PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs Arkansas

Saggy Aggie
12-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Think the longhorns will lose to the last place team in the SEC west, or does strong continue to build on the recent momentum?

1st and goal
12-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Think the longhorns will lose to the last place team in the SEC west, or does strong continue to build on the recent momentum?

Good question. Horns will have to have some turnovers to win IMO.

I do detect a modicum of sarcasm in your question. :)

SouthTexas Lobo
12-29-2014, 02:25 PM

And you cannot understand why Hook is alway on you. Very intellegent you are.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Don't know what the Vegas line is, but I'd say the Horns are definitely the underdog in this one. But it IS Texas vs Arkansas, so anything can happen and usually has in the past. This is an ooooold rivalry reborn.

Scoop27
12-29-2014, 06:26 PM
The Austin American Statesman always has a chat room for Longhorns games. At least they did in the regular season. Hope they have one tonight as the AAS writers are giving their thoughts

Saggy Aggie
12-29-2014, 06:42 PM
And you cannot understand why Hook is alway on you. Very intellegent you are.

LOL, I'm not confused at all why hook is always on my case...

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 09:02 PM
TEXAS BOWL.....should be packed house here tonite. AND a much better game than the last one with Clemson vs Okie, LOL.

Saggy Aggie
12-29-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm gonna watch my first longhorn game this season... Mainly because my officemate at work is a razorback

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Not a good start for the Texas offense. Swoopes not totally at fault, but needs to play a "clean" game and let his other weapons make some plays tonite.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Arkansas gets a lucky break on the strip out, as it falls right into the other receiver's hands.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Texas D holds Arkie to a field goal after the stripped fumble lucky break. I'd call that one a Horns win. Could have been trouble within the red zone there.

Roughneck93
12-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Looks like a catch...

Bullaholic
12-29-2014, 09:41 PM
UT offense looks ragged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 09:42 PM
The field is NOT in very good condition after the Texans game yesterday. I can tell the natural grass is slightly wet and torn up....not good traction to make cuts.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 09:45 PM
UT offense looks ragged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what they've been all year.....ragged. Definitely not explosive, powerful, or smooth. Ragged is the right description.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 09:50 PM
UT will need some sustained drives on offense to keep the Texas D spelled, or this Arkie offense will wear on them as the game goes. Horns need field position and then a score here in the 2nd quarter.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 09:54 PM
The Texas Dback did not locate the football and therefore his excellent position from a coverage standpoint was useless. Why don't they teach these dbacks to play the ball instead of the man? I see that all the time....it's senseless. I played dback in high school, and our coach taught to play the ball when it's in the air.

bwdlionfan
12-29-2014, 10:04 PM
I hope this is the last game for Swoopes

Roughneck93
12-29-2014, 10:10 PM
Wow...just horrible.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 10:13 PM
I said early on they would be better off with fresh. Heard in there than Swoopes. By now Heard would have been relatively seasoned, and is just a better qb than Swoopes will ever be.....end of story. Just because Swoopes has size and a couple of years does not automatically make him the better choice, or the only choice.

Roughneck93
12-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Can't even get a play in on time...

FB-fanatic
12-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Put in Ladders son... good time to give him a look.

Roughneck93
12-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Finally....

Saggy Aggie
12-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Arkansas doing Texas a favor everytime they try to throw. They've had no trouble running it...

Saggy Aggie
12-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Texas has 46 yards of offense at halftime.

Texas also has 5 first downs and core values....

Macarthur
12-29-2014, 10:48 PM
I said early on they would be better off with fresh. Heard in there than Swoopes. By now Heard would have been relatively seasoned, and is just a better qb than Swoopes will ever be.....end of story. Just because Swoopes has size and a couple of years does not automatically make him the better choice, or the only choice.

I've read that Charlie promised heard's parents that he would RS him.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 10:59 PM
I've read that Charlie promised heard's parents that he would RS him.

Well what happened to Charlie's core values? I see Heard on the sideline in the green with the clipboard. Maybe he was redshirted and just suited for this bowl game as a reward.

bwdlionfan
12-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Well what happened to Charlie's core values? I see Heard on the sideline in the green with the clipboard. Maybe he was redshirted and just suited for this bowl game as a reward.

I think he's been suited up at every game. That doesn't burn his redshirt.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 11:06 PM
What you really see here is a team that never had any discipline until this year, and it's obvious. It looks like they are trying to play quality disciplined football, but are still a work in progress......the Horns, I mean.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 11:15 PM
These announcers are dunces.....the ball was thrown too far toward the sidelines. That's on the throw, not the receiver.

Saggy Aggie
12-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Arkansas' kicker sucks. They struggle to make EPs...

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 11:21 PM
You can see the Horns are just not polished enough, but have potential. They make stupid mistakes after all these games, and are always just a smidgeon away from a big play....instead of actually consistently executing. They should be pretty darn good next season.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Arkansas' kicker sucks. They struggle to make EPs...

Cole Hedland from Argyle is the backup kicker, but he's redshirted I believe. He's just a freshman.

Macarthur
12-29-2014, 11:24 PM
You can see the Horns are just not polished enough, but have potential. They make stupid mistakes after all these games, and are always just a smidgeon away from a big play....instead of actually consistently executing. They should be pretty darn good next season.

You and I are watching a diff game.

2 things about next year: some really good players graduating. Those guys in the DL are going to be hard to replace.

And got to find a QB. Maybe heard is the answer.

Saggy Aggie
12-29-2014, 11:25 PM

Make that 29 yards of total offense.

Texas also has 29 penalty yards.

For those that struggle with math, that is a net of 0 yards.

Saggy Aggie
12-29-2014, 11:26 PM
Cole Hedland from Argyle is the backup kicker, but he's redshirted I believe. He's just a freshman.

That ought to be much better.

Saggy Aggie
12-29-2014, 11:27 PM
An interesting thing to note is that Arkansas was the worst team in the SEC West this year.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 11:30 PM
You and I are watching a diff game.

2 things about next year: some really good players graduating. Those guys in the DL are going to be hard to replace.

And got to find a QB. Maybe heard is the answer.

I think more seasoning with regular starters at their position will make all the difference on the lines, and the rest of the positions. I'm looking at the potential, not what is. There will always be seniors graduating, but I'm of the belief that Strong's track record of disciplined hard-nosed football will really give Texas what it needs. They are very young.

Saggy Aggie
12-29-2014, 11:31 PM
Texas has never had a season with 5 or more losses by 20+ points.

Arkansas pretty close to making that a reality

YTBulldogs
12-29-2014, 11:38 PM
Swoopes sucks. He MUST be replaced next year.

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 11:39 PM
Texas has never had a season with 5 or more losses by 20+ points.

Arkansas pretty close to making that a reality

This is not your regular Texas Longhorns team. Many were thrown off the team, and the season has been a mish-mesh of substituting to find the right guys at the right positions. They still managed to come together enough to win enough games to get to this Bowl game. It has been a season of changing of the program at Texas. All that has taken place has to be taken into account for this particular season with what has transpired. All in all, things shouldn't have worked out and they didn't exactly, but they are here playing a fairly decent team nationally that had some good wins on a national scale.

Saggy Aggie
12-29-2014, 11:52 PM
Arkansas now has more points (31) than Texas has yards (29)

I had heard Texas' offense was pretty bad, but I didn't know it was this bad.

Saggy Aggie
12-29-2014, 11:56 PM
25 yards

regaleagle
12-29-2014, 11:59 PM
What's their punting average so far Saggie?

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2014, 12:07 AM
Not sure but -21 yards this half

regaleagle
12-30-2014, 12:17 AM
Maybe Arkansas should have done better with their personnel this season. They will end only 7-6.

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2014, 12:19 AM
Great game by 2 great teams

YTBulldogs
12-30-2014, 12:27 AM
Great game by 2 great teams

Least Texas didn't sucker punch a couple times, Arkansas players going into their team area, huh SA? Loved the Johnnie Football remarks by Griese too. When comparing B'water and JF as pro QB's. "Gotta be on time when throwing to receivers, and when attending meetings."

Roughneck93
12-30-2014, 12:39 AM

:D

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/trueblue74/5C319BD1-FAF3-4CF6-9E2E-A527DFC96F48.jpg

hookandladder
12-30-2014, 01:16 AM
Just a good old fashion whupping, not much to say when your offense is just that bad. Still like our defense, just no help from offense. Till next year, Hookem

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Least Texas didn't sucker punch a couple times, Arkansas players going into their team area, huh SA? Loved the Johnnie Football remarks by Griese too. When comparing B'water and JF as pro QB's. "Gotta be on time when throwing to receivers, and when attending meetings."

That graduate assistant hit more receivers than swoopes

But let's be real... Those were not punches....

Mr. Football
12-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Just a good old fashion whupping, not much to say when your offense is just that bad. Still like our defense, just no help from offense. Till next year, Hookem

The defense this year was the only good thing that Texas. We need a offense that won't go 3 and out 3/4 of the game I'm ready for Heard to come in and take the starting QB spot away from Swoops. I wonder what this year would have been if Ash would have stayed healthy. I would say 10-2

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2014, 08:53 AM
Strong said the Longhorns won't ever have another 5 loss season. What about 7 loss seasons?

Macarthur
12-30-2014, 10:02 AM
The defense this year was the only good thing that Texas. We need a offense that won't go 3 and out 3/4 of the game I'm ready for Heard to come in and take the starting QB spot away from Swoops. I wonder what this year would have been if Ash would have stayed healthy. I would say 10-2

10-2?!

:eek:

Mr. Football
12-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Well think about it if Ash was QB I believe they could have won against UCLA, Oklahoma, Kansas State and maybe Baylor so 9-3 or 10-2.

Macarthur
12-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Well think about it if Ash was QB I believe they could have won against UCLA, Oklahoma, Kansas State and maybe Baylor so 9-3 or 10-2.

I think he makes them 2 games better, tops.

Celina8
12-30-2014, 11:32 AM
I am a Longhorn fan , but we are a long way from being a good football team. I still think Charlie can get us in the right direction, but next year we have to see some much needed improvement for this offense.

Scoop27
12-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Charlie Strong is blaming himself for the loss which is mostly the cause with poor play calling. They didn't throw the ball to Shipley once in the game. Horns need a new QB as Swoopes is not the answer. It was a tough game to watch as a Longhorn fan. Offensive line blocking was almost non existent and defense couldn't make key stops in situations. Hope next year with the new recruits will help

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2014, 01:19 PM
Charlie Strong is blaming himself for the loss which is mostly the cause with poor play calling. They didn't throw the ball to Shipley once in the game. Horns need a new QB as Swoopes is not the answer. It was a tough game to watch as a Longhorn fan. Offensive line blocking was almost non existent and defense couldn't make key stops in situations. Hope next year with the new recruits will help

Play calling was not the problem scoop.

A quarterback who couldn't hit the water from a boat and an offensive line that managed to block for a 0.1 yd/Rush was the problem.

Being totally outclassed by the other team is not a play calling issue.

PhiI C
12-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Texas probably could have held it to a 17-7 loss but they got behind and had to gamble and the game got away from them.

Macarthur
12-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Play calling was not the problem scoop.

A quarterback who couldn't hit the water from a boat and an offensive line that managed to block for a 0.1 yd/Rush was the problem.

Being totally outclassed by the other team is not a play calling issue.

I gotta agree w saggy. The game was never really close.

I think there may a bit of delusion going on w the UT fanbase here. You have to hope heard is the answer because if he isn't, I can't see things getting better.

First, you are losing 4 or 5 nfl caliber players off that defense. And macks recrutiting hasn't been all that good the last couple of years. You don't have guys waiting in the wings like m brown, diggs, reed and edmunds. Those are big pieces to replace.

What I saw with swoopes is a guy that isn't a legitimate D 1 qb right now. He certainly could improve but he's got a long way to go just to be average. Heard is going to be a freshman so he's going to have growing pains.

Unless UT has a huge improvement in the qb position, I see another 6 to 7 wins, tops.

regaleagle
12-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Mac's probably right here.....this looks to be a 2-3 year process at best. Texas has lost some ground on the recruiting trail in recent years to Baylor, TCU, A&M, and even Tech. But the qb situation is the one that looms largest. Heard could make a difference, but it will probably take several years for the Horns to be really good again and competitive on a national scale.

1st and goal
12-30-2014, 04:20 PM
I think the O-Line is the weakest link. Swoopes made some decent passes. RB dropped the ball in their own endzone.

Celina8
12-30-2014, 08:12 PM
It is a combination of both bad QB and bad offensive line. I wish they would hire Sherman because I think he had a great eye for evaluating talent in young men as proof by the great line and receivers that he recruited to A&M.

Saggy Aggie
12-30-2014, 08:44 PM
I gotta agree w saggy. The game was never really close.

I think there may a bit of delusion going on w the UT fanbase here. You have to hope heard is the answer because if he isn't, I can't see things getting better.

First, you are losing 4 or 5 nfl caliber players off that defense. And macks recrutiting hasn't been all that good the last couple of years. You don't have guys waiting in the wings like m brown, diggs, reed and edmunds. Those are big pieces to replace.

What I saw with swoopes is a guy that isn't a legitimate D 1 qb right now. He certainly could improve but he's got a long way to go just to be average. Heard is going to be a freshman so he's going to have growing pains.

Unless UT has a huge improvement in the qb position, I see another 6 to 7 wins, tops.

I certainly don't think heard can be any worse. I think that alone is enough to significantly improve the team.