PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Rule Changes

TexMike
02-12-2015, 05:55 AM
This year's major changes were announced yesterday (Keep in mind UIL still has to look them over later this Spring):

All rules changes must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to discuss football rules recommendations via conference call March 5.

Rules proposals supported by the committee include:
•Allowing an eight-person officiating system to be utilized. A center judge was used experimentally in several conferences during the past two seasons. The benefits of having the extra official included getting the ball spotted more efficiently and detecting holding and hands-to-the-face penalties. (TeXMike comment: and we still are using mainly 5-person crews in HS. Has to change)

•The ineligible downfield rule was adjusted from three yards to one yard past the line of scrimmage. To be legal, a lineman who is more than one yard past the line of scrimmage must be engaged with a defensive player when a pass is released. (TeXMike comment: 1 for the D)

•A 15-yard unsportsmanlike foul will be called on players who push or pull opponents off piles – for example, following fumbles.

•If a helmet comes off a defensive player in the final minute of a half, there will be a 10-second runoff of the game clock and the play clock will be set at 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock was set to 25 seconds.

•Officials will return to giving teams an initial sideline warning when their personnel move out of the designated team bench area.

•Officials are to treat illegal equipment issues – such as jerseys tucked under the shoulder pads and writing on eye black – by making the player leave the field for one play. The player may remain in the game if his team takes a timeout to correct the equipment.

•Allow instant replay review to see if a kicking team player blocked the receiving team before the ball goes 10 yards on onside-kick plays. (TxXMike comment: This one is missed a lot so adding it to the IR list makes sense)

•Teams must be provided at least 22 minutes prior to kickoff for pregame warm-ups. Teams may mutually agree to shorten this time period.
•The calling of team timeouts by the head coach will be instant-replay reviewable at any time.
•If the play clock runs to 25 seconds before the ball is ready for play, officials will reset the clock to 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock would be reset when it reached 20 seconds. (TeXMike comment: Easy to do when you have an 8 man crew. With 5...good luck!!)

•Based on research findings of the National Football League, non-standard/overbuilt facemasks will be prohibited.
•The committee also discussed length-of-game issues in the sport, meeting with television partners in an effort to find ways to reduce dead time in the game. In the 2014 season, the average game in Football Bowl Subdivision was three hours and 19 minutes.

regaleagle
02-12-2015, 12:28 PM
I don't think 3 hrs. and 19 minutes is all that taxing for game length. That's fairly typical if you ask me. I guess that is from kickoff to the final play.

caleb_mccaig
02-12-2015, 12:33 PM
So wait, there's instant replay now? How do they do it? Do they just like at the film that the teams are taking? Or how do they do it?

coach
02-12-2015, 12:56 PM
So wait, there's instant replay now? How do they do it? Do they just like at the film that the teams are taking? Or how do they do it?

These are the NCAA rules. The replays do not pertain to high school.

Also, i have never understood the argument for the game being too long. I want the games to be long as a fan. It's fun. Why do we need to shorten fun?

YTBulldogs
02-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Been replays in college for a few years now Caleb. UIL has exceptions (IE: replay in HS, 10 second run off, etc) to NCAA rules. As noted in first sentence, when they meet this spring.

Emerson1
02-12-2015, 01:24 PM

.................................................. .................................................. ............................

Emerson1
02-12-2015, 01:25 PM
•A 15-yard unsportsmanlike foul will be called on players who push or pull opponents off piles – for example, following fumbles.

Best new rule.

GrTigers6
02-12-2015, 01:30 PM
•If a helmet comes off a defensive player in the final minute of a half, there will be a 10-second runoff of the game clock and the play clock will be set at 40 seconds. Previously, the play clock was set to 25 seconds.
Wait isn't that supposed to be an offensive player?

Emerson1
02-12-2015, 01:37 PM
Wait isn't that supposed to be an offensive player?

Seems like it should go both ways and either team should be able to decline it. I hope someone thought of being able to decline it.

The 10 seconds run off seems like the only thing that would happen. If a helmet comes off it will be during the play, and the play clock will have been reset anyways.

YTBulldogs
02-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Seems like it should go both ways and either team should be able to decline it. I hope someone thought of being able to decline it.

The 10 seconds run off seems like the only thing that would happen. If a helmet comes off it will be during the play, and the play clock will have been reset anyways.

You don't have an option to decline a helmet coming off. It's not a foul. Kid just has the leave for a play. You can decline if a player continues to play when it comes off. Then, that could be a foul.

Emerson1
02-12-2015, 03:01 PM
You don't have an option to decline a helmet coming off. It's not a foul. Kid just has the leave for a play. You can decline if a player continues to play when it comes off. Then, that could be a foul.

In that case the defense can be winning and just have helmets magically pop off. Automatic 10 second run off.

Now do you want the option for the opposing team to be able to decline the run off? The way it's worded doesn't make any sense.

A losing team could manipulate it too. Run extra time off so the other team doesn't have any time if you happen to score.

YTBulldogs
02-12-2015, 03:14 PM
In that case the defense can be winning and just have helmets magically pop off. Automatic 10 second run off.

Now do you want the option for the opposing team to be able to decline the run off? The way it's worded doesn't make any sense.

A losing team could manipulate it too. Run extra time off so the other team doesn't have any time if you happen to score.

I hear ya Emerson. It's very odd. Not sure it's worded properly. Just glad we in high school don't have to worry about it. The 10-sec run off procedure. Hope it stays that way.

Rabid Cougar
02-12-2015, 04:15 PM
I don't see anything that will impact us except for what GRT6 stated. That's actually a good thing.

YTBulldogs
02-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Yeah RC, I think 2 will have HS effect. If UIL concurs this Spring. Rest appears college related.

•The ineligible downfield rule was adjusted from three yards to one yard past the line of scrimmage. To be legal, a lineman who is more than one yard past the line of scrimmage must be engaged with a defensive player when a pass is released.

•A 15-yard unsportsmanlike foul will be called on players who push or pull opponents off piles – for example, following fumbles. (Great change IMO.)

caleb_mccaig
02-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Lol okay, I totally overlooked the sentence that said it was NCAA rules and that the UIL still has to overlook them and just read the rules themselves. I figured it was for high school since it wasn't posted in the college sports forum.

sinfan75
02-12-2015, 09:07 PM
I know during the championship games this past year the tv announcers were talking about the UIL looking into using instant replay for the finals in the future. Personally I hope they don't. Yea there have been some bad calls and no calls and all but they don't need that in high school. Actually I don't even like it in college and pro.

TexMike
02-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Hate to say it, but I would be shocked if the UIL does NOT use IR in champ games next season. They challenge now is to get it set up in a way that is best for all involved.

caleb_mccaig
02-13-2015, 10:21 AM
Hate to say it, but I would be shocked if the UIL does NOT use IR in champ games next season. They challenge now is to get it set up in a way that is best for all involved.

I don't see how you could use it for the championship, but not the playoff games before it. What if someone gets fricked over in the semis? We would never hear the end of it.