PDA

View Full Version : 4* LB doesn't sign LOI; Could this change recruiting in the future?

caleb_mccaig
02-11-2015, 12:49 AM
http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2015/02/09/new-roquan-smith-wont-sign-loi-with-new-school-per-coach/

Kid chose UCLA over UGA on NSD, but only sent in his financial aid agreement and not his LOI. Well, UCLA's defensive coordinator bolted for the NFL later on NSD. Since Smith didn't turn in his LOI and only his financial aid agreement that binds UCLA to hold his spot whether he decides to go there or not. He's still mulling his options between UCLA, UGA, A&M and I forgot the fourth school, but even when he decides where he wants to go he won't sign a LOI and won't become an official 'recruit' until his first day of classes.

He dodged a bullet, a lot of kids got screwed by coaches who recruited them leaving on NSD, including a UT coach who bolted to Florida.

This gives the kids more leverage, and I honestly didn't know this was even a thing. Obviously, not all recruits could pull this off, but if your in high demand then I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen more in the future.

Macarthur
02-11-2015, 07:37 AM
Agree. I think if they are going to keep the LOI for the kids then the school should be obligated to at least make sure a scholarship is honored for one year.

The kid has to give up one year. Should be the same for the school.