PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Traylor reportedly interviewing for coaching job at UT

Aesculus gilmus
02-07-2015, 11:54 AM
"Per Scout, via 247, Texas is interviewing Gilmer HC Jeff Traylor for the vacant TE/ST coaching position. I have no idea if this means McGuire turned it down, or if Texas wants to move forward with other candidates while McGuire mulls it over. Traylor has spent 14 years at Gilmer and was/is HC for Texas recruits Kris and Demarco Boyd."

http://www.hornsports.com/forums/topic/9615-gilmer-hc-jeff-traylor-being-interviewed-for-test/

Aesculus gilmus
02-07-2015, 12:20 PM
http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/155998-The-Better-Hire-Cedar-Hill-s-Joey-McGuire-or-Gilmer-s-Jeff-Traylor

More information on this thread. This is my other alma mater besides Gilmer and I've always told him he is not allowed to leave for any other school but Texas. ;)

lostaussie
02-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Jeff's son Jordan is on the A&M roster. That would be weird!!

Aesculus gilmus
02-07-2015, 01:57 PM
a

It would be if they were still rivals. There's not much chance the two schools will meet while Jordan is still at A&M. The Aggies reportedly didn't want to play Texas in one of the minor bowl games last year because they feared being upset. Obviously, after seeing the results of the Texas-Arkansas game, their fears were unfounded.

regaleagle
02-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Obviously is right.:smoker:

lostaussie
02-07-2015, 08:30 PM
So this is my thought and my thought only. I don't know what Jeff's ambitions are. I want him to achieve any ambitions he has. If he had admirations of being in college then by all means, follow your dreams.......but if he's happy, and I mean really content on where he is........ Then let's go down as one of the most storied coaches and programs in Texas High School history. Because that's where he and the Buckeyes are headed.

bobcat1
02-07-2015, 10:12 PM
So this is my thought and my thought only. I don't know what Jeff's ambitions are. I want him to achieve any ambitions he has. If he had admirations of being in college then by all means, follow your dreams.......but if he's happy, and I mean really content on where he is........ Then let's go down as one of the most storied coaches and programs in Texas High School history. Because that's where he and the Buckeyes are headed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzZN3rmN_IE

Snotbubbles
02-08-2015, 01:05 AM
This guy is a great small HS coach. You can't tell me though, Texas can't find a current college TE coach, looking for a change/promotion. Big difference from HS to college. I don't see this happening. Ya'll are safe in Gelmer.

Lion70
02-08-2015, 03:36 AM
Well he got a lot of experience in the recruitment process. I am sure he would be great .

bobcat1
02-08-2015, 07:32 AM
Well he got a lot of experience in the recruitment process. I am sure he would be great .:spitlol:

oldtownag
02-08-2015, 02:35 PM
The Aggies reportedly didn't want to play Texas in one of the minor bowl games last year because they feared being upset.

It was also "reported" that Kyler Murray was going to sign with tu on NSD. It seems that quite a few longhorn journalism graduates are working across the state.

I for one would love to play Texas again!

Aesculus gilmus
02-08-2015, 03:10 PM
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/19/report-sec-am-would-nix-bowl-game-vs-texas/

A&M definitely should have agreed to play Texas in a minor bowl game, where they would have routed the hapless Horns. Then maybe they wouldn't have been out-recruited.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/TeamRankings

Saggy Aggie
02-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Texas offered 16 players who signed with A&M, including the biggest one of them all, Kyler murray.

A&M offered 5 players who signed with Texas.

Now please tell me who 'won' the recruiting battle....

Saggy Aggie
02-08-2015, 04:25 PM
"Per Scout, via 247, Texas is interviewing Gilmer HC Jeff Traylor for the vacant TE/ST coaching position. I have no idea if this means McGuire turned it down, or if Texas wants to move forward with other candidates while McGuire mulls it over. Traylor has spent 14 years at Gilmer and was/is HC for Texas recruits Kris and Demarco Boyd."

http://www.hornsports.com/forums/topic/9615-gilmer-hc-jeff-traylor-being-interviewed-for-test/

McGuire has officially declined the offer

Aesculus gilmus
02-08-2015, 05:19 PM
I don't rate the recruiting classes. What I read says most services rate UT's above A&M's this year. But it doesn't mean much. Mack Brown was always called Mr. February and it wasn't a compliment because most of the time he couldn't do all that much with the recruits.

As for the other thing, my gut always told me Traylor would get this job. The question now is who will be his successor. I think it'll be Matt Turner, who has been OC since around 2003. I have no inside sources on this. Once again, just a gut feeling.

Gobbler Fan
02-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Enjoy Murray while you can because as soon as he's picked high in baseball draft he wont play a down for the aggies. Strong out recruited A&M after a 6-7 season and A&M and all the Sec crap that Sumlin is riding the coattails on will be out the window as soon as Strong brings in his kids. Texas will still be Texas and back to winning Championships and the ags will still be finishing 4th in the SEC. But hey the do have the Swagcopter and a barbershop not to mention a Coach who they can go out drinking with. :thumbsup::evillol:

Eagle1
02-08-2015, 10:52 PM
I thought all the Gilmer folks are always talking about how Gilmer was trailors dream job and how he planned to retire in Gilmer. I guess money talks and bs walks.

Lion70
02-09-2015, 01:23 AM
Enjoy Murray while you can because as soon as he's picked high in baseball draft he wont play a down for the aggies. Strong out recruited A&M after a 6-7 season and A&M and all the Sec crap that Sumlin is riding the coattails on will be out the window as soon as Strong brings in his kids. Texas will still be Texas and back to winning Championships and the ags will still be finishing 4th in the SEC. But hey the do have the Swagcopter and a barbershop not to mention a Coach who they can go out drinking with. :thumbsup::evillol:
Lol put the beer down and back away from the xbox. Your obviously delusional. Note to poster 1 NC since 1969 doesn't make you bama.

Celina8
02-09-2015, 05:41 AM
Briles pretty much went this same path I seem to remember. Started as a Wide Receiver coach at Texas Tech, then OC to head Coach at Houston. I can see Traylor following that same path !

oldtownag
02-09-2015, 07:27 AM

Delusional!

lostaussie
02-09-2015, 08:46 AM
As usual when one or the other school gets brought up the topic changes. We gonna discuss a potential coaching change or we gonna discuss who won the mythical recruiting battle? Jeez

NastySlot
02-09-2015, 09:22 AM

You don't football much do you? Or at least know recruiting- hint don't get too caught on team recruiting rankings- those rankings are put so folks will continue to pay for the services of those sites. You're coming across a typical horn fan that believes everything they tell you. It' not the Mack Brown Era anymore when you could actually believe what you were told or read.

Hey you do have a jet pack man, core values, that guy that drives a Lincoln giving motivational speeches and a bunch of 4 star and 5 star guys that your staff couldn't coach up........just blame it on Mack.

Hook Em

NastySlot
02-09-2015, 09:24 AM
As usual when one or the other school gets brought up the topic changes. We gonna discuss a potential coaching change or we gonna discuss who won the mythical recruiting battle? Jeez

You know I need to apologize- I just replied to a poster. I will not post on this thread anymore. You all deserve a great discussion, not me and a bunch of guys hijacking it.........Sorry.

1st and goal
02-09-2015, 11:05 AM

Are they growing that good of stuff in Cuero these days? What have you been smoking?

coach
02-09-2015, 03:57 PM

Why? Texas is scared to play ATM, remember.

If i were the son, I would be asking my dad every day. 'So, dad... you scared ti play your son?"

coach
02-09-2015, 03:59 PM

Is that why ATM won the head to head recruiting battle. ATM had 3 5 star signees. The Big 12 had 1..... 2 of those 5 stars that atm got chose atm over texas. atm also had more 4 star signees.

Rabid Cougar
02-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Postions like that are perfect place for a high school coach to "start". Desoto's former HC is now the RB coach at SMU.

Aesculus gilmus
02-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Why? Texas is scared to play ATM, remember.

If i were the son, I would be asking my dad every day. 'So, dad... you scared ti play your son?"

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/19/report-sec-am-would-nix-bowl-game-vs-texas/

Gobbler Fan
02-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Is that why ATM won the head to head recruiting battle. ATM had 3 5 star signees. The Big 12 had 1..... 2 of those 5 stars that atm got chose atm over texas. atm also had more 4 star signees.

One of those was a legacy that Sumlin almost lost and the other was a WR which is not where they need help. Mack was the only recruit that may help that defense but seeing how they missed out on important needs CB & LB they will still be in the same boat so nothing changes '4th place at best'. Funny how A&M fans still think Texas is their biggest rival when they don't even play each other....you guys were out recruited by 3/4 SEC teams so like I said nothing changes :evillol:

bobcat1
02-09-2015, 07:16 PM

Derailing the train is what makes forums fun!:taunt:

Aesculus gilmus
02-09-2015, 07:38 PM
I started the thread, but it might as well "derail" into other topics as there is pretty much a 99.99999999 percent chance Traylor is "GTT" as the frontiersmen used to carve on trees in the 1800s ("Gone to Texas").

I may have to start a new thread by tomorrow night about Matt Turner, the probable new head coach.

lostaussie
02-09-2015, 08:23 PM
I started the thread, but it might as well "derail" into other topics as there is pretty much a 99.99999999 percent chance Traylor is "GTT" as the frontiersmen used to carve on trees in the 1800s ("Gone to Texas").

I may have to start a new thread by tomorrow night about Matt Turner, the probable new head coach.

99.99999 for someone who hasn't even had an interview? OK den

buckeyebob
02-09-2015, 08:24 PM
http://www.news-journal.com/etvarsity/high_school/gilmer-s-traylor-to-interview-for-assistant-coach-job-with/article_b5f8be94-b0b2-11e4-be93-6bb0f457b96d.html

There ya go...

lostaussie
02-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Nothing like Bob coming to the rescue and filling us in on a 4 day old story:D

Aesculus gilmus
02-09-2015, 08:44 PM
This doesn't hurt me as much as it would if I were an Aggie. I feel your pain, Aggies. Or at least I'm trying to. ;)

I want to echo what Gobbler Fan said upthread about A&M. The Aggies are having trouble "letting go" of the now-defunct rivalry, even though it was their idea to kill it by SECeding.

buckeyebob
02-09-2015, 10:47 PM
Nothing like Bob coming to the rescue and filling us in on a 4 day old story:D

It was new to me...I can still hide my own Easter Eggs

waterboy
02-10-2015, 08:33 AM

I like the idea of Matt Turner getting his chance IF Traylor decides to move on, but I've also heard some sources mention Alan Metzel as probable HC. Either way, I think Gilmer's winning tradition will continue with or without Jeff for a long time. The program is established.

Aesculus gilmus
02-10-2015, 08:48 AM
I'd be fine with either one of them. I think you're right about the program. Time will tell.

coach
02-10-2015, 10:25 AM
One of those was a legacy that Sumlin almost lost and the other was a WR which is not where they need help. Mack was the only recruit that may help that defense but seeing how they missed out on important needs CB & LB they will still be in the same boat so nothing changes '4th place at best'. Funny how A&M fans still think Texas is their biggest rival when they don't even play each other....you guys were out recruited by 3/4 SEC teams so like I said nothing changes :evillol:

Almost? This isn't horseshoes. He got 3 5 star kids to Texas' 1. it doesnt matter how they got them. And if I am not mistaken isnt Larry Pryor a really good CB. They also got the kid from Ennis that is a 4 star. And you think ATM thinks Texas is their rival and Texas doesn't? Did you not see what went on during the Kyler Murray saga. Both schools still think they are rivals. Not just ATM. Dont bring that BS in here. You sound like a moron when you say stuff like that.

And you say nothing changes for atm... and we didnt get the needs on defense. What about texas? Their biggest need is a qb. They signed a guy with 5 td passes. 5! Texas will still be hovering around .500. Atm Just got one of the best dc's in the nation. Atm's d was really young last year. Texas' o line was abysmal and thier wrs are trash. So keep thinking ATM is in trouble. Charles has his own problems to worry about.

Dawgs
02-10-2015, 11:17 AM
Looks like they reached out to Surratt previously, and although he was honored he was not interested in leaving his current job.

Even if Traylor leaves Gilmer's tradition will continue. Too many athletes, and a coaching staff that has been together too long. Good luck to Gilmer and Traylor either way.

Aesculus gilmus
02-10-2015, 11:22 AM
"Both schools still think they are rivals."

Rivals play each other. I occasionally watch one of the Ags' SEC games, but most of the time I don't even think about them anymore because they're not in the Big 12. I've never been a fan of the SEC. It's a different brand of football than is played elsewhere. Too much emphasis on defense for me.

waterboy
02-10-2015, 11:55 AM
There's already chatter that Traylor is gone. Don't know how true it is yet, but usually that means he's agreed to take the position. Good luck to Coach Traylor if he goes to UT. He should help with recruiting in the Northeast Texas area for sure.

Saggy Aggie
02-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Yeah, hearing it's a done deal....

Weebe
02-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Looks like they reached out to Surratt previously, and although he was honored he was not interested in leaving his current job.

Even if Traylor leaves Gilmer's tradition will continue. Too many athletes, and a coaching staff that has been together too long. Good luck to Gilmer and Traylor either way.

So, let me get this straight. Two high school coaches turned down Texas to remain high school coaches?

Weebe
02-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Also, let's revisit this thread after schools starts next fall.

Murray could be gone to MLB and Texas is rumored to have several of their highest ranked commits as being grade risks. That's why several of them didn't have better offer lists.

Dawgs
02-10-2015, 02:53 PM
So, let me get this straight. Two high school coaches turned down Texas to remain high school coaches?

Yes, that's correct. 2 that still have kids in school.

"In addition, we received a tip that Strong previously reached out to Carthage High head coach Scott Surratt, which we confirmed through a source close to the situation. I was told Surratt was honored by Strong's inquisition, but he has young children and was not interested in leaving his current job."

Surratt hasn't been at Carthage as long as Traylor was at Gilmer. Plus we have much better facilities and a much richer school district. Traylor accomplished all he wanted to accomplish at the HS level it looks like. Surratt still wants to stay. People can say what they want. 100% Surratt has had many opportunities to leave for College and 5a / 6a. His family is happy in Carthage. Now when he has been in Carthage 15 years like Traylor was in Gilmer it might be a different story.

waterboy
02-10-2015, 03:10 PM
I think just about any HS head coach that has had a lot of success gets offers that nobody ever hears about. The thing is, most of the successful coaches have personal reasons for not taking jobs. The most common reason I've seen is that most of these coaches have kids at the schools they coach, and don't want to uproot their family just because of lure of money. There's also a lot of question marks as to what kind of success they can build once they start a new job. There's no guarantee that they will be given the staff and resources to be as successful at the next level. I know for a fact that Traylor has been approached numerous times before and turned them all down. It seems this particular opportunity may be the one that may be too good to pass up, seeing as the salary is double plus what he's making now, and it counts toward his TRS. I hate to see him go, but I wouldn't blame him if he did.

Aesculus gilmus
02-10-2015, 03:21 PM
Plus we have much better facilities and a much richer school district.

I think he got all the facilities upgrades he wanted except for the indoor practice facility. The voters of the GISD, though, including "waterboy" IIRC, have been voting down recent proposals which probably WOULD have passed in your rich district. They're about to call another election and I would imagine it'll go down in flames again. This is not the reason he's leaving, but I know it saddens him to see the voters of the district do this. He pleaded with those at the recent rally downtown not to make it "personal" this time.

Even though I voted for the new high school, I realize now that most people are struggling to even pay their property taxes and it's pretty much insane to call another election this soon,particularly after the collapse in oil prices that has happened in the meantime. But the powers that be have every right to do so. Maybe they can get some different people to count the votes next time and come up with an "upset victory" somehow.

Dawgs
02-10-2015, 03:28 PM
I think just about any HS head coach that has had a lot of success gets offers that nobody ever hears about. The thing is, most of the successful coaches have personal reasons for not taking jobs. The most common reason I've seen is that most of these coaches have kids at the schools they coach, and don't want to uproot their family just because of lure of money. There's also a lot of question marks as to what kind of success they can build once they start a new job. There's no guarantee that they will be given the staff and resources to be as successful at the next level. I know for a fact that Traylor has been approached numerous times before and turned them all down. It seems this particular opportunity may be the one that may be too good to pass up, seeing as the salary is double plus what he's making now, and it counts toward his TRS. I hate to see him go, but I wouldn't blame him if he did.

Exactly. Traylor stayed 15 years at his alma mater and put them on the map as a premier program in Texas. He raised his kids and made a huge impact on his community. This is a no brainer for Traylor. He has accomplished all he needs to at the HS level. People will say "it was at 3a level" but those people don't understand. Just let them talk. Those who have seen Gilmer's scheme and execution have now doubt what the result would be at a different school. Not many of the Traylors and Surratts around. It's only a matter of time before we lose Surratt, but it's not this year. If we have a 14 year run like Gilmer did with Traylor I will be happy. Gilmer will be fine. They have an awesome coaching staff.

waterboy
02-10-2015, 03:33 PM
Yes, I voted against the last proposal. it wasn't because I didn't "want" the Gilmer kids to have a new high school, or a "new" anything. The cost of the new high school was "padded" by at least 50%, and that right there told me they were going to have twice the money they needed, just like after the last bond that passed. I pay in excess of $4,000 a year in taxes now, albeit only a fraction of that goes to school taxes, but any increase in taxes has to justified, scrutinized, and minimized to meet the goals that the taxpayer is willing to agree to. by the way, I don't even have kids that go to Gilmer schools, but that doesn't mean I don't care. I would absolutely LOVE for Gilmer to have the best facilities, IF we can afford it.

Dawgs
02-10-2015, 03:35 PM
I think he got all the facilities upgrades he wanted except for the indoor practice facility. The voters of the GISD, though, including "waterboy" IIRC, have been voting down recent proposals which probably WOULD have passed in your rich district. They're about to call another election and I would imagine it'll go down in flames again. This is not the reason he's leaving, but I know it saddens him to see the voters of the district do this. He pleaded with those at the recent rally downtown not to make it "personal" this time.

Even though I voted for the new high school, I realize now that most people are struggling to even pay their property taxes and it's pretty much insane to call another election this soon,particularly after the collapse in oil prices that has happened in the meantime. But the powers that be have every right to do so. Maybe they can get some different people to count the votes next time and come up with an "upset victory" somehow.

This is not at all a knock, but do you think it is ok to pay Traylor 120k - 165k per year when your district struggles as much as it does financially? I have absolutely no problem with it, cause a winning program is important to me, but in the big scheme football is just a game. I would be interested to know how much Gilmer spends on football as compared to upgrades to schools and education and so forth. Again I'm not knocking anything, it's just an observation. Priorities seem to be out of wack over there.

Bosqueville
02-10-2015, 03:53 PM
This is not at all a knock, but do you think it is ok to pay Traylor 120k - 165k per year when your district struggles as much as it does financially? I have absolutely no problem with it, cause a winning program is important to me, but in the big scheme football is just a game. I would be interested to know how much Gilmer spends on football as compared to upgrades to schools and education and so forth. Again I'm not knocking anything, it's just an observation. Priorities seem to be out of wack over there.

:1popcorn:

waterboy
02-10-2015, 03:57 PM

The district is sound financially, and has a good rating. The money spent per student is right at about the state average. They aren't struggling financially. They just don't have the tax base districts like Carthage and Tatum have. It's not about the priorities being out of whack at all. It's about replacing a building that is about 60 years old. That kind of money would have to come in the way of a school bond.

Dawgs
02-10-2015, 04:30 PM
The district is sound financially, and has a good rating. The money spent per student is right at about the state average. They aren't struggling financially. They just don't have the tax base districts like Carthage and Tatum have. It's not about the priorities being out of whack at all. It's about replacing a building that is about 60 years old. That kind of money would have to come in the way of a school bond.

Ok fair enough. Only thing I know is what I hear here and other sites. I have heard several people saying that Gilmer will continue to lose students, and that the school is in bad shape. It sounded like the future was not very bright. Thanks for the information. So it seems no problems after all financially just don't have the tax base to pass a bond for a new school.

waterboy
02-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Ok fair enough. Only thing I know is what I hear here and other sites. I have heard several people saying that Gilmer will continue to lose students, and that the school is in bad shape. It sounded like the future was not very bright. Thanks for the information. So it seems no problems after all financially just don't have the tax base to pass a bond for a new school.

Correct, and the school has had about the same enrollment, give or take, as they have had for the last 30+ years. Enrollment hasn't changed much at all. Fluctuations in enrollment are normal for a school and town our size, especially when the economy fluctuates. People move in, and people move out. Jobs has more to do with it than anything else you might've heard, in my opinion. Most of the people who live here commute daily to Longview, Kilgore, or Tyler. If they're willing to commute that far to their jobs daily, what does that say about the town they live in. The town must not be that bad, huh?

Dawgs
02-10-2015, 05:56 PM
Correct, and the school has had about the same enrollment, give or take, as they have had for the last 30+ years. Enrollment hasn't changed much at all. Fluctuations in enrollment are normal for a school and town our size, especially when the economy fluctuates. People move in, and people move out. Jobs has more to do with it than anything else you might've heard, in my opinion. Most of the people who live here commute daily to Longview, Kilgore, or Tyler. If they're willing to commute that far to their jobs daily, what does that say about the town they live in. The town must not be that bad, huh?

Nothing like small town east Texas. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Aesculus gilmus
02-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Here's an unofficial confirmation that he's gone:
http://www.ketknbc.com/sports/friday-football-fever/report-jeff-traylor-leaving-gilmer-for-texas

On another note, A FEW of the structures on the GHS campus are 60 years old and there's another structure that is 50, but the rest of the square footage of the campus is 35 years old or less. I know this because most of the school buildings which currently sit there south and east of the stadium were NOT there when I graduated.

This type of distortion is one reason the FOR crowd has such a hard time. And I was in that crowd last time. Little did I know that there were WAY more "waterboys" than there were of me and people like me were caught up in the "waterboy" 60-40 deluge at the polls.

In fairness, though, the AGAINST crowd took no prisoners in that last race. This is why Coach Traylor said the other night downtown that he hoped it didn't get "personal." It was "down and dirty" last time. The people AGAINST are always going to have a huge advantage in times like these. It's a very easy bet to say this is going down in flames again in May.

poisoned10
02-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Several reports are now saying Jeff will accept the position.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

buckeyebob
02-10-2015, 08:25 PM

Our Supt, Rick Allbritton, has done a banner job of refinancing the debt which has saved a bunch...GHS is very sound financially with an excellent rating (part of the selling point for a new high school). The intermediate schools have larger grades than normal hence the talk from some that new realignment time will move us to Div 1

Celina8
02-12-2015, 06:15 AM
I think Gilmer is a great community, but one of the posters back in December did mention that the County was losing their hospital and the lack of Physicians in the area was something the County would need to address. From looking at my past DCTF issues it seems Gilmer has stayed pretty much within the 630 to 690 range of students for the past several years. What will it be in 20 years is hard to tell, it all depends upon the economics of the community and surrounding area.

Aesculus gilmus
02-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Hospitals are going under in rural areas in all the so-called "red states." It has to do with opposition to Medicaid expansion and a few other issues related to Obamacare.

It is a pretty safe prediction to make that Upshur County will never have a full-fledged hospital again. We're too close to Longview, which is a major medical center. Tyler's an even bigger one and is only 15 miles farther than L'view.

waterboy
02-12-2015, 08:15 AM
^^ Lol! Must be an Obamacare supporter. Give up all freedom for security..., yeah, that's what this country is all about. I pay my own way, and I expect others to do the same. No wonder this country is going under...

How about that 332-page monstrocity of a bill that is soon to become law giving your president's henchmen power over the internet. It's going into law in less than 2 weeks. The thing is, just like Obamacare, nobody is allowed to read it before voting on it. Can we say dictatorship?

In all fairness, BOTH parties are in on it, and it is a new "tax" on us, that will become a way to restrict our first amendment right to free speech. There are only a miniscule amount of true conservatives in our government, and therein lies the problem.

Dawgs
02-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Good article on ETSN asking is Traylor the best coach in East Texas history. Pretty impressive numbers. They said if there was a "Mount Rushmore" of East Texas coaches it would be Dennis Alexander, Joe Norman, Scott Surratt, and Jeff Traylor. Sounds pretty good to me.

44INAROW
02-12-2015, 10:38 AM
so - NOW - wonder who's going to apply for the Gilmer job.. Awful big shoes to fill.................. any names coming up yet?

Macarthur
02-12-2015, 10:41 AM
^^ Lol! Must be an Obamacare supporter. Give up all freedom for security..., yeah, that's what this country is all about. I pay my own way, and I expect others to do the same. No wonder this country is going under...

How about that 332-page monstrocity of a bill that is soon to become law giving your president's henchmen power over the internet. It's going into law in less than 2 weeks. The thing is, just like Obamacare, nobody is allowed to read it before voting on it. Can we say dictatorship?

In all fairness, BOTH parties are in on it, and it is a new "tax" on us, that will become a way to restrict our first amendment right to free speech. There are only a miniscule amount of true conservatives in our government, and therein lies the problem.

Do you have any parents or grandparents?

Aesculus gilmus
02-12-2015, 11:54 AM

You need to chill. I am not for or against anything. I am just stating the reason for rural hospital closures.

slingshot
02-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Hospitals are going under in rural areas in all the so-called "red states." It has to do with opposition to Medicaid expansion and a few other issues related to Obamacare.

It is a pretty safe prediction to make that Upshur County will never have a full-fledged hospital again. We're too close to Longview, which is a major medical center. Tyler's an even bigger one and is only 15 miles farther than L'view.Not nearly that simple--rural hospitals have been closing long before Obama and his Medicaid expansion. We are a more mobile society now and the people that can are more than willing to drive to what they perceive as better medical care in larger towns and facilities. Those that can't (elderly and poor) use the small town facilities. With declining utilization, essentially flat government program (Medicare and Medicaid) reimbursement for the last 20 years and ever increasing costs--small town hospitals are closing right and left. The bigger town facilities are growing just as fast. Sign of the times...

waterboy
02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Not nearly that simple--rural hospitals have been closing long before Obama and his Medicaid expansion. We are a more mobile society now and the people that can are more than willing to drive to what they perceive as better medical care in larger towns and facilities. Those that can't (elderly and poor) use the small town facilities. With declining utilization, essentially flat government program (Medicare and Medicaid) reimbursement for the last 20 years and ever increasing costs--small town hospitals are closing right and left. The bigger town facilities are growing just as fast. Sign of the times...

This. Funny how someone blamed it on Texas being a "red" state. In my opinion, politically speaking, there's only a miniscule difference between a blue state and a red state nowadays. Simply put, and without getting too political, I think it just boils down to our government is too big, too powerful, and wastes too much money in a beauracratic wasteland.

Dawgs
02-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Well I just hope the dentist offices don't close down in Gilmer, already plenty of toothless wonders over in Upshur county.

Come on guys lighten up a little. Both the extreme right an extreme left in this country are scoundrels IMO. We are all from small towns from the great state of Texas. Federal government doesn't have much say so over us in my experience, but that's just my experience.

So how long before Traylor gets a shot at a HC gig at a mid major University? I bet it's not long.

lostaussie
02-12-2015, 02:00 PM
So how long before Traylor gets a shot at a HC gig at a mid major University? I bet it's not long. LOL He ain't even resigned from Gilmer yet!!!

Dawgs
02-12-2015, 02:03 PM
LOL He ain't even resigned from Gilmer yet!!!

He gone...

lostaussie
02-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Y'all hope!! Lol

Dawgs
02-12-2015, 02:22 PM
Y'all hope!! Lol

Why would we hope? Surratt has had just as much success against Traylor as Traylor has had against Surratt. Surratt has the biggest win of the series in 2008 when we beat a Stump Godfrey lead team deep in the playoffs 31-28. Maybe other programs hope he is gone, but we don't care. I was looking forward to possibly getting a little revenge in 2015 for the 2014 beat down. Dawgs will be salty this season, going for number 5. Gilmer and Traylor's ride over at 3.

BTW I'm just in need of a little smack talk...don't know what to do when I don't have any football to watch. I hate this part of the year!!

waterboy
02-12-2015, 02:34 PM
Well I just hope the dentist offices don't close down in Gilmer, already plenty of toothless wonders over in Upshur county.

Come on guys lighten up a little. Both the extreme right an extreme left in this country are scoundrels IMO. We are all from small towns from the great state of Texas. Federal government doesn't have much say so over us in my experience, but that's just my experience.

So how long before Traylor gets a shot at a HC gig at a mid major University? I bet it's not long.

:D Hey! I still have my toofs, all 29 of 'em! My dentist's office is in Liberty City... The only reason most of the people over there in Panola County have teeth is because they handed 'em out for free to those who needed them. :stirpot:

waterboy
02-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Why would we hope? Surratt has had just as much success against Traylor as Traylor has had against Surratt. Surratt has the biggest win of the series in 2008 when we beat a Stump Godfrey lead team deep in the playoffs 31-28. Maybe other programs hope he is gone, but we don't care. I was looking forward to possibly getting a little revenge in 2015 for the 2014 beat down. Dawgs will be salty this season, going for number 5. Gilmer and Traylor's ride over at 3.

BTW I'm just in need of a little smack talk...don't know what to do when I don't have any football to watch. I hate this part of the year!!

I'll agree with you on the Dawgs are gonna be salty this year. We have to replace a lot of skill positions, and "might" have a new coach. It should be interesting either way. I'm glad the two teams decided to match up. Two of the best programs in the state. It don't get no better than that.

movethechain
02-12-2015, 02:42 PM

Yes, we well remember the Dwight Smith freight train from 2008, as does Celina. Whether we have JT on the sidelines this coming year or not, Carthage will be starting a wet-behind-the-ears QB and Demarco Boyd will be on him like a Rooster on a June Bug. Should be fun to watch. ;)

Aesculus gilmus
02-12-2015, 02:48 PM
"The failure of many 'red' states to adopt Medicaid expansion under the ACA is a major problem to rural hospitals. In Missouri, I spoke at length with a local legislator regarding this issue. I gave examples of how this was hurting our local community hospital. He refused to listen. He was certain that getting rid of the ACA would improve business in the State. I have seen a lot of rural hospitals go after more local operating tax support in order to keep their doors open. This is a short term fix, and not a long term solution.

"Many CAH have a very low census and high Medicare population. Some have an ADC of one or less. Under CAH Medicare reimbursement you would get 100% (less right now because of the sequester) of cost of operating the hospital. This is fine until one uninsured patient is admitted and dilutes your Medicare reimbursement by half. There are some states (Colorado for one), where CAH do not receive cost based reimbursement for Medicaid. If you have a lot of Medicaid patients using your ER for primary care, this can bankrupt the hospital."

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Rural-hospital-closures-call-action-2656915.S.5867678582620315651

An insoluble health care financing problem is that nearly half of all the working people in this country make less than $25k a year. It's probably more than half of Upshur County residents who work and make less than that. There is no system that can be devised, short of single-payer (which is what Medicaid is), that will enable a hospital to be reimbursed enough to keep its doors open while treating a large near-indigent population such as we have in this county. The question was why we do not have a hospital. It was not about one political party or the other. If Upshurites still voted for Dems as they did in the "good ol' days" of Jim Crow, they'd still be just as poor, IMO.

waterboy
02-12-2015, 03:08 PM
We know the "media" is always right... LOL! Oversimplistic explanations don't even begin to uncover the root of the problem(s). Unfortunately, there's no solution to the problem, and the unaffordable care act is a fascist/socialist "band-aid" for a gaping, open wound. All it does, in my opinion, is drive insurance costs up for those who actually pay into a broken system. My insurance premiums have almost double since the (U)ACA was enacted. Let's all just give more and more money to big government. That way they can spend it how they see fit. They have all the power to short pay anybody they want...(cough, cough)

I digress...

So, what will Jeff do?

Aesculus gilmus
02-12-2015, 03:08 PM
As I continue to hijack my own thread, I notice this link doesn't even have some recent closures in NE Texas listed on the map yet. There've been close to a half dozen in NE Texas just in the last 12 months.
http://familiesusa.org/product/medicaid-expansion-and-rural-hospital-closures

Aesculus gilmus
02-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Jeff will soon go on the payroll of The University of Texas System, where he will have EXCELLENT taxpayer-provided health insurance! :)

https://www.utexas.edu/hr/current/insurance/plans/medical.html

waterboy
02-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Jeff will soon go on the payroll of The University of Texas System, where he will have EXCELLENT taxpayer-provided health insurance! :)

https://www.utexas.edu/hr/current/insurance/plans/medical.html

Exactly, with emphasis on "taxpayer-provided health insurance".;) Even school teachers have to pay a large share of their insurance coverage. My wife's insurance has more than doubled since enactment of the (U)ACA.

buckeyebob
02-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Source: Gilmer's Traylor not offered Texas position yet
Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:42 pm |

By Jack Stallard...jstallard@news-journal.com

A source close to Gilmer High School head football coach and athletic director Jeff Traylor has told the Longview News-Journal that Traylor has not yet been offered the job as tight ends/special teams coach at the University of Texas.

That decision will be made and announced by Texas coach Charlie Strong, but the source said Traylor will accept the job if and when it is offered.

Traylor has spent 15 seasons at Gilmer, leading the Buckeyes to a 175-26 and three state championships – including the Class 4A Division II title this past season

lostaussie
02-12-2015, 05:33 PM
I don't understand how we got to where we are from starting where we did.

buckeyebob
02-12-2015, 09:31 PM
It is my understanding that it is a done deal...Strong will announce Friday AM.

Proud for him & the very best

Saggy Aggie
02-12-2015, 10:25 PM
I thought they said Traylor will announce tomorrow at 9 am?

poisoned10
02-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Traylor will not announce it, Texas will. Just saw on Twitter that he talked to the team today and was cleaning out his office.

waterboy
02-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Traylor will not announce it, Texas will. Just saw on Twitter that he talked to the team today and was cleaning out his office.

Yep, it's a done deal. I hate to see Jeff go, but I know it's an opportunity that he couldn't pass up. He helped put the Buckeye program on the map, making it into one of the most consistent winning programs in the state. I pray that his successor can build on what the started, and continue that success.

hookandladder
02-13-2015, 08:45 AM
Coach Traylor is a great hire for the Horns, between Traylor and Surratt you have two of the most solid high school coaches in East Texas and most all of Texas. Traylor will be a great recruiter also for the Horns in East Texas, Gilmer and Carthage are top notch football programs in Texas and both Coaches will be at the next level soon. Congrats and Hookem.

Buckeye1980
02-13-2015, 10:09 AM
Now official, http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/2/13/8033349/jeff-traylor-hired-texas-longhorns-tight-ends-special-teams-coach

buckeyebob
02-13-2015, 11:20 AM
http://longhorns.blog.statesman.com/2015/02/13/texas-coach-charlie-strong-hires-two-new-assistants-completing-his-staff/

http://www.news-journal.com/etvarsity/high_school/report-traylor-taking-job-with-university-of-texas/article_ebc4d31e-b391-11e4-a92b-c7862d9e4d59.html

regaleagle
02-13-2015, 05:30 PM
Congrats to Coach Traylor. I'm sure he'll land in his new position at UT all charged up and ready to go. The Gilmerite Nation should feel proud for him. Local native does good.