beats Florida State 8 to 6! Now to win the series Florida has to beat Rutgers tonight and South Alabama twice tonight. Texas may be hosting the Super Regional afterall.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 07:31 PM
In the nightly elimination game just started between Rutgers and Florida State they have completed one inning with no score. Rutgers had a chance but they left a runner at third base.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 07:35 PM
At the top of the second Florida State now has bases loaded with no outs. Can they score? We will see.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 07:45 PM
Florida State scores a run but leaves two runners at second and third as the last two batters are put out. Florida State 1 Rutgers 0.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 07:55 PM
Top of the third Florida State hit an in park home run with one runner on base. Score Florida State 3 Rutgers 0.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 08:04 PM
Three innings completed and Florida State leads Rutgers 3 to 0.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 08:25 PM
I am only reporting this game because it could have implecations on when the State 3A baseball championship is played. In the top of the fourth Florida State scored five runs and now leads 8 to 0. Rutgers coming to bat. Gee I wish someone would report on how the third game between Forney and Daingerfield is going. Oh well.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 09:22 PM
At the end of five innings the score is Florida State 16 Rutgers 5.

sinton66
05-31-2003, 09:35 PM
Hey Phil, Calallen won game two 5-1. Sinton, Calallen and Moody all three in their respective tourneys!!!!!!! Way to go Coastal Bend!!!!

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 09:45 PM
Thank you Sinton 66. That is great news! The Coastal Bend will be well represented at State! I wish someone would report on how Forney and Daingerfield is doing. Right now in the 7th inning Florida State is beating Rutgers 17 to 5. In Austin in the 6th inning Lamar is beating Arkansas 6 to 3.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 10:04 PM
They got a good one going in Austin tonight. At the bottom of the ninth inning Arkansas and Lamar are tied 6 to 6. Lamar is batting. If they score then it is over. In the ninth inning in Florida the score is still Florida State 17 Rutgers 5.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 10:17 PM
It is the bottom of the ninth in Florida with Florida State still leading Rutgers 17 to 5 and Rutgers is at bat for their last chance. In Austin Lamar and Arkansas are tied at 6 to 6 and are in extra innings now. Hey Sinton 66 one of us should have got someone from Forney or Daingerfield cell phone number so we could have been updated.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 10:40 PM
Florida State hangs on to beat Rutgers 17 to 7. Rutgers is eliminated. Now Florida State plays South Alabama tomorrow in the championship game. If Florida State wins the game then there will be a second game with winner going to super regionals. If Florida State loses the first game they are eliminated. They have to beat South Alabama twice to advance to regional. This game or games will greatly influence when the 3A State Championship game will be played.

PhiI C
05-31-2003, 11:12 PM
Lamar beats Arkansas at bottom of the 11th 7 to 6. Lamar plays Texas in the championship game tomorrow. If Texas wins they go to super regional. If Lamar wins they play a final game with the winner going to regional.

Jimbotex40
06-01-2003, 12:18 AM
yeah i just noticed that i was wrong

its the Aggies that will play the winner of rice's regional and the horns will play the winner of Fsu's regional assuming both teams win.

is Fsu or Rice better....i know Rice has previously been ranked no. 2 in the nation?

PhiI C
06-01-2003, 09:20 AM
I don't know which of the two teams are better or who is higher ranked. I do know that FSU was entered as the No. 1 seed in the playoffs. Also for them to advance they have to beat South Alabama twice today to advance. If they lose one of the games they are done for the year.

PhiI C
06-01-2003, 02:42 PM
In Game 1 Florida State is leading South Alabama 11 -3 in the sixth inning. It looks like they will have to play a deciding game after this one unless South Alabama rallies. In game 1 after 6 innings Lamar is beating Texas 3 to 2. If Lamar wins they will have a final deciding game too.

PhiI C
06-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Well both regions have to go to the final game as Texas loses to Lamar 6 to 2 and Florida State beats South Alabama 13 to 5. In the second games after one inning Florida State is ahead of South Alabama 4 to 0 and Texas is losing to Lamar 3 to 2. These games are for the regional championship and winner advances and loser is done.

PhiI C
06-01-2003, 05:30 PM
After 2 complete innings Florida State is ahead of South Alabama 5 to 0. It is still top of the second and UT is behind Lamar 3 to 2 but has a runner o third with one out. The web is slow reporting the game is Austin. For UT to host the super regionals UT must win and FSU must lose and as of right now according to the web sites neither of these are happening.

PhiI C
06-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Now it is official at the top of the third UT is still losing to Lamar 3 to 2. UT is batting and has a runner at first with no outs. Florida State is still ahead of South Alabama 5 to 0 at bottom of third.

PhiI C
06-01-2003, 05:48 PM
After 3 complete innins Florida State 5 South Alabama 1 and Lamar 3 Texas 2.

PhiI C
06-01-2003, 06:36 PM
After 5 complete innings Texas has fought back to take the lead over Lamar 5 to 3 and Florida State is ahead of South Alabama 8 to 2. I have to leave for a while but when I get back I will post final results here. If anyone finds out the final results before I get back feel free to post the information here. The main point is to get the information to everyone as soon as possible regardless of who is posting.

Old Cardinal
06-01-2003, 07:18 PM
Boy, the Golden Triangle boys have given Texas U. a good series. Even leading in this last game for 4 1/2 innings. It's now in the last inning and I just don't think Lamar U. has the steam to come back...They played five rapid-fire games, and are dog tired...Best of luck to the U. of Texas, but you remember that you were really challenged by kids from Kelly, Beaumont; Little Cypress-Mauriceville; and all the other little teams around Beaumont. These were kids that were not chosen by the highly touted giant universities. It's a matter that Coach Jim Gillian knows how to take the 'average" and make a challenging team grounded in teamwork unity. That 6-2 game was a little humorous, over Texas.

<small>[ June 01, 2003, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

PhiI C
06-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Texas holds on and beats Lamar 6 to 3 to advance to super regionals and Florida State beats South Alabama 12 to 2 to advance to super regionals. Florida State will be the host next week and play Texas with winner needing to win 2 out three games. Since game is in Florida then according to UIL site the baseball 3A championship game will be Thursday at 6:00 P.M.