PDA

View Full Version : Early Thoughts on Region 1

Matthew328
06-03-2002, 12:14 AM
Ok here are some early thoughts that I have....in Division 1 I don't know if there is anyone that can handle Everman...they were the fastest overall team in Region 2...now they move to Region 1...makes a big difference...however watch 4A drop down Borger....they were 6-4 and could be a challenge for Everman..I like Snyder and Graham as a couple of dark horses...in D2 Bridgeport and Kennedale will both make a lot of noise with both returning most of their skill guys..with some 4A drop downs some good D1 teams will now likley be D2...Perryton last year's D1 regional champ will likely be D2 and should be tough again..also Lamesa will now likely be a D2 team and keep an eye out on them as well as Sweetwater who along with Lamesa and Snyder make a tough 3-3A....also Lake Worth will be worth watching again..(note the D1 and D2's are just projections...I know that we have no clue who will be where!)

vet93
06-03-2002, 09:25 AM
Matt...I can't argue a whole lot with your assesment of Region I. I think that Everman is the class of the region. I believe that everyone else will be playing for second in DI. Never underestimate Wylie. Coach Sandifer does an excellent job of coaching, plays a tough non-district schedule and has more to work with than most region I schools. Wouldn't Graham be DII if Vernon makes the playoffs? I know that they lost Scott the running back, but I think that they will be strong enough to make the playoffs. If Sweetwater puts things together, I think that they will be more than a darkhorse. I was very impressed with Daugherty at Bridgeport. He did so much, with very little to work with. Having said that, if he has one off game or if his o-line gets dominated or if he gets injured, they seem very vulnerable. I have a gut feeling that last year was an incredible run that won't be repeated this year. I very well could be wrong and have nothing against b-port, I am just not sure if they can repeat last years run. Another darkhorse would be Merkel. They return a strong nucleus and have upgraded their schedule from last year. Coach Flowers is doing a great job of generating excitement in Merkel. An early indication of how good they will be this year may be a predistrict game against Ballinger.

Matthew328
06-03-2002, 01:42 PM
No in the new realignment Graham is bigger than Vernon so now Graham will be D1...and Vernon will be really down this year..they lost a TON.....they will struggle to get third I beleive

vet93
06-07-2002, 02:23 PM
I was just feeling lonely. I noticed all of the talk about the other regions and nobody wants to talk about good old Region 1. Aren't there any region 1 guys/gals out there who want to give an opinion? Wildstangs? hsguru? Whsfan? pero chato? bearcat1? Anyone????

Jacket2000
06-07-2002, 03:29 PM
Division 2 seems to be wide open. I kinda like Lamesa's chances though. In division 1, it looks like it's gonna be all Everman. Althought, Borger should give'em all they want, and just may even beat'em. They always seem to have alot of speed, especially for region 1.
J2K

[This message has been edited by Jacket2000 (edited June 09, 2002).]

whsfan
06-08-2002, 11:00 PM
My thoughts for Region I are:

Division I contenders looks like Everman (tough to beat), Graham, Snyder, and Wylie.

Division II contenders look like Ballinger, Bridgeport, Kennedale, Lamesa, Perryton, and Sweetwater (tough to beat).

VWG
06-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Everman will be the team to beat, without a doubt. Ever remember when Everman used to be a redneck school??? I do.
Anyway, Borger will be a force to reckon with. They were in a tough district out there with Hereford and Pampa. Borger will be in the playoffs, barring any major collapse.
Graham has to reload, but they have some horses to do this with. The coaching staff has been there for 6 years now and they have some players coming back. O-line and Linebackers could be an area of concern.
I agree with Vet93 in that Bridgeport will not be that much of a factor like they were last year. Their QB is talented but they came into the playoffs last year as a very mediocre 3rd place team.
Abilene Wylie, Merkel, Snyder, and Sweetwater will all be tough teams.
I look for Sweetwater to go deep in the playoffs as long as Carrillo can carry them.
Abilene Wylie should always be in the playoffs, tradition should carry them as they bring in new players for 2002.
Don't count out Vernon too soon. Even though they lost Bernard Scott(Running Back), they will have a tough team to contend with.
What about Muleshoe? Perryton? Denver City? Seminole? What's the scoop on these teams?
Does Childress have any talent coming in to challenge DII opponents?

spiderman
06-09-2002, 08:19 PM
Didn't all of Vernon's line graduate last year? Losing Scott won't help either.

Matthew328
06-09-2002, 08:32 PM
My dad went to Everman when it was a redneck school....LOL

YSI
06-10-2002, 01:32 PM
I really think that Perryton will win their district out right. They have wery good kids coming back on both sides of the ball. I do not understand what the big fuss is about Borger and Canyon. Perryton won district severl years ago when Canyon was in their district. They also have beat Borger several times over the past 10 to 15 years. So those two teams are no strangers to Perryton. I know each year is different but adding those two teams to district 1-3A will not be a shock as much as everybody makes it out to be.

VWG
06-10-2002, 02:31 PM
Vernon did lose some key players. They had one kid that they lost, a linebacker, who was a headhunter. I'm not to sure about the O-line, but Vernon usually can reload as most teams do. The Lions should have good team speed, but losing Scott hurts. I think that losing Scott hurts so much that it gives Graham an easy road to a 4th straight district title. It's funny how the two best RB's in that new district, Scott from Vernon and Huitt from Breckenridge, both move away in the same year.

Matthew328
06-10-2002, 08:10 PM
I think Borger and Perryton are very evenly matched....gotta give a slight nod to Borger..being 6-4 in a pretty decent 4A distrct and now in 3A should help them out some....wouldn't be surprised to see Perryton win 1-3A however...

Eagle 00
06-11-2002, 12:44 AM
Someone predict D 1 and D 2 Regional game and
the winner? I would like to see Perryton come out of the region.

Matthew328
06-11-2002, 12:26 PM
Lemme see...if I had to pick I would say Division 1 Everman over Borger and Division 2...wow that is gonna be tough.....I am gonna say Bridgeport over Perryton...just an early guess...D2 is gonna be REAL interesting....lots of good evenly matched teams

Jacket2000
06-11-2002, 01:07 PM
I think D1 will come down to either Everman or Borger. D2 should be interesting. Im thinking Lamesa and either Perryton or Bridgeport. Also wouldnt suprise me to see Muleshoe go pretty deep as well.
J2K

YSI
06-11-2002, 03:13 PM
D1 I dont see anybody beating Everman. If they play their game in the playoffs. D2 well that will be a slopernocker any bodys guess. Well I think I will go with Perryton.

vet93
06-12-2002, 09:32 AM
I haven't looked how the brackets would play out but my guess would be Everman vs. Snyder in DI with Everman taking the region. In DII I would go with Sweetwater vs. Kennedale with Sweetwater taking the region.

VWG
06-12-2002, 09:35 PM
I'll make it a consensus landslide and go with Everman over whoever in D1.
I think that everyone is giving Bridgeport way too much hype. I would be willing to bet they won't even win their new district.
I like Perryton in DII, over either Sweetwater or Muleshoe.

Former Lion
06-20-2002, 04:17 PM
Scott did not move from Vernon he was thrown off the team because he has some serious disipline problems. Good riddance to the turd. The lions will be strong in spite of his absence. No one gave us a chance last year and we spanked Wylie, Im not saying we will be that good this year but we will be in the race for district with Graham. Childress is a joke like always, they beat up on 2A schools in pre-district so they almost always enter district undefeated then when they face some competition the pack up and go home. They are in a little tougher district this year.