Macarthur
01-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Well, gee, that took a different turn. :smoker:

regaleagle
01-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Just still venting Mac, haha.

Roughneck93
01-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, but I think Garrett should have called time out on 3rd and 2. He should have told the OC we are going to run the ball and we have two downs to get a first down. We have the leading rusher in the NFL and one of the best lines, so WE ARE GOING TO RUN THE BALL. No audible pass plays period. If we had got the first down, there is no doubt in my mind that we would have scored.

The NFL has became to subjective with too many rules. I like the OLD NFL when real men played and hurting your opponent was part of the game.

Agreed!

Run the ball!

regaleagle
01-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Yep....what are the real odds for that 4th down call to be converted....really. Better to have just run for the first. Lots for the Cowboys Brass to chew on this offseason.

Macarthur
01-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Yep....what are the real odds for that 4th down call to be converted....really. Better to have just run for the first. Lots for the Cowboys Brass to chew on this offseason.

Well, Romo has been completing about 70% of his passes and did on that one. On 4th and 2 I don't have much of a problem with the pass. What I have an issue with is not running it on 3rd down. 4th and 2 is a really long way on a running play.

As you can see from the pic, You have a DB coming free on the blitz. There's not time to go to your second read. When a team is in cover 0, your first read is to go to the best WR in the league. Period. Sure, Beasley is open, but again, it's not easy to say the 2nd read is open when you have a free rusher.

Farmersfan
01-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Now here we are on this site discussing what other aspects of the game caused the Cowboys loss, when in reality the one play that actually changed the outcome is swept under the carpet. Coulda shoulda woulda would not be in today's conversation EXCEPT for the miscall by the booth on the Dez catch. The more I think about what really took place yesterday on that play in Green Bay, the more disdain I have for today's NFL. Proof in the pudding that we have idiots in control....just like we do in the upper echelons of our government. Somewhere along the way it was decided by those in power that an agenda should be followed, and those individuals convinced the masses that their plans would be an improvement. Hahaha.....like fools we gave our consent with little opposition and now you see the "improvement". How's life been treating you lately, huh? Making plenty of money? Do you feel safe? How about security for you and your family? How about your prospects for a bright future? What's that savings account look like? See what I mean? What's this to do with the NFL and football? If you cannot see the parallels then never mind....you're just a sheeple.

I think we are seeing the result of 100 years of evolution of the NFL Eagle. Those rules were changed after the Calvin Johnson catch when he was in the air, caught the ball and had it knocked out when he came down. But your assessment of the NFL and how it reflects society as a whole is kind of "Old Man-like" and doesn't sound very well informed! Every generation had old men that talked like you and proclaimed doom and gloom. Yes, even 100 years ago the old people hated the world the young people were creating. It's called nostalgia. The rules of a society are constantly being adjusted to accommodate the changing social and cultural mindset of most of the people and just because YOU don't agree with the changes doesn't mean the society is falling apart. Do you remember how horrible the younger generation was in the 60's? Do you remember how the world couldn't survive Rock and Roll music? Or Disco music? then Hip Hop music? Sagging pants? Emo? Punk? The world has gone to Satan probably 1000 different times yet we are still here and it's a great place to live.....

waterboy
01-12-2015, 03:40 PM
I haven't commented since the game until now, but I just didn't want emotion of the get the better of me. There's no way around it. The Cowboys got screwed. That's the way it goes, though, and it is what it is. The rule they "supposedly" used was taken completely out of context because it did NOT apply it to this catch. It won't change anything this year, but it's obvious the "rule" they used wasn't valid, in my opinion. It's obvious to everybody in the real world that Dez made that catch, made a football move by taking 3 steps WITH possession before the ground caused the fumble. It never should've have came down to that particular play, in my opinion. They shouldn't have put the game in the refs hands to begin with. There's absolutely NO reason to have a replay booth if they can't even get the call right from the booth. After all, that was the reason they brought the replay booth into the game to begin with. A "catch" in the first half where the Packer receiver trapped the ball that wasn't overturned. How many plays does the booth have to get WRONG before they change? Rule? Who care about rules? It certainly ain't the refs in the NFL.

Macarthur
01-12-2015, 03:41 PM
ANother huge moment in the game! Right after Cowboys score a TD....This was the fumbled kickoff.

Farmersfan
01-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Well, Romo has been completing about 70% of his passes and did on that one. On 4th and 2 I don't have much of a problem with the pass. What I have an issue with is not running it on 3rd down. 4th and 2 is a really long way on a running play.

As you can see from the pic, You have a DB coming free on the blitz. There's not time to go to your second read. When a team is in cover 0, your first read is to go to the best WR in the league. Period. Sure, Beasley is open, but again, it's not easy to say the 2nd read is open when you have a free rusher.

The point is in that situation the short man HAS to be the 1st opinion. Not second!

Farmersfan
01-12-2015, 03:48 PM
ANother huge moment in the game! Right after Cowboys score a TD....This was the fumbled kickoff.

I have often wondered why they allow others to pile on when there is a fumble! I can't for the life of me understand why they allow players to dive on the pile and start digging for the ball. Seems to me when the whistle blows all players must stop doing what they are doing. The fighting for the ball has to stop at the whistle. no other play in the game is allowed to continue after the whistle.

waterboy
01-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Wasted opportunities, missed tackles, fumbles, suspect play calling, and bad calls from the refs plagued the Cowboys all day, yet they still could've won this game. The defense didn't get it done in the second half or we wouldn't even be worried about the catch that wasn't a catch (according to the NFL's finest in the booth). They couldn't get stops defensively when the chips were down. I don't think Green Bay will be able to play the Seahawks as well as the Cowboys would have. We'll never know that for sure, though. The Cowboys are a couple of impact defensive players away from a SB, in my opinion.

Emerson1
01-12-2015, 04:38 PM
I have often wondered why they allow others to pile on when there is a fumble! I can't for the life of me understand why they allow players to dive on the pile and start digging for the ball. Seems to me when the whistle blows all players must stop doing what they are doing. The fighting for the ball has to stop at the whistle. no other play in the game is allowed to continue after the whistle.

I've thought this too. I get players at the bottom fighting, but the guys coming over to rip other players off I am surprised they haven't stopped.

Farmersfan
01-12-2015, 04:43 PM
I've thought this too. I get players at the bottom fighting, but the guys coming over to rip other players off I am surprised they haven't stopped.

Yep! and the players that pile on after the whistle. Why isn't that stopped? It seems if there is a fumble it becomes a free for all with the little helpless refs running around trying to push people away. Players all over the place trying to rip other players off the pile. It's madness! Madness I say!!!! :speech:

Wonkas_Willy
01-12-2015, 05:14 PM
I love the chaos , reminds me of old school football... AND IT WAS A CATCH

Macarthur
01-12-2015, 05:26 PM
The point is in that situation the short man HAS to be the 1st opinion. Not second!

I think it's easy to say this in hindsight, but you're basically picking Beasley over Dez Bryant. Romo went to Dez all season long with zero coverage and they had record setting years. I understand it's 4th and 2, but I just don't think the coaches are going to say Beasley is your first read over Dez.

Romo made a perfect pass and Dez made an incredible catch.

bobcat1
01-12-2015, 07:27 PM
Hindsight is 20/20, but I think Garrett should have called time out on 3rd and 2. He should have told the OC we are going to run the ball and we have two downs to get a first down. We have the leading rusher in the NFL and one of the best lines, so WE ARE GOING TO RUN THE BALL. No audible pass plays period. If we had got the first down, there is no doubt in my mind that we would have scored.

The NFL has became to subjective with too many rules. I like the OLD NFL when real men played and hurting your opponent was part of the game.Ding Ding Ding! We have a Chicken Dinner Winner!

regaleagle
01-12-2015, 08:12 PM
I think we are seeing the result of 100 years of evolution of the NFL Eagle. Those rules were changed after the Calvin Johnson catch when he was in the air, caught the ball and had it knocked out when he came down. But your assessment of the NFL and how it reflects society as a whole is kind of "Old Man-like" and doesn't sound very well informed! Every generation had old men that talked like you and proclaimed doom and gloom. Yes, even 100 years ago the old people hated the world the young people were creating. It's called nostalgia. The rules of a society are constantly being adjusted to accommodate the changing social and cultural mindset of most of the people and just because YOU don't agree with the changes doesn't mean the society is falling apart. Do you remember how horrible the younger generation was in the 60's? Do you remember how the world couldn't survive Rock and Roll music? Or Disco music? then Hip Hop music? Sagging pants? Emo? Punk? The world has gone to Satan probably 1000 different times yet we are still here and it's a great place to live.....

Dont' age me too much there FF.....the early 70's was my high school days and the late 70's my college days. I'll see check back with you in 5 yrs and get your take on things then.

Slyone
01-12-2015, 11:19 PM
Quick thought. Sorry I have not read the whole thread if this was brought up. It was a catch. However, if it stood, there were still 3 and a half minutes left. Do you think Dallas could have stopped Green Bay. They should have had the chance( I am not a Cowboy fan by the way).

Macarthur
01-13-2015, 09:08 AM
Quick thought. Sorry I have not read the whole thread if this was brought up. It was a catch. However, if it stood, there were still 3 and a half minutes left. Do you think Dallas could have stopped Green Bay. They should have had the chance( I am not a Cowboy fan by the way).

If I had to bet money, I would bet that Rodgers would have gotten them into position to at least kick a FG. But you never know. It just sucks that the opportunity to win was taken away. At least with the above scenario, the players decide the game and not the officials.

pancho villa
01-13-2015, 09:18 AM
Are all you Cowgirls folk still crying? Grow up!

Macarthur
01-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Are all you Cowgirls folk still crying? Grow up!

Coming onto another teams thread to show your ass and tell them to grow up. Yep. That's the true sign of maturity. Tool

Wonkas_Willy
01-13-2015, 10:15 AM
I don't think Garrett even realized until it was late that they reversed the call to no first down and instead of spending time getting 2 minute personnel off the field and short yardage personnel on he spent that time on trying to get the time out used back imho.

pancho villa
01-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Coming onto another teams thread to show your ass and tell them to grow up. Yep. That's the true sign of maturity. Tool

Get a life son!

Macarthur
01-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Get a life son!

I'm not your son, jackass.

pancho villa
01-13-2015, 11:49 AM
I'm not your son, jackass.

This loss by the boys has your panties in a wad son.

Saggy Aggie
01-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Lol....

Farmersfan
01-13-2015, 02:41 PM
I think it's easy to say this in hindsight, but you're basically picking Beasley over Dez Bryant. Romo went to Dez all season long with zero coverage and they had record setting years. I understand it's 4th and 2, but I just don't think the coaches are going to say Beasley is your first read over Dez.

Romo made a perfect pass and Dez made an incredible catch.

Question Mac! Which play has the bigger chance of success? A 3 yard crossing pattern by Beasley or a 30 yard throw it up jump ball to Dez? The fact that it was caught doesn't mean it was the safer play. That pass with that tight of coverage is incomplete 99 times out of 100 and you know it. And don't confuse the back shoulder throw to the endzone that Dez catches a lot with this one.

Macarthur
01-13-2015, 03:41 PM
This loss by the boys has your panties in a wad son.

im not your son. You're such a pus

Macarthur
01-13-2015, 03:59 PM
Question Mac! Which play has the bigger chance of success? A 3 yard crossing pattern by Beasley or a 30 yard throw it up jump ball to Dez? The fact that it was caught doesn't mean it was the safer play.

The pass to Beasley is a safer play.

That pass with that tight of coverage is incomplete 99 times out of 100 and you know it. And don't confuse the back shoulder throw to the endzone that Dez catches a lot with this one.

It is not incompete 99 out of 100 times. That is flat out wrong. They have made that play repeatedly this year. I would say they are somewhere around 50% on the 9 route. It is not a jump ball, BTW.

One more thing to consider. What that pic doesn't show is that before the ball is snapped, that cb that has a free run at romo is lined up over Beasley. So romo does not know that Beasley is getting a free release. What he sees is cover 0, his first read is dez and he doesn't have time to go to read #2. And I'm not even sure Beasley would have been his second read.

I can guarantee you that romo is coached like crazy that one on one w dez in cover zero he is going to dez 99 out of 100 times, as you like to say. It is a cheap second guess to claim otherwise.

Saggy Aggie
01-13-2015, 06:12 PM

Aw snap

pancho villa
01-14-2015, 08:56 AM

Thank you son.

pancho villa
01-14-2015, 08:58 AM
The pass to Beasley is a safer play.

It is not incompete 99 out of 100 times. That is flat out wrong. They have made that play repeatedly this year. I would say they are somewhere around 50% on the 9 route. It is not a jump ball, BTW.

One more thing to consider. What that pic doesn't show is that before the ball is snapped, that cb that has a free run at romo is lined up over Beasley. So romo does not know that Beasley is getting a free release. What he sees is cover 0, his first read is dez and he doesn't have time to go to read #2. And I'm not even sure Beasley would have been his second read.

I can guarantee you that romo is coached like crazy that one on one w dez in cover zero he is going to dez 99 out of 100 times, as you like to say. It is a cheap second guess to claim otherwise.

You are talking out of your A$$

GrTigers6
01-14-2015, 09:18 AM
I would have rather they ran a play that got the first down to run more clock off but I was also estatic when he made the catch and thought that works too. Until... We can all second guess after the fact. But it does no good. The play worked as called we just didn't get the benefit of a stupid rule.

Macarthur
01-14-2015, 09:52 AM
You are talking out of your A$$

Do you entertain yourself with this shtick?

pancho villa
01-14-2015, 10:52 AM
Do you entertain yourself with this shtick?

I do son

Eagle 1
01-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Not that it matters now, but evidently the refs didn't adjust the game clock after the pass was ruled incomplete.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/12/7531011/dez-bryant-challenge-review-gene-steratore-clock

coach
01-15-2015, 10:44 AM
Not that it matters now, but evidently the refs didn't adjust the game clock after the pass was ruled incomplete.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/12/7531011/dez-bryant-challenge-review-gene-steratore-clock

I am not saying this because the Cowboys lost, but officiating throughout sports is getting worse. And I am tired of all the excuses for it. When a 17 year old kid makes a mistake we crucify him, however when a official makes on you always hear some lame excuse that 'he can't see them all'. Well crap we expect our athletes to make every play, but the officials get a pass? WTH is that all about. It is time to hold the officials accountable. When they make a bad call then don't reward them by giving them a playoff game the next week. I thought the Green Bay game was officiated pretty good, but that Detroit game was AWFUL. They missed at least 10 calls. 10 calls in a playoff game is unacceptable. What happenes if a linemen misses 10 blocking assignments in a game? Dude aint playing the following week. It is ruining our game and the officials still get a pass.

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2015, 10:53 AM
I am not saying this because the Cowboys lost, but officiating throughout sports is getting worse. And I am tired of all the excuses for it. When a 17 year old kid makes a mistake we crucify him, however when a official makes on you always hear some lame excuse that 'he can't see them all'. Well crap we expect our athletes to make every play, but the officials get a pass? WTH is that all about. It is time to hold the officials accountable. When they make a bad call then don't reward them by giving them a playoff game the next week. I thought the Green Bay game was officiated pretty good, but that Detroit game was AWFUL. They missed at least 10 calls. 10 calls in a playoff game is unacceptable. What happenes if a linemen misses 10 blocking assignments in a game? Dude aint playing the following week. It is ruining our game and the officials still get a pass.

And NFL Officials can not claim they are not paid enough. It is time to make them full time officials only. Not guys who M-Th are lawyers and such but get paid 100,000 for a weekend of work. Have them be just like teams..place to go work out, watch game film and do simulated practices.

coach
01-15-2015, 10:59 AM
And NFL Officials can not claim they are not paid enough. It is time to make them full time officials only. Not guys who M-Th are lawyers and such but get paid 100,000 for a weekend of work. Have them be just like teams..place to go work out, watch game film and do simulated practices.

Exactly. Not getting paid enough argument is laughable.

GrTigers6
01-15-2015, 11:26 AM
I am not saying this because the Cowboys lost, but officiating throughout sports is getting worse. And I am tired of all the excuses for it. When a 17 year old kid makes a mistake we crucify him, however when a official makes on you always hear some lame excuse that 'he can't see them all'. Well crap we expect our athletes to make every play, but the officials get a pass? WTH is that all about. It is time to hold the officials accountable. When they make a bad call then don't reward them by giving them a playoff game the next week. I thought the Green Bay game was officiated pretty good, but that Detroit game was AWFUL. They missed at least 10 calls. 10 calls in a playoff game is unacceptable. What happenes if a linemen misses 10 blocking assignments in a game? Dude aint playing the following week. It is ruining our game and the officials still get a pass.If every player did their job on every play you would score every time you ran a play. There are many factors that cause an official to miss a call or not see a penalty. In high school I believe the top reason is only having 5 officials for 22 kids. With seven officials you have an official for each eligible receiver. Also we are part timers so juggling a 40 hour week with calling games and still having time to read a rulebook can be very difficult. I sometimes wish I had a photographic memory because that's what it would take to know the rule book cover to cover. Another issue is some people just do it for the money which is hilarious at the high school level. Not much to speak of. Another reason for missing calls is having a coach constantly screaming in your ear. I don't have a problem with a coach that has a concern and voices that concern but when I hear you I'm done with that conversation. We need to move on and let me concentrate on the game. Yes we miss calls just like players miss assignments or coaches make the wrong play call in a situation. We are only human like the rest of us.
One more thing you have to remember is that officials don't get a break in that 48-60 minutes. We cant raise our hand and ask for a sub. It takes a lot out of a person to concentrate every play for that long. but the majority of us do not for the money but the love of the game and being on the field on a Friday night in Texas. Its a wonderful experience that I hope I can continue until I can no longer walk/run

coach
01-15-2015, 11:32 AM
If every player did their job on every play you would score every time you ran a play. There are many factors that cause an official to miss a call or not see a penalty. In high school I believe the top reason is only having 5 officials for 22 kids. With seven officials you have an official for each eligible receiver. Also we are part timers so juggling a 40 hour week with calling games and still having time to read a rulebook can be very difficult. I sometimes wish I had a photographic memory because that's what it would take to know the rule book cover to cover. Another issue is some people just do it for the money which is hilarious at the high school level. Not much to speak of. Another reason for missing calls is having a coach constantly screaming in your ear. I don't have a problem with a coach that has a concern and voices that concern but when I hear you I'm done with that conversation. We need to move on and let me concentrate on the game. Yes we miss calls just like players miss assignments or coaches make the wrong play call in a situation. We are only human like the rest of us.
One more thing you have to remember is that officials don't get a break in that 48-60 minutes. We cant raise our hand and ask for a sub. It takes a lot out of a person to concentrate every play for that long. but the majority of us do not for the money but the love of the game and being on the field on a Friday night in Texas. Its a wonderful experience that I hope I can continue until I can no longer walk/run

All I read is EXCUSES. If an athlete ever came to me with all these excuses why he couldn't perform then he would be sitting by me the rest of the game. If I went to my boss and said, well we didn't win because I didn't get a break and the other team ran to many plays so we couldn't prepare for it in practice, then he would fire me on the spot. Stop making excuses for yourself and other officials because you sound childish. I am not saying they need to be perfect, but be more consistent, and if you can't do that then find another job.

GrTigers6
01-15-2015, 12:00 PM
All I read is EXCUSES. If an athlete ever came to me with all these excuses why he couldn't perform then he would be sitting by me the rest of the game. If I went to my boss and said, well we didn't win because I didn't get a break and the other team ran to many plays so we couldn't prepare for it in practice, then he would fire me on the spot. Stop making excuses for yourself and other officials because you sound childish. I am not saying they need to be perfect, but be more consistent, and if you can't do that then find another job.Uh yeah you really are. You say we cant miss something. That is being perfect. And im not making excuses at all Im making you realize there are other factors besides just you standing on the sidelines screaming at us:D

GrTigers6
01-15-2015, 12:04 PM
One other thing. when you show me a coach who knows all the rules then maybe he can legitimately criticize officials for not knowing all of them.

coach
01-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Uh yeah you really are. You say we cant miss something. That is being perfect. And im not making excuses at all Im making you realize there are other factors besides just you standing on the sidelines screaming at us:D

Not all coaches scream. I certainly dont.

coach
01-15-2015, 12:59 PM
One other thing. when you show me a coach who knows all the rules then maybe he can legitimately criticize officials for not knowing all of them.

Every coach knows every rule. That's why we are always in your ear. lol

GrTigers6
01-15-2015, 01:36 PM
Every coach knows every rule. That's why we are always in your ear. lol
If that was the case our jobs would be a whole lot easier. LOL But that is where the majority of the problem lies is the complexity/ contradictoriness of the rule book. You would think it could be simplified to some degree and make it easier to comprehend but every time they rewrite a rule it just gets more complicated

coach
01-15-2015, 01:47 PM
If that was the case our jobs would be a whole lot easier. LOL But that is where the majority of the problem lies is the complexity/ contradictoriness of the rule book. You would think it could be simplified to some degree and make it easier to comprehend but every time they rewrite a rule it just gets more complicated

I can agree wit that. The rules we have in all sports makes it very complicated for the officials. I guess i am more complaining that the refs get off the hook from the higher ups. You always hear how "great' they do when in realitty a lot of them are terrible. i.e. the detroit game

GrTigers6
01-15-2015, 02:27 PM
I can agree wit that. The rules we have in all sports makes it very complicated for the officials. I guess i am more complaining that the refs get off the hook from the higher ups. You always hear how "great' they do when in realitty a lot of them are terrible. i.e. the detroit game
I agree. if you remember an officials name its usually not a good thing. That means he screwed up so bad that you want to remember it so you can scratch him lol

coach
01-15-2015, 02:46 PM
I agree. if you remember an officials name its usually not a good thing. That means he screwed up so bad that you want to remember it so you can scratch him lol

Exactly lol

waterboy
01-15-2015, 03:22 PM

I don't care who you were rooting for in the Lions / Cowboys game, or the Packers / Cowboys game, the officiating was most definitely not up to par with the standards of NFL football. These guys are actually PAID a LOT of money, and they still make bogus / bonehead / phantom calls, AND they have the benefit of instant replay when a play is reviewable. There's absolutely NO EXCUSE for making a bad call on a reviewable play when you have all the correct angles. Yes, they get a lot of calls right, but the percentage of bad calls is on the rise and needs to be fixed. The rules in the NFL have gotten to the point that they are too often misinterpreted, and that takes away from the game itself.

In the Lions game, the PI that everybody has been harping on could've just as easily been offensive PI. Nobody in the media seems to care about that.

Dez made that catch, even by NFL rules. There's NO excuse for that catch being overturned, especially when they actually got to review it. The media doesn't even mention it, much less harp on it like they did when the flag was picked up in the Detroit game.

Eagle 1
01-15-2015, 09:30 PM

I would propose that 99% of the head coaches that have won a state title do know all the rules. Most are pretty smart cookies that have been around the block a few times. Like I said, the game has become to subjective with all the rules, especially at the NFL level.

I agree with TXbroadcaster, the NFL officials should have only ONE job. I think back in the old days when they started hiring NFL officials who were mostly white collar professionals in their career it worked ok. Now days any fool can have a "title or degree" in just about any career field imaginable.

I also think instant replay needs to go. At first it seemed like a good ideal, but now when a play is reviewed I think it is rushed by the media to make a call to hastily because more air time on tv equals more $$$$$$. Did anybody notice that in every NFL game this year, each tv affiliate that was airing the game had their own personal "official" back in the "review booth" in Los Angeles who always agree with what ever the NFL ruled on the field? LOL....

NFL stands for Not For Long....if they keep fixing games like they did on Sunday. The officials in that game called some ticky tacky crap on both teams IMO. Ironically, the one official who signaled Dez down at the 1 yard line did get the play right. He was the closest to the play, and it certainly wasn't some fool sitting in the booth.