PDA

View Full Version : Craig Biggio elected into Baseball Hall Of Fame today

Scoop27
01-06-2015, 02:07 PM
It's official for Craig. I'm sure he's humbled and is past due to get in
http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2015/01/06/former-astros-star-craig-biggio-elected-to-hall-of-fame/#29543101=0

Roughneck93
01-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Awesome, well deserved...

MJMbrahmas10
01-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Congrats biggio

coach
01-06-2015, 02:46 PM
Overratted, clap, clap, clap-clap, clap

Rabid Cougar
01-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Nice guy and well deserved.

YTBulldogs
01-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Now name him the Astro manager.

speedbump
01-06-2015, 06:38 PM
Now name him the Astro manager.

Maybe about three more whipping boy managers down the road, but not now.

Saggy Aggie
01-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Overratted, clap, clap, clap-clap, clap

Tell us why you think he's overrated coach.

1st and goal
01-06-2015, 09:07 PM
Good deal BigGio!

Roughneck93
01-06-2015, 09:52 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/7/5/0/105545750/062807_biggio_bagwell_3000_tw_6s1owm3t.gif

coach
01-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Tell us why you think he's overrated coach.

How many times was he named MVP? Or even in the running. He was never considered one of the best in the league. Hell Roberto Alomart was WAAAYYYY better than Craig Biggio ever thought he could be and he isnt in the hof. Hell I can't remember one play that he has made that was memorable. In 20 years we will look back and say, man, i didnt know he was in the hof.

speedbump
01-07-2015, 03:24 PM
How many times was he named MVP? Or even in the running. He was never considered one of the best in the league. Hell Roberto Alomart was WAAAYYYY better than Craig Biggio ever thought he could be and he isnt in the hof. Hell I can't remember one play that he has made that was memorable. In 20 years we will look back and say, man, i didnt know he was in the hof.

An argument can certainly be made for Alomar being better.but WAAAYYYY better is ridiculous. Roberto Alomar was inducted into the HOF as a Player in 2011. Try to keep up.

coach
01-07-2015, 04:15 PM
An argument can certainly be made for Alomar being better.but WAAAYYYY better is ridiculous. Roberto Alomar was inducted into the HOF as a Player in 2011. Try to keep up.

he was. My bad. And yes, he was 10 times the player Biggio ever was.

YTBulldogs
01-07-2015, 04:25 PM

RA could spit in opponents face better, is about it. Rank his types up there with roid users.

Rabid Cougar
01-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Alomar was a Second Baseman. Biggio could play any position at a high level. Biggio also had 3,060 hits.... Alomar didn't .
The only player ever with 3000 hits, 600 doubles, 400 stolen bases, and 250 home runs.

19 years with the same club should get you in on its on merits.

coach
01-08-2015, 10:10 AM
Alomar was a Second Baseman. Biggio could play any position at a high level. Biggio also had 3,060 hits.... Alomar didn't .
The only player ever with 3000 hits, 600 doubles, 400 stolen bases, and 250 home runs.

19 years with the same club should get you in on its on merits.

The total amount of hits is overrated. Roberto's Batting average was 20 points higher than Biggio. He was a much better player all around. Roberto is probably the best defensive 2nd baseman to ever play. Like I said, we will look back 20 years from now and say, "I forgot he was in the hall". IMO, those players do not belong. Hell he wasnt even a top 50 player in his generation.

coach
01-08-2015, 10:16 AM
The baseball hall of fame voters are the worse. Half of them do not deserve a vote. there was a guy that didnt vote for one person this year. That's crap. Hell, there was a guy who didnt think Pedro Martinez wasnt a hall of famer. There are guys that will never vote a guy in the first time he is on the ballot because they simply do not think anyone deserves that. Curt Schilling was 10x better than Craig Biggio and its a shame that he isnt in. The same goes for Barry Bonds who was the most intimidating hitter to EVER play the game. And Pete Rose not being in the hall is a joke. I am hearing that Pudge might not get in due to simply suspicion of roids. Yet, people thinks Bagwell will get in next year.? LOL. So the greatest all around catcher ever wont get in but Jeff Bagwell who can only hit for power is a HOFER? Freakin Curt Schilling, one of the greatest WORLD SERIES pitchers ever is truggling to get votes but an above average 2nd baseman who barely sniffed the playoffs gets in. Once again Major League Baseball has embarrassed themselves.

speedbump
01-08-2015, 11:48 AM
The total amount of hits is overrated. Roberto's Batting average was 20 points higher than Biggio. He was a much better player all around. Roberto is probably the best defensive 2nd baseman to ever play. Like I said, we will look back 20 years from now and say, "I forgot he was in the hall". IMO, those players do not belong. Hell he wasnt even a top 50 player in his generation.

It only took you three years to forget that Alomar was in the HOF. What does that tell you? LOL

OldBison75
01-08-2015, 01:14 PM
All I can say is that Craig Biggio was not only a great player on the field, he was a great role model off the field. As for the comparison with Alomar, Biggio had a higher fielding percentage and played three positions. He also was willing to do whatever it took to contribute to the team, including moving to other positions. stealing bases regularly, and taking the hit by pitch. Biggio played 20 years for one team and was never a threat to jump ship for more money and never caused controversy on the field. As for the argument that Biggio was never considered for MVP, check your stats. He was in the voting 6times during his career and that is only one time less than Alomar. Alomar spent many years on teams that were much better than the Astros and except for batting average was about equal to Biggio statistically.

I agree that the voting system needs to be changed and there are deserving players that are not in the HOF and some that don't deserve to be there that are. However, if you look at the measurable career stats and the value of the player to the team and league he was in, Biggio deserved the votes.

coach
01-08-2015, 10:23 PM
It only took you three years to forget that Alomar was in the HOF. What does that tell you? LOL

lol i knew he was I just had a brain fart.

buff4ever
01-09-2015, 09:33 AM
You are wrong on this one coach. Biggio played baseball for love of the game, and was good at it, no matter where he had to play it. He wasn't selfish, he didn't chase more money, he didn't do things to build stats; the stats were built while he was trying to help the Astros win. You are going to hold it against biggio that he stuck with a team that seldom made the playoffs? How does that discredit him for the way he played the game?

You missed this one, that is all I can say. There are a lot of HOMER Astros on here maybe, but we aren't wrong on this one, you are. Biggio was respected by his peers for the way he played the game, and played it well.

coach
01-09-2015, 10:34 AM
There are a TON of guys who played it for the love of the game and didn't chase money and blah, blah, blah. He is a good player. He had a very very good career. But this is where people are missing it. We are talking about the Hall of Fame. The best of the best. He isnt one of those. All of those qualities you mentioned are great. And if I have a son, Craig would be on a short list of Athletes that I would want him to idolize. However, that doesn't make you a HOFER. Hell That paragraph just explained Rusty Greer's career to a T and he is by no means a HOFER. Hell barely an allstar. I am not trying to take anything away from a good baseball player. I just don't see him as a HOFER. I can name 10 better 2nd basemans than him. And I never held it against him for staying an Astro his entire career.

speedbump
01-09-2015, 12:00 PM
There are a TON of guys who played it for the love of the game and didn't chase money and blah, blah, blah. He is a good player. He had a very very good career. But this is where people are missing it. We are talking about the Hall of Fame. The best of the best. He isnt one of those. All of those qualities you mentioned are great. And if I have a son, Craig would be on a short list of Athletes that I would want him to idolize. However, that doesn't make you a HOFER. Hell That paragraph just explained Rusty Greer's career to a T and he is by no means a HOFER. Hell barely an allstar. I am not trying to take anything away from a good baseball player. I just don't see him as a HOFER. I can name 10 better 2nd basemans than him. And I never held it against him for staying an Astro his entire career.

You obviously think that the HOF is nothing more than an all time all star team,based only on numbers. Kids these days just don't get it.

coach
01-09-2015, 01:11 PM
You obviously think that the HOF is nothing more than an all time all star team,based only on numbers. Kids these days just don't get it.

No I dont. Numbers and production. Sorry that I dont want a sport I love to have a watered down HOF. Yall don't get it is only for the greatest of all time. Biggio doesnt fall into that category.

OldBison75
01-09-2015, 08:25 PM
I just went through the stats for the Hall of Fame members and found that of the modern position players there are over 40 that don't have the stats that Biggio has and none earned the 3000 hit, 600 doubles, 400 stolen bases, and 250 home run combination. He was also the only one that played three positions as a regular everyday position during his career. As Nolan Ryan said today on Biggio: " If there was ever a player that deserved to be in the Hall of Fame for his actions, dependability, performance and dedication to the game, Craig Biggio is at the top of the list of players I played with and against." Coach, the Hall is already watered down with players that are not even the best of their era. Of the second basemen in the hall, Biggio would have statistics better than all but two inducted since 1990. That's good enough for me.

Wonkas_Willy
01-10-2015, 12:20 AM
Biggio was a picee of C R A P ....Shoulda never been let in