PDA

View Full Version : Burnet/Waco University Scrimmage

Chris Hart
08-23-2003, 09:12 AM
What time does the varsity start today?

Chris Hart
08-23-2003, 01:48 PM
Well I just got back from the scrimmage, and it didn't go to well for the Burnet Boys.

The controlled part of the scrimmage ended in a 2-2 tie, while the 1 live quarter of play ended up 2-1 in favor of University.

The Bulldog defense was controlled by the HUGE line of University for the most part, they played valiantly but didn't look to be playing to their potential. The offense was sporadic as well, McGee to Shipley combo looked good when McGee had time to throw, which wasn't often. Levens looked fair out of the backfield breaking one 50-60 yd gain. The offensive line needs work for the Bulldogs to get into form for the regular season. The Dawgs didn't spread the ball around today in the passing game, but that may have been due to the University coverage and pass rush. The potential seems to be there for Burnet, but they have a ways to go. The defense needs some leaders to get the D pumped up in crunch time as they seem to play much better when they're stoked. It should be an interesting game next Friday in Burnet, when the Bulldogs host a very talent laden Austin Reagan club. Go Bulldogs!

Old Cardinal
08-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Chris, Anyone that beats Marlin 31-7 and then goes 3 rounds in the 4A playoffs is a mighty worthy opponent. Arn't you glad that you went 4A in your scrimmage, so that in studying the film, adjustments can be made that will pay dividends in the future?

horndawg
08-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Good point old card. I bet they are by far the best team Burnet has ever faced.

Rabbit'93
08-23-2003, 07:23 PM
EVER...even better than Everman last year?

espn1
08-23-2003, 07:32 PM
This team reminded me alot of Everman, But they were much bigger.Their right tackle was 6'7" 315 5.0. Guards 265-300Lb's. Everman was awesome last year. But you will never be able to compare. McGee was healthy today. There's abig difference when you have two legs. This University Team looked to me as more than a 3rd place contender in their District. Marlin opens against this same team on Sept. 5th.

Chris Hart
08-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Yes I am very glad that Burnet will play the big boys. Burnet lost the scrimmage by 1 TD like I said, but the first TD by University in the live quarter was set up by a 40+ yd. tipped pass completion that went to the Burnet 2. University scored again on their next posession after a nice drive. Burnet then scored and held University and had a 1st and 10 very deep in University territory with 15 seconds left, so McGee forced a throw and was intercepted in the endzone with 4 sec. left. I was impressed with University overall, but Burnet played very vanilla today and if they had to play a real game, even after watching the scrimmage today, my money would be on the Bulldogs. Burnet's defense and offensive line looked a little shaky at the start of last year also. The coaches will have them ready shortly.

<small>[ August 23, 2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

20dawgz05
08-23-2003, 08:55 PM
I think that it was better we had a harder team for this scrimmage......it let us see the problems and get ready for the game on FRIDAY!!!! im so excited!!!!!!!

MARLINFAN
08-24-2003, 03:29 AM
THE REASON UNIVERSITY BEAT MARLIN 31-7 AST YEAR WAS BECAUSE WE WERENT READY. THEY GOT A KILLER LINE AND HAVE ALWAYS HAD. BUT REALLY I DONT THINK THERE BETTER THAN US THIS YEAR.

Shocky
08-24-2003, 08:58 AM
Chris Hart:
Well I just got back from the scrimmage, and it didn't go to well for the Burnet Boys.

The controlled part of the scrimmage ended in a 2-2 tie, while the 1 live quarter of play ended up 2-1 in favor of University.

The Bulldog defense was controlled by the HUGE line of University for the most part, they played valiantly but didn't look to be playing to their potential. The offense was sporadic as well, McGee to Shipley combo looked good when McGee had time to throw, which wasn't often. Levens looked fair out of the backfield breaking one 50-60 yd gain. The offensive line needs work for the Bulldogs to get into form for the regular season. The Dawgs didn't spread the ball around today in the passing game, but that may have been due to the University coverage and pass rush. The potential seems to be there for Burnet, but they have a ways to go. The defense needs some leaders to get the D pumped up in crunch time as they seem to play much better when they're stoked. It should be an interesting game next Friday in Burnet, when the Bulldogs host a very talent laden Austin Reagan club. Go Bulldogs!

Shocky
08-24-2003, 09:06 AM
You mean to tell me that Burnet was challeged? What about their superior off-season program,what about all their D1 guys, what about their coaches...

I did not see the scrimmage but the bottom line is athletes are athletes! You can talk off-season, you can talk coaching , but it sounds like to me that Burnet was out athleted! That is no discredit to UT.

Lets see how good the off-season program is when this years senior class is gone.

HotDawg89
08-24-2003, 09:36 AM
Look here "Shocky"-- no one has been on this board tootin' any horn about Burnet- if you have a problem with the fact that we are ranked number one- talk smack to the people who ranked us- but don't sit here and dog the program.

The bottom line is Burnet didn't look good a the scrimmage. Waco University was a challenge, and I think we will have many more challenges this season. The talent is there, but the "team" isn't yet. That is my impression in a nutshell.

Chris Hart
08-24-2003, 01:13 PM
Sounds to me like ole Shocky's resume wasn't good enough for Burnet. A little old fashioned jealousy from the shockster. It's ok, your not the first one to dog our program and you won't be the last. I'm sure our coaches love the persecution, just lets em no right off that they ARE doing a great job. Keep talking. :)

espn1
08-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Wusses like shocky have to be discounted for what they are so just drop the s. You see it all the time. Little non achivers who wont even tell you where they're from.

Old Dog
08-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Burnet went 70 years before it came up with a 10-0 season, so for Christ sakes let us enjoy these good years with out apoligizing! I take that back, Hell no we ain't asking for nobody's approval. Odds are probably 99:1 that we will slip after this years Seniors are gone, but we are damn sure gona enjoy the ride. One things for sure, since 1991, we have been in the hunt almost every year. Prior to that, Burnet seldom knew where the hunt was...and I can say that because in my day, we had one good team out of 4 years.

<small>[ August 24, 2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

espn1
08-24-2003, 07:14 PM
I can remember when Bertram High could beat us. I can also remember Burnet going two straight years without a win.

HotDawg89
08-25-2003, 12:23 PM
Yes, the road to where we have "arrived" has at times been very painful. Our loss in the playoffs year before last was hard on the entire town- we had been invited to "the Hunt" and fell short at the end on ammunition. A painful lesson indeed. But painful lessons give us character- and by gosh we have character!

My boys aren't even out of elementary yet, and I can't remember a game we have missed since we came home 8 years ago. I'll support this team without our "seniors" next year and the year after! Everyone acts like without Shipley and McGee we won't even be on the map next year. We may not make it to the big ones next year, but we could surprise some people... Give the rest of these Burnet boys some credit guys. Shipley and McGee are an awesome pair, but we have an entire team of go-getters, and if we do make it to the big games this year, it won't be because of two young men alone that we do it. We have a whole town full of young men who are going to give it their all- - -

***Had to edit, I can't spell.***

<small>[ August 25, 2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: HotDawg89 ]</small>

spaniard
08-25-2003, 01:00 PM
good call hotdawg.

Old Dog
08-25-2003, 01:07 PM
HotDawg89...good post, you said better than I. I never meant to sound as if we depended solely on the "big 2". It takes 11 players to tango and we've got 'um. I've had season tickets since we played at the old stadium and will have them until the nails are driven in my box.

HotDawg89
08-25-2003, 01:12 PM
Old Dog, believe me friend, I've heard it more than just here- it wasn't really directed at you-my post was generalized. It's nice to know we are sharing season tickets with die-hards like us! See you at the game this Friday!