PDA

View Full Version : What does the playoff committee think of the Big XII?

Weebe
12-07-2014, 01:01 AM
We are about to find out tomorrow.

I'm going to speculate that the Big XII won't be happy.

Roughneck93
12-07-2014, 08:02 AM
I think you're right.

I really expected a better effort from Wisconsin, that was brutal.

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/73DKhikCHZVBegN9Rg8BfhyqKQI=/1200x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2525926/loserwis.0.gif

Celina8
12-07-2014, 08:27 AM
I think Ohio States performance last night pretty much ended Baylor or TCU chance of getting into the playoff. They are going to get penelized for not having a Conference Championship game so they might want to change if that is going to be a huge factor going forward. Oklahoma getting beat yesterday did not help.

Weebe
12-07-2014, 08:57 AM
They have to add 2 more teams if they want to have a conference championship game.

hookandladder
12-07-2014, 09:02 AM
I think Ohio States performance last night pretty much ended Baylor or TCU chance of getting into the playoff. They are going to get penelized for not having a Conference Championship game so they might want to change if that is going to be a huge factor going forward. Oklahoma getting beat yesterday did not help.

Agree, will be interesting say if next year the sec has two in the top four but one does not play in or win their conference championship what the committee would do. There are 6 teams deserving teams to playing for the NC this year however it is what it is, OS winning their conference championship game will most likely doom the Big 12.

BwdLions
12-07-2014, 09:08 AM
I agree with you guys. Not playing in a conference championship hurts TCU and BU. Bama, Oregon, FSU and Ohio State deserve the four spots (IMO). Hopefully this will force the Big XII to make the needed changes (because they will probably have the #5 and #6 teams when the ranking come out today).

Celina8
12-07-2014, 01:03 PM
When I think of the Big XII trying to expand I am just not sure there is any quality teams that are within a reasonable travel distance plus bring a strong enough TV market othe than BYU which I think they would be interested. The other is Notre Dame which they are not giving up their independence unless they are penelized for not being in any conference.

regaleagle
12-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Not sure Big 12 should do any expansion whatsoever. Just reinstate a conference championship and go with it.

Saggy Aggie
12-07-2014, 01:16 PM
To answer the question, not much....

regaleagle
12-07-2014, 01:20 PM
To answer the question, not much....

I totally disagree with this opinion.....I believe there was sufficient cause and consideration given all six teams involved regardless of conference affiliation. If Notre Dame or BYU had the body of work and wins, then I think those teams would have been fairly evaluated and considered on an equal basis.....just to give an example.

NastySlot
12-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Isn't ND a partial member of the ACC?

Saggy Aggie
12-07-2014, 01:38 PM
I totally disagree with this opinion.....I believe there was sufficient cause and consideration given all six teams involved regardless of conference affiliation. If Notre Dame or BYU had the body of work and wins, then I think those teams would have been fairly evaluated and considered on an equal basis.....just to give an example.

You're right, they thought enough of them to leave them out :thumbsup:

PhiI C
12-07-2014, 01:41 PM
The problem is they didn't have enough playoff teams added. You need at least the 8 top teams rather than 4. Controversy over No. 8 is much better than No. 4. Heck if the NFL had this system the Giants would not have won the Super Bowl a few years ago because they would not have made the playoffs.

regaleagle
12-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Obviously, the Big 12 has some issues at hand to consider going forward, but it may be all moot if the playoff format were to be enlarged to include 8 teams, imo. I truly believe an 8 team playoff format would prove to be the very best system that would clear up many of these first year issues going forward.

Bullaholic
12-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I want a TCU-Baylor Cotton Bowl re-match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BwdLions
12-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Not sure Big 12 should do any expansion whatsoever. Just reinstate a conference championship and go with it.

That's true. They could still have a conference championship with ten teams. They would have to figure out a way to split the teams into two divisions. The problem is having four Texas teams in one division. To me that's a problem. That's one reason the Southwest Conference folded. You had all Texas teams after Arkansas left.

BwdLions
12-07-2014, 02:04 PM
I want a TCU-Baylor Cotton Bowl re-match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That'd be a good game. However, that's a Big XII vs SEC game.

YTBulldogs
12-07-2014, 03:32 PM
The "ESPN Effect" from former Buckeye's Kirk Herbstreet and Robert Smith was too powerful for Baylor or TCU to overcome. As OSU was kicking Wisc butt, all the game breaks had these two homers stating OSU should jump Baylor and Frogs. 12 hours of this constant homer hype from the ESPN studios in Bristol, too much--and I'm sure sunk in the committee's heads.

NastySlot
12-07-2014, 04:28 PM
The "ESPN Effect" from former Buckeye's Kirk Herbstreet and Robert Smith was too powerful for Baylor or TCU to overcome. As OSU was kicking Wisc butt, all the game breaks had these two homers stating OSU should jump Baylor and Frogs. 12 hours of this constant homer hype from the ESPN studios in Bristol, too much--and I'm sure sunk in the committee's heads.

IMO the committee realized they messed up moving TCU to 3 last week...maybe 4 but not 3. They jumped the gun by counting tOSU out when their QB went down.

If they had just put TCU at 4 last week then Baylor jumps them after what took place yesterday.

The Buckeyes had a lot to prove AS A Team yesterday from the previous weeks ranking snub. So it might have all ended up the same anyway.

that extra game also with a championship is big.

Weebe
12-07-2014, 08:00 PM
Again, NCAA rules prohibit a conference championship game with less than 12 teams in a conference.

And Notre Dame isn't going to the Big XII. They would have much better options if they chose to join a conference.

Weebe
12-07-2014, 08:07 PM
I also think this had less to do with the lack of a conference championship game than it did the committee thinking the Big XII is the weakest of the 5 power conferences.

I mean, there were 6 one loss teams out of those conferences(2 being from the Big XII) and the Big XII teams were the only ones left out.

hookandladder
12-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Does it really matter if no Texas team makes it into the playoffs what conference your in, like Patterson of TCU said. Don't lose, pretty simple. ATM is no better or worse then any other Texas team if they cannot ever make it to the playoffs, win or go home. Stop the bitching, sounds like freaking little league parents.

1st and goal
12-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Does it really matter if no Texas team makes it into the playoffs what conference your in, like Patterson of TCU said. Don't lose, pretty simple. ATM is no better or worse then any other Texas team if they cannot ever make it to the playoffs, win or go home. Stop the bitching, sounds like freaking little league parents.

I hear you were "THAT LITTLE LEAGUE PARENT". At least that's what peeps from LG tell me.

hookandladder
12-07-2014, 09:50 PM
I hear you were "THAT LITTLE LEAGUE PARENT". At least that's what peeps from LG tell me.

Your peeps are flat ass liars, what you expect from your friends. Little league sucks, I am betting you were a major little leaguer. Lol

New Taiton
12-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Blame the Big 12's snub squarely on Commissioner Bowlsby.

For roughly one year, we have heard that the Big 12 was going to crown one true champion. Moreover, Mr. Bowlsby is on record saying that in the event of a tie, the head to head matchup of the two teams will be used to determine the conference championship.

Instead, Bowlsby introduces "co-champions" to the selection committee which sealed the fate of the Big 12. Had Texas or OU been in the conversation yesterday, at least one of them, and possibly both of them, would have gotten in the playoff. Unfortunately, the former doormat of college football and a former mid-major didn't have a chance thanks to Mr. Bowlsby.