PDA

View Full Version : Player Unit Nicknames

Bullaholic
11-25-2014, 10:29 AM
I don't want to take away from Rd3 of the playoffs, but it is a long time until Friday, and I thought you might enjoy a thread in which you can post the name of various team offense/defense unit nicknames from Pro, College, and especially high school teams, with maybe a little history on the name origin and meaning.

GreenMonster
11-25-2014, 10:45 AM
I don't want to take away from Rd3 of the playoffs, but it is a long time until Friday, and I thought you might enjoy a thread in which you can post the name of various team offense/defense unit nicknames from Pro, College, and especially high school teams, with maybe a little history on the name origin and meaning.

Purple People Eaters- Late 60's to mid 70's Minnesota Viking defense. Originated after a team field trip to area 51 where Alan Page cooked, cut up, and ate whole a little purple man! Serious! That's how it really happened! No kidding! Ask anyone!

caleb_mccaig
11-25-2014, 11:19 AM
My senior year our second-string offense saw a lot of time late in games. Everyone called them the "Fourth Quarter Freight Train". I don't think they scored a touchdown all season, but it gave them hope.

Bullaholic
11-25-2014, 11:25 AM
I like to refer to the Bulls offense as the "El Toro" offense when the Bulls get really rolling---hasn't really caught on yet---that has to come from the players or coaches, but I enjoy using the reference.

Sweetwater Red
11-25-2014, 11:28 AM
The Pony Express - used by many including Sweetwater. Also, the name of our school newspaper
or it was 25 years ago anyway.

Bullaholic
11-25-2014, 11:37 AM
The Pony Express - used by many including Sweetwater. Also, the name of our school newspaper
or it was 25 years ago anyway.

And so far this season the Mustangs have been the non-stop, coast-to-coast Pony Express bullet train, Red...

Sweetwater Red
11-25-2014, 11:39 AM
And so far this season the Mustangs have been the non-stop, coast-to-coast Pony Express bullet train, Red...

Yep, so far so good. Next stop, Mineral Wells Depot. lol

buckeyebob
11-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Gilmer Buckeyes Black Flag Defense...the have a new Black Flag every year...defeated teams have their name & score placed on the flag...got 'em going back years with a lot of good teams one it...they are the "Black Flag"

toddg
11-25-2014, 02:07 PM
if you played the 2011 Indians..than you met the Darkside Defense...

d0tc0m
11-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Gilmer Buckeyes Black Flag Defense...the have a new Black Flag every year...defeated teams have their name & score placed on the flag...got 'em going back years with a lot of good teams one it...they are the "Black Flag"

I was talking to my little brothers-in-law (from Branson, MO) a little earlier this year, and we were talking about cool team/player nicknames and stuff. And I was telling them how when I was in high school Celina's defense was called 'The Orange Crush.' And I was telling them a few others, and they thought Gilmer's 'Black Flag Defense' was by far the coolest/most intimidating name of all the ones I told them about.

It is a pretty dang sweet nickname.

waterboy
11-25-2014, 03:20 PM
I was talking to my little brothers-in-law (from Branson, MO) a little earlier this year, and we were talking about cool team/player nicknames and stuff. And I was telling them how when I was in high school Celina's defense was called 'The Orange Crush.' And I was telling them a few others, and they thought Gilmer's 'Black Flag Defense' was by far the coolest/most intimidating name of all the ones I told them about.

It is a pretty dang sweet nickname.

Never surrender... No quarter... Fight until death!

...Or at least until the horn sounds at the end of the 4th quarter...:)

Rabid Cougar
11-25-2014, 03:25 PM

NOT Cameron's. :redxpoke:

Steernation
11-25-2014, 03:27 PM
My senior year (2012-2013) Graham had a 100% beef package on the D-Line. (two largest most physical players at DTs)

d0tc0m
11-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Never surrender... No quarter... Fight until death!

...Or at least until the horn sounds at the end of the 4th quarter...:)

And this is why they thought it was so cool! Once I explained to them what the Black Flag symbolized, they were all in on that nickname haha.

Aguilafanatico
11-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Argyle OLine = Mauck's Army. Former longtime NFL player and coach Carl Mauck is a huge supporting of Argyle athletics and is a great sounding board (albeit a loud one sometimes) for the athletes.

waterboy
11-25-2014, 03:39 PM
NOT Cameron's. :redxpoke:

Nope. We've only played once, and that was a long time before the Buckeyes adopted the "Black Flag Defense" moniker. We only started using the "Flag" in the Jeff Traylor era. Play us now and see how that works out for ya!:wave::D

What the heck is a Yoeman, anyway?:confused:

Bullaholic
11-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Name the teams and/or history/origins associated with these team nicknames:

Steel Curtain
Doomsday
The Hogs
Black Shirts
Chinese Bandits
Killer B's

Aggie98
11-25-2014, 03:54 PM

Steel Curtain - Steelers
Doomsday - Cowboys
The Hogs - Redskins
Black Shirts - Nebraska
Chinese Bandits - No freaking idea
Killer B's - Astros

No clue about Chinese Bandits.

Bullaholic
11-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Here's a clue to Chinese Bandits---Billy Cannon-- although not a member of the Chinese Bandits. There was also another team that used Killer B's.

jason
11-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Apparently the Stephenville Defense is the "Wet Paper Bags"

Bullaholic
11-25-2014, 04:22 PM

LOl. You are going to be excommunicated....:D

RPF2666
11-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Here's a clue to Chinese Bandits---Billy Cannon-- although not a member of the Chinese Bandits. There was also another team that used Killer B's.

Miami Dolphins... Original Killer B's

WOS1
11-25-2014, 06:50 PM
WOS defense- "The Chain Gang"

Ville-D
11-25-2014, 06:57 PM
With a title that contains "Unit Nicknames", I figured Cam would be all over this thread.

Bullaholic
11-25-2014, 07:05 PM
With a title that contains "Unit Nicknames", I figured Cam would be all over this thread.

LOL--Goodness knows that Cam, bless his heart, needs no excuse to talk about bodily functions or parts...

Tejastrue
11-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Denver Broncos "Orange Crush"

Tejastrue
11-25-2014, 07:33 PM

Steel Curtain
Doomsday
The Hogs
Black Shirts
Chinese Bandits
Killer B's

Steelers defense
Cowboys defense
Redskins O-line
?
?
Dolphins defense

without looking anything up...

hollywood
11-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Argyle OLine = Mauck's Army. Former longtime NFL player and coach Carl Mauck is a huge supporting of Argyle athletics and is a great sounding board (albeit a loud one sometimes) for the athletes.

Is he the fan that sits on the 50 yard line with a sweat towel draped over his shoulder shaking a huge noise maker? And continuously chants "Give it to #22!"

hollywood
11-25-2014, 08:08 PM

He hasn't seen it yet.. No way. He'd be all over it.

buckeyebob
11-25-2014, 08:45 PM

Steel Curtain
Doomsday
The Hogs
Black Shirts
Chinese Bandits
Killer B's

Sand Crab

buckeyebob
11-25-2014, 08:49 PM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/cats/firing-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Bullaholic
11-25-2014, 08:53 PM
No clue about Chinese Bandits.

Here ya go:

http://vegas68.com/lsu/Bandits.html

Bullaholic
11-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Some more nicknames--some are for entire teams:

Monsters of the Midway
America's Team
Greatest Show on Turf
The Fun Bunch

Eagle Nation
11-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Is he the fan that sits on the 50 yard line with a sweat towel draped over his shoulder shaking a huge noise maker? And continuously chants "Give it to #22!"

Mr. Mauck is older man on the sidelines at every game. The fan shaking the noise maker is Mr. Muns.

Argyle defense - the Black Swarm

mac77
11-25-2014, 10:25 PM
When I was still coaching a few years back, our head coach named our regular punt team "Dallas", cause he said, "No one punts more than Dallas!" When it came time to punt, everyone on the sideline would scream "DALLAS!" to alert the punt team to go in the game. More than once our opponents thought some kind of trick was coming.

waterboy
11-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Our special teams are the "Navy Seals".

44INAROW
11-26-2014, 10:24 AM
He hasn't seen it yet.. No way. He'd be all over it.

LOL I'm glad I wasn't the only one with the dirty mind :2thumbsup