Leopardfan201
12-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Close game but give me Navasota by 14

slingshot
12-12-2014, 11:37 PM
Close game--Argyle by 7...

Aggie98
12-12-2014, 11:47 PM
Navasota by a bunch. Bad matchup for Argyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leftypaw81
12-13-2014, 02:30 AM
Very bad match-up.

bearbear78
12-13-2014, 02:34 AM
Makes for a long night trying to stop Navasotas offense for Argyle. Eagle D is very solid but just doesnt pair up well against the rattlers. Rattler D by far no slouch.

orange machine
12-13-2014, 02:39 AM
I honestly did not think Argyle would make it back to the state championship, but they have. I truly think Argyle has the best coaching staff in the state. Argyle is not the biggest or fastest team this year and doesn't have s hole lot of wow players, but the coaches have got these kids believing and put them in great positions to win. I would never bet against Argyle and I won't here either.

LEFAN80
12-13-2014, 03:23 AM
Argyle

Saggy Aggie
12-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Rattlers D not as good as I hoped it would be.... For that reason, this game will be close. I still think Navasota pulls it out though

solocam
12-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Rattlers

Cactus Thomas
12-13-2014, 09:12 AM
I love that both teams are undefeated going into the SC. Argyle has had a tough schedule! I have yet to see them play.

This is the first Rattlers game where I have no idea how things will go. Should be a lot of fun.

Both teams have had a heck of a season!

Darryl
12-13-2014, 10:04 AM
The young men from Argyle never quit. They fight till the end. They've been battle tested all year. Young team, and only gonna get better. They faced a very good Kennedale, Liberty Eylay, Graham(2) team, and find ways to win. Gonna be a better SC game than people think.

lostaussie
12-13-2014, 10:25 AM
2 things I've wanted all year.......For Gilmer to be playing on December 19, and for Navasota and Argyle to be playing right after us:thumbsup:

Weebe
12-13-2014, 11:34 AM
The key to beating Navasota is to run the ball on offense and slow down their passing game on defense.

Several teams have had success with the former, but none the latter.

bobcat1
12-13-2014, 11:38 AM
The key to beating Navasota is to run the ball on offense and slow down their passing game on defense.

Several teams have had success with the former, but none the latter.That is right in Argyle's wheelhouse. Bad match up for Navasota IMO.

Caveman
12-13-2014, 01:35 PM
35-33 Argyle.

Deuce
12-13-2014, 02:27 PM
After last night, I would have to say that Argyle has the best defense we have seen all year. Haven't seen Navasota play so tough to comment on the outcome, but I am rooting for Argyle!

Celina8
12-13-2014, 03:09 PM
I just watched the game between Argyle and Graham. Have to say Argyle has a very good defense, that is very quick and physical. The Argyle QB did not have the best game I thought as he missed on several passes that were more about his technique and mechanics which just need to be slightly adjusted. Watching Ralston he is just a man among boys. Graham did a great job but still when it came down towards the final minutes of the game Ralston did what he has done so many times before and that is carry Argyle on his back. Give me Argyle in this one as the winning streak continues and they bring home their Second State Title.

navscanmaster
12-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Rattlers are dominant in the second half, and very good in the first half. I trust the players and coaching staff to make adjustments week in and week out now, and believe they will bring home state title number 2 Friday!

1st and goal
12-14-2014, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Fedora in Aggie clothing someday...

Bullaholic
12-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Until somebody actually gets at least a 2 td lead on Argyle, and are able to maintain that after the half, and into the 4th Quarter---I will bet on Argyle in any close ballgame against anybody in 4A. However, Navasota may have the weapons on offense to actually stay ahead of Argyle by enough that they can't pull the game out of the fire late. Throw that out the window if Ralston is able to break away and score on some long runs, or Argyle is able to hit on some big pass plays matching the Nav quick strikes. It's going to be another great game that I will follow with a great deal of interest and I am sure, enjoyment. The old cliche that nobody gets into this game unless they belong, certainly applies to these 2 teams. This is another game that I just can't pick a winner because I have only seen Argyle, and not Navasota, play.

HEMOTOXIC
12-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Gathering info...

Rabid Cougar
12-14-2014, 12:15 PM

This^^^^^^^

Rabid Cougar
12-14-2014, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Fedora in Aggie clothing someday...

No... PLEASE NO.

toddg
12-14-2014, 12:55 PM

Where are the bad match ups??

Caveman
12-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Any film on Navasota?

HEMOTOXIC
12-14-2014, 03:15 PM
I have faith in Fedora and his staff to make the necessary adjustments and keeping the Rattler team focused.

It's no secret that the key to beating Argle will be to stop Ralston. Navasota will need to play good defense like we've seen in the second half of every match-up during our playoff run. Going against some good run based offenses in El Campo with Dove, Liberty Hill, and Henderson should help Navasota.

Should make for a very interesting matchup.

Go Snakes!

1st and goal
12-14-2014, 04:15 PM
No... PLEASE NO.

why you no likey?

bearbear78
12-14-2014, 05:26 PM
At one point I didnt think Sota could beat Graham or Argyle. After watching some film IMHO I dont think either of us can hang with them. Theyre just too dang fast and plenty physical. #2 jogs and leaves the D standing still.... I think Navasota takes it by 3 TDs

Cactus Thomas
12-14-2014, 06:27 PM
At one point I didnt think Sota could beat Graham or Argyle. After watching some film IMHO I dont think either of us can hang with them. Theyre just too dang fast and plenty physical. #2 jogs and leaves the D standing still.... I think Navasota takes it by 3 TDs

Any reason you were so sure Graham and Argyle could beat Navasota before you watched Navasota play football? You predicted last week that LH would mud stomp the rattlers but you hadn't seen them play?

The reason I ask is because I feel that you have jinxed Navasota by picking them to win since you had predicted a Graham vs LH SC game.

bearbear78
12-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Any reason you were so sure Graham and Argyle could beat Navasota before you watched Navasota play football? You predicted last week that LH would mud stomp the rattlers but you hadn't seen them play?

The reason I ask is because I feel that you have jinxed Navasota by picking them to win since you had predicted a Graham vs LH SC game.

You had a valid post and question, for a second...ima stay with Navasota by 3 TDs. Id go 4 but Argyle plays well in.the second half.

BuckNut75644
12-14-2014, 07:22 PM
I'll take Argyle in a close one......31-28

Celina8
12-14-2014, 07:38 PM
I have faith in Fedora and his staff to make the necessary adjustments and keeping the Rattler team focused.

It's no secret that the key to beating Argle will be to stop Ralston. Navasota will need to play good defense like we've seen in the second half of every match-up during our playoff run. Going against some good run based offenses in El Campo with Dove, Liberty Hill, and Henderson should help Navasota.

Should make for a very interesting matchup.

Go Snakes!

I actually think the key to stopping Argyle is their QB Rogers. They run a lot of quick passes , outs , slants , then deep ball. In the game against Graham I noticed he was having some problems with missing receivers, and over throws for the first half. If his mechanics are on then he can hurt you and that is when Ralston becomes the real threat. Argyle will 6 yard you to death all the way down the field, then they pull that sprint out draw to Ralston and sometimes he scores and sometimes he just gets 20 yards. It seemed the pass hurt Graham more than anything until late in the game when Ralston did what he does so well and basically Larry Czonka his way down the field. Rogers makes good decisions and they have some very good receivers that just find open space and when there is no open space they still make catches.

hollywood
12-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Great match up. Both have been tested and both have seen different styles of offenses. Both undefeated. #1 vs #2. Argyle executes on both sides of the ball consistently as good as any team I've seen in a while. I haven't seen Navasota play other than a few highlights. But the Rattlers are obviously really strong as well. I'll take Argyle by 7. Good luck to both

HEMOTOXIC
12-15-2014, 12:06 PM
I actually think the key to stopping Argyle is their QB Rogers. They run a lot of quick passes , outs , slants , then deep ball. In the game against Graham I noticed he was having some problems with missing receivers, and over throws for the first half. If his mechanics are on then he can hurt you and that is when Ralston becomes the real threat. Argyle will 6 yard you to death all the way down the field, then they pull that sprint out draw to Ralston and sometimes he scores and sometimes he just gets 20 yards. It seemed the pass hurt Graham more than anything until late in the game when Ralston did what he does so well and basically Larry Czonka his way down the field. Rogers makes good decisions and they have some very good receivers that just find open space and when there is no open space they still make catches.

Thanks for the insite. I have not seen film on Argyle so my post was simply based on what I have heard on Ralston dating back to last year.

We haven't seen too many teams pass during the playoffs. Chapel Hill and Needville probably passed the most out of our five oppenets. Our secondary is above average. Hopefully they will be ready for those quick passes and outs.

teetle
12-15-2014, 02:25 PM
No ones beliveses Teedy whens I says that's Navasota will wins its alls. Fedora he knows whats he bes doin. He gots thems coached up. Argyle ins troubles.:ack!::ack!::taunt::eek:

Cam
12-15-2014, 04:55 PM
:eek: Well it's a good thing the Rattlers are playin' the Eagles and not the Roadrunners!!!...:doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LE78eJx5hg

Cam
12-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Good luck to both teams! Sounds like a good one here!!
And good luck to Argyle's coach Styron!!...who recently took time off of his busy schedule to contact my son (his ex player) and offer him some words of encouragement!!....Thank you coach!! That mean't a lot to him!.....:2thumbsup

YTBulldogs
12-15-2014, 05:03 PM
U catching any state games Cam? If so, I owe you a beer or two.

Cam
12-15-2014, 05:19 PM
U catching any state games Cam? If so, I owe you a beer or two.

Not sure yet YT....I am going to Dallas again this weekend (just got back yesterday!). Gonna spend Christmas with my daughter. However, might not leave until Sunday or Monday.

cowboyandchrist
12-15-2014, 10:16 PM

It is a bad match up because of the speed of Navasota on both sides of the ball. I have not seen the Rattlers or Argyle play and I can only go by what I have read and if the Rattlers have Gilmer speed, I think they win in a close game. I like both teams, they have some good posters and I like reading what they have to say. God Bless both teams and fans.

regaleagle
12-16-2014, 03:51 AM
This has been one gigantic season for Coach Todd Rodgers of Argyle.....maybe his best season ever! It's a very special season for both Coach Rodgers and his son Cooper. Last year's perfect season and State Championship with Cooper playing(backup qb) would lead many onlookers to believe it was a season made for memories for the Coach/son duo. And it was....until THIS season happened. How could you top last season's perfect ending? By having your son start in his senior season and help lead the team to another State Championship game....that's how. And to get there undefeated just like last season, but without all the seniors that team had. Regardless of the final outcome of this game, I'm certain when the final seconds tick off that clock a AT&T Stadium on Friday evening, there will be some hugs and tears happening in a very big way over on that Argyle sideline. This will be a very emotional game for Coach Rodgers and his family. Not only that, but on Saturday after the win against Graham, Coach Rodgers and his wife were giving their daughter away in marriage(to a former Eagle player).....between these two giant games, LOL. Talk about emotions.....just Wowee!! What kind of strength of character does it take for a man(and his wife) to be able to juggle all these life experiences that are soooo close to the heart all at the same time.....and still be able to lead his Staff and team to a State Championship game in Jerryworld, no less!!!! If somehow by some miracle from above Argyle were able to win this game(hyperbole), I'd hafta say it would certainly be a storybook ending to this special season and year for the Rodgers family......not even to mention the Argyle Eagles extended family, haha. And not even to mention it would happen with back-to-back SC finals. Is that enough for all you Downlowers to chew on??? My best heartfelt and sincere wishes go out this week to not only the entire Argyle team and Staff, but especially to the entire Rodgers family. GO EAGLES!!!

regaleagle
12-16-2014, 04:16 AM
BTW.....IMHO I can pretty much guarantee that the entire Argyle Eagles Nation not only looks forward to this first-ever meeting with Navasota for the State Championship, but does so with the utmost respect and verve. "Verve" is a complimentary word in this usage....for all that may be wondering, haha. It denotes enthusiasm with much spirit attached.

toddg
12-16-2014, 07:43 AM
BTW.....IMHO I can pretty much guarantee that the entire Argyle Eagles Nation not only looks forward to this first-ever meeting with Navasota for the State Championship, but does so with the utmost respect and verve. "Verve" is a complimentary word in this usage....for all that may be wondering, haha. It denotes enthusiasm with much spirit attached.hmm..i thought that was an old jazz record label...

Dawgs
12-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Should be a great matchup. 2 premier programs in 4a. I have alot of respect for both teams. I am pulling for Argyle in this one. I just like the way they play ball. By the way I think Argyle is creeping up on a Carthage milestone when we won I think 34 games in a row between 2010 and 2012. Give me Argyle by 1.

ECBirdFan
12-16-2014, 10:21 AM
What team ended Carthage's win streak??

ECBirdFan
12-16-2014, 10:24 AM
I have picked Navasota since they played EC. I am thinking it will be a great game. Navasota plays with such intensity and drive. Thinking this one might be a little closer than others. Navasota by 8.

Good luck Rattlers!

Aggie98
12-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Has Derrion Randle played any snaps for 'Sota in the playoffs yet?

Aggie98
12-16-2014, 10:48 AM

1. Navasota receivers against Argyle's man coverage
2. Navasota's speed out of the backfield.... ala Liberty Eylau, Kennedale...
3. Navasota's offensive balance
4. Navasota's secondary against Argyle receivers

I'm not sure how much success 'Sota's front 7 will have at getting Ralston on the ground.... but Navasota has the vast majority of the advantages in this one, IMO.

Steernation
12-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Argyle will be the biggest test Nav has had all year. Both solid teams. Ralston will have a hell of a game, im sure of that. He is a manchild that gets the job done. IF and only IF they slow down ralston i think nav wins. If not i think argyle will run away with this game. Argyles D proved its self (with the help of some zebras) that they are very salty and deserve more credit then they have got. Looking forward to this game.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Has Derrion Randle played any snaps for 'Sota in the playoffs yet?

1 play against Chapel Hill. He actually had surgery last week.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Argyle will be the biggest test Nav has had all year. Both solid teams. Ralston will have a hell of a game, im sure of that. He is a manchild that gets the job done. IF and only IF they slow down ralston i think nav wins. If not i think argyle will run away with this game. Argyles D proved its self (with the help of some zebras) that they are very salty and deserve more credit then they have got. Looking forward to this game.

How much credit are you supposed to get when teams like Ranchview, LE, and Kennedale scored like they did? I am not taking anything away from Argyle but people have talked about Navasota's defense through out the playoffs and we have continued to get the stops when needed. Argyle is no different. We get the stops when needed and our offenses scores enough to get the job done. Thus, we are the last two teams that are remaining for a reason. No need to give credit. Let the final scores speak for themselves.

Dawgs
12-16-2014, 12:03 PM
What team ended Carthage's win streak??

Chapel Hill or Lindale, I cant remember. One of them broke our winning streak and the other broke our home winning streak. Both were really good in 2012. CH won state in big school, and Carthage won small school. They beat us like we stole something in pre-district.

Dawgs
12-16-2014, 12:07 PM
How much credit are you supposed to get when teams like Ranchview, LE, and Kennedale scored like they did? I am not taking anything away from Argyle but people have talked about Navasota's defense through out the playoffs and we have continued to get the stops when needed. Argyle is no different. We get the stops when needed and our offenses scores enough to get the job done. Thus, we are the last two teams that are remaining for a reason. No need to give credit. Let the final scores speak for themselves.

I think Sota's playoff games have been more impressive than Argyle's IMO. Even though many have said games would be close (myself included) they beat every team handily. Your right no credit needed. Both have showed they deserve to be there. Both teams have made it to the final game of the season. Let the chips fall where they may.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2014, 12:13 PM
I think Sota's playoff games have been more impressive than Argyle's IMO. Even though many have said games would be close (myself included) they beat every team handily. Your right no credit needed. Both have showed they deserve to be there. Both teams have made it to the final game of the season. Let the chips fall where they may.

Yes sir. Well said.

OldBison75
12-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Chapel Hill or Lindale, I cant remember. One of them broke our winning streak and the other broke our home winning streak. Both were really good in 2012. CH won state in big school, and Carthage won small school. They beat us like we stole something in pre-district.

I think you must mean 2011. Navasota won state in division 2 in 2012 and Stephenville won Division 1.

regaleagle
12-16-2014, 02:17 PM
Lest we all forget, this particular Argyle team has been on a learning curve all season. It took games like Ranchview, Kennedale, and Liberty Eylau(very athletic) to help these boyz come into their own as a well-seasoned team. There's quite a few sophs and juniors in starting roles on this year's Argyle squad....so to win every game and still be standing here for the SC means they "done good". This season started off with tight wins over highly competitive teams and will end that way too. There were a few games in the middle that allowed for backups to play almost an entire half, but it wasn't anything like last year's senior-laden team. Both early games against Wylie & Graham helped the team realize what would be required of them in order to keep winning this season. It has been a roller coaster of sorts, but now we are seeing a much improved finished product out there on the field. There's still tons of young players that will need to mature physically and athletically in the upcoming seasons, but footballwise they can hold their own against the best 4A has to offer. Argyle may not be appear to have the most athletic or biggest team, but they execute very well and have excellent speed on the field on both sides of the ball. They will hit you hard, and make stops that leave you scratching your head. Offensively, Argyle can be explosive or just pound you into submission. This is a very skilled team that will be a very difficult test for any team to face. It started at the Jr. High level, then Freshman & JV ball, then in backup roles last season for most. Now it has carried forward to this full season. I've said it before and I'll say it again.....when you play Argyle, you're playing against more than just the players on the field.

Dawgs
12-16-2014, 02:51 PM
I think you must mean 2011. Navasota won state in division 2 in 2012 and Stephenville won Division 1.

I'm all messed up. Seems like just yesterday. Hell it wasn't between 2010 - 2012!! It was between 2008 - 2010. Idk why I said that. So 2010 CH and Lindale!

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Lest we all forget, this particular Argyle team has been on a learning curve all season. It took games like Ranchview, Kennedale, and Liberty Eylau(very athletic) to help these boyz come into their own as a well-seasoned team. There's quite a few sophs and juniors in starting roles on this year's Argyle squad....so to win every game and still be standing here for the SC means they "done good". This season started off with tight wins over highly competitive teams and will end that way too. There were a few games in the middle that allowed for backups to play almost an entire half, but it wasn't anything like last year's senior-laden team. Both early games against Wylie & Graham helped the team realize what would be required of them in order to keep winning this season. It has been a roller coaster of sorts, but now we are seeing a much improved finished product out there on the field. There's still tons of young players that will need to mature physically and athletically in the upcoming seasons, but footballwise they can hold their own against the best 4A has to offer. Argyle may not be appear to have the most athletic or biggest team, but they execute very well and have excellent speed on the field on both sides of the ball. They will hit you hard, and make stops that leave you scratching your head. Offensively, Argyle can be explosive or just pound you into submission. This is a very skilled team that will be a very difficult test for any team to face. It started at the Jr. High level, then Freshman & JV ball, then in backup roles last season for most. Now it has carried forward to this full season. I've said it before and I'll say it again.....when you play Argyle, you're playing against more than just the players on the field.

Speaking of Jr High, this senior group has only loss 2 games since the 7th grade.

OldBison75
12-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Hemo, I wonder how many would believe that Eppler did not even play QB in Jr. High. He was an offensive tackle.

navscanmaster
12-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Hemo, I wonder how many would believe that Eppler did not even play QB in Jr. High. He was an offensive tackle.
I didn't know until the Eagle article I saw today about it.

toddg
12-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Yeah, an he wasn't any good! That's why they moved him to QB!! :)

Aguilafanatico
12-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Speaking of Jr High, this senior group has only loss 2 games since the 7th grade.

Losing only 3 games since 7th grade is something they should be very proud of.

regaleagle
12-16-2014, 08:10 PM

I'm not sure how much success 'Sota's front 7 will have at getting Ralston on the ground.... but Navasota has the vast majority of the advantages in this one, IMO.

Well....right off the bat I can discount several of your "advantages" Navasota supposedly has over Argyle. Argyle is every bit just as balanced offensively as Navasota....no advantage. Graham had supposedly the best secondary in 4A this season with over 25 interceptions and excellent speed....again no advantage against Argyle recievers. Argyle has seen and defeated teams with excellent speed, ala LE, Kennedale, and Ranchview.....again no advantage to Navasota. Couldn't really speak about the Navasota receiver corps. because I haven't seen them in action, but man coverage on them could be problematic as it always is in football.

Aguilafanatico
12-16-2014, 08:32 PM

Have you seen Navasota in person/film? Argyle?

regaleagle
12-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Who is the home team? What about the Gilmer/WOS game?

toddg
12-16-2014, 09:00 PM
Who is the home team? What about the Gilmer/WOS game?north teams

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2014, 09:03 PM

I read that. I didn't know that either.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Losing only 3 games since 7th grade is something they should be very proud of.

Navasota will make believers out of you too come Friday. ... Just wait and see.

toddg
12-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Navasota will make believers out of you too come Friday. ... Just wait and see.Charlie did find that golden ticket!....or did it find him?...hmmmm:thinking:

Aggie98
12-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Have you seen Navasota in person/film? Argyle?

A handful of YouTube videos of each. They're both great teams, I just think the Navasota passing game will be the story of this game. Could be dead wrong.... can't wait to this matchup.

toddg
12-16-2014, 09:15 PM
A handful of YouTube videos of each. They're both great teams, I just think the Navasota passing game will be the story of this game. Could be dead wrong.... can't wait to this matchup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk2 negetives side by side is bad medicine

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2014, 10:27 PM
Charlie did find that golden ticket!....or did it find him?...hmmmm:thinking:

Are you looking for something?

toddg
12-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Are you looking for something?
just wondering why you presume that Argyle will be suprised by what Navasota will bring friday?

hollywood
12-16-2014, 10:37 PM
As the Navasota Rattlers will make Argyle fans believers, on the flip side, the Argyle Eagles will make Navasota fans believers as well. Going to be a great Championship game.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2014, 10:40 PM
just wondering why you presume that Argyle will be suprised by what Navasota will bring friday?

I don't think that I said surprised. He suggested that Navasota would lose. I stated that we will make believers out of Argyle as well just as we have done throughout the playoffs.

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2014, 10:42 PM
As the Navasota Rattlers will make Argyle fans believers, on the flip side, the Argyle Eagles will make Navasota fans believers as well. Going to be a great Championship game.

Noone hasn't said that we didn't believe in Argyle. Simply put, we believe in our team and our coaches more. If we lose, so be it. But, I like our chances.

hollywood
12-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Noone hasn't said that we didn't believe in Argyle. Simply put, we believe in our team and our coaches more. If we lose, so be it. But, I like our chances.

My point being, Argyle and Navasota will make believers out of each other. Both deserve to be there this year. Best 2 teams in 4A getting after each other. I wish I could have watched Navasota play this season but will have to wait until Friday. I've seen Argyle twice and both against Graham. This could either be another track meet or a lower scoring game. I know Argyle's OL and DL are very good. Navasota has more explosive big play ability. Both coaching staffs make great halftime adjustments. Can't wait

HEMOTOXIC
12-16-2014, 10:50 PM
My point being, Argyle and Navasota will make believers out of each other. Both deserve to be there this year. Best 2 teams in 4A getting after each other. I wish I could have watched Navasota play this season but will have to wait until Friday. I've seen Argyle twice and both against Graham. This could either be another track meet or a lower scoring game. I know Argyle's OL and DL are very good. Navasota has more explosive big play ability. Both coaching staffs make great halftime adjustments. Can't wait

Should be a good one.

toddg
12-16-2014, 10:53 PM

Should be a good one. i think it will be better than good..couldnt ask for a better championship matchup than this one!

OldBison75
12-16-2014, 11:21 PM
At this level and in this game anything is possible. Both teams have earned the right to be here and you never know how the teams will react in this big of a game. Both have been there so that should take the shock and awe out of the equation. I remember that in 2012, Gilmer fans were very confident that they could stop the Rattlers and score on the Rattler defense. We all know how that came out. This Rattler team is not the 2012 version again, but, in some ways it is better.

I don't expect this to be a blowout either way. I suspect it will be back and forth for awhile before one team pulls away. My bet, as homer as it is, is that the Rattlers pull away in the second half and win by 10. Navasota has faced the big back like from El Campo and Ralston runs very much the same style of punishing power.

hollywood
12-16-2014, 11:27 PM
At this level and in this game anything is possible. Both teams have earned the right to be here and you never know how the teams will react in this big of a game. Both have been there so that should take the shock and awe out of the equation. I remember that in 2012, Gilmer fans were very confident that they could stop the Rattlers and score on the Rattler defense. We all know how that came out. This Rattler team is not the 2012 version again, but, in some ways it is better.

I don't expect this to be a blowout either way. I suspect it will be back and forth for awhile before one team pulls away. My bet, as homer as it is, is that the Rattlers pull away in the second half and win by 10. Navasota has faced the big back like from El Campo and Ralston runs very much the same style of punishing power.

Good post Oldbison. As for Argyle's punishing RB.. That's not all they have. Unlike EC, Argyle can throw the ball pretty effectively. Their execution is like a machine. Very disciplined and fundimentaly sound team. With those factors, I think they can hang with Navasota and with a little luck, may be able to even win. Navasota should be the favorite coming into this game. You will see the poise and quite confidence these Argyle players play with.

OldBison75
12-16-2014, 11:39 PM
Oh, I know they are a great team and really think this will come down to the fourth quarter with it very close. I just have faith in my Rattlers to find the combination to pull away at the end like they have the last few weeks.

regaleagle
12-17-2014, 12:59 AM
It is no surprise that Navasota will be the favorite in this game. They have been rated #1 pretty much all season for a reason, and haven't done anything negative to take that rating away. Obviously, they have some very talented athletes on the offensive side of the ball that allows them to overcome any weaknesses on the defensive side. I also suspect the Rattler defense has improved measurably since the middle of the season. It also helps a defense tremendously when the offense scores on just about every possession. What IF that didn't happen this Friday afternoon? What would happen if the Argyle D stopped Navasota and forced the Rattler D to try and stop Argyle's offense on every possession, huh? Then would you still think so confidently in that 4th quarter, or perhaps be on pins and needles hoping?

OldBison75
12-17-2014, 02:04 AM
It is no surprise that Navasota will be the favorite in this game. They have been rated #1 pretty much all season for a reason, and haven't done anything negative to take that rating away. Obviously, they have some very talented athletes on the offensive side of the ball that allows them to overcome any weaknesses on the defensive side. I also suspect the Rattler defense has improved measurably since the middle of the season. It also helps a defense tremendously when the offense scores on just about every possession. What IF that didn't happen this Friday afternoon? What would happen if the Argyle D stopped Navasota and forced the Rattler D to try and stop Argyle's offense on every possession, huh? Then would you still think so confidently in that 4th quarter, or perhaps be on pins and needles hoping?

I learned a long time ago that I better stay on those pins and needles even if we are ahead by 14 in the fourth quarter. I have no illusion that this will be an easy victory for my Rattlers. This will be a battle and could very well go like you describe. However, I have seen this team start a game looking like crap and then be dominant for two quarters on offense and defense. I think I can honestly say that I have so much faith in our coaching staff and kids that they will find a way to win. Me and the other 5000+ Rattler fans will be hollering for that result all day no matter what. The big blue train will be making some noise and unless the tracks fall apart, they will keep on chugging along.

regaleagle
12-17-2014, 02:58 AM
I learned a long time ago that I better stay on those pins and needles even if we are ahead by 14 in the fourth quarter. I have no illusion that this will be an easy victory for my Rattlers. This will be a battle and could very well go like you describe. However, I have seen this team start a game looking like crap and then be dominant for two quarters on offense and defense. I think I can honestly say that I have so much faith in our coaching staff and kids that they will find a way to win. Me and the other 5000+ Rattler fans will be hollering for that result all day no matter what. The big blue train will be making some noise and unless the tracks fall apart, they will keep on chugging along.

"unless the tracks fall apart"??? Tracks don't usually fall apart, but trains can be derailed off the tracks sometimes, haha. Sounds to me like the Navasota faithful will be attending en masse for this special occasion. I believe you can expect to see a large Argyle contingent as well. I would also guess a healthy percentage of the Gilmerite faithful will stay to watch this battle....on the home side naturally. I believe this game will attract a fairly large viewing audience since both teams are undefeated recent champs that are known by high school football junkies thruout the state. I reckon those Starkers will stay on the visitor side as well and be rooting for the Rattlers. It will be much fun and totally exciting to again revisit another State finals game for Argyle. Win or lose, just participating in the whole atmosphere is really a winning weekend as far as I'm concerned. WE are the fans.....and WE are an integral part of the whole scenario of Texas High School football every season. The players compete for all sorts of different reasons on the Gridiron of Glory, but one is for the fans. So here's to a great atmosphere and a great game filled with all the exciting plays one has come to expect when attending a game in which each of these teams is involved. I will not even attempt to name a final score or a winner.....both teams are very deserving of their time to shine on Friday in front of the whole State of Texas at Jerryworld. Heck, truth is there will be many viewers from across the nation tuning in to these games on FSSW. But here in Texas we get to see them in person.....lucky us!!!
I guess that makes us all winners come Friday.

HEMOTOXIC
12-17-2014, 10:37 AM
By DAVID CAMPBELL david.campbell@theeagle.com The Eagle | 0 comments

Navasota Rattlers vs. Argyle Eagles

4A Division I championship

AT&T Stadium, Arlington — 4 p.m. Friday

Tickets: $15 (ticketmaster)

Approximate drive: Navasota 204 miles; Argyle 33 miles

Head coaches: Navasota — Lee Fedora 154-55-1 (95-29 at Navasota); Todd Rodgers 131-29 (131-29 at Argyle)

Records: Navasota 15-0 (5-0 in 11-4A Division I); Argyle 15-0 (5-0 in 6-4A Division I)

Last year’s meeting: The teams did not play one another

Last week’s games: Navasota 49, Liberty Hill 26; Argyle 23, Graham 20

Streaks: Navasota 15 wins; Argyle 31 wins

Opponents’ combined records: Navasota 87-79; Argyle 110-76

Radio: 1550 AM KWBC

Harris Ratings pick: Navasota by 4 points

Playoff meetings: None

Playoff records: Navasota 45-28-1; Argyle 32-9

State championship games:

Navasota (2)

Southlake Carroll 42, Navasota 8 (1988); Navasota 39, Gilmer 3 (2012)

Argyle (2)

Wimberley 21, Argyle 14 (2011); Argyle 38, Fairfield 33 (2013)

Navasota (15-0)

Aug 30 Nuevo Leon W 62-0

Sept 5 Houston Yates W 66-13

Sept 12 Coldspring-Oakhurst W 35-14

Sept 19 Rogers Heritage W 49-10

Sept 26 FW Castleberry W 56-3

Oct 10 Houston Sterling W 87-12

Oct 17 Sealy W 65-6

Oct 24 Houston Furr W 85-0

Oct 31 Houston Wheatley W 56-0

Nov 7 Houston Washington W 77-0

Nov 14 Needville W 55-15

Nov 21 Chapel Hill W 49-28

Nov 28 El Campo W 54-36

Dec 6 Henderson W 34-14

Dec 12 Liberty Hill W 49-26

Argyle (15-0)

Aug 29 Abilene Wylie W 34-28

Sept 5 Denison W 42-35

Sept 12 Celina W 41-29

Sept 19 Graham W 35-27

Sept 26 Paris W 38-14

Oct 9 Carrollton Ranchview W 72-42

Oct 17 Wilmer-Hutchins W 65-7

Oct 24 Dallas Carter W 56-14

Oct 31 Dallas Pinkston W 65-14

Nov 7 Sanger W 44-7

Nov 14 Lake Worth W 70-7

Nov 21 Kaufman W 49-13

Nov 28 Kennedale W 52-48

Dec 5 Liberty-Eylau W 45-42

Dec 12 Graham W 23-20

HEMOTOXIC
12-17-2014, 10:39 AM
By DAVID CAMPBELL david.campbell@theeagle.com The Eagle | 0 comments

Navasota Rattlers vs. Argyle Eagles

4A Division I championship

AT&T Stadium, Arlington — 4 p.m. Friday

Tickets: $15 (ticketmaster)

Approximate drive: Navasota 204 miles; Argyle 33 miles

Head coaches: Navasota — Lee Fedora 154-55-1 (95-29 at Navasota); Todd Rodgers 131-29 (131-29 at Argyle)

Records: Navasota 15-0 (5-0 in 11-4A Division I); Argyle 15-0 (5-0 in 6-4A Division I)

Last year’s meeting: The teams did not play one another

Last week’s games: Navasota 49, Liberty Hill 26; Argyle 23, Graham 20

Streaks: Navasota 15 wins; Argyle 31 wins

Opponents’ combined records: Navasota 87-79; Argyle 110-76

Radio: 1550 AM KWBC

Harris Ratings pick: Navasota by 4 points

Playoff meetings: None

Playoff records: Navasota 45-28-1; Argyle 32-9

State championship games:

Navasota (2)

Southlake Carroll 42, Navasota 8 (1988); Navasota 39, Gilmer 3 (2012)

Argyle (2)

Wimberley 21, Argyle 14 (2011); Argyle 38, Fairfield 33 (2013)

Navasota (15-0)

Aug 30 Nuevo Leon W 62-0

Sept 5 Houston Yates W 66-13

Sept 12 Coldspring-Oakhurst W 35-14

Sept 19 Rogers Heritage W 49-10

Sept 26 FW Castleberry W 56-3

Oct 10 Houston Sterling W 87-12

Oct 17 Sealy W 65-6

Oct 24 Houston Furr W 85-0

Oct 31 Houston Wheatley W 56-0

Nov 7 Houston Washington W 77-0

Nov 14 Needville W 55-15

Nov 21 Chapel Hill W 49-28

Nov 28 El Campo W 54-36

Dec 6 Henderson W 34-14

Dec 12 Liberty Hill W 49-26

Argyle (15-0)

Aug 29 Abilene Wylie W 34-28

Sept 5 Denison W 42-35

Sept 12 Celina W 41-29

Sept 19 Graham W 35-27

Sept 26 Paris W 38-14

Oct 9 Carrollton Ranchview W 72-42

Oct 17 Wilmer-Hutchins W 65-7

Oct 24 Dallas Carter W 56-14

Oct 31 Dallas Pinkston W 65-14

Nov 7 Sanger W 44-7

Nov 14 Lake Worth W 70-7

Nov 21 Kaufman W 49-13

Nov 28 Kennedale W 52-48

Dec 5 Liberty-Eylau W 45-42

Dec 12 Graham W 23-20

regaleagle
12-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Hemo....you left out a State Championship game Argyle played against Newton while in 2A. In 2005 it was Newton 28 Argyle 20 at Tyler's Rose Stadium.

Aesculus gilmus
12-17-2014, 12:01 PM
I would also guess a healthy percentage of the Gilmerite faithful will stay to watch this battle....on the home side naturally.

You may be right, but I think it is contingent on Gilmer winning first. If Gilmer doesn't win, our fans who are not Baptists (and even some who are) will go someplace to drown their sorrows.

A friend of mine said he was leaving regardless. Said he'd already seen enough of both Argyle and Navasota in recent years. :)

regaleagle
12-17-2014, 12:06 PM
I'm glad all the State Championship games are now played indoors, because it was a bummer in 2005 at Rose Stadium. It was freezing, literally, with high wind with that winter front. It was a wet wintry mix right at kickoff, then around halftime the rain subsided. Newton was about 90% on the ground, while Argyle was about 70% passing. The score at halftime was 28-0, mainly because of the rain. The game ended with Argyle driving for another score to tie it up, but an interception with less than 2 min. left iced(no pun intended, haha) Newton's win and perfect season.

regaleagle
12-17-2014, 12:10 PM
You may be right, but I think it is contingent on Gilmer winning first. If Gilmer doesn't win, our fans who are not Baptists (and even some who are) will go someplace to drown their sorrows.

A friend of mine said he was leaving regardless. Said he'd already seen enough of both Argyle and Navasota in recent years. :)

Yep....you could be right about that concerning the Gilmerites. IF it's a Buckeye win, a good percentage will probably stay, but IF they lose many will hit the exits, haha.

BB BULLS
12-17-2014, 12:16 PM
i will be with the Rattlers in this one 42-21, but if the Rattlers come out slow and give up a couple early scores it will be alot harder to recover from that against the Eagles and then the score could be the other way around. i think whoever wins the score will not be that close. atleast two scores or more for the winner.
good luck to both teams

regaleagle
12-17-2014, 12:23 PM
From just looking at the records and scores of games this season, it appears that Navasota should be a heavy favorite, right? Most would surmise that Navasota is such an offensive juggernaut that there's no way Argyle can keep them from scoring at will on each possession, esp. when you look at all the points the Eagles have given up in their undefeated run thruout the season. BUT NOT SO FAST there......Argyle's opponents from early in the season(the very first game) were highly rated, and the team was a young team that was a work in progress, with the exception of Ralston and a few linemen. The rest were actually "newbie" young starters this season, so it took a full season for the team to fully develop. And they are not yet "fully" developed as individual players for the most part, but enough for the team to be able to compete with the top teams in 4A and still win. So just looking at the schedules and scores of games could be a little bit deceiving about how this game may play out....just sayin'.

OldBison75
12-17-2014, 12:54 PM
From just looking at the records and scores of games this season, it appears that Navasota should be a heavy favorite, right? Most would surmise that Navasota is such an offensive juggernaut that there's no way Argyle can keep them from scoring at will on each possession, esp. when you look at all the points the Eagles have given up in their undefeated run thruout the season. BUT NOT SO FAST there......Argyle's opponents from early in the season(the very first game) were highly rated, and the team was a young team that was a work in progress, with the exception of Ralston and a few linemen. The rest were actually "newbie" young starters this season, so it took a full season for the team to fully develop. And they are not yet "fully" developed as individual players for the most part, but enough for the team to be able to compete with the top teams in 4A and still win. So just looking at the schedules and scores of games could be a little bit deceiving about how this game may play out....just sayin'.

Nobody really believes that this will be a cakewalk for either team. Navasota can score a lot of points and if they get on a roll they are like a machine. Argyle is much the same way, just a little different approach to how they score. Both defenses have had some issues during the year, but both have found a way to make the stops they needed to make to swing momentum and the scoreboard.

You guys have played a much tougher schedule, but, we have to play who is in our district and have no control over that. Our trip through the playoffs has been through a lot of very, very good teams though and we have found a way to win. This team has believed that they could be state champs since seventh grade. The one thing you will see from the Rattlers is consistency. They will play their style of football from start to finish. They are taught and believe that if they play the game they have always played, they should win.

Any true fan believes their team will win at this point in the season. The Rattler fans are no different than you Eagle fans. Being favored means nothing at this game.

regaleagle
12-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Our Argyle Eagles from last season were told way back in grade school that they would be the first Argyle team to win a SC title, and they were. They were winners at every grade level and even helped the varsity teams when they got into high school. That's how talented they were. Sounds like this group with Navasota is much the same. But nothing comes easy at this level of competition, as most of us already know.

HEMOTOXIC
12-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Hemo....you left out a State Championship game Argyle played against Newton while in 2A. In 2005 it was Newton 28 Argyle 20 at Tyler's Rose Stadium.

Sorry, this came from www.brazossports.com

teetle
12-17-2014, 01:56 PM
takes its froms Teedy, Navasota takeses thises ones bys 2 tds:ack!::taunt::ack!:

panfan
12-18-2014, 09:15 AM
Go Rattlers! Kick some of that Eagle Butt. LH is rootin for ya'll.

eaglesfan34
12-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Listen online to Argyle radio's call of today's state championship game at 4pm on Sportsgram.net . http://www.meridix.com/everywhere.php?liveid=Sportsgram9

hollywood
12-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Go Rattlers! Kick some of that Eagle Butt. LH is rootin for ya'll.

LH is more like an Argyle. You should be rootin for them. ;) Not Rattlers just because they beat ya. lol You're so emotional panny. SMH :D

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2014, 11:23 AM
LH is more like an Argyle. You should be rootin for them. ;) Not Rattlers just because they beat ya. lol You're so emotional panny. SMH :D

More like an Argyle? As in?

hollywood
12-19-2014, 11:31 AM
More like an Argyle? As in?

As in outlyer country school being blown up by city folks! Used to be small but now growing due to suburbia america kinda school. Now you get it? Lol

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 05:28 PM
'Sota up. 7-0. 32-yd strike from Eppler to Dickson, 6:00 1st.

orange machine
12-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Argyle is having to work a lot harder right now.

orange machine
12-19-2014, 05:39 PM
Argyle qb looks very uncomfortable.

BB BULLS
12-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Hemo & Holly your guys are really good but IMO your defense is not as good as the 2012 defense because those guy were bad a$$. this offense is close to the boys from 2012. you should win this with no problem

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 05:44 PM
14-0 Sota, 1-yd Eppler run.

orange machine
12-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Argyle is running the same junk Celina runs and it's not gonna work with teams that have elite speed. If you don't have studs at linebacker and safety it's not gonna work.

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Ralston 5-yd TD run, 14-7 Sota. 7:00, 2nd.

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Argyle is running the same junk Celina runs and it's not gonna work with teams that have elite speed. If you don't have studs at linebacker and safety it's not gonna work.

The fly pattern to Dickson down the sideline is there everytime if the QB could just get a little more mustard on it.

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 06:06 PM
The fly pattern to Dickson down the sideline is there everytime if the QB could just get a little more mustard on it.

On the flip side, 'Sota's D-Line is getting blown off the ball by Argyle.

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Ralston 15-yd TD run, 14-14. 0:34, 2nd.

BB BULLS
12-19-2014, 06:09 PM
watch what happens after half time you will see a complete different team fom the rattler defense

83Indian
12-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Game on

Let's see who makes the adjustments in the second half

hollywood
12-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Working so far! Lol

toddg
12-19-2014, 06:19 PM
watch what happens after half time you will see a complete different team fom the rattler defense I'll be watching..Argyle winning the trenches on both sides..and doing a good job in coverage overall..Eppler hitting his targets very well and getting rid of the ball quickly..should be a great 2nd half!

toddg
12-19-2014, 06:20 PM
They just run it better than Celina..

slingshot
12-19-2014, 06:21 PM
I'll be watching..Argyle winning the trenches on both sides..and doing a good job in coverage overall..Eppler hitting his targets very well and getting rid of the ball quickly..should be a great 2nd half!Yep. Navasota QB and WR are for real. Argyle has made adjustments on D and are controlling both lines of scrimmage. I do believe Ralston gets stronger as the game wears on... sticking with my prediction--Argyle by 7.

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Navasota got a little too pass-happy in the 1st half, IMO. I only remember 2 running plays. Either they're hell-bent on throwing the football, or they were setting something up for the 2nd half. We'll see.

BB BULLS
12-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Yep. Navasota QB and WR are for real. Argyle has made adjustments on D and are controlling both lines of scrimmage. I do believe Ralston gets stronger as the game wears on... sticking with my prediction--Argyle by 7.

ratllers by two scores easy

toddg
12-19-2014, 06:34 PM
ratllers by two scores easy

Maybe.. But I doubt it.. Argyle plays with uncanny composure, unlike most teams at this level..and Navasota's lines better step up..

Roughneck93
12-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Wow....what a catch!

BB BULLS
12-19-2014, 06:54 PM
amazing catch great job young man

BB BULLS
12-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Maybe.. But I doubt it.. Argyle plays with uncanny composure, unlike most teams at this level..and Navasota's lines better step up..

looks like they are doing better

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 06:55 PM
Dickson hauls in a one-handed TD grab against double coverage, wow. 21-14, Sota.

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 07:02 PM
3rd and Goal Eagles from the 7.... Big play here.

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 07:06 PM
Ralston stopped at 2, 4th down. FG try, fake, TD Eagles... 21 all. 1:50, 3rd.

BB BULLS
12-19-2014, 07:09 PM
that was a sweet fake by the eagles they are gonna need them

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 07:10 PM
Dickson fumbles on a bubble screen, Argyle ball. Uh- oh.

slingshot
12-19-2014, 07:14 PM
ratllers by two scores easyReally? Still believe that? 'Sota with -4 yds rushing going into the 4th quarter...

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 07:14 PM
On a 4th and 11 Argyle connects for a TD, 28-21 Eagles.

slingshot
12-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Excuse me, make that -8... does Navasota have a running game? We know they can pass but you gotta be able to run the ball too.

orange machine
12-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Gosh dang Argyle is good. They have one stud in Rolston and the rest are just hard nosed kids.

BB BULLS
12-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Really? Still believe that? 'Sota with -4 yds rushing going into the 4th quarter...

just watch

83Indian
12-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Here comes the grind it out offense of Argye and Ralston. Sota needs a stop or its over

slingshot
12-19-2014, 07:27 PM
just watchMake that -18 yds rushing. Ralston time... just watch.

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Geez, somebody tell Sota's OC that it is legal to hand the ball to the RB!

83Indian
12-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Wow - Argyle trying to give it away

BB BULLS
12-19-2014, 07:43 PM
rattlers just went pas happy bad coaching you got run at some point. rattlers your coach is to blame

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Hold the phone.... 1st and goal snakes at 1.

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 07:46 PM
28 all, 0:59 left.

83Indian
12-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Fumble out of end zone. Sota got a lucky break

bansheefan03
12-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Lucky break for navosota should of been touchback

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 07:55 PM
Navasota may end up winning this game..... but I cannot, for the life of me, understand why they refused to run the football against man-coverage and an all-out blitz on nearly every down.

83Indian
12-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Wow some close calls here at the end.

Roughneck93
12-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Another great game.

Both games were as advertised....

83Indian
12-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Congrats Navasota. You made some clutch plays in crunch time. Argyle just a close call away from another title. Great game.

NastySlot
12-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Wow great game by both teams.

Congrats to both teams

but as a former Rattler I am really happy for that community.

slingshot
12-19-2014, 08:26 PM
Congrats to Navasota... still fact is game should have been over in regulation when the reciever fumbled the ball into the endzone at the one with less than a minute remaining. Blown calls are part of the game though. Navasota 2014 4ADI Champs.

toddg
12-19-2014, 08:31 PM
That was a helluva football game!!
Eppler's clutch passing under pressure was the difference!

Sweetwater Red
12-19-2014, 08:43 PM
Well that was fun! Congrats to Navasota coach and Sweetwater alumnus Patrick Goodman on his third SC ring.

Sville
12-19-2014, 08:48 PM
It was a great game but the Eagles were robbed. First the TD that should of been a touchback and then the TD catch in 2nd OT that should of been incomplete. It is time to use the NCAA replay rules for the SC games.

Bullaholic
12-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Congrats to the Navasota Rattlers for a great win and a SC. Congrats to the Argyle Eagles for a tremendous season to add to your tremendous record. It just doesn't get any better than this for a fan and spectator of Texas high school football. I feel privileged to have been able to watch these two outstanding teams put on such a competitive show--thank you both.

slingshot
12-19-2014, 09:06 PM
It was a great game but the Eagles were robbed. First the TD that should of been a touchback and then the TD catch in 2nd OT that should of been incomplete. It is time to use the NCAA replay rules for the SC games.Suspect the UIL will be seriously looking at replay for SC games in the future due to this. Taking nothing away from Navasota--they played their guts out, never quit and ended up with the most points on the scoreboard when the game was over--did everything they were supposed to do... but it should have been over in regulation with Argyle winning their second straight. Gotta feel bad for the Eagles, they were robbed.

Mojo84
12-19-2014, 09:19 PM
I've said many times, the worst officials in the state are from the San Antonio chapter. It's a shame they were involved in such a great game.

Very impressive game by both teams. Congrats to Navasota.

navscanmaster
12-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Suspect the UIL will be seriously looking at replay for SC games in the future due to this. Taking nothing away from Navasota--they played their guts out, never quit and ended up with the most points on the scoreboard when the game was over--did everything they were supposed to do... but it should have been over in regulation with Argyle winning their second straight. Gotta feel bad for the Eagles, they were robbed.

Seriously? Robbed? Tren took two steps twisting his body and broke the plane while falling down. What happened after breaking the plane of the goal is moot.

Tejastrue
12-19-2014, 09:24 PM
I think the calls one way or another balanced out...lets look at the late int or going to the milk cow one too many times for the Eagles. How about that stupid penalty against the Ratllers for 15 when an Argyle player pulled his helmet off...proper call or not. Nobody was robbed here. Congrats Rattlers!!! Enjoyed the game tremendously!! Congrats to the Eagles for a great season.

FB-fanatic
12-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Congrats to Navasota... still fact is game should have been over in regulation when the reciever fumbled the ball into the endzone at the one with less than a minute remaining. Blown calls are part of the game though. Navasota 2014 4ADI Champs.

I was a neutral spectator, and the fact is a couple calls were missed both ways down the stretch, so let's get off this Ref thing. Great game both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

bansheefan03
12-19-2014, 09:35 PM
The pi call that extended a drive for navosota was horrible call also and I really didn't care who won just stating what I seen I think they should do a replay like in collage for the state games since you have the resources there to do it already and its such an important game

bobcat1
12-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Congrats to Navasota... still fact is game should have been over in regulation when the reciever fumbled the ball into the endzone at the one with less than a minute remaining. Blown calls are part of the game though. Navasota 2014 4ADI Champs.I agree with that. Should have been a touchback. Argyle ball end of game. But Congrats to Argyle on a great season!
Congrats to Navasota on your State Championship! Heck of a game by both teams. :2thumbsup

44INAROW
12-19-2014, 09:39 PM
I guess congratulating the winning team is too hard for some people.
I am watching the game again and seeing missed/bad calls on both sides.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NastySlot
12-19-2014, 09:39 PM
I've said many times, the worst officials in the state are from the San Antonio chapter. It's a shame they were involved in such a great game.

Very impressive game by both teams. Congrats to Navasota.

you don't get out enough and watch games in other regions.................I ve seen some awful crews

I knew some of those guys on that crew and have coached in games they worked.

NastySlot
12-19-2014, 09:42 PM
What happened after breaking the plane of the goal is moot.

this

bobcat1
12-19-2014, 09:42 PM
I guess congratulating the winning team is too hard for some people.
I am watching the game again and seeing missed/bad calls on both sides.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD And you are right on the missed calls both ways.

bobcat1
12-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Seriously? Robbed? Tren took two steps twisting his body and broke the plane while falling down. What happened after breaking the plane of the goal is moot.

this
On that play you are correct.

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2014, 09:46 PM
BLAH, BLAH.. Calls were missed on both sides. Funny thing, Graham felt as it Argyle got the benefit of some calls.

That's part of the game.

bobcat1
12-19-2014, 09:51 PM
BLAH, BLAH.. Calls were missed on both sides. Funny thing, Graham felt as it Argyle got the benefit of some calls.

That's part of the game.You are exactly right. Again congrats to Navasota for their Championship season. I picked them in my brackets along with Gilmer. :2thumbsup

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2014, 09:54 PM
You are exactly right. Again congrats to Navasota for their Championship season. I picked them in my brackets along with Gilmer. :2thumbsup

Thank you.

defense51
12-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Congrats to the Snakes of Navasota!

Roughneck93
12-19-2014, 10:10 PM
http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Navasota-rides-dynamic-1-2-punch-to-OT-state-5969737.php

hookandladder
12-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Hell of a game, Congrats to both teams. Replay would have been interesting in regulation but there is none, Rattlers have lots of talent. Just one question, does Navasota coach dip or chew, gotta love it. State Champs again.

bansheefan03
12-19-2014, 10:24 PM
Refs just can't get it together watching the Ennis game gives cedar park first down after measurment clearly shows they were short

#1 TEXAN
12-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Argyle out coached graham and won tonight sota out coached argyle and won...

Caveman
12-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Difference in the missed interception and the PI call that came on 4th down is that they both led to scores. Congratulations Argyle on being state champs. Navasota will have to live with being pretenders for a year. IMO. I was at the game. Wait till the Gilmer folks get on here who were at the game.

Caveman
12-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Thank you. It should have. These refs were overwhelmed by the environment. If you don't know the rules you shouldn't be out there.

Tejastrue
12-19-2014, 10:33 PM
What??? All this time I really thought Argyle had more than Ralston..but it was not the case...the young man is a stud. I was very impressed.

Caveman
12-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Lucky break for navosota should of been touchback
Thank you. It should have. These refs were overwhelmed by the environment. If you don't know the rules you shouldn't be out there.

bearbear78
12-19-2014, 10:37 PM

That's part of the game.

That was Graham though, we just have to live with it and wait another year. Congrats to Navasota on the SC and the Eagles on a good run.

toddg
12-19-2014, 10:37 PM
i was extremely impressed with Eppler..scary accurate!

Eagle 1
12-19-2014, 10:41 PM
Clearly a touchback when you review the play. Unfortunately the ref was not in a position to see the ball being fumbled before the player hit the ground.

However, if you go back to the 3rd down play in regulation when Navasota intercepted the pass, you have to think what was the Argyle OC thinking when he called a pass play? Just the pound the ball with that big running back and if he doesn't make the first down then you punt the ball and play field position. That play was not only huge in that Navasota got the ball back but also the momentum.

Edit to add: I noticed the Argyle head coach wasn't wearing a headset when the OC called a pass play. DUMB if you ask me. The HC needs to know what is about to happen in every aspect of the game. Maybe the OC is on the sideline and signals in the play, but still the HC should have known to run the ball on 3rd down.

Tejastrue
12-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Come on now..the kid was out of the pocket...just throw it out of bounds...Argyle has always rolled the dice...

Aggie98
12-19-2014, 10:50 PM
i was extremely impressed with Eppler..scary accurate!

He good. But he had some damn good receivers too. They were plucking back shoulder fastballs out of the air left and right. #2 is obviously a freak, but #8 (not a freak) made just as many clutch receptions.

#1 TEXAN
12-19-2014, 10:50 PM
Will have to agree though Argyle did get screwed on several late calls!!

orange machine
12-19-2014, 10:58 PM
Will have to agree though Argyle did get screwed on several late calls!!

Yes they did. It didn't go Argyle's way tonight, but the kids played hard on both sides. I'm more than impressed with Argyle's program. Argyle graduated 4 or 5 d1 players and the coaches got this year's group to perform and win and get back to the championship. Argyle seems to be the next Celina and Southlake great from top to bottom.

bobcat1
12-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Yes they did. It didn't go Argyle's way tonight, but the kids played hard on both sides. I'm more than impressed with Argyle's program. Argyle graduated 4 or 5 d1 players and the coaches got this year's group to perform and win and get back to the championship. Argyle seems to be the next Celina and Southlake great from top to bottom.

Yea but but but they run the 10-1. LOL

Tejastrue
12-19-2014, 11:09 PM
So sick of the Argyle got screwed mentality...stop tainting what the Navasota Rattlers accomplished tonight. Come on guys...the breaks for Argyle were there all season...

Roughneck93
12-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Loved Tren'Davian Dickson's post game interview....:2thumbsup

Sville
12-19-2014, 11:11 PM
You have to be lucky to win a Ship. Sota got lucky on 2 huge calls. FWIW the first one at end of regulation I didn't have that much of a problem with. It was a bang bang play. But the TD catch in 2nd OT? *** was tha ref watching? That was clearly an incomplete pass. You have to complete the process of the catch including hitting the ground which he did not do.

Tejastrue
12-19-2014, 11:15 PM
lol...

Sville
12-19-2014, 11:20 PM
lol...

Not to funny if you are an Argyle fan. They got screwed on those 2 huge game changing plays.

Tejastrue
12-19-2014, 11:33 PM
We were hearing this sort of thing in 2011. Breaks can go either way...their HC has always pushed things to the limit. The rest is history...

bobcat1
12-19-2014, 11:43 PM
You have to be lucky to win a Ship. Sota got lucky on 2 huge calls. FWIW the first one at end of regulation I didn't have that much of a problem with. It was a bang bang play. But the TD catch in 2nd OT? *** was tha ref watching? That was clearly an incomplete pass. You have to complete the process of the catch including hitting the ground which he did not do.
I disagree on both. The ref from the other side had a clear view of the end of regulation call. Should have been a touchback, Argyle ball, end of game.

The other one his elbow touched down in the endzone before the ground caused the fumble. Result of play TD. Good call

bobcat1
12-19-2014, 11:45 PM
So sick of the Argyle got screwed mentality...stop tainting what the Navasota Rattlers accomplished tonight. Come on guys...the breaks for Argyle were there all season...

I don't think we are tainting it, we are just discussing it. Breaks go both ways. Navasota got them tonight. Congrats to them on a awesome season!

Sville
12-19-2014, 11:48 PM
I disagree on both. The ref from the other side had a clear view of the end of regulation call. Should have been a touchback, Argyle ball, end of game.

The other one his elbow touched down in the endzone before the ground caused the fumble. Result of play TD. Good call

And I think you are wrong about the catch in OT,

"b. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent) he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. This is also required for a player attempting to make a catch at the sideline and going to the ground out of bounds. If he loses control of the ball which then touches the ground before he regains control, it is not a catch. If he regains control inbounds prior to the ball touching the ground it is a catch.
c. If the player loses control of the ball while simultaneously touching the ground with any part of his body, or if there is doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch. If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball, even if it touches the ground, will not be considered loss of possession; he must lose control of the ball in order for there to be a loss of possession."

Roughneck93
12-19-2014, 11:53 PM
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/trueblue74/279C4C01-6035-4890-91CA-20AF7357E5C6.gif

bobcat1
12-19-2014, 11:53 PM
And I think you are wrong about the catch in OT,

"b. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent) he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. This is also required for a player attempting to make a catch at the sideline and going to the ground out of bounds. If he loses control of the ball which then touches the ground before he regains control, it is not a catch. If he regains control inbounds prior to the ball touching the ground it is a catch.
c. If the player loses control of the ball while simultaneously touching the ground with any part of his body, or if there is doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch. If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball, even if it touches the ground, will not be considered loss of possession; he must lose control of the ball in order for there to be a loss of possession."
He broke the plane and touched an elbow down before ball came lose. Play is over once the plane is broken. IMO

Sville
12-19-2014, 11:54 PM
He broke the plane and touched an elbow down before ball came lose. Play is over once the plane is broken. IMO

Clearly not according to text I quoted straight from the rule book

bobcat1
12-19-2014, 11:56 PM
Clearly not according to text I quoted straight from the rule bookThen I saw a lot of fumbles the last 2 nights. What rule book are you quoting?

Sville
12-19-2014, 11:59 PM
Then I saw a lot of fumbles the last 2 nights. What rule book are you quoting?

2013-2014 NCAA football on definitions of a catch which is what the UIL uses.

Tejastrue
12-20-2014, 12:01 AM
I don't think we are tainting it, we are just discussing it. Breaks go both ways. Navasota got them tonight. Congrats to them on a awesome season!

This I can appreciate...which I always do with you Bobcat1...it's just I have heard this before...

Sville
12-20-2014, 12:54 AM
This I can appreciate...which I always do with you Bobcat1...it's just I have heard this before...

Oh don't get me wrong, my Jackets have been on both ends of the breaks in big games. I'm just discussing them. That is why I said you have to have a little luck along the way. Luck with health, calls, and bounces. It doesn't cheapen what the Rattlers did in any way IMO.

Since we are using NCAA rules and playing the SC games at Arlington, it time in my opinion that we start using the NCAA replay rules for the SC game IMO.

Roughneck93
12-20-2014, 01:57 AM
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/trueblue74/279C4C01-6035-4890-91CA-20AF7357E5C6.gif

Just saw this catch on SportsCenter.

Came in at #2 on Friday's Top 10 plays....

OldBison75
12-20-2014, 02:03 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, I want to say to the Argyle football team that they are one helluva a group. They were all they were hyped up to be and gave the Rattlers all they could stand. As far as the calls by the refs, get over it. In every high school game there are calls that change the entire complexion of a series or possession. Were there bad calls, yes, both ways. On one series the rattler blocker was called for a 15 yard penalty for losing his helmet and continuing to participate. Just a short time later, an Argyle player lost his helmet on a Ralston touchdown run and made a block at the goal line after the helmet came off and there no call.

I met several fans after the game from Argyle where we ate and congratulated them on a great team and great performance. They were very gracious and complimentary of the Rattlers also. They did not even mention the refs in the conversation, but, they felt just like me, that it was ashamed that either of these teams had to lose after the performance of all players. I think the UIL got it right that Number 7 was the defensive MVP. That kid was everywhere. Ralston is more impressive in person than on films I have seen. That young man carried the ball like 54 times and never seemed to let up.

I know the Rattlers have the chance to be back next year because we started so many Juniors. I think I saw that Argyle also has a lot of youth. I would love to see a rematch next year.

No doubt that this was the best of the Championship games so far and two great teams fought till the very end. Plus, with all of the emotion involved in that type game, the kids played with class.

OldBison75
12-20-2014, 02:15 AM
http://media.graytvinc.com/images/995*620/Dickson+TD+catch.jpg

Ball in possession, knee on ground and play over. TOUCHDOWN

Aguilafanatico
12-20-2014, 03:26 AM
[QUOTE=OldBison75;1854252]http://media.graytvinc.com/images/995*620/Dickson+TD+catch.jpg

Ball in possession, knee on ground and play over. TOUCHDOWN[

No complaints from the Eagles. You guys won, nuff said. Enjoy the championship. Hope we get another shot next year.

bobcat1
12-20-2014, 07:33 AM

That is the play I say is a touchdown. Awesome shot OldBison75!

cowboyandchrist
12-20-2014, 09:16 AM
I watched every down on TV in both games and all I can say is, the best four teams played for the championship. Gilmer scared the beegebe out of me, I thought the East Texas dominance was about to end, but here come that East Texas speed in the second half and got the win. The DI was ALI and Frazer, what a heck of a ball game. I hated to see either one of those teams lose after a game like that. Just for the fun of it, I would love to have seen Navasota and Gilmer play and Gladewater and Argyle play. Now the withdraws start until August 2015. Thank you downlow posters for making this a fun year, God Bless you players, coaches, and fans. I hope you have a great Christmas.

Sville
12-20-2014, 09:26 AM

Nope not a catch. I posted the rule what is so damn hard to understand. I don't remember what down that play was on, I think 2nd down. So the Rattlers very well may go on to score but that play was not a catch.

GrTigers6
12-20-2014, 09:36 AM
He must complete the process of the catch after going to the ground. It would probably not have mattered but that was not a catch by definition!

GrTigers6
12-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Refs just can't get it together watching the Ennis game gives cedar park first down after measurment clearly shows they were shortThe angle they showed on the big screen showed it to be right on the stick and that is all it has to do is touch the inside of the stick

Sville
12-20-2014, 10:39 AM
On a different note it was awesome to see #2's catch on SC Top 10 and the game itself as one of leads on SC this morning.

I know #2 is a JR but class is QB?

bansheefan03
12-20-2014, 11:12 AM
It showed it to be one link short on my TV and obvious the Ennis coach seen the same thing on the field r he would not of been upset and actually it does not have to be touching stick just can not have any of the links of chain showing past football so it could be 1\4 inch shy of stick and still be first down

Mojo84
12-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Then I saw a lot of fumbles the last 2 nights. What rule book are you quoting?

Here you go. Look at 6, 7 & 8. He needs to complete the catch and maintain control even after he crosses the goal line.

http://www.profootballreferee.com/1912/college-football-officiating-101-catchno-catch/

I don't want to diminish either teams' efforts or accomplishments. My comments are just the contrary. I don't like it when multiple bad calls are made by the officials in such important games as to effect the outcome. I wouldn't mind if they brought in college level officials for the state championships to mitigate some of the bad calls. I realize even then, there will still be mistakes.

I don't expect the refs to be perfect but I also expect for them to not make as many bad calls that have a direct effect on the outcome of the game.

By the way, coaches saying "we shouldn't have put ourselves in a position to have a bad call lose the game for us" is just coach speak they say for the public and team. I know inside and privately, they loathe the refs that repeatedly make the bad calls.

I also know all teams have calls go their way also.

Darryl
12-20-2014, 11:30 AM
If you take all the replays that were shown on TV or the video board off these games you don't have fans making comments of bad calls. With that being said, these were the 2 best teams going toe to toe with each other. It was the best game I have seen in a long time. Both teams showcased why they were playing in a State Championship! Hats off Navasota for the win! And hats off to my Aryle Eagles on a great run and season. I'm proud of you guys.

bansheefan03
12-20-2014, 11:35 AM
I think where most r getting confused on the ot play is they r giving the rule for a runner in which case no the ground can't cause a fumble but on that play he never established himself as a runner before going to the ground

Aesculus gilmus
12-20-2014, 11:35 AM
I think maybe someone has an agenda to institute replay at these games and I'll tell you why.

Last year they DELIBERATELY DID NOT show replays of controversial plays. I remember this clearly during the Carthage-Kilgore game and it was confirmed to me by someone who was at that game that some controversial call failed to make the videoboard for a replay.

So I was pretty shocked when Craig Way began dwelling on that Navasota play that was obviously a touchback in retrospect a minute or two after it had happened. Someone had obviously changed their mind from 2013 to 2014. None of these types of things happens by accident.

bansheefan03
12-20-2014, 11:38 AM
And I know u will never hear this from a navasota fan but the ref won that game for them . and I was 100% neatrul fan

OldBison75
12-20-2014, 11:43 AM
There is no sense in arguing about the call. You have to read every rule and put several rules together to make a call like this. A referee friend, from Katy that does college games was sitting by me last night and he said that the rule in question requires that if the ball is in possession when either the knee or elbow touches the ground, the catch is complete at that point because the runner/receiver is down. If the ball would have come out because of FIRST contact with the ground the call would have been incomplete.

Either way, the fact is that this was not the only questionable call in the game for both teams and to take one play out of 170 and say that it was the sole reason anybody lost is pretty petty. Give the Rattlers some credit, they did what they had to do to win. Both teams deserved to win but that can't happen in football. Great game and two great teams.

bansheefan03
12-20-2014, 11:50 AM
I really think replays would be great in games of such magnatude. It would not effect penalties but in turnovers and touchdowns where games r won r lost it would make sure the right call is made and not let a refs one misjudgment call determine the outcome of a game. You r right on the kilgore- Carthage game on the play that Carthage went for it on 4th and short and made it but the ref that shouldn't of even made the call called it incomplete they did not show replay on the big screen but did on TV and it was not even close. That one call resulted in them being able to kick a fg right before half which could of been the difference in winning and loosing

Tejastrue
12-20-2014, 11:53 AM
Agree OB75. I think maybe the Rattler win messed up some pick'em boards...lol Unless I missed it, not an Argyle fan on here complaining. A lot can be taken from that...again, great game fitting for an SC.

bansheefan03
12-20-2014, 11:57 AM
There is no sense in arguing about the call. You have to read every rule and put several rules together to make a call like this. A referee friend, from Katy that does college games was sitting by me last night and he said that the rule in question requires that if the ball is in possession when either the knee or elbow touches the ground, the catch is complete at that point because the runner/receiver is down. If the ball would have come out because of FIRST contact with the ground the call would have been incomplete.

Either way, the fact is that this was not the only questionable call in the game for both teams and to take one play out of 170 and say that it was the sole reason anybody lost is pretty petty. Give the Rattlers some credit, they did what they had to do to win. Both teams deserved to win but that can't happen in football. Great game and two great teams.

U put runner in that first part he was never a runner and that's why it was incomplete. Went up caught ball fell to ground ball pops out incomplete not complicated very simple. One call was the sole reason for a loss also if the last TD was called a touchback as it clearly was argyle takes possession and takes a knee to end the game

Mojo84
12-20-2014, 12:03 PM
'6. If Player, whether airborne or not, makes a Catch in Field of Play or the End Zone, is immediately hit or immediately goes to ground (In or Out of Bounds) and looses possession – RULE INCOMPLETE.
7. If Airborne Player makes a Catch and contacts ground in the Field of Play or the End Zone and Ball becomes loose – RULE INCOMPLETE.
8. No Cheap Fumbles. The ground cannot cause a fumble, BUT the ground can cause an incompletion as illustrated in #6 and #7. A Player must maintain possession during the entire process for it to be a CATCH.
A CATCH IS WHEN A PLAYER ESTABLISHES FIRM CONTROL OR THE BALL AND MAINTAINS POSSESSION FOR THE ENTIRE PLAY.

FOR A COMPLETION TO EXIST, THE CATCH PROCESS MUST BE COMPLETED IN ITS ENTIRETY WITHOUT INTERRUPTION."

OldBison75
12-20-2014, 12:24 PM
U put runner in that first part he was never a runner and that's why it was incomplete. Went up caught ball fell to ground ball pops out incomplete not complicated very simple. One call was the sole reason for a loss also if the last TD was called a touchback as it clearly was argyle takes possession and takes a knee to end the game

I put runner/receiver because the rules clearly state that the play is over when the runner or receivers knee, elbow or the ball touches the ground. As the ref friend said, it does not require all three to touch the ground with possession. Only one has to happen. If the receiver had come down hands first and the elbow touched and the ball come out it would be incomplete. However, because the ball came out after the knee was clearly on the ground and then the elbow hit it is complete.

It is a shame that the game had to come down to this. Two teams play their hearts out and somebody has to lose. I wish that every call would have been perfect but that will never happen. Nothing we say on this board will ever change this game result.

As for the last touchdown drive, I just watched the replay and that is a very close call that could have gone either way. I put it on stop motion and slow motion and can't get a shot that clearly shows the knee on the ground with or without possession. After watching that play several times, the referee could have easily called that a fumble out of the end zone and touchback. But, that was not the call on the field and that is that.

Caveman
12-20-2014, 12:39 PM
'6. If Player, whether airborne or not, makes a Catch in Field of Play or the End Zone, is immediately hit or immediately goes to ground (In or Out of Bounds) and looses possession – RULE INCOMPLETE.
7. If Airborne Player makes a Catch and contacts ground in the Field of Play or the End Zone and Ball becomes loose – RULE INCOMPLETE.
8. No Cheap Fumbles. The ground cannot cause a fumble, BUT the ground can cause an incompletion as illustrated in #6 and #7. A Player must maintain possession during the entire process for it to be a CATCH.
A CATCH IS WHEN A PLAYER ESTABLISHES FIRM CONTROL OR THE BALL AND MAINTAINS POSSESSION FOR THE ENTIRE PLAY.

FOR A COMPLETION TO EXIST, THE CATCH PROCESS MUST BE COMPLETED IN ITS ENTIRETY WITHOUT INTERRUPTION."

I'm more than happy to give him the catch. That kid is flat out amazing. My issues were with the PI on 4th and 10 when the replay clearly showed the DB in position, body turned. and his hands on the ball. That led to The Catch. The other was the interception that was overruled that led to another score. You can still throw either one of those out and Argyle still wins the game. There were just way too many critical bad calls. Read the Denton Record Chronicle this morning, Coach Rogers is advocating for the use of IR at the SC.

bearbear78
12-20-2014, 01:02 PM
If we had perfect refs I think things would have been different for many teams this year. Unfortunately we have to accept and live with what these guys call or dont call on the field. It sucks for the kids out there busting their humps when a ref makes a questionable call or doesnt make an obvious call. As fans it takes about 3-5 days to get over it, FYI. Argyle will be back in the mix 2015 with Graham , Navasota, and so on. Itll be another great season. Its been a year of surprises and excitement in TXHS football. Argyle is recognized as one of the best no matter what . They had a season to be proud of. Time to prep for next year.

Deuce
12-20-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm more than happy to give him the catch. That kid is flat out amazing. My issues were with the PI on 4th and 10 when the replay clearly showed the DB in position, body turned. and his hands on the ball. That led to The Catch. The other was the interception that was overruled that led to another score. You can still throw either one of those out and Argyle still wins the game. There were just way too many critical bad calls. Read the Denton Record Chronicle this morning, Coach Rogers is advocating for the use of IR at the SC.

The pass interference call to me was the worst. Argyle kid clearly had position. I am glad I made the trip to see this one though! Tough to see either team lose such a battle. Almost as tough as me watching Graham get beat last week!

Rabid Cougar
12-20-2014, 01:20 PM
The angle they showed on the big screen showed it to be right on the stick and that is all it has to do is touch the inside of the stick

Fox had a shot right down the line. It wasn't close to touching the stick.

#1 TEXAN
12-20-2014, 02:45 PM
I heard that the WR #2 for sota will be Graduating early is there any truth to this?

movethechain
12-20-2014, 03:12 PM

If this play would have been in the middle of the field, we would not even have to have this discussion. It was NOT A CATCH. Just because it happened in the end zone, the Ref allowed bad recollection or poor comprehension blur his judgement, but good grief, that was just a bad call and NOT A CATCH.

ccmom
12-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Fox had a shot right down the line. It wasn't close to touching the stick.

I have the pic, but not smart enough to know how to post it. :confused:

Congrats to the Rattlers on your SC and the Eagles on a phenomenal season. :clap:

Roughneck93
12-20-2014, 07:49 PM
I have the pic, but not smart enough to know how to post it. :confused:

Congrats to the Rattlers on your SC and the Eagles on a phenomenal season. :clap:

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/trueblue74/125ECB6A-92EE-49F0-B902-176CEFDC06CD.jpg

Mojo84
12-20-2014, 07:55 PM
They even had the stick leaning.

bobcat1
12-20-2014, 08:41 PM
That's turribul!

orange machine
12-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Yea but but but they run the 10-1. LOL

Argyle does run the 10-1, but they run it different than Celina does and they made adjustments in it last night. If you can run it and make adjustments in it that's one thing, but when you run and change nothing when your getting beat saying we do what we do is literally insane!

bobcat1
12-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Argyle does run the 10-1, but they run it different than Celina does and they made adjustments in it last night. If you can run it and make adjustments in it that's one thing, but when you run and change nothing when your getting beat saying we do what we do is literally insane!
:eek::taunt:

OldBison75
12-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Argyle runs a 10-1 of a type. They make it work with skill and athletic ability better than any team I have ever seen. When you have the DB's that can play like they did, you can take the chance on getting beat occasionally. There is no other defensive backfield that was as athletic and consistent as I saw last night against Navasota. There were very few uncontested receptions and even those were pretty much the receiver having one step at most.

The other thing that makes this work for them is the tenacity of the defensive line and the way that Sweat kid plays. After a couple of series early, the Rattler QB was under pressure all night.
Sweat was everywhere all night and when he was not sacking the QB or in his face, he was covering the under crossing patterns. That kid is a beast and deserved the MVP award he received. He made more difference in this game than any other single player on either defense.

orange machine
12-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Argyle runs a 10-1 of a type. They make it work with skill and athletic ability better than any team I have ever seen. When you have the DB's that can play like they did, you can take the chance on getting beat occasionally. There is no other defensive backfield that was as athletic and consistent as I saw last night against Navasota. There were very few uncontested receptions and even those were pretty much the receiver having one step at most.

The other thing that makes this work for them is the tenacity of the defensive line and the way that Sweat kid plays. After a couple of series early, the Rattler QB was under pressure all night.
Sweat was everywhere all night and when he was not sacking the QB or in his face, he was covering the under crossing patterns. That kid is a beast and deserved the MVP award he received. He made more difference in this game than any other single player on either defense.

Whats crazy is as good as Argyle's defense seemed to be this year they were light years better the last 5 or 6 years. This year's Argyle team is in my opinion probably the weakest team they have had the last 5 or 6 years, but when you have a coaching staff as good as Argyle's they know how to get it done. Not to mention the kids have completely bought into the program.

Saggy Aggie
12-20-2014, 10:58 PM
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h419/trueblue74/125ECB6A-92EE-49F0-B902-176CEFDC06CD.jpg

I've been out of state and unable to keep up with what happened. What's the story here. I'm assuming someone was given a first down on this play when it was clearly short....

Roughneck93
12-20-2014, 11:06 PM
I've been out of state and unable to keep up with what happened. What's the story here. I'm assuming someone was given a first down on this play when it was clearly short....

Correct. It was in the Ennis/CP game.

More talk about it in the "Blown Call" thread....

Aguilafanatico
12-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Whats crazy is as good as Argyle's defense seemed to be this year they were light years better the last 5 or 6 years. This year's Argyle team is in my opinion probably the weakest team they have had the last 5 or 6 years, but when you have a coaching staff as good as Argyle's they know how to get it done. Not to mention the kids have completely bought into the program.

A very young Eagle team this year. 10 underclassmen starters of which 4 were named to the All State team, DL Bearden, LB Sweatt, WR/DB Estrada and S/WR Ledford. While Argyle had 10+ underclassmen starters this year! only 3 started on the 2013 state championship team, Bearden, Estrada, and Sweatt. A lot of boys grew up this year and we will be better for it next season.

leftypaw81
12-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Navasota was amazing with the passing and catching. Unbelievable how those boys can catch like that.

OldBison75
12-21-2014, 12:45 PM
There were so many amazing athletes on both sides in this game. Argyle has the youth and skill to be back next year and so does Navasota with 7 starters on offense and 6 on defense coming back. We could see this matchup again next year and I bet it will be just as exciting. Argyle may have to change their approach on offense a little without Ralston, but, I bet that doesn't slow them down very much. On defense they will be a handful for anybody. I can't wait for next year to watch both of these teams.

OldBison75
12-21-2014, 12:48 PM
I heard that the WR #2 for sota will be Graduating early is there any truth to this?

Dickson #2 is just a junior this year and will be back next year as will Eppler and several other offensive weapons.

toddg
12-21-2014, 01:00 PM
Dickson #2 is just a junior this year and will be back next year as will Eppler and several other offensive weapons.

i will be keeping an eye on Eppler next season..was very impressed with his passing under pressure!

RattlerNation60
12-21-2014, 06:23 PM
11 years on here, quietly watching and observing with not much to say, but I can see that things don't really change too much. We can nit-pick every game played this season, and the questionable calls from the refs, but if things didn't turn out the way they did, this game wouldn't have been half as amazing as it turned out to be. You show me an HS game where the officiating crew made absolutely no mistakes, and then I'll say "okay, maybe you're right." But it happens every single game. Bad spots, bad calls, no calls. Would replay make the games more authentic and accurate? Sure... Of coarse. But Texas High School football is about 1 thing and 1 thing only.... Let the kids play. Just let 'em play!

regaleagle
12-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Guess what??? It's over til next year. We have the Bowl games and Pro Playoffs & Superbowl left, though. Everybody enjoy the Holidays, spend quality time with your loved ones, and take care of your health. Life is really dear and there's no sense making it any shorter, LOL. I have really enjoyed my time here on the Downlow these years. I may be back next season.....I may not be, just depends. I'll hafta measure my time spent in other pursuits against my love for Texas High School football. Congrats to the Navasota Rattlers and the Argyle Eagles for giving us such a great game for the State Championship. And Congrats to the Gilmer Buckeyes and the West Orange-Stark Mustangs for their efforts in that first thrilling game as well. It was truly a great season to be a part of. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year wishes to all.

cowboyandchrist
12-22-2014, 08:24 PM
There were so many amazing athletes on both sides in this game. Argyle has the youth and skill to be back next year and so does Navasota with 7 starters on offense and 6 on defense coming back. We could see this matchup again next year and I bet it will be just as exciting. Argyle may have to change their approach on offense a little without Ralston, but, I bet that doesn't slow them down very much. On defense they will be a handful for anybody. I can't wait for next year to watch both of these teams.

Nope, one will be but the other will be the Dawgs, Carthage Dawgs that is. Sorry about that, but don't ever count out a Dawg team that was loaded with freshmen and Sophomores. Both Navasota and Argyle were amazing this year and it is a shame one had to lose. Best game of the finals.

bearbear78
12-22-2014, 09:44 PM
Nope, one will be but the other will be the Dawgs, Carthage Dawgs that is. Sorry about that, but don't ever count out a Dawg team that was loaded with freshmen and Sophomores. Both Navasota and Argyle were amazing this year and it is a shame one had to lose. Best game of the finals.
Yeah yeah yeah....start a dawg thread, this one belongs to the rattlers and.eagles.

regaleagle
12-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Regardless of the final outcome and how it got to that point, the game itself was a dramatic final finish to cap off this season for the fans. The players performed with an extremely high degree of excellence on the Gridiron of Glory that represents the very best that Texas High School football has come to be known for. This game exemplified why we all participate to some degree and support this sport so much. I did not have a son playing this year, yet I was absolutely captivated by all these games as I watched them. I felt like I was a part of the entire process, and shared in some way with those players that actually played in the games.