PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Rankings and Admission

New Taiton
02-10-2015, 03:18 PM
As some of you may know - I've maintained that no team has won a national championship in the BCS era and not had a top 10 class within four years of that championship. This is the sole reason why I believe that recruting rankings are so very important and not to be overlooked. I don't care how many 3* played in the Superbowl this year vs. how many 5* did. All I'm concerned with is what they do in college.

There are some on here that called me dumb and told me rankings are worthless etc. and I maintained my ground that no team has won a MNC with a bunch of coached up choir boys. So what is posted below is not "message board fodder" or other rubbish that some us get accused of writing on here. Rather, it is facts as reported by a legitimate sports journal.

There has been one team since 1995 that has won a national title without having a top 10 class and that is the 2000 Oklahoma team, of which I didn't know about (I think rivals rankings go back to 2003). However, every championship team except that OU team has had at least two top 10 classes in the four years before its title.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/top-ten-signing-classes-are-necessary-for-national-titles-020515

caleb_mccaig
02-10-2015, 05:31 PM
As some of you may know - I've maintained that no team has won a national championship in the BCS era and not had a top 10 class within four years of that championship. This is the sole reason why I believe that recruting rankings are so very important and not to be overlooked. I don't care how many 3* played in the Superbowl this year vs. how many 5* did. All I'm concerned with is what they do in college.

There are some on here that called me dumb and told me rankings are worthless etc. and I maintained my ground that no team has won a MNC with a bunch of coached up choir boys. So what is posted below is not "message board fodder" or other rubbish that some us get accused of writing on here. Rather, it is facts as reported by a legitimate sports journal.

There has been one team since 1995 that has won a national title without having a top 10 class and that is the 2000 Oklahoma team, of which I didn't know about (I think rivals rankings go back to 2003). However, every championship team except that OU team has had at least two top 10 classes in the four years before its title.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/top-ten-signing-classes-are-necessary-for-national-titles-020515

I'm surprised even one team has done it.

I agree though, a lot of people who cheer for schools who don't land the big time recruits, but have success, are really the only ones who argue that stars don't matter on recruits. There are really only four schools that come to my mind who have almost broken that trend. TCU, Baylor, Boise State (When they were good) and Oregon. Baylor and Oregon are kind of on the same page, they may get one 5* every few years, but it's mostly 3*'s and 4*'s and recruiting classes in the 20's. I don't keep up with TCU's recruiting, but I don't remember ever hearing a big time 5* actually signing there.

If stars don't matter than someone please explain to me how Alabama is in the championship picture EVERY SINGLE YEAR and also have the top recruiting class every year.

New Taiton
02-10-2015, 05:51 PM
If stars don't matter than someone please explain to me how Alabama is in the championship picture EVERY SINGLE YEAR and also have the top recruiting class every year.

Well I know one person who won't be answering this question.....

1stnurseryman
02-10-2015, 10:35 PM
The new playoff system is the worst thing for Alabama's football program and if you don't believe me set back and watch!!!

caleb_mccaig
02-11-2015, 12:39 AM
The new playoff system is the worst thing for Alabama's football program and if you don't believe me set back and watch!!!

I mean they're batting 1.000 when it comes to actually being in the playoff. More than any team in the Big 12 can claim.

Rabid Cougar
02-11-2015, 10:39 AM
Alabama has 5/4*High school All-American's as backups to 5/4* High school All-Americans not 3* 5A All-Distirct players backing up 3* 1st team All-State players ..... simple as that.

But if you remember Alabama didn't do that in the time between Stallings and Saban and you see how many title games they played in that time period.

USC did it too back in the early 2000's. Ohio State is beginning to get that way now. You watch.

There is a direct correlation between the two.

New Taiton
02-11-2015, 10:55 AM
But if you remember Alabama didn't do that in the time between Stallings and Saban and you see how many title games they played in that time period.

USC did it too back in the early 2000's. Ohio State is beginning to get that way now. You watch.

There is a direct correlation between the two.

Mack Brown deserves the same credit as Texas was the king of recruiting during their two NC runs in 2006 and 2009.

Rabid Cougar
02-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Mack Brown deserves the same credit as Texas was the king of recruiting during their two NC runs in 2006 and 2009.

Agreed

NastySlot
02-12-2015, 10:10 AM

Can't argue with that.

New Taiton
02-12-2015, 10:25 AM
Agreed

Can't argue with that.

Ironic given that the company line in Austin right now is that Mack just recruited stars and didn't develop, etc. He had something like 13 seasons with 10+ wins. But they threw him under the bus after the 2010 debacle. Sad deal.

Macarthur
02-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Ironic given that the company line in Austin right now is that Mack just recruited stars and didn't develop, etc. He had something like 13 seasons with 10+ wins. But they threw him under the bus after the 2010 debacle. Sad deal.

Agree. They quickly turned on ol Mack.

NastySlot
02-12-2015, 11:52 AM

Those morons are so out of touch with the reality of college athletics. They probably think Mack and his staff forgot how to coach. The year before "Core Values" Charlie got there Mack and his staff did a great job. They were playing for a conference title the last week of the season.

The world caught up with Mack and the horns........sort of the same thing with RC at A&M (minus the MNC). Great teams and programs have a way of making their rivals better.

hookandladder
02-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Those morons are so out of touch with the reality of college athletics. They probably think Mack and his staff forgot how to coach. The year before "Core Values" Charlie got there Mack and his staff did a great job. They were playing for a conference title the last week of the season.

The world caught up with Mack and the horns........sort of the same thing with RC at A&M (minus the MNC). Great teams and programs have a way of making their rivals better.

Nasty, never knew you had some much butt hurt for The University of Texas. Lol

Macarthur
02-12-2015, 12:01 PM

I get that you like to troll, but it would be nice if every now and then you make an actual contribution to the board.

NastySlot
02-12-2015, 12:21 PM

No butt hurt I have family that graduated from Texas...well at least law school. We have good discussions and banter- normally that is true for all the Texas Exes I know.

I was huge fan of the horns growing up attended many a game in Austin and lots of Texas/OU games. I just out grew them, also grew tired of the media bs and really tired of the arrogance (mainly from loud mouths that never even attended school there).

I don't feel there is anything wrong with pulling for a school you never attended, heck I kinda pull for OU a little now. Learned to like them while my son was employed in the Athletic Dept there. but I don't go around singing the praises of the Sooners and ripping rivals. I enjoy watching and them respect their football history....you outta check it out, it's pretty impressive.

Heck I'll even watch the LHN for both baseball and softball. I even have a Horn coach/and friend as a reference on my resume.

hookandladder
02-12-2015, 12:35 PM
No butt hurt I have family that graduated from Texas...well at least law school. We have good discussions and banter- normally that is true for all the Texas Exes I know.

I was huge fan of the horns growing up attended many a game in Austin and lots of Texas/OU games. I just out grew them, also grew tired of the media bs and really tired of the arrogance (mainly from loud mouths that never even attended school there).

I don't feel there is anything wrong with pulling for a school you never attended, heck I kinda pull for OU a little now. Learned to like them while my son was employed in the Athletic Dept there. but I don't go around singing the praises of the Sooners and ripping rivals. I enjoy watching and them respect their football history....you outta check it out, it's pretty impressive.

Heck I'll even watch the LHN for both baseball and softball. I even have a Horn coach/and friend as a reference on my resume.

Wow, from this it is hard to understand why you hating on Strong for having Core Values. I understand no one is perfect and all have had issues in their past but to dog someone who is trying to make positive changes just does not add up, I am not saying Strong is a saint and like most I am sure he has done things in his past that he regrets however he is doing what needs to be done at Texas. Let's Ride, Hookem.

hookandladder
02-12-2015, 12:37 PM
I get that you like to troll, but it would be nice if every now and then you make an actual contribution to the board.

Mac, I have no need to ever care what you think about me. Your just a tool, Lol

NastySlot
02-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Wow, from this it is hard to understand why you hating on Strong for having Core Values. I understand no one is perfect and all have had issues in their past but to dog someone who is trying to make positive changes just does not add up, I am not saying Strong is a saint and like most I am sure he has done things in his past that he regrets however he is doing what needs to be done at Texas. Let's Ride, Hookem.

Well it's like this Strong is not doing anything other coaches and programs around the country aren't doing. Most athletic departments, teams, coaches, kids/players have value systems in place along with expectations. Strong and the media have made it out to be that Strong is some sort of innovative genius on values. Heck if you look at his Core Values only one of them is a value the others are just rules or things people should do because there just good ways to be responsible and respect others.

He has been at times selective with who he's enforcing or holding accountable. Strong had nothing when he and his staff were running around like chickens with their heads cut off in the early season losses. He the media choose to deflect the losses and struggles by blaming the previous staff and the conditions he inherited. He was handcuff a little but get real and you know their was plenty of talent on the roster ( i know you don't care for stars but that roster was full of 4/5 star talent).

I think he will end doing ok in the Big 12 and I do admire your commitment to him since your have trusted him with your son. Not sure if I would totally buy into him.

You also need to remember he fired the first shot at A&M and Sumlin by saying that he and the horns would not be a gadget program. Well he's right, he runs a gimmick program- Core Value media hype, no decals on helmets, Let's Ride, that actor with his motivational speech at practice, house of bricks, University of Mars etc. his South Florida kids get it comments. He's own players can't figure him out at times....tear down the BYU info or leave? Sumlin kicks guys off he has lost control of his program- Charlie does it and he's cleaning up- right?

You also have to remember Strong and the horns are going to get a little ripping because remember before he was hired the rest of the state or non horn fans had to listen to how Saban, Harbaugh, Mora and every other big name out there was coming. One of those horn site guys even proclaimed this to be the coaching hire to tell your grand-kids. So that horn arrogance kinda has set up Charlie.

It's kinda liking bragging everyone listens and doesn't say much until the one doing the bragging fails then you'll hear about it.

Again I have no "butt hurt"

Just remember Moses came down from the mountain with a list of rules/values/commandments.......then he and his people proceeded to roam in the wilderness for 40 years and even then Moses never made it to the promised land.

Hope for your sake and horns Charlie doesn't turn out to be like Moses................lol.

hookandladder
02-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Well it's like this Strong is not doing anything other coaches and programs around the country aren't doing. Most athletic departments, teams, coaches, kids/players have value systems in place along with expectations. Strong and the media have made it out to be that Strong is some sort of innovative genius on values. Heck if you look at his Core Values only one of them is a value the others are just rules or things people should do because there just good ways to be responsible and respect others.

He has been at times selective with who he's enforcing or holding accountable. Strong had nothing when he and his staff were running around like chickens with their heads cut off in the early season losses. He the media choose to deflect the losses and struggles by blaming the previous staff and the conditions he inherited. He was handcuff a little but get real and you know their was plenty of talent on the roster ( i know you don't care for stars but that roster was full of 4/5 star talent).

I think he will end doing ok in the Big 12 and I do admire your commitment to him since your have trusted him with your son. Not sure if I would totally buy into him.

You also need to remember he fired the first shot at A&M and Sumlin by saying that he and the horns would not be a gadget program. Well he's right, he runs a gimmick program- Core Value media hype, no decals on helmets, Let's Ride, that actor with his motivational speech at practice, house of bricks, University of Mars etc. his South Florida kids get it comments. He's own players can't figure him out at times....tear down the BYU info or leave? Sumlin kicks guys off he has lost control of his program- Charlie does it and he's cleaning up- right?

You also have to remember Strong and the horns are going to get a little ripping because remember before he was hired the rest of the state or non horn fans had to listen to how Saban, Harbaugh, Mora and every other big name out there was coming. One of those horn site guys even proclaimed this to be the coaching hire to tell your grand-kids. So that horn arrogance kinda has set up Charlie.

It's kinda liking bragging everyone listens and doesn't say much until the one doing the bragging fails then you'll hear about it.

Again I have no "butt hurt"

Just remember Moses came down from the mountain with a list of rules/values/commandments.......then he and his people proceeded to roam in the wilderness for 40 years and even then Moses never made it to the promised land.

Hope for your sake and horns Charlie doesn't turn out to be like Moses................lol.

Man that a lot to read, hate to say but most of what you said just makes you sound pretty jealous of the Texas program. You can believe whatever you want about coach Strong but no way in hell I or for the most part anyone outside of the sec or an aggy believe that crap. It is just amazing how much you aggys compare yourself to Texas, if your school would actually win something in football maybe it would not be the butt of all jokes. You can talk all the **** you want about Texas but until atm wins something, atm will always be Texas little brother. Just a fact, Lol

NastySlot
02-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Man that a lot to read, hate to say but most of what you said just makes you sound pretty jealous of the Texas program. You can believe whatever you want about coach Strong but no way in hell I or for the most part anyone outside of the sec or an aggy believe that crap. It is just amazing how much you aggys compare yourself to Texas, if your school would actually win something in football maybe it would not be the butt of all jokes. You can talk all the **** you want about Texas but until atm wins something, atm will always be Texas little brother. Just a fact, Lol

Sorry for the long post. Teach you a new one TLDR- since regardless of what was written you aren't going to give a creditable response to anyone. You can save yourself some time with a response by using it...................lol funny boy.

I wasn't trying to change you opinion. Also no way in heck am I jealous about anything the so called "flagship" has accomplished. If I even had the least bite of jealousy I could of taken care of it by attending or even persuaded one of my children to choose Texas, it was always their choice where to attend however.

Remember a few post back when I said the fan base in Austin is out of touch with college athletics- you resemble that. You are no ones big brother- Eat Em Up

TLDR=too long didn't read.

NastySlot
02-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Sorry to all ..........some how Hook and I have derailed this thread.

hookandladder
02-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Sorry for the long post. Teach you a new one TLDR- since regardless of what was written you aren't going to give a creditable response to anyone. You can save yourself some time with a response by using it...................lol funny boy.

I wasn't trying to change you opinion. Also no way in heck am I jealous about anything the so called "flagship" has accomplished. If I even had the least bite of jealousy I could of taken care of it by attending or even persuaded one of my children to choose Texas, it was always their choice where attend however.

Remember a few post back when I said the fan base in Austin is out of touch with college athletics- you resemble that. You are no ones big brother- Eat Em Up

TLDR=too long didn't read.

Out of touch with college athletics, that has to be the dumbest post ever. ATM fans are the most clueless yahoos around, hell most of there fans cannot even spell football much less know what the hell they are talking about. Glad your kids picked atm, mind never ever even considered atm. Good for them, Whoop or whatever you call it.

hookandladder
02-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Sorry to all ..........some how Hook and I have derailed this thread.

No ****, Lol

hookandladder
02-12-2015, 03:31 PM

Just in case you forgot where this all started, it was here moron. Lol

Macarthur
02-12-2015, 06:10 PM
Out of touch with college athletics, that has to be the dumbest post ever. ATM fans are the most clueless yahoos around, hell most of there fans cannot even spell football much less know what the hell they are talking about. Glad your kids picked atm, mind never ever even considered atm. Good for them, Whoop or whatever you call it.

897 !!!!!

NastySlot
02-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Just in case you forgot where this all started, it was here moron. Lol

You're a classic.............you were offended by my use of the word moron? You can't make a post without calling someone or a fan base a bunch of losers. Heck you even called someone a coward once.

I've held back buying into what most of the other posters have said about your lack of intelligence when it comes to discussions. I pretty much gave credit where it was due and you still found away to blow up a topic or a discussion.

You're so typical I could go out to the pasture bottle some $#!+ slap a burnt orange label on it ( I could even call it Core Values) and you'd buy it and claim it to be the best bottle of $#!+ ever.

I liked you better in the old days when you added value to baseball discussions. Maybe I can hold out a few more days and you again will add value to discussions....baseball starts this weekend.

Saggy Aggie
02-12-2015, 10:20 PM

Yeah, they didn't consider A&M... Just Blinn...

hookandladder
02-13-2015, 06:56 AM
Yeah, they didn't consider A&M... Just Blinn...

A solid stepping stone school for athletics, something you would know nothing about. Although there are quite a few aggy student's that attend Blinn at College Station first if they do not qualify out of high school, Right saggy.

New Taiton
02-13-2015, 09:34 AM
hell most of there fans cannot even spell football much less know what the hell they are talking about.

Lol.

New Taiton
02-13-2015, 09:43 AM
Glad your kids picked atm, mind never ever even considered atm.

This is a pure example as to why you are a troll.

My kids will definitely consider UT. Texas is a great school with great academics. If Texas has a better career path for their chosen study, then my opinion is to go to Texas. If A&M offers a better path, then College Station it is.

hookandladder
02-13-2015, 12:15 PM
You're a classic.............you were offended by my use of the word moron? You can't make a post without calling someone or a fan base a bunch of losers. Heck you even called someone a coward once.

I've held back buying into what most of the other posters have said about your lack of intelligence when it comes to discussions. I pretty much gave credit where it was due and you still found away to blow up a topic or a discussion.

You're so typical I could go out to the pasture bottle some $#!+ slap a burnt orange label on it ( I could even call it Core Values) and you'd buy it and claim it to be the best bottle of $#!+ ever.

I liked you better in the old days when you added value to baseball discussions. Maybe I can hold out a few more days and you again will add value to discussions....baseball starts this weekend.

I only post back after the first jab has been thrown, if you think I am going to sit here and listen to you and other talk **** about Texas and not get offended then you are nuts. It is funny how you can call me a troll when I defend Texas and you come on here talking **** about Strong and Texas fans, look in the freaking mirror. I add value to a discussion if the tread is not taking cheap shots at my opinion, my only cheap shots are directed at aggy losers when they derserve it. Lol

hookandladder
02-13-2015, 12:25 PM
This is a pure example as to why you are a troll.

My kids will definitely consider UT. Texas is a great school with great academics. If Texas has a better career path for their chosen study, then my opinion is to go to Texas. If A&M offers a better path, then College Station it is.

I guess being a Texas fan that defends his team on a thread is a troll in your eyes, then yes call me a troll. I did not knock his kids about attending atm, just stated a fact that my son never ever considered atm. You try to turn everything around to make an argument or make my comment look bad, that is what I would call a Troll.

Saggy Aggie
02-13-2015, 01:54 PM
Although there are quite a few aggy student's that attend Blinn at College Station first if they do not qualify out of high school, Right saggy.

I wouldn't know