PDA

View Full Version : Interesing Thought about the State Championship Games.

Rabid Cougar
12-23-2014, 11:08 AM
I was watching the SC games with my sons and we had an interesting discussion. It came up in the Allen game when the announcers were introducing the offensive line up and you could almost hear them say "Kylar Murray, Senior out of Lewisville, David Faliciano, Junior out of China Spring."

Ths discussion was about there are schools that parents transfer their kids into to get the "look" they need to move to the next level. We came up with Katy, Aledo, Allen, Gilmer, Argyle, Cedar Hill and several others that were not there this year. It is interesting that these teams continuously show up in the SC games. On contrary, you don't move your kids to Navasota, Cameron and Temple. You just don't do it. Yet teams like Navasota and Cameron continuously show up at the end of the year with home grown talent. Lot of that int eh smaller classification schools too.

Your thoughts????

44INAROW
12-23-2014, 11:42 AM
I agree

caleb_mccaig
12-23-2014, 11:57 AM
I was watching the SC games with my sons and we had an interesting discussion. It came up in the Allen game when the announcers were introducing the offensive line up and you could almost hear them say "Kylar Murray, Senior out of Lewisville, David Faliciano, Junior out of China Spring."

Ths discussion was about there are schools that parents transfer their kids into to get the "look" they need to move to the next level. We came up with Katy, Aledo, Allen, Gilmer, Argyle, Cedar Hill and several others that were not there this year. It is interesting that these teams continuously show up in the SC games. On contrary, you don't move your kids to Navasota, Cameron and Temple. You just don't do it. Yet teams like Navasota and Cameron continuously show up at the end of the year with home grown talent. Lot of that int eh smaller classification schools too.

Your thoughts????

I'm not sure here.....but I've always assumed that Cedar Hill wasn't really a great place to live....Am I just totally wrong?

But yeah, I noticed that also. I know back when I was in high school it was always Austin Westlake, Southlake Carroll, Katy, Celina, and Euless who seemed to be the main players in state. It's getting kind of boring seeing the same schools there every year IMO.

bearbear78
12-23-2014, 12:44 PM
Be careful.....touchy touchy subject with some.

Rabid Cougar
12-23-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure here.....but I've always assumed that Cedar Hill wasn't really a great place to live....Am I just totally wrong?

But yeah, I noticed that also. I know back when I was in high school it was always Austin Westlake, Southlake Carroll, Katy, Celina, and Euless who seemed to be the main players in state. It's getting kind of boring seeing the same schools there every year IMO.

True with Cedar Hill. They do have a kick ass Private school there too. I called a game with them and Reicher. Cedar Hill only wearing white. Big private school just south of Argyle too that always has athletes.

Ryan was also pointing out which DFW schools have a professional Strength and Conditioning Coach/businesses runnning their summer offseason programs.

Wonkas_Willy
12-23-2014, 01:10 PM
Interesting topic... I do notice though that you list only minority schools as schools that people don't move to.

caleb_mccaig
12-23-2014, 01:14 PM
True with Cedar Hill. They do have a kick ass Private school there too. I called a game with them and Reicher. Cedar Hill only wearing white. Big private school just south of Argyle too that always has athletes.

Ryan was also pointing out which DFW schools have a professional Strength and Conditioning Coach/businesses runnning their summer offseason programs.

I know Stephenville this summer used a professional strength and conditioning business to do their summer workouts. I did a story over it and it was the same company that did Allen's program, among others.

YTBulldogs
12-23-2014, 01:16 PM
I'm old school. I recall Permian being the best of this back in late 70's into the 80's. In the Basin boom days. I'm sure there was some prior, but--don't recall the "system" of recruiting being at their level. Many stud's moved across town from Ector, Odessa High boundary's.

Gsquared
12-23-2014, 03:11 PM

Actually Cedar Hill isn't all that bad. Some really nice parts of Chill.

slingshot
12-23-2014, 04:06 PM
I think it has to do more with people wanting a nice place to move to... if (heaven forbid) I had to move to the Metromess I would probably choose somewhere in the area of Argyle/Flower Mound just because it is a very nice place to live. Really would not want to live anywhere near downtown Ft Worth or Dallas.

Rabid Cougar
12-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Interesting topic... I do notice though that you list only minority schools as schools that people don't move to.

It wasn't what I was aiming for but if you look at it from that angle, then yes I did. People don't move to Temple (ISD that is) they move to the parts of Temple that are in the Belton or Academy ISDs. They don't move to Cameron. There is not a lot of jobs IN Cameron. I am from Cameron and I went to school with nearly every one of this year player's family or parents.

You don't see people moving to Navasota, but you see them moving to College Station. Its very prevalent in the local Waco area (though not related to this years SC games). China Spring and Midway are booming and Connally ( Lacy Lakeview) Waco and University are declining. If it were not for the magnet school being co-located with University it would be a 4A school and not a 5A.

The Ex China Spring RB on Allen (#7) specifically moved to Allen to play football. Even shopped at Midway and SLC but not Cedar Hill, Trinity, Desoto or Skyline.

The QB from Salado moved to Gilmer. I can hardly say Salado is a minority school though.

bobcat1
12-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Gosh we never get a move in.

Rabid Cougar
12-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Gosh we never get a move in.

There are "one's" I intentionally left out because I did not want to be perceived to be picking on anyone.But yes, Celina is included.

Rabid Cougar
12-23-2014, 04:20 PM
I am not trying point who is a bad guy or anything like that. It was just an observation.

toddg
12-23-2014, 04:25 PM
It wasn't what I was aiming for but if you look at it from that angle, then yes I did. People don't move to Temple (ISD that is) they move to the parts of Temple that are in the Belton or Academy ISDs. They don't move to Cameron. There is not a lot of jobs IN Cameron. I am from Cameron and I went to school with nearly every one of this year player's family or parents.

You don't see people moving to Navasota, but you see them moving to College Station. Its very prevalent in the local Waco area (though not related to this years SC games). China Spring and Midway are booming and Connally ( Lacy Lakeview) Waco and University are declining. If it were not for the magnet school being co-located with University it would be a 4A school and not a 5A.

The Ex China Spring RB on Allen (#7) specifically moved to Allen to play football. Even shopped at Midway and SLC but not Cedar Hill, Trinity, Desoto or Skyline.

The QB from Salado moved to Gilmer. I can hardly say Salado is a minority school though.
Desoto, Skyline, and Cedar Hill get their "move ins" from south Dallas, Lanecaster, and other surrounding areas..Skyline is a magnet school, so they pull from anywhere in the DISD.

bobcat1
12-23-2014, 04:41 PM
There are "one's" I intentionally left out because I did not want to be perceived to be picking on anyone.But yes, Celina is included.
:tisk:

44INAROW
12-23-2014, 06:01 PM

I've just got to ask - what defines a 'minority school'?

caleb_mccaig
12-23-2014, 06:14 PM
I've just got to ask - what defines a 'minority school'?

Tell me if I'm wrong here, everyone gets so butt hurt these days, but the ones mentioned were Navasota, Temple and Cameron and I'm totally assuming that by minority school, they mean a school that has mostly a student body made up of black, latino or any race other than white students.

regaleagle
12-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Tell me if I'm wrong here, everyone gets so butt hurt these days, but the ones mentioned were Navasota, Temple and Cameron and I'm totally assuming that by minority school, they mean a school that has mostly a student body made up of black, latino or any race other than white students.

I believe Latinos are now in the majority across Texas anyway....if not the nation.

44INAROW
12-23-2014, 06:39 PM

Beats me lol. Please don't think I was butt hurt lol. I was being serious. I'm now wondering if Cuero is a minority school😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aesculus gilmus
12-23-2014, 06:56 PM
I believe Latinos are now in the majority across Texas anyway....if not the nation.

The Texas public school system has a Latino majority, true. But the Latinos are not yet a majority of the Texas population. What IS true is that the so-called "Anglos" (more generically called "whites") are not in the majority anymore. They are a plurality.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48000.html

Someone up thread brought up the Gilmer QB as having moved here from Salado. Technically, this is true. However, McLane Carter was attending Gilmer public schools from the fourth grade to the 10th grade. It was only the football season of his 11th grade year that was spent in Salado. As I understand it, he came back tp be a student again at Gilmer High School in January.

I realize that Blake Lynch having transferred here from Troup this season and was a big reason Gilmer won State. However, if families are going to move to Gilmer ISD for the football program, they had better have their jobs lined up elsewhere (e.g., Longview or Tyler) or be independently wealthy before they get here.

That's because Gilmer and Upshur County is/are the epitome of an economic basket case. In a county of 40,000, we have no hospital, no ER, no clinic and are headed toward not even having an ambulance service as of March (although that may be remedied by then).

The downtown area continues to look as if it's been hit on a regular basis by neutron bombs. (IOW, all the people are gone with the buildings left standing.) Of course, this is true of most small towns with Walmarts.

Gilmer Elementary School is on the PEG list put out by the TEA. Look it up if you don't know what it is. You don't want to be on that list.
http://kxan.com/2014/12/20/list-of-worst-texas-schools-increases/

It is all these factors that lead me to continue to believe that Gilmer High School will gradually lose enrollment and thus the Buckeyes will continue to be 4A Division II's worst nightmare for many years to come.

Matthew328
12-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Cedar Hill is actually a very nice town....a lot of beautiful homes there and well monied people....

Most of the places mentioned are on the outskirts of big cities where there are plentiful jobs and suburban sprawl.....not a lot of people moving to Cameron or Navasota....not many jobs

caleb_mccaig
12-24-2014, 04:20 AM
Cedar Hill is actually a very nice town....a lot of beautiful homes there and well monied people....

Most of the places mentioned are on the outskirts of big cities where there are plentiful jobs and suburban sprawl.....not a lot of people moving to Cameron or Navasota....not many jobs

Agreed. That's why China Spring is blowing up. The only person I know who lives in Navasota is my step-brother and it's because he used to be the game warden in Zapata and got the same job there.

GrTigers6
12-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Not to dissagree but a lot of succesfull schools attract parents of potential athletes looking for (good) schools that will help get their kids be in the spotlight, IE Allen, Cedar Hill, SC, Etc.
And the town figures in to be a small portion of that decision

Rabid Cougar
12-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Cameron
White - 2,516 (45.3%)
Hispanic - 1,864 (33.6%)
Black - 1,094 (19.7%)

Navasota
Hispanic - 3,161 (43.6%)
Black - 2,320 (32.0%)
White - 1,717 (23.7%)

Gilmer
White - 3,123 (63.0%)
Hispanic - 889 (17.9%)
Black - 775 (15.6%)

Allen
White - 54,690 (64.9%)
Asian - 10,772 (12.8%)
Hispanic - 9,443 (11.2%)
Black - 6,891 (8.2%)

Arygle
White - 3,018 (92.0%)
Hispanic - 183 (5.6%)
Black- 9 (0.3%)

Waskom
White - 1,408 (65.2%)
Hispanic - 423 (19.6%)
Black - 287 (13.3%)

Newton
White - 1,445 (58.3%)
Black - 872 (35.2%)
Hispanic - 114 (4.6%)

Canadian
White - 1,709 (64.5%)
Hispanic - 899 (33.9%)
Black- 4 (0.2%)

Cedar Hill
Black - 23,362 (52.0%)
White - 12,165 (27.1%)
Hispanic - 7,514 (16.7%)
Asian - 1,072 (2.4%)

Aledo
White - 2,209 (83.6%)
Hispanic - 321 (12.2%)
Black - 13 (0.5%)

Temple
White - 36,675 (55.5%)
Hispanic - 15,694 (23.7%)
Black - 10,815 (16.4%)
Asian - 1,336 (2.0%)

All date is from http://www.city-data.com

Aesculus gilmus
12-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Interesting stats.

Gilmer ISD, though, is way more than just Gilmer. Its territory includes around 30 percent or so of the 587 square miles of Upshur County. I would say that the population of the overall district has a higher percentage of whites and a lower percentage of Hispanics and A-As than that. Most of the country folks in this area are white (except for their necks). :)

Rabid Cougar
12-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Interesting stats.

Gilmer ISD, though, is way more than just Gilmer. Its territory includes around 30 percent or so of the 587 square miles of Upshur County. I would say that the population of the overall district has a higher percentage of whites and a lower percentage of Hispanics and A-As than that. Most of the country folks in this area are white (except for their necks). :)

Your statement is correct and applicable for all of these towns/cities. These figures are for within the city limits, ie. Allen, Cedar Hill and Temple.

caleb_mccaig
12-24-2014, 10:13 AM
It makes it all the more impressive when schools who don't allow transfers, or students who don't live within the school district to attend and play, are playoff teams every year.

44INAROW
12-24-2014, 01:00 PM
I don't have any hard statistics but I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the varsity players at Cuero have been in green and white Gobbler uniforms since 7th grade and 98% were in PeeWee football in Cuero as little fellows (I don't know when they start since we didn't have PeeWee football when my boys were young)

Deuce
12-24-2014, 02:25 PM
It makes it all the more impressive when schools who don't allow transfers, or students who don't live within the school district to attend and play, are playoff teams every year.

So your saying there are schools that will not let kids play there unless they grew up there? What if a new coach moves in to these towns and have kids that want to play football?

caleb_mccaig
12-24-2014, 02:48 PM
So your saying there are schools that will not let kids play there unless they grew up there? What if a new coach moves in to these towns and have kids that want to play football?

Not at all what I was saying. When I was at China Spring we didn't allow transfers from people who lived in other school districts. I know several people who just bought property and lived in Hewitt and went to China Spring.

YTBulldogs
12-24-2014, 03:16 PM
Not at all what I was saying. When I was at China Spring we didn't allow transfers from people who lived in other school districts.

I didn't even know you could live in another district and play elsewhere. Maybe we already are like TAPPS and what we feared from the new Lt. Gov trying to do?

buckeyebob
12-24-2014, 05:40 PM

Set the record straight...McLane Carter moved with his parents to Gilmer in early elementary school...played Buckeye Football in Jr High & High School...he moved with his Dad to Salado in the summer of 2013, played ball for them & moved back to Gilmer around Xmas of 2013...rest is history & you need to be a little better on research before the stones start flying