PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M hiring John Chavis as DC

Saggy Aggie
12-31-2014, 02:43 PM
Bleacher report says so....

Daylon mack already scheduling a new visit to A&M and canceling lsu visit?

Rabid Cougar
12-31-2014, 02:57 PM
Also 4 Star DT commit to Alabama wavering.

New Taiton
12-31-2014, 04:12 PM
Definition of splash hire. This is a homerun for Texas A&M and kudos goes to Coach Sumlin and our administration for keeping this thing under wraps for so long. Under no circumstances did I think John Chavis would be our DC one month ago - I wouldn't have even guessed he was on the list of potential candidates. One of the few times I can remember that a name out of left field being a good thing.

This move shows A&M commitment to succeeding on the football field.

YTBulldogs
12-31-2014, 04:17 PM
Is he a high school coach? Never heard of him. He replacing Coach Richardson that had issues in last game?

Saggy Aggie
12-31-2014, 04:59 PM
Is he a high school coach? Never heard of him. He replacing Coach Richardson that had issues in last game?

LOL....

Bitter

YTBulldogs
12-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Hopefully Mack see's what he can have next several years by going to TCU, National Championship's. I do agree, LSU out of mix with Chavis departing Baton Rouge.

Saggy Aggie
12-31-2014, 06:22 PM
Hopefully Mack see's what he can have next several years by going to TCU, National Championship's. I do agree, LSU out of mix with Chavis departing Baton Rouge.

Is A&M not in the mix?

YTBulldogs
12-31-2014, 07:03 PM
Is A&M not in the mix?

Of course they are, again. I think this is where Chavis went to from LSU wasn't it? I hear he has a re-schedule visit for the 23rd already at A&M.

1st and goal
01-01-2015, 05:40 PM
I can only think this is what has our resident LSU fans so chippy. (This and LSU's bowl loss to ND)

Great pickup for the Ags.

Sorry to see Aggie RB Trey Williams opt for the NFL draft. I think he has the talent, and he's relatively fresh, (meaning un injured). He could make an impact somewhere, given the chance.

Weebe
01-02-2015, 08:51 AM
Trey Williams won't get drafted.

1st and goal
01-02-2015, 09:21 AM
Trey Williams won't get drafted.

I think he will, but it will be late in the draft. If he doesn't, he might end up being one of those guys pulled out of Home Depot on a need, and make a big splash.

caleb_mccaig
01-02-2015, 11:15 AM
There's always someone who is willing to spend more money and this is a perfect example. I don't blame him for leaving for money, but he'll regret it. His defensive scheme is built over TOP by the offense, something that A&M will never succeed at while Sumlin is the coach. LSU will be fine, if A&M is really happy about that performance the Chavis D put up in the bowl game then you guys are excited about nothing. LSU's defense's are ultimately always top 5 because of the players, not the coach.

Saggy Aggie
01-02-2015, 11:18 AM
There's always someone who is willing to spend more money and this is a perfect example. I don't blame him for leaving for money, but he'll regret it. His defensive scheme is built over TOP by the offense, something that A&M will never succeed at while Sumlin is the coach. LSU will be fine, if A&M is really happy about that performance the Chavis D put up in the bowl game then you guys are excited about nothing. LSU's defense's are ultimately always top 5 because of the players, not the coach.

Well, pretty sure chavis can't do any worse than Snyder.

Also, the addition of chavis helps with the whole getting good players thing...

New Taiton
01-02-2015, 11:29 AM
LSU will be fine, if A&M is really happy about that performance the Chavis D put up in the bowl game then you guys are excited about nothing.

Since we can all agree that one game defines a career, then we can agree that we wouldn't take Saban either after last night or last yea against Texas. Right?

New Taiton
01-02-2015, 11:31 AM
LSU's defense's are ultimately always top 5 because of the players, not the coach.

And games are won because of the players, not the coach. And players make the plays, not the coach, etc. etc. etc.

A&M has some very good, young defensive talent. We're slated to have a very good 2015 defensive recruiting haul. We will be ok.

Rabid Cougar
01-02-2015, 01:46 PM
And games are won because of the players, not the coach. And players make the plays, not the coach, etc. etc. etc.

A&M has some very good, young defensive talent. We're slated to have a very good 2015 defensive recruiting haul. We will be ok.

Ohio State beat Alabama because of the coach.

Michigan State Beat Baylor because of the coaching/play calling.

YTBulldogs
01-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Michigan State Beat Baylor because of the coaching/play calling.

Really? Coach told that kicker to kick the ball 5 yards high? Or, the coach told that Bear's WR to face mask the opponent as he was about to score, to put the game out of reach? I think the players have some of the blame to take too. Coach was "coach of the year" when they threw the pass to fat boy #80 though, huh?

caleb_mccaig
01-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Well, pretty sure chavis can't do any worse than Snyder.

Also, the addition of chavis helps with the whole getting good players thing...

Lol yea, not hard to out perform Snyder!

Chavis wasn't LSU's big recruiter on the defensive side of the ball. The DL and Secondary coaches were. Apparently it isn't clear if they are going with Chief or not. They both signed big extensions before he left.

New Taiton
01-05-2015, 02:19 PM
Chavis wasn't LSU's big recruiter on the defensive side of the ball. The DL and Secondary coaches were. Apparently it isn't clear if they are going with Chief or not. They both signed big extensions before he left.

Most DC's don't hit the recruiting trail - they'll host a kid on campus and use and in-home, but they're not attending practices, etc. Coach Chavis won't be having to do that at A&M as our position coaches are the main recruiters like at LSU.

Rabid Cougar
01-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Really? Coach told that kicker to kick the ball 5 yards high? Or, the coach told that Bear's WR to face mask the opponent as he was about to score, to put the game out of reach? I think the players have some of the blame to take too. Coach was "coach of the year" when they threw the pass to fat boy #80 though, huh?

You blow/overcome a 21 point lead... yea coach has something to do with it. Baylor OC didn't even try to run the ball/clock with the lead.

Baylor 4th Qtr Drives
Game Clock 11:18 TOP- 2:03 Start BAY 43 No. of Plays - 6 Yards Gained -18 Downs

Game Clock 4:55 TOP- 3:05 Start BAY 25 No. Plays- 10 Yards Gained - 48 Missed FG

Game Clock :17 TOP -:15 Start BAY 25 No. Plays - 3 Yards Gained - -3 Interception

MSU 4th Qtr Drives
4 Possession 3 TDs and One INT
The dagger was 8 Plays 81 yards in 48 seconds. Very Bayloresque.

hookandladder
01-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Good for ATM, now supposedly they have the coach and players to have a great defense. It's put up or shut up time for Sumlin, no more excuses. Lol

New Taiton
01-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Good for ATM, now supposedly they have the coach and players to have a great defense. It's put up or shut up time for Sumlin, no more excuses. Lol

Correct. The other key is to keep our attrition to the bare minimum.

Quick question hook -

The elephant in the room for Texas is their offense. How has Coach Strong addressed that concern? Lol?

hookandladder
01-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Correct. The other key is to keep our attrition to the bare minimum.

Quick question hook -

The elephant in the room for Texas is their offense. How has Coach Strong addressed that concern? Lol?

My son said we got that cover, Hookem.

Saggy Aggie
01-05-2015, 07:52 PM

How'd they do that?

hookandladder
01-05-2015, 10:24 PM
How'd they do that?

Hide and watch, chump. Lol

Saggy Aggie
01-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Hide and watch, chump. Lol

Is it physically possible for you to answer a legitimate question intelligently and without trying to be a prick?

Asking for a friend.

hookandladder
01-06-2015, 12:33 AM
Is it physically possible for you to answer a legitimate question intelligently and without trying to be a prick?

Asking for a friend.

Not from a punk ass like yourself, go find another thread. Loser aggy saggy.

Saggy Aggie
01-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Not from a punk ass like yourself, go find another thread. Loser aggy saggy.

This is an A&M thread jackass

New Taiton
01-06-2015, 09:46 AM

So then, no excuses...right?

Is Shawn Watson still the OC?

Rabid Cougar
01-06-2015, 11:47 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself.

1st and goal
01-06-2015, 08:50 PM

They still don't have the secondary talent IMO unless they get some great recruits. You can only coach so much.

But if AJ Hilliard comes back healthy, and gives us another strong pass rush, maybe the D backs won't have to be 5 stars.

hookandladder
01-06-2015, 09:16 PM
They still don't have the secondary talent IMO unless they get some great recruits. You can only coach so much.

But if AJ Hilliard comes back healthy, and gives us another strong pass rush, maybe the D backs won't have to be 5 stars.

No more excuses, period.

msu97
01-07-2015, 11:21 AM
word is Brick may be coming to ATM as well... and if he does, ATM may have landed one of the best DLine coaches in America... and his one heckuva recruiter as well...

great guy too... that would be two great hires...

and yes, with Sumlin's offense, they will still give up points... but they will make their fair share of stops... and possibly tackle better... that is ATM's glaring problem on D, with some scheme issues...

as for UT... they will fix their offense by whoever lines up at qb that is not named Swoopes... that in itself is an upgrade

caleb_mccaig
01-07-2015, 11:40 AM
word is Brick may be coming to ATM as well... and if he does, ATM may have landed one of the best DLine coaches in America... and his one heckuva recruiter as well...

great guy too... that would be two great hires...

and yes, with Sumlin's offense, they will still give up points... but they will make their fair share of stops... and possibly tackle better... that is ATM's glaring problem on D, with some scheme issues...

as for UT... they will fix their offense by whoever lines up at qb that is not named Swoopes... that in itself is an upgrade

Everything I've heard is pointing to Brick staying in Baton Rouge.....granted, it's on an LSU forum so who really knowns.

NastySlot
01-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Everything I've heard is pointing to Brick staying in Baton Rouge.....granted, it's on an LSU forum so who really knowns.

what is the word on his buyout?

thinking it can't be too high

caleb_mccaig
01-07-2015, 03:34 PM
what is the word on his buyout?

thinking it can't be too high

I'm 99% sure that in an article I read about the five assistants getting extensions that the buyout is $0. Lol so if he wants to leave then he can. I think most coaches who aren't coordinators usually don't have buyouts included in their contracts. All of Haley's family is in the BR area though so I'd be a bit surprised if he left. His name was being thrown around as a possible candidate to replace Chief, but I've been hearing that LSU is really close to signing Shoop from Penn State, who had a top five defense in the country this past year.

NastySlot
01-07-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm 99% sure that in an article I read about the five assistants getting extensions that the buyout is $0. Lol so if he wants to leave then he can. I think most coaches who aren't coordinators usually don't have buyouts included in their contracts. All of Haley's family is in the BR area though so I'd be a bit surprised if he left. His name was being thrown around as a possible candidate to replace Chief, but I've been hearing that LSU is really close to signing Shoop from Penn State, who had a top five defense in the country this past year.

Read that about the offer for DC. I just figured it was just to get him to reconsider staying(if he is thinking of leaving) and slow down a move to A&M or anywhere else.

Shoop would be a good hire. I think Michigan got a good one with Dirken.

Saggy Aggie
01-07-2015, 06:27 PM
I heard miss st was interested in hiring brick as their DC a while back....

Wonder why that didn't work out...?

NastySlot
01-07-2015, 06:41 PM
I heard miss st was interested in hiring brick as their DC a while back....

Wonder why that didn't work out...?

Maybe it's because Manny wears cleats to practice.

NastySlot
01-08-2015, 12:25 PM

think Shoop might be out.

Saggy Aggie
01-08-2015, 12:26 PM
think Shoop might be out.

Well yeah he tweeted yesterday that he was staying at penn st right?

caleb_mccaig
01-08-2015, 12:33 PM
Well yeah he tweeted yesterday that he was staying at penn st right?

Yeah he's out. Penn St apparently gave him raise, at least that's what I've heard.

I'm not worried....everyone on the Tiger Rant is having a heart attack about them not having a DC yet. It's been a week, they will make a hire and it will be fine. Coordinators didn't make the LSU defense, LSU makes the coordinators.

NastySlot
01-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Yeah he's out. Penn St apparently gave him raise, at least that's what I've heard.

I'm not worried....everyone on the Tiger Rant is having a heart attack about them not having a DC yet. It's been a week, they will make a hire and it will be fine. Coordinators didn't make the LSU defense, LSU makes the coordinators.

They will make a good hire.

caleb_mccaig
01-08-2015, 03:30 PM
They will make a good hire.

Agreed. One thing that I keep hearing, which I personally think is an absolute long shot, is that if Malzahn takes the 49'ers job then would Muschamp be back on the market and that would be the top target. It's only been a week since there's been a vacancy but it will get interesting. I've heard the Vandy DC also may be an option along with Ed Orgeron and Venables at Clemson

New Taiton
01-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Agreed. One thing that I keep hearing, which I personally think is an absolute long shot, is that if Malzahn takes the 49'ers job then would Muschamp be back on the market and that would be the top target. It's only been a week since there's been a vacancy but it will get interesting.

Only because I enjoy drama, I would loooooove for this to happen. Talk about a college football shakeup.

caleb_mccaig
01-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Only because I enjoy drama, I would loooooove for this to happen. Talk about a college football shakeup.

Hahah for sure. Does anyone know if a new coordinator comes in and the head coach leaves within a couple weeks or months after that if the coordinator HAS to stay? Or do most programs do the same with coaches like they do with some players by granting transfer releases? I'm assuming the school wouldn't care if there's a buyout clause and the coordinator is bought out.

caleb_mccaig
01-08-2015, 05:58 PM
Just saw that one of the kids who committed to LSU a couple of days before the bowl game is questioning his commitment. A&M offered and I think I saw he scheduled a visit. He said one of the main reasons he wanted to go to LSU was because of Chavis and I figured it was only a matter of time before this happened. I know his final two were Tennessee and LSU, wonder if he'll follow Chavis to A&M.

His name is Ugo Amadi, a three star CB from Tennessee. He's early enrolling by the way, so he only has a few days to decide.

Saggy Aggie
01-08-2015, 06:20 PM
Just saw that one of the kids who committed to LSU a couple of days before the bowl game is questioning his commitment. A&M offered and I think I saw he scheduled a visit. He said one of the main reasons he wanted to go to LSU was because of Chavis and I figured it was only a matter of time before this happened. I know his final two were Tennessee and LSU, wonder if he'll follow Chavis to A&M.

His name is Ugo Amadi, a three star CB from Tennessee. He's early enrolling by the way, so he only has a few days to decide.

Yeah I heard about this offer yesterday I thknk. Should be interesting

Saggy Aggie
01-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Aggies also offered the #1 JuCo cb in the nation, justin Martin.

Apparently him and Amadi want to play together. Went to the same hs I think

caleb_mccaig
01-08-2015, 11:30 PM
Yeah I heard about this offer yesterday I thknk. Should be interesting

Kid flipped to Oregon.

Saggy Aggie
01-14-2015, 06:09 PM
Looking more and more like brick is coming to college station

NastySlot
01-14-2015, 06:54 PM
Looking more and more like brick is coming to college station

Would be a great addition. However I read (and it may just be smoke) that most of the talk is coming from LSU sites about him coming and not so much in Bright Complex. He does have a buyout of $100,000 if he leaves for position other than a coordinator. I did also read it might not prevent a release since his position was changed at LSU.

Time will tell.

Looking for it but was told Miles referred to Brick as "an intern" might expensive buyout for an intern.

Saggy Aggie
01-14-2015, 07:19 PM
Well, hes no longer listed on the LSU site as a coach.

Also, Chavis' wife tweeted some suggestive things at him sorta indicating Brick and Chavis would be reunited. Couple that with Les' comments and the demotion that i think negates his buyout....

Just saying it walks and talks like a duck... so maybe its a duck?

NastySlot
01-14-2015, 08:47 PM

Also, Chavis' wife tweeted some suggestive things at him sorta indicating Brick and Chavis would be reunited. Couple that with Les' comments and the demotion that i think negates his buyout....

I just saw that about Chavis wife and that he now be followed by a lot Ag s.

caleb_mccaig
01-15-2015, 11:46 AM

Yeah, it looks like he's gone. His job title is now an "administrative" position at the school. He can leave now, though. With the signing of Ed O and Steele LSU now has three Recruiter of the Year award winners. I'm assuming everyone was just waiting for the empty slots to be filled.