PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater Mustangs (12-0) vs. Vernon Lions (8-4) - regional round matchup

Sweetwater Red
11-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Sweetwater and Vernon have become very familiar with each other over the last
fifteen years having scrimmaged one another for most of Kent Jackson's tenure
here, playing a couple of regular season games (one of which was cancelled due
to lightening midway through the first quarter) and meeting in the playoffs in
2003, 2006 and 2007 with Vernon winning all three.

I got a chance to watch Vernon play ten days ago at Mustang Bowl and can
tell you they matchup very well against the Mustangs. The Mustangs
offensive and defensive lines are undersized but have been able to make for
that with their speed and athleticism. That won't be easy to do against the
Lions. Also, their secondary is probably the best the Mustangs have seen
so far this year. They have fast corners and a tall free safety that plays
'centerfield' very well.

It should be a great match up and for some reason I have a feeling this
may be a low scoring game. If it is then that would favor Vernon but hopefully
Sweetwater can contain the Lions run game and force them to do
something they're not as good at and that's pass the ball. If they do that then
Sweetwater just might win this one.

The game will be played at 2pm in Mineral Wells Friday at Ram Stadium. I took
a few pics when I passed though there on my way back from Arlington. It's
a new stadium that was just built in 2008. I'll try to post the pics after lunch.

How they got here

Sweetwater-

Beat Lubbock High 66-35
Beat Muleshoe 32-27
Beat Breckenridge W 36-23
Beat Snyder 58-40
Beat Andrews 62-48
Beat Fort Stockton 34-28
Beat Midland Greenwood 41-13
Beat Monahans 63-34
Beat Pecos 44-8
Beat Lamesa 57-6
Beat Perryton 50-13 (bi-district)
Beat Bridgeport 46-14 (area)

Vernon-

Lost to Graham 21-45
Lost to Altus, OK 13-20
Beat Burkburnett 41-7
Beat Wichita Falls Hirschi 47-12
Lost to Springtown 26-33
Lost Abilene Wylie 13-21
Beat Dalhart 48-0
Beat Bushland 56-14
Beat Perryton 62-32
Beat Iowa Park 34-14
Beat Fort Stockton 43-18 (bi-district)
Beat Krum 52-14 (area)

BwdLions
11-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Vernon has turned out to be a pretty good team, but Sweetwater has a very impressive resume. I think the Stangs win this on by two TDs.

Sweetwater Red
11-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Vernon has turned out to be a pretty good team, but Sweetwater has a very impressive resume. I think the Stangs win this on by two TDs.

Yes they have. Their non-district schedule really catches my eye. Sure they got blown out by Graham in the first game
of the year but Wylie only beat them by 8.

LoboesWT
11-24-2014, 12:53 PM
SW was the best team next to Celina we played all year. Vernon can run the ball well and if they can keep that offense of SW of the field they will win. SW can score quickly, they have some of that East Texas Speed and the receivers were the best I have seen as a group if a while. They are not afraid to catch knowing contact is coming. I go with SW in this one, but Vernon will make it a good game.

pirate4state
11-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Go Sweetwater!

Bullaholic
11-24-2014, 01:26 PM
I think this one comes down to whether or not the Lion defense can cover well and long enough for the rush to get there, and whether or not the Mustang defense can stop the Lion rushing attack. If the Lions can match the Mustang speed just enough, and overpower the Mustangs physically then they probably win. If they can't, I think they will suffer the fate of the other 11 Mustang opponents. I'm going with the Mustangs by 7-10 in a shootout, but won't count the Lions out in a low/medium scoring game.

Red&White_9x5
11-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Everyone by now knows our offense is high powered and can score some points. This game will come down to our defense in my opinion. Our defense has improved drastically over this season but we will need their best effort this week. If Vernon is allowed to go on 12-15 play drives and eat up clock this will be a dogfight. The only way we don't score 40+ is if we don't have the ball enough to do so. If that is the case this game will be too close for comfort. I'm excited about this Friday and feel our season will extend

SintonFan_inAustin
11-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Sweetwater keeps rolling

Sweetwater Red
11-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Our defense has improved drastically over this season but we will need their best effort this week.

It really has. What most don't know and I haven't talked about on here is that our defense starts 8 or 9 underclassmen. They have really grown
as a unit over these 12 games and should be a force next year for sure.

NORTH TEXAS 55
11-24-2014, 03:41 PM
My understanding that Vernon was hit hard by injuries last week...qb,def end and a running back. Not sure how many of them , if any, will be available Friday.

hollywood
11-24-2014, 03:43 PM
My understanding that Vernon was hit hard by injuries last week...qb,def end and a running back. Not sure how many of them , if any, will be available Friday.

If true.. Hate to hear that for any team. Team health is vital in the playoffs and especially at this classification. Hope the injured can heal in time for kickoff!

Eagle1
11-24-2014, 10:10 PM
If true.. Hate to hear that for any team. Team health is vital in the playoffs and especially at this classification. Hope the injured can heal in time for kickoff!

Hope both sides are healthy this should be great game. There are some really good games this week WOS, Graham! Gilmer, Cuero. Those along with this one will all be great games.

garciap77
11-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Sweetwater! :cheerl:

Sweetwater Red
11-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Just got word that Sweetwater is the home team.

Sweetwater Red
11-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Here is our highlight video vs. Bridgeport for those interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jYvQJT3CEE

slingshot
11-25-2014, 07:31 PM
Sweetwater rolls. Vernon is decent but I think the Mustangs will pull away late--too much speed. We honestly prob had our second worst performance of the year against Vernon--the worst was against Graham, but we fix that Friday night.

Red&White_9x5
11-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Great job Red

Sweetwater Red
11-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Great job Red

I don't film the games. It's another Sweetwater alum. His name is Kevin Wright.
All of Sweetwater's highlight videos are posted on the Facebook team page and
youtube if you want to check those out.

Sweetwater Red
11-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Sweetwater rolls. Vernon is decent but I think the Mustangs will pull away late--too much speed. We honestly prob had our second worst performance of the year against Vernon--the worst was against Graham, but we fix that Friday night.

I sure hope so. Would really like to make it back to the quarters and beyond.

I read the AW/Vernon article in the ARN yesterday. They said Wylie was really
out of sync in the first half but got it together in the second I believe.

Sweetwater Red
11-26-2014, 09:54 AM
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/sports/high-school/fbh_vernon-feature-1125_33031600

VERNON — Forty-eight.

That’s the number of football games the Vernon Lions will have played over the past four seasons heading into Friday’s Region I-4A Division II regional contest against Sweetwater.

Anytime a high-school football program plays almost five regular seasons worth of games in just four seasons, it is impressive.

What’s more impressive, especially in Class 4A and above, is if you glance at the Lions’ roster in all 48 football programs, you’ll find two names every single time — Zack McMahen and Heath Dunson — two linebackers who have started for Vernon since they were freshmen.

Making the varsity team, much less starting as freshmen, was not something on the minds of the two 14-year-olds as they headed into their first season of two-a-day workouts back in 2011. Putting them on varsity wasn’t on the mind of the Vernon coaching staff either. At least it wasn’t at the start of two-a-days.

“I’ve been coaching 34 years and I’ve had four freshmen on varsity in all of those years, and two of those are Zack and Heath,” said Lions head coach Mark Bateman, who was the Vernon defensive coordinator in 2011. “They came in as freshmen and both were tall and lanky. They just kept making plays in practice with the varsity. We wanted to see what they would do in the scrimmages, and they just kept making plays.

“Zack and Heath just have the attitude to be linebackers. They’re not afraid of anything and they’re not afraid to stick their nose in there and get after it.”

When it came time to set the varsity roster, then-head coach Andy Correll called the two freshmen into his office to deliver the news.

“I just remember being speechless,” Dunson said when learning he had made the varsity. “I didn’t know what to say. I was kind of shocked because it wasn’t something I thought was going to happen.”

McMahen had similar feelings.

“We have a good defensive line and those guys make our job a lot easier,” Dunson said as McMahen shook his head in agreement. “With our guys up front, all we have to do is get to the people who have the football.”

“It kind of surprised me a little bit,” he said. “There’s a lot of learning. Going from the eighth grade to varsity is a big deal. The game is just so much faster than it is in the eighth grade.”

The game being faster wasn’t the only thing the two freshmen had to get used to.

“The intensity was a lot higher. And, for once weren’t the biggest kids on the field. We had to get used to taking some blows and not just giving them all of the time,” Dunson said with a smile.

While the two freshmen may not have expected to make the varsity team, once they were there, they expected to make all the plays like they did in junior high.

“They would get upset in film session because they would see what they should have done in a situation or they would see something that they missed. They were expecting so much out of themselves,” Bateman said. “I would just tell them ‘Hey guys, you’re not even supposed to be here. You’re just freshmen. Just remember and learn.’”

Both linebackers remember having huge butterflies in their stomach when they stepped onto the field for their first varsity game — a loss to Sweetwater at the Mustang Bowl. This year, they returned to the Mustang Bowl for a bi-district playoff game and came away with a win over Fort Stockton. And they’ll be trying to get a win Friday in the regional semifinals against Sweetwater, trying to make sure the Mustangs aren’t their final opponent.

“We left Sweetwater with a little better taste in our mouth this year,” McMahen said.

The Vernon football program struggled in 2011, and going 2-8 their freshman season wasn’t exactly what the two expected.

“It was a bad feeling to be there,” McMahen said of the 2-8 record. “It wasn’t what I expected. I didn’t really know what to expect, but it wasn’t that.”

Bateman being named head coach in 2012, returning to the Wing-T
offense, and having a defense anchored by McMahen (6-2, 190) and Dunson (6-3, 200), has all added up to the Lions claiming three bi-district championships, two area titles and a second straight trip to the regional quarterfinals.

“Since their freshman year, Zack and Heath have just gotten stronger and faster, and smarter and more experienced. They’re like coaches on the field,” Bateman said. “Zack has a little more speed and Heath has the bigger body, but both of them know how to play. Our defense has been playing pretty darn good for a while and they’re a big reason for it.”

Although they’ve been starters since they were freshmen, this is the first season for both McMahen and Dunson to not miss a game due to injuries. If a tackle is made within five or six yards of the line of scrimmage, Lion fans have become accustom to seeing No. 66 (McMahen) and/or No. 71 (Dunson) at the bottom of the pile. McMahen leads the Vernon defense with 135 tackles for the season, while Dunson is second with 95.
And, make no mistake about it. Both linebackers enjoy getting to the people who have the football. The eyes of both young men light up when they talk about filling the gap and meeting a running back in the hole.

“We want to help set the tone for being a physical defense. We feed off each other,” McMahen said.

Feeding off each other is something the two young men have been
doing for six years now, as they have played side by side, in the middle of the defense, since they were in the seventh grade.

“We’ve been playing side by side for a while,” Dunson said. “We know where we’re going to be and we can help each other out.”

“We know what the other one is going to do and how we fit,” McMahen said. “We know that if one of us messes up, the other will be there to take care of it. We’re the first ones there to jump down each other’s throat if we mess up and we’re the first ones there to congratulate a big play.”

Both players have been contacted by four-year universities and should have an opportunity to play at the next level, but right now, they’re not through being teammates and having each other’s back.

“All year our team goal has been December football. We want to be playing football in December,” Dunson said. “We’re going to stay focused on that and keep preparing for the next team we’re playing.”

Sweetwater Red
11-26-2014, 10:23 AM
The link below includes video and a lead to another story that will be aired tonight at 10.

http://www.ktxs.com/news/Mustangs-confidence-is-high-heading-into-regional-semifinals/29934654

SWEETWATER, Texas -

The Sweetwater Mustangs continue their historic run Friday night. They've already won their first (outright) district title since 1997 and are now focused on bringing home their first state crown since 1985.

Next up for the Mustangs is Vernon and this will be, by far, their toughest test of the season. Sweetwater has blown away a majority of their opponents. They average a 24.4 point margin per game, and only two of their contests this season have been decided by a touchdown or less.

With such an explosive offense, their confidence is high.

"The confidence level is really high [and] it's the highest it's been in a long time," said senior quarterback Kaegan Jeffery. "With us winning and winning big, it puts another step of confidence in our guys, and with us being 12-0 now going in to fight for another spot, we know what we have to do to win and for us to be able to win, we need to stay focused and be prepared each and every week.

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2014, 09:39 AM
http://www.timesrecordnews.com/sports/sweetwater-pass-vs-vernon-run-game_98585584

Sweetwater pass vs. Vernon run game

The Sweetwater Mustangs scared opponents with the quickness and the ability to stretch a defense from sideline to sideline and then sprint through gaps in the middle.

As most teams had gone to the pass, the Mustangs sprung the triple option on you with a stable of quick athletes.

But that is past and the Mustangs love to pass and it’s worked well enough that they come into Friday’s Region I-4A Division II regional semifinal against Vernon with a 12-0 record. Kickoff is set for 2 p.m. at Ram Stadium in Mineral Wells.

Sweetwater quarterback Kaegan Jeffery has 42 touchdown passes against just seven interceptions. He’s passed for 3,012 yards.

And Vernon coach Mark Bateman points out that yardage usually comes in three quarters or less because of the frequent blowouts.

Three receivers (Bray Amos, Isaiah McGee and Michael Lawrence) have a dozen touchdown receptions and between 800-900 yards.

“They’re extremely explosive on offense, good on defense and they use their team speed well,” Bateman said. “They throw some fast jailbreak screen just, a lot of quick passes and slants, they try to get it out quick.

“He (Jeffery) has tremendous placement of the football. He throws it where his kids can catch it.”

Bateman said a defensive key is keeping a 5-yard catch to a 5-yard gain, not a 50-yard TD.

“We got to make sure we break on the football well and tackle well,” Bateman added.

There are two common opponents — Fort Stockton and Perryton. The Panthers gave Sweetwater its best game thus far, leading 28-14 in the third quarter before falling 34-28. Vernon eliminated Fort Stockton 43-18 two weeks ago. Vernon defeated Perryton 62-32 and the Mustangs routed the Rangers 50-13.

“Our guys have done a great job of staying focused each week, we played very well through district, had a letdown in bi-district but played well enough to win,” Bateman said. “Our kids will be ready. We want to make them play four quarters.”

And one group that would love to make the Sweetwater passing game a side story is the Vernon offensive line. It has paved the way for the Lions to rack up 4,087 rush yards and 55 TDs. The starting line is Zach McMahen; Colton Sims; Tristan Urquizo; Trevor Methvin; and Anthony Ortiz. Tight ends Eli Varela and Evan Bailey also can clear the way.

“The offensive line has done a tremendous job,” Bateman said. “Anytime you’re at 4,000 yards and average nearly 400 yards rushing your offensive line and offensive line coach (Robby Spencer) has done a great job.”

Tickets: Tickets at Ram Stadium are $8 (adults) and $5 (students).

TheDOCTORdre
11-28-2014, 12:59 PM
They've already won their first (outright) district title since 1997 and are now focused on bringing home their first state crown since 1985.

2003 was an outright district title!

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Sweetwater 28
Vernon 14

Halftime

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2014, 04:15 PM
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/imagejpg1-17.jpg

toddg
11-28-2014, 04:17 PM
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/imagejpg1-17.jpg

nice pic SW RED!!

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Sweetwater and Vernon's band performing together.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/imagejpg1-18.jpg

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2014, 04:24 PM
nice pic SW RED!!

Thanks! Outstanding game so far!

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Sweetwater 42
Vernon 21

End of third quarter

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Sweetwater 49
Vernon 27

Final

mustang68
11-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Football in December!

Red&White_9x5
11-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Football in December!

Been a long time!!! Great job on another great game Stangs. Can't wait to find out when and where next week

orange machine
11-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Fun game except for the Sweetwater fan that saw us and said will see your _ _ _ next week.

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Been a long time!!! Great job on another great game Stangs. Can't wait to find out when and where next week

Talked to a coach on the field after the game. If Celina wins it MAY be played right back here in Mineral Wells.
Nothing official though.

Sweetwater Red
11-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Fun game except for the Sweetwater fan that saw us and said will see your _ _ _ next week.

You should've arrested his _ _ _ :D

orange machine
11-28-2014, 07:37 PM
You should've arrested his _ _ _ :D

Lol I kinda thought it was funny.

orange machine
11-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Talked to a coach on the field after the game. If Celina wins it MAY be played right back here in Mineral Wells.
Nothing official though.

Be cool with me.

bobcat1
11-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Good job Sweetwater! Awesome job!

Sweetwater Red
11-29-2014, 10:07 AM
Trophy #4

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/imagejpg1-19.jpg

Sweetwater Red
11-29-2014, 10:58 AM
From Wichita Falls newspaper

Sweetwater offense keeps Love-Led Lions at bay

MINERAL WELLS — Vernon ran for 327 yards and never punted. And yet, the Lions never had a lead in Friday's Region I-4A semifinal.

As good as the Vernon offense was, the Sweetwater passing machine was even better. Kaegan Jeffrey threw five touchdown passes as the Mustangs stayed undefeated with a 49-27 victory over the Lions at Ram Stadium.

The offenses scored the first five times they touched the ball, with Sweetwater going first and taking a 20-14 lead.

As good as Vernon was most of the day, it was stopped twice inside the Mustangs' 20 in the second quarter and that hurt twice as much when Jeffrey threw a 15-yard touchdown pass on fourth down with seven seconds left in the half, increasing the lead to 28-14.

Michael Lawrence caught that TD, one of his three on the day.

He caught five passes for 102 yardswith scores of 33, 15 and 37 yards. Fellow receiver Isaiah McGee had eight catches, 149 yards and TDs of 56 and 38 yards.

But Lawrence wanted to let everyone know why the out-and-up worked and why the first TD to McGee was allowed to happen was good blocking up front.

"The O-line really stepped up; Kaegan was allowed time to throw his passes," Lawrence said. "We just have to go up and be physical with the ball in the air. This has been a fun ride with these boys."

As for his quarterback, who passed for 323 yards, Lawrence said, "He's great; we have a chemistry with them. We knew we had to go down and score every time."

Bateman knew it was a tough matchup, and the Lions tried to get pressure at times on the quarterback. But that came with a price, some 1-on-1 matchups.

"The kids fought hard and worked hard every day to get better, but they, (the Mustangs), are extremely good at what they do," Bateman said. "They do a good job of catching the football."

Offensively, Isaiah Love led the way with 245 yards on 30 carries, including two first-quarter touchdowns to keep pace. Corrie Luster passed for 99 yards and two touchdowns in his final game for the Lions. His next-to-last pass was a perfect 32-yard TD to Josh Drennan on a waggle.

"We stressed that in big games you have to take advantage of our opportunities," Bateman said. "We had two in the first half and then come back in the third quarter, and that's 21 points.

"This is a great group of kids. They work hard and got a great future with some young kids coming up."

Bateman told the seniors he was "proud of what they had done for the city of Vernon and Vernon High School."

The Lions scored on a 24-yard TD pass from Luster to Lane Sanders to open the third, after a fourth-down gamble around midfield paid off. But that only cut the deficit to 28-21 because of the way Sweetwater ended the first half.

The Mustangs converted third-and-8; third-and-15; and then fourth-and-15 with a post route to Lawrence on a play the Lions tried to rush only three and cover eight. Jeffrey, who has 47 touchdowns and only seven interceptions this year, was too accurate for that coverage.

After cutting it to 28-21 there was another chance for the Lions, this time defensively, but they jumped offsides on fourth-and-6 from the 41-yard line and the Mustangs took advantage and scored yet again.

Region I-4A D-II semifinals

SWEETWATER 49, Vernon 27

Vernon 14 0 7 6 — 27

Sweetwater 20 8 14 7 — 49

FIRST QUARTER

SW — Isaiah McGee 56 pass from Kaegan Jeffrey (Denzell Moore pass from Jeffrey) 10:20

V — Isaiah Love 6 run (Mauricio Gonzalez kick) 7:09

SW — T.C. Huitt 62 run (run failed) 6:52

V — Love 18 run (Gonzalez kick) 3:43

SW — Michael Lawrence 33 pass from Jeffrey (pass failed) 1:50

SECOND QUARTER

SW — Lawrence 15 pass from Jeffrey (Jeffrey pass from McGee) 0:07

THIRD QUARTER

V — Lane Sanders 24 pass from Corrie Luster (Gonzalez kick)

SW — Jeffrey 1 run (McGee run) 2:36

SW — Lawrence 37 pass from Jeffrey (pass failed) 0:29

FOURTH QUARTER

SW — McGee 37 pass from Jeffrey (Jonathan Neri kick) 7:56

V — Josh Drennan 32 pass from Corrie Luster (kick blocked) 2:20

Vernon SW

First downs 23 22

Rushes-Yards 47-327 27-176

Passing 99 323

Comp-Att-Int 5-12-1 19-27-0

Punts 0-0 2-56

Fumbles-Lost 2-1 0-0

Penalties-Yards 4-20 6-60

Individual statistics

RUSHING — Vernon, Isaiah Love 30-245; Lane Sanders 13-80; Corrie Luster 4-2. Sweetwater, T. C. Huitt 10-123; Kaegan Jeffrey 11-41; Adrian Vizzera 1-9; Javier Olguin 2-4; Max Gomez 1-3; Team 2- (-4).

PASSING — Vernon, Luster 5-12-1, 99. Sweetwater, Jeffrey 19-27-0, 323.

RECEIVING — Vernon, Josh Drennan 3-57; Sanders 1-24; Love 1-18. Sweetwater, Isaiah McGee 8-149; Michael Lawrence 5-102; Huitt 1-15; C.J. Adames 1-(-1).

RECORDS — Vernon 8-5; Sweetwater 13-0.