PDA

View Full Version : State senator files bill to significantly cut number of UIL playoff teams

Sweetwater Red
12-12-2014, 06:49 AM
From the Dallas Morning News

Sen. Charles Perry, R-Lubbock, wants to see the number of teams advancing to the playoffs from each University Interscholastic League district reduced from four to two.

On Thursday, Perry took the first step toward trying to make that happen, filing a bill — SB 237 — which would affect traditional team sports.

“Current UIL rules allow 50 percent to 74 percent of football teams to make the playoffs,” Perry said in a news release. “We have truly watered down competition to the point that 0-10 and 1-9 teams are able to make the playoffs in some districts.”

This season, Houston Scarborough was believed to be the first winless team to ever make the Texas high school football playoffs. It lost 64-0 in the first round and finished the season 0-11 and with a 58-game losing streak.

“This not only devalues the hard work of the first- and second-place teams in a district, but it costs our school districts thousands of dollars that could be spent in the classroom,” Perry said.

“The cost is especially high in rural areas. Some schools in my district are spending an upwards of $8,000 per playoff game.”

Fifty-six percent of the 1,209 Texas high school football teams made it to the playoffs this last year. Under Perry’s bill, 384 teams would have still been playoff-eligible, or roughly 32 percent.

“It is my hope that this bill will help us celebrate triumph, give school districts more flexibility with their budgets and reduce the burden on families during the holiday season,” Perry said.

RPF2666
12-12-2014, 07:27 AM
From the Dallas Morning News

Sen. Charles Perry, R-Lubbock, wants to see the number of teams advancing to the playoffs from each University Interscholastic League district reduced from four to two.

On Thursday, Perry took the first step toward trying to make that happen, filing a bill — SB 237 — which would affect traditional team sports.

“Current UIL rules allow 50 percent to 74 percent of football teams to make the playoffs,” Perry said in a news release. “We have truly watered down competition to the point that 0-10 and 1-9 teams are able to make the playoffs in some districts.”

This season, Houston Scarborough was believed to be the first winless team to ever make the Texas high school football playoffs. It lost 64-0 in the first round and finished the season 0-11 and with a 58-game losing streak.

“This not only devalues the hard work of the first- and second-place teams in a district, but it costs our school districts thousands of dollars that could be spent in the classroom,” Perry said.

“The cost is especially high in rural areas. Some schools in my district are spending an upwards of $8,000 per playoff game.”

Fifty-six percent of the 1,209 Texas high school football teams made it to the playoffs this last year. Under Perry’s bill, 384 teams would have still been playoff-eligible, or roughly 32 percent.

“It is my hope that this bill will help us celebrate triumph, give school districts more flexibility with their budgets and reduce the burden on families during the holiday season,” Perry said.

I'd gladly suffer the extra 'burden' of the holiday season to see my kids have every opportunity to experience something that most of the nations children don't... Texas High School Playoff Football!

Aesculus gilmus
12-12-2014, 08:24 AM
It's been warmer this year, but if last year's weather were to be repeated on a regular basis, I would say it would be wise to try to wrap up the playoffs by the first week of December.

The only game in which weather doesn't matter is the one in Arlington. Even then, you might have a situation where it is all but impossible for the fanbases to travel to the game.

On edit: This would be a good opportunity also for the Texas legislators, who are VIOLENTLY opposed to those who believe there is "global warming" to proclaim "not only do we not believe that - we are placing our bets on global COOLING being real."

The UIL is under such attack from Dan Patrick already, much less this guy, that their only recourse may be at some point to send some "zebras" into the Texas Senate and try to have Patrick ejected for "targeting" them.

Rabid Cougar
12-12-2014, 08:27 AM
He is legislating something that should be a no brainer to the UIL.

GUNHO
12-12-2014, 08:32 AM
keep politics out of high school football period.

Aesculus gilmus
12-12-2014, 08:40 AM
keep politics out of high school football period.

That's music to Dan Patrick's ears.

The only way to keep politics out is to make all public schools PRIVATE. As long as they are public, there will, by law, be legislative (i.e., "political") oversight.

Rocket Man
12-12-2014, 12:24 PM
I am in support of reducing from 4 to 2.

If only 2 had gone this year, my Rockets wouldn't have made based on their record. However, if knowing only 2 make it, then perhaps our coaching staff would have done a better job the last two district games instead of coasting knowing we were in no matter what happened.

BwdLions
12-12-2014, 02:34 PM

If only 2 had gone this year, my Rockets wouldn't have made based on their record. However, if knowing only 2 make it, then perhaps our coaching staff would have done a better job the last two district games instead of coasting knowing we were in no matter what happened.

I'm in favor of this move. It's too watered down now. Back in the early 80s when I played, only the district champ went to the playoffs. That's what I'd really like to see happen again (but that will never happen).

Rocket Man
12-12-2014, 03:16 PM
I'm in favor of this move. It's too watered down now. Back in the early 80s when I played, only the district champ went to the playoffs. That's what I'd really like to see happen again (but that will never happen).

I played varsity '78 & '79....graduated '80, we were 2nd place (I think) both years; if not both, then for sure in '78.

Brownwood was a classification higher back then wasn't it?

GrTigers6
12-12-2014, 03:49 PM
There were several teams this year that had losing records that made it beyond the firats round and some made it 2-3 rounds deep. So no I don't think its watered down. I think you help a school who was a late bloomer make it when they had early injuries or what ever. Now the fact that a 0-10 team made it is the fault of the UIL for having a 4 team district. That is stupid in my opinion. You really should not have less than 6.

GrTigers6
12-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Plus if they cut it in half that cuts out a ton of money for these schools whether hosting or playing. And that's not good when the state is pulling back on its funding

rb585
12-12-2014, 04:06 PM

If they're really spending that much on playoff games, then they're probably also spending that much on regular season games.

Maybe the Senator should also advocate cutting the regular season down to 5 or 6 games if cost is an issue?

Or maybe he ought to move to someplace like New Hampshire, where they don't view high school football games as an investment in the entire community.

CHS_89
12-12-2014, 04:43 PM
He probably never played a down in his life. You want better education you jack wagon, then give more money to the state for education and pay teachers more money. Stay out of sports you dip.

D'Highlander
12-12-2014, 04:59 PM

#3 in their district - Regional Finalist Stephenville who stayed alive longer than the other 3 teams coming out of their district would not have made the playoffs.

Rocket Man
12-12-2014, 05:13 PM
#3 in their district - Regional Finalist Stephenville who stayed alive longer than the other 3 teams coming out of their district would not have made the playoffs.

I don't care.

In case you didn't read the other part of my post, my team would not have made it either and they made it to the third round this year. I say buck up and win your district, place second or stay home.

Rocket Man
12-12-2014, 05:22 PM
There were several teams this year that had losing records that made it beyond the firats round and some made it 2-3 rounds deep. So no I don't think its watered down. I think you help a school who was a late bloomer make it when they had early injuries or what ever. Now the fact that a 0-10 team made it is the fault of the UIL for having a 4 team district. That is stupid in my opinion. You really should not have less than 6.

I just looked at District 10, the one Scarborugh is in and it looks to have 5 teams, which is now really a mystery unless one of the other 5 went winless and Scarborough won via a tie breaker. I noticed that a lot of the districts in Regions 3 & 4 only have 5 schools in them.

Macarthur
12-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Plus if they cut it in half that cuts out a ton of money for these schools whether hosting or playing. And that's not good when the state is pulling back on its funding

Please show me where schools are making money on playoff games. I have a hard time believing this.

Macarthur
12-12-2014, 06:57 PM
And I agree w this legislation, although I would prefer the UIL do this on their own without the government getting involved.

GobblersUnite
12-12-2014, 07:20 PM
I just looked at District 10, the one Scarborugh is in and it looks to have 5 teams, which is now really a mystery unless one of the other 5 went winless and Scarborough won via a tie breaker. I noticed that a lot of the districts in Regions 3 & 4 only have 5 schools in them.

One of the other teams in the district dropped athletics all together which in turn allowed the 0-10 team to compete in the playoffs.

Seacarp12
12-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Will be interesting to see the details of this in the future and it's intents and reasons. Totally agree though 4 teams is way to much. This allows 1 win 2 win 3 win teams to get in the playoffs. Granted some of those teams get past the first round and even beyond but overall 4 teams is rediculous.

Txbroadcaster
12-12-2014, 09:31 PM
I just do not understand why people want LESS play off games

Tejastrue
12-12-2014, 09:33 PM
It's not about the "less games".

JVDAD
12-12-2014, 09:41 PM
What does it hurt that few more kids that bust their tales most of the year get to experience the playoffs? The competition angle is BS, if your team is the best playing a weaker opponent should be no problem.

Gen.Pat
12-12-2014, 09:48 PM
I called his office and told his aid to stay out of football and work on fully funding the Public Schools instead.

Tejastrue
12-12-2014, 09:50 PM
At some point..there has to be something earned. Playoffs should be about being one of the best..not one of the mediocre or even less. How does a kid get something from the team he plays on being drubbed 65-0....playoffs or no playoffs. I'm fine with the top 3 in a district moving on..but that is where it stops for me.

JVDAD
12-12-2014, 09:56 PM
As long as 4th place teams continue to upend 1 seeds let them play! Most of all politicians need to stay out of sports, period! From UIL to MLB, they were elected to run the government not worry about sports.

Seacarp12
12-12-2014, 10:02 PM
If texas government is making this play then 1. It's about politics 2.its about money.
Not sure Rick Perry is concerned about playoffs. They just don't want to say it's politics or money

Tejastrue
12-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Very rare scenarios. I just disagree...but I guess a nice UIL "making the playoffs" trophy helps that young man's ego ...sitting there on that shelf reading "congrats on a great season 0-11 UIL playoffs.

When you think about it...the UIL really is a governing body.

JVDAD
12-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Very rare scenarios. I just disagree...but I guess a nice UIL "making the playoffs" trophy helps that young man's ego ...sitting there on that shelf reading "congrats on a great season 0-11 UIL playoffs.

When you think about it...the UIL really is a governing body.

Wouldn't say "very" rare about 5% in 4A.

Tejastrue
12-12-2014, 10:26 PM
Okay...you got me..."rare".

JVDAD
12-12-2014, 10:33 PM
Okay...you got me..."rare".

Lol.....not trying to be a smart a$$, that is what makes the playoffs great, everyone earns the chance to play the next week. I would agree there should be no less than 6 teams in a district.

Tejastrue
12-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Never thought that....just feel the playoffs have been saturated.