PDA

View Full Version : Wow Blown Call

NastySlot
12-19-2014, 10:23 PM
any one see the blown call by the officials on the CP first down...what were they looking at? Ball clearly was not past the first down stick.

Good job CP taking advantage of the blown call and scoring on next play.

Roughneck93
12-19-2014, 10:24 PM
Lol, he started to signal first down for Ennis too, horrible call.

Sweetwater Red
12-19-2014, 10:33 PM
They showed the measurement on the big screen here and then still signaled first down Cedar Park anyway. Had both sides confused.

jason
12-19-2014, 10:54 PM
They also called the cp runner down on the fumble towards end of the half.

bd62
12-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Never seen a call like that. Its clearly short and official starts to signal Ennis ball and for some reason turns and signals first down. Very strange.

Sville
12-19-2014, 11:16 PM
Is it just me or does the head ref in the Ennis game look and sound like Ron Cherry?

Roughneck93
12-20-2014, 12:29 AM
:D

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/trueblue74/2DC5AEEA-8B21-408C-BA1E-E72D0482783A.gif

Mojo84
12-20-2014, 11:31 AM
How in the world does an officiating crew make this mistake???? In a state championship no less.

There needs to be some changes in the recruitment, evaluating, training and pay for athletic officials in Texas.

region4fan
12-20-2014, 12:03 PM
I've seen this call in a NFL game (some years ago) and the commentator said it went by the the chain link(would've been correct call last night) which I thought was BS. Plus, NFL rule maybe different. What is the actual rule because I don't know it.

Mojo84
12-20-2014, 12:14 PM
It's the inside edge of the stick that counts. If the tip of the ball is at or beyond the inside edge, first down.

region4fan
12-20-2014, 12:16 PM
It's the inside edge of the stick that counts. If the tip of the ball is at or beyond the inside edge, first down.

That makes more sense to me, that's why you have the damn stick ,lol

Mojo84
12-20-2014, 12:30 PM
I would love to hear the white hat's explanation of his thinking on this one. A Saturday Night Live skit could be made of this call.

Rabid Cougar
12-20-2014, 01:30 PM
There needs to be some changes in the recruitment, evaluating, training and pay for athletic officials in Texas.

Interesting. How would you do that?

These guys probably 25 to 30 years experience each. They are the best "crew" in the Dallas Chapter. All of them probably call Juco, FCS and FBS.

So how would you fix it?

Mojo84
12-20-2014, 01:39 PM

These guys probably 25 to 30 years experience each. They are the best "crew" in the Dallas Chapter. All of them probably call Juco, FCS and FBS.

So how would you fix it?

Let me know specifically which ones on the crew call college games and cite your source. If you are going to argue, cite something better than "probably".

Like I said, pay them better, recruit more aggressively, train them better and hold them accountable. As it is, there is a shortage of good quality officials and the answer is to add more to the ranks and weed out the ones that aren't up to the take or let them call sub-varsity games until they get up to standard.

If that is the best the Dallas chapter has to offer, it's a crying shame.

I don't expect perfection but I do expect better than what I've been seeing lately.

Mojo84
12-20-2014, 01:40 PM
By the way, the type of mistakes the San Antonio chapter made in their game is what I've been seeing regularly since I moved down here.

Rabid Cougar
12-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Let me know specifically which ones on the crew call college games and cite your source. If you are going to argue, cite something better than "probably".

Like I said, pay them better, recruit more aggressively, train them better and hold them accountable. As it is, there is a shortage of good quality officials and the answer is to add more to the ranks and weed out the ones that aren't up to the take or let them call sub-varsity games until they get up to standard.

If that is the best the Dallas chapter has to offer, it's a crying shame.

I don't expect perfection but I do expect better than what I've been seeing lately.

Do not take this that I am defending the stupid call on the measurement last night. But when someone make a comment that they have no earthly clue about, I am always pushed to ask "what would you do instead"

I am speaking from being an official and knowing how the system works and know guys with the same credentials in my Chapter. The vast majority of officials that call these games are Division 1 (highest grade in Texas Association of Sport Officialsl (TASO)) officials meaning they have on average 25-30 years experience and have called hundreds of highs school football games. Most if not all of these guys also call Juco, FCS or FBS.

1. Pay ......has nothing to do with it. A Friday night official makes a percentage of the gate plus travel mileage. On average your get paid $10 an hour for a game on Friday night. These guys call for the love of the game. To call a playoff game is their bonus for a good season.

2. Recruiting.... it very difficult to recruit officials. These guys come form all different walks of life. Construction workers and truck drivers to Assistant District Attorneys and Bank Presidents. You have to have the ability to have your ass chewed and not react; make the correct call at game speed under lots of pressure and know a book full of rules with no references to go to in 30 seconds. How many people do you personally know that can do all of these things?

3. Training.... These guys go to a state wide conference for three days in late July. They then attend district and regional ruled clinics and weekly Monday night meetings from August to November. ALL on their own time and expenses.

4. Accountability..... They a graded by the coaches from each game they play. If there is a mistake made, those same coaches have no problem sending film of that mistake to the chapter and the WHOLE chapter sees it. Those same coaches can scratch them from ever calling a game at that school again. When the playoffs come around they can be kept from calling those playoffs games by the Chapter because of those blown calls.

Shortage... refer to No.1 and 2. If you have a shortage you are forced to use officials on Friday nights that are not qualified to be there. Or, as in the Dallas chapter, there are officials that have been in the Chapter for 10 years that have never called a Friday night game because they are top heavy with Division 1 officials. I know for a fact that several of their officials are in the NFL developmental program and several are SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 officials.

Is that specific enough??????

bd62
12-20-2014, 02:51 PM

So how would you fix it?
tell the ref to put on his glasses and see plainly its not a first down. It not a bam-bam play that different. This is a stoppage of time with time to make a proper call. Dont care how much experience they had time to make right call .Glad Ennis won so call did not cost them SC.

Rabid Cougar
12-20-2014, 02:55 PM
By the way, the type of mistakes the San Antonio chapter made in their game is what I've been seeing regularly since I moved down here.

Again not agreeing with their calls, but what you see at game speed on the field is entirely different that what you see on TV and from the stands. it 5 or 7 against 22 every play.

Rabid Cougar
12-20-2014, 02:56 PM
tell the ref to put on his glasses and see plainly its not a first down. It not a bam-bam play that different. This is a stoppage of time with time to make a proper call. Dont care how much experience they had time to make right call .

Totally agree.

Mojo84
12-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Do not take this that I am defending the stupid call on the measurement last night. But when someone make a comment that they have no earthly clue about, I am always pushed to ask "what would you do instead"

I am speaking from being an official and knowing how the system works and know guys with the same credentials in my Chapter. The vast majority of officials that call these games are Division 1 (highest grade in Texas Association of Sport Officialsl (TASO)) officials meaning they have on average 25-30 years experience and have called hundreds of highs school football games. Most if not all of these guys also call Juco, FCS or FBS.

1. Pay ......has nothing to do with it. A Friday night official makes a percentage of the gate plus travel mileage. On average your get paid $10 an hour for a game on Friday night. These guys call for the love of the game. To call a playoff game is their bonus for a good season.

2. Recruiting.... it very difficult to recruit officials. These guys come form all different walks of life. Construction workers and truck drivers to Assistant District Attorneys and Bank Presidents. You have to have the ability to have your ass chewed and not react; make the correct call at game speed under lots of pressure and know a book full of rules with no references to go to in 30 seconds. How many people do you personally know that can do all of these things?

3. Training.... These guys go to a state wide conference for three days in late July. They then attend district and regional ruled clinics and weekly Monday night meetings from August to November. ALL on their own time and expenses.

4. Accountability..... They a graded by the coaches from each game they play. If there is a mistake made, those same coaches have no problem sending film of that mistake to the chapter and the WHOLE chapter sees it. Those same coaches can scratch them from ever calling a game at that school again. When the playoffs come around they can be kept from calling those playoffs games by the Chapter because of those blown calls.

Shortage... refer to No.1 and 2. If you have a shortage you are forced to use officials on Friday nights that are not qualified to be there. Or, as in the Dallas chapter, there are officials that have been in the Chapter for 10 years that have never called a Friday night game because they are top heavy with Division 1 officials. I know for a fact that several of their officials are in the NFL developmental program and several are SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 officials.

I appreciate what you are saying. Just because someone has done something for a long time doesn't mean they are good at what they do. I suggest paying them more hoping it would help attract more quality people to do it. Just because someone loves the game doesn't make them a good official.

I also am intimately familiar with how officials are determined for games. If the pool of officials were larger, there are many that are officiating nowadays that would not see the field again unless they bought a ticket to sit in the stands.

Which of the officials that have blown these calls this weekend have officiated college FBS games? Which ones of these on the field this weekend have Sec, Big 12 or Big 10 experience? I appreciate what you do and appreciate you standing up for your TASO colleagues but apparently three days a year of training doesn't appear sufficient.

I think better pay, along with the love of the game would help attract additional quality people to commit their time and take the butt chewings. It's a hard thankless job. I believe the kids that are giving their all to succeed on the field deserve better than what we've seen this weekend.

Do you not agree that they deserve better calls than what we've seen? Do you think there is no room for improvement within TASO?

Rabid Cougar
12-20-2014, 03:25 PM
I appreciate what you are saying. Just because someone has done something for a long time doesn't mean they are good at what they do. I suggest paying them more hoping it would help attract more quality people to do it. Just because someone loves the game doesn't make them a good official.

I also am intimately familiar with how officials are determined for games. If the pool of officials were larger, there are many that are officiating nowadays that would not see the field again unless they bought a ticket to sit in the stands.

Which of the officials that have blown these calls this weekend have officiated college FBS games? Which ones of these on the field this weekend have Sec, Big 12 or Big 10 experience? I appreciate what you do and appreciate you standing up for your TASO colleagues but apparently three days a year of training doesn't appear sufficient.

I think better pay, along with the love of the game would help attract additional quality people to commit their time and take the butt chewings. It's a hard thankless job. I believe the kids that are giving their all to succeed on the field deserve better than what we've seen this weekend.

Do you not agree that they deserve better calls than what we've seen? Do you think there is no room for improvement within TASO?

I don't mean to say that just because they are the longest served that they are the best . I have corrected several long served officials of their over sites.

I most certainly do believe that the kids deserve the best effort. But just as any athlete makes mistakes, so do the officials. (The one last night is inexcusable, there were three other officials that should have said something. I am right there with you on that was horrible mechanics.). I don't go out on Friday and say I am only going to have one blown call. It pisses me off when I do.

I don't know any of the officials that called last night so I cannot say which ones call at the next level. I know that they have members that do because I have worked playoff games with them . I said that on average and experience from my own chapter that most guys that call SC games have experience at the next level.

Its not just three days of training, its a continuous process that takes place over the entire year. Lots of hours watching film on Hudl and Youtube.

Mojo84
12-20-2014, 03:36 PM
The problem is, this one first down call is not the only obvious bad call this far this weekend.

How about the onside kick that was just awarded to Temple when the kid came down with his foot out of bounds. The side judge was right there looking directly at it but called it incorrectly. Again, this should not have been a difficult call.

Believe me, I do not expect the officials to be perfect. I also think their mistakes along with the players mistakes ads to the game. But there have been too many game changing mistakes by the officials in these state championship games.

I also believe there are some great high school officials. I just think the overall pool needs to improve.

Thanks for what you do, especially, if you are one of the ones that do the job professionally and work to improve.

toddg
12-20-2014, 04:37 PM

Now.. That is an explanation! Thanks RC for the enlightenment..learned a few things there.

Tejastrue
12-20-2014, 04:52 PM
I always get humbled when thinking about what these guys (refs) must deal with each and every game. Can't say I would like to be in their shoes. There will always be the human aspect that factors into a ball game.

chaingang
12-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Call me a homer all you want but there were 2 bad calls in the 4ad2 game. Might be others but these 2 were huge for Gilmer. 1. Was NOT a block in the back when Thompson ran back the missed fieldgoal. 2. In the 3rd quarter(if I remeber correctly) the Gilmer db almost ripped the jersey off of Thompson on that huge pass play and there was no call. Im not trying to take away Gilmer beating us. They did. I'm just saying that you have to make those calls in a SC game.

bansheefan03
12-21-2014, 08:57 AM
The block was a good call by the rule helmet hit back side edge of sholderpad and helmet slid to back of defender during hit if his helmet was in front then it would of been a clean hit. The no call on pi/holding was an absolute horrible ref may have been out of position to where he could not see it

poisoned10
12-21-2014, 05:52 PM
Call me a homer all you want but there were 2 bad calls in the 4ad2 game. Might be others but these 2 were huge for Gilmer. 1. Was NOT a block in the back when Thompson ran back the missed fieldgoal. 2. In the 3rd quarter(if I remeber correctly) the Gilmer db almost ripped the jersey off of Thompson on that huge pass play and there was no call. Im not trying to take away Gilmer beating us. They did. I'm just saying that you have to make those calls in a SC game.

I will disagree with you on the block in the back call. I didn't notice it live but you can see it on the replay.

However, I will agree with you that Gilmer got away with a hold on that pass. I wouldn't say he nearly ripped the jersey off of him, but it was a definite hold by Kris Boyd.

If we are talking questionable calls, the late hit by Kris Boyd on the 1st or 2nd drive for WOS was questionable to me. I wasn't upset that the ref called the penalty so don't think I'm arguing against the call. But I also believe it could have not been called as well. The receiver was just out of bounds and I don't believe at the time the whistle had been blown. It could have gone either way and it just so happened that they called it.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Rabid Cougar
12-22-2014, 09:40 AM
I will disagree with you on the block in the back call. I didn't notice it live but you can see it on the replay.

If we are talking questionable calls, the late hit by Kris Boyd on the 1st or 2nd drive for WOS was questionable to me. I wasn't upset that the ref called the penalty so don't think I'm arguing against the call. But I also believe it could have not been called as well. The receiver was just out of bounds and I don't believe at the time the whistle had been blown. It could have gone either way and it just so happened that they called it.

The runner makes the play dead by his actions. Same as if he kneels or falls down. The play kills itself. If you hit them afterwards it's a late hit whistle or not. That said, there NEEDS to be a whistle though. That is the proper mechanics.

waterboy
12-22-2014, 09:44 AM
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Argyle / Navasota game was the kicker for me all weekend. There were about 3 obvious bad calls in that game that actually would've changed the outcome had they been called the right way. I stayed for that game and was disappointed with the refs.

I think after all the poor calls over the weekend, there will actually be some form of instant replay implemented next year in the championship games. The technology is there, and should be used. This was mentioned by the FSSW commentators, and I think they said the UIL is looking into that possibility.

Farmersfan
12-22-2014, 09:47 AM
I've always thought it was ironic that they would even call out the sticks for a measurement when the spot of the ball in the first place is just the ref's "BEST GUESS". Just call it 1st down or no 1st down based on the ref's best judgement!!! People are on here crying foul about the ref misreading the chain measurement when it is more likely the ball placement was off by quite a bit in either team's favor to begin with. It's a lot like the instance replay in the NFL. I hate the fact that they say it has to be clear and irrefutable for the refs to overturn the original call on the field. My question is which "BEST GUESS" is more likely to be more accurate, the real time fast action original call or the call AFTER the refs gets to slow it down and look at it from a better perspective on replay? The idea is to try and do what is the most fair yet I see pretty obviously wrong calls NOT being overturned because the ref claims he doesn't have irrefutable evidence........... It's nonsense!

waterboy
12-22-2014, 10:37 AM
The runner makes the play dead by his actions. Same as if he kneels or falls down. The play kills itself. If you hit them afterwards it's a late hit whistle or not. That said, there NEEDS to be a whistle though. That is the proper mechanics.

I don't think Boyd had any idea that he was already out of bounds when he slung him to the ground. He started the tackle well in bounds, momentum carried them out of bounds, plus the whistle hadn't been blown. It's okay, though. I think it's one of those calls that could've been called either way. There was an out of bounds shove that was worse, than what Boyd did, on Blake Lynch that wasn't called, however. He was shoved hard well after he was out of bounds, and after the whistle. It's all good because we won anyway. I don't expect perfection, but sometimes calls like that can change a game. Fortunately, it didn't matter in our particular game.

As for the block in the back? I saw what the refs saw on the replays at home. There "looked" to be a block in the back, but I still ain't real sure about that one, and I've played it over and over. It wasn't on the player on the front side of the play. It was the one behind that that looked like a block in the back.

Rabid Cougar
12-22-2014, 12:17 PM
I think after all the poor calls over the weekend, there will actually be some form of instant replay implemented next year in the championship games. The technology is there, and should be used. This was mentioned by the FSSW commentators, and I think they said the UIL is looking into that possibility.

So you would try to implement something that no ones uses the whole year into the SC game? How about the 100's of calls that impact previous games and who advances from previous rounds? Maybe good for the SC game but what about the obvious "bad" call "that would be overturned if they had replay" in Bi-District that swings a game to an obvious underdog and Gilmer/Argyle doesn't advance because of it?

Do you give the coach a challange? The rules are already in place for the NCAA with exceptions for not using Replay for UIL .

Pandora's box

YTBulldogs
12-22-2014, 12:41 PM
No brainer. Yes, I'd use the replay for state games. It's in place (camera's, multiple angles) now, use it. Game's prior to state, don't have the camera's (multiple angles) as state games do. All scoring TD's automatic review. Yes, give coaches a few challenges for play's other than scoring plays.

waterboy
12-22-2014, 12:54 PM
No brainer. Yes, I'd use the replay for state games. It's in place (camera's, multiple angles) now, use it. Game's prior to state, don't have the camera's (multiple angles) as state games do. All scoring TD's automatic review. Yes, give coaches a few challenges for play's other than scoring plays.

This. Unfortunately, the technology is not available everywhere. After witnessing several bad calls over the weekend I think they should use it in the state championship games, especially since the technology is already in place. It's unfortunate, but the lack of instant replay actually changed the outcome of at least one game over the weekend.

GrTigers6
12-22-2014, 12:57 PM
This. Unfortunately, the technology is not available everywhere. After witnessing several bad calls over the weekend I think they should use it in the state championship games, especially since the technology is already in place. It's unfortunate, but the lack of instant replay actually changed the outcome of at least one game over the weekend.
How is that?

waterboy
12-22-2014, 01:04 PM
How is that?

No need to rehash it. The champions have been decided. If you watched the games you should know.

GrTigers6
12-22-2014, 01:18 PM
No need to rehash it. The champions have been decided. If you watched the games you should know.
i was there but I don't remember one single play that decided a game

OldBison75
12-22-2014, 02:37 PM

I am going to say this one more time and probably get blasted by both sides:

There were so many calls that were made on the field during the championship games that have created controversy because we were able to see the replays. If you close your eyes to the entire game and look at how only one play affected the outcome you are being terribly one sided and unfair. If I had to look at only the play on the TD and the question of the fumble into and out of the end zone in the Argyle vs Navasota game, I might have to say that that call could have changed the outcome. However, there were several calls that affected the flow of the game earlier than that. The Rattler lineman getting his helmet jerked off and thrown down the field on a nice run that cost the Rattlers the difference between a first and 10 and a first and 30 for example. That player never attempted contact with another player after the helmet came off and was penalized for continuing to participate. Later in the game, the same thing happened to an Argyles player on a Ralston touchdown run and there was no flag. Could these plays have changed the outcome, we will never know.

I am not saying that the officiating does not need to be better, but, I believe that to single out only the Championship game for replays is not fair to anyone. There are several games were questionable calls may have changed who won and lost and therefore changed who advanced at some point. For example, the Graham fans believed that they were hosed by calls in the semi-final game. It is not fair to allow that result without the benefit of replay and then expect replay in the next game.

I am just saying that the game between Navasota and Argyle was one of the best High School games I have ever seen and neither team deserved to lose. But, we both played the game with the same referees and both teams feel that some questionable calls went against them. Yes, one call in overtime was glaring because of the time and situation the call was made in, but it was not the only one in the game that changed the game.

I would say that if you can't use replay in every game, at least every playoff game, then there should be no replay. I also think that as long as the video boards are there and used, there will always be controversy if the replays are not available to the refs. We all had the ability to see the replay from a camera angle that the ref did not have. The options that are fair are to have replay available all season or not allow replays on video boards.

buckeyebob
12-22-2014, 02:39 PM

Bad block was right call...Holding...they let a lot of "holding" slip by in playoffs...let 'em play ball...there were several "missed" holding on both sides...as I understand, they won't call it "unless it effects the play"

buckeyebob
12-22-2014, 02:40 PM

However, I will agree with you that Gilmer got away with a hold on that pass. I wouldn't say he nearly ripped the jersey off of him, but it was a definite hold by Kris Boyd.

Yep...

waterboy
12-22-2014, 03:39 PM
I was never being biased because I was neutral on all the games except for the obvious one. Let's just say there were "several" controversial calls in a lot of games this weekend, and the only way we really knew about those controversial calls for sure was with the replays. If you took out the replays they would just be "questionable" calls. There's almost always those in every game. I say in games of this magnitude, if the technology is already in place for instant replay, the UIL should use it. In the end the champions were decided, and I'm not "trying" to take anything away from the teams who won. Congratulations to all the state champions.

hollywood
12-22-2014, 06:15 PM
I was never being biased because I was neutral on all the games except for the obvious one. Let's just say there were "several" controversial calls in a lot of games this weekend, and the only way we really knew about those controversial calls for sure was with the replays. If you took out the replays they would just be "questionable" calls. There's almost always those in every game. I say in games of this magnitude, if the technology is already in place for instant replay, the UIL should use it. In the end the champions were decided, and I'm not "trying" to take anything away from the teams who won. Congratulations to all the state champions.

Agree 100%

Rabid Cougar
12-22-2014, 06:22 PM
I am going to say this one more time and probably get blasted by both sides:

There were so many calls that were made on the field during the championship games that have created controversy because we were able to see the replays. If you close your eyes to the entire game and look at how only one play affected the outcome you are being terribly one sided and unfair. If I had to look at only the play on the TD and the question of the fumble into and out of the end zone in the Argyle vs Navasota game, I might have to say that that call could have changed the outcome. However, there were several calls that affected the flow of the game earlier than that. The Rattler lineman getting his helmet jerked off and thrown down the field on a nice run that cost the Rattlers the difference between a first and 10 and a first and 30 for example. That player never attempted contact with another player after the helmet came off and was penalized for continuing to participate. Later in the game, the same thing happened to an Argyles player on a Ralston touchdown run and there was no flag. Could these plays have changed the outcome, we will never know.

I am not saying that the officiating does not need to be better, but, I believe that to single out only the Championship game for replays is not fair to anyone. There are several games were questionable calls may have changed who won and lost and therefore changed who advanced at some point. For example, the Graham fans believed that they were hosed by calls in the semi-final game. It is not fair to allow that result without the benefit of replay and then expect replay in the next game.

I am just saying that the game between Navasota and Argyle was one of the best High School games I have ever seen and neither team deserved to lose. But, we both played the game with the same referees and both teams feel that some questionable calls went against them. Yes, one call in overtime was glaring because of the time and situation the call was made in, but it was not the only one in the game that changed the game.

I would say that if you can't use replay in every game, at least every playoff game, then there should be no replay. I also think that as long as the video boards are there and used, there will always be controversy if the replays are not available to the refs. We all had the ability to see the replay from a camera angle that the ref did not have. The options that are fair are to have replay available all season or not allow replays on video boards.

Well said.

WOS1
12-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Most of the calls being discussed on this thread wouldn't even be eligible for review under IR. A catch or a spot are the only calls that could be reviewed.

Snotbubbles
12-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Most of the calls being discussed on this thread wouldn't even be eligible for review under IR. A catch or a spot are the only calls that could be reviewed.

A fumble at the 2 before being down, and ball rolls out the endzone would be reviewed. First and 10, at the 20 going the other way is a big game changer. Use the tech support in place already and allow review for state games. I also agree, no officials bad call's wins or losses games. I'm sure teams didn't score on all their drives that would of won the games. So, teams determine their game results over a few plays blown by zebras.

buckeyebob
12-22-2014, 10:55 PM

Does this mean you were biased before you were neutral or would it be the other way around?

waterboy
12-23-2014, 08:25 AM
Does this mean you were biased before you were neutral or would it be the other way around?

I was biased, then neutral, and remained that way afterward...:D

ronwx5x
12-23-2014, 08:39 AM
I was biased, then neutral, and remained that way afterward...:DLooks like you need to edit your sig. Win state every 5 years? Look out 2019!

bansheefan03
12-23-2014, 10:02 AM
I'm sure they will be playing for state a lot more now with new alignment

waterboy
12-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Looks like you need to edit your sig. Win state every 5 years? Look out 2019!

Fixed..., and we will likely break the cycle of win state, wait three years and get to finals only to lose, wait two more years and win another title.

2004 - won title
2007 - went to finals and lost
2009 - won title
2012 - went to finals and lost
2014 - won title
2015 - win another title:D

Rabid Cougar
12-23-2014, 01:06 PM
I'm sure they will be playing for state a lot more now with new alignment

This is for certain. Dont have to face the Argyles and Navasota's of the world.

waterboy
12-23-2014, 01:31 PM
This is for certain. Dont have to face the Argyles and Navasota's of the world.

That goes both ways, too. When they split the divisions it increased the chances for everybody, not just the smaller schools. I would've loved to face Argyle or Navasota this year. Some years we would be at a slight disadvantage, but we wouldn't have been this year.

regaleagle
12-23-2014, 03:23 PM
If blown calls do not affect the outcome of games, they would not have replay in college or the pros....end of story. The fact of the matter is that human error or bias DOES enter into the equation EXACTLY like we all saw happen at Jerryworld this weekend. To take it one step further, it's a travesty that we have so much emphasis put on crowning a champion yet do not use the very tools at our disposal to help make the process more fair by eliminating some of the human error and bias. It's already a done deal in the game at the higher levels....it should at least be incorporated at the playoff level or championship level in high school.

Rabid Cougar
12-23-2014, 03:46 PM
If blown calls do not affect the outcome of games, they would not have replay in college or the pros....end of story. The fact of the matter is that human error or bias DOES enter into the equation EXACTLY like we all saw happen at Jerryworld this weekend. To take it one step further, it's a travesty that we have so much emphasis put on crowning a champion yet do not use the very tools at our disposal to help make the process more fair by eliminating some of the human error and bias. It's already a done deal in the game at the higher levels....it should at least be incorporated at the playoff level or championship level in high school.

I say if it not used during the season and lower level playoff games then not in the SC . LOTS of plays , not just calls, that would and can impact who actually gets to the SC game.

YTBulldogs
12-23-2014, 04:20 PM

It's coming reagle. Your dead on on your evaluation of replay. It's all in place for state, why not use it. As an official, I'd love to have it. Not sure there is a official that wouldn't. Freaking Little League World Series uses it for their games, why not us? Get the call right, period.

Mojo84
12-24-2014, 12:11 PM
For such games as the State Championships, I believe the UIL should do whatever is necessary and practical to make sure the outcomes of the games are determined by the players on the field and not the refs.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/headlines/20141220-debate-for-instant-replay-at-uil-state-finals-continues-after-several-controversial-game-impacting-calls.ece?hootPostID=e8b415da98dfd81c5776c8e783c1a 510

Deuce
12-24-2014, 02:29 PM
I say if it not used during the season and lower level playoff games then not in the SC . LOTS of plays , not just calls, that would and can impact who actually gets to the SC game.

Just don't understand your logic. Sorry! I am all for replay even if it is just championship game. I have one particular game on DVR that I have watched again after I was there to see it live. Replay would have made a difference in this particular game!

OldBison75
12-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Just don't understand your logic. Sorry! I am all for replay even if it is just championship game. I have one particular game on DVR that I have watched again after I was there to see it live. Replay would have made a difference in this particular game!

I understand his logic completely. After the semi-final game between Argyle and Graham we heard how bad the officials were in that game. You are from Graham and if they were that bad, why would it fair for them to not be subjected to replay for that game if you think that the next game should be. Look, I agree that there were some really questionable calls in several games at AT&T, but, that happens every year. You can't take a single play out of a whole game and say that that one call was the difference. None of us will ever know that for sure. A different call earlier in the game may have resulted in a scoring drive instead of a turnover on downs. That in turn could have resulted in another TD for one team or the other and changed the importance of that last call.

My point is that since there are so many teams from each district that make the playoffs, a bad call here or there in district is not likely to change the four teams that make the playoffs. However, in the playoffs where there is one and done, bad calls could easily have a say in who advances to the next week. I agree that replay should be heavily considered, but I think that the use of replay should be throughout the playoffs where the stakes are highest. That is the only way it would be fair to every team in the playoffs. I really suspect that UIL will eliminate the use of the video board for replays that are controversial or at least choose a single viewing angle and show only replays from that one camera angle from now on. I don't think they will find it fair or feasible to require replay capability at all games. They may, and I say may, require that both coaches have to agree to play at a site that does not have replay capability before allowing a playoff game at a lesser facility.

Mojo84
12-25-2014, 12:56 PM
The problem with using it throughout the playoffs is practicality. It's just not practical in most venues where playoff games are played. Should that disqualify the use of it and getting the calls right in the SC games? I don't think so.