PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport vs Sweetwater- Area Rd2

Bullaholic
11-16-2014, 10:36 AM
This thread is kinda hard to put up when your team is looking down the barrel of a big caliber 11-0 gun like the Mustangs. Nevertheless, the Bulls have been resilient and are known to play well in the playoffs, and they do have some weapons that spread the field, and their defense has been playing better every week. Realistically, the Bulls do not matchup well on paper with the Mustangs, and give up the advantage in almost every phase of the game---especially speed. The Bulls will have to play over their heads with their best effort of the year, and the Mustangs will have to play their worst for the Bulls to remain close, or pull a big upset. Go Bulls!---on to Rd3.....

slingshot
11-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Think the 'Stangs take this one easily...

JVDAD
11-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Sweetwater not getting much love outside of R1. I think they easily handle the bulls and move to serve notice to the rest of D2.

garciap77
11-16-2014, 06:22 PM
The Stangs win this one.

Sweetwater Red
11-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRgEm6GNGCI

toddg
11-17-2014, 11:38 AM
personally like both teams..would like to see both keep going..oh well, me thinks that Sweetwater has the edge.

Sweetwater Red
11-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Sweetwater highlight video vs. Perryton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk4rwbJmADY

Bullaholic
11-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRgEm6GNGCI

Make me feel a lot better if you said "scary", Red....:D

Sweetwater Red
11-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Make me feel a lot better if you said "scary", Red....:D

Scary would be better suited to describe the second video I posted. :devil:

Sweetwater Red
11-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Here is an interview conducted by Evan Ren of the ARN a few days ago.

ABILENE, Texas - After back-to-back 4-6 seasons, third-year Sweetwater coach Shane Mobley is finally seeing his work pay off.

Heading into this week’s Class 4A Division II area-round game with Bridgeport with an 11-0 record, Mobley’s Mustangs have been one of the area’s top surprises in 2014.

He now visits with Reporter-News sports writer Evan Ren to speak about this season, the challenges he’s faced, the reaction of the Sweetwater community and where he will go from here in this week’s Big Country Q&A.

Q: Coach, thanks for speaking with us. … First off, I have to admit I’m stunned. I knew you guys would be better than what you were a year ago and I expected the drop to Division II to help you. But I didn’t see you guys at 11-0, and every time I’ve spoken with you this year, I’ve gotten the impression that you’re not surprised about this at all. Are you surprised?

A: “Well, all along this group of seniors that we have has really bought into what we’re trying to accomplish, and a lot of the success they’ve had has come from what they do off the field. Their time and dedication in the weight room, their work in 7-on-7 and the unity that they have has all been a big part of this. … We always preach to them about what they have to face this week. So they watch film and study our opponents. They don’t look ahead and don’t talk about what’s behind them. Each week we give them that challenge and they’ve lived up to it.”

Q: For you personally, what’s going to define a successful season this year? Is it about how far you get in the bracket? Or does it really matter at this stage?

A: No. That’s already been set for us. I couldn’t be more proud and more pleased with this team, this group of young men and this coaching staff than I am right now. They’re a special group. Everything I’ve wanted to develop as a coach here — I’ve seen it. The blessing part of it all are the wins that are coming with it. We’ve played some teams this year where we’ve been the underdog, and early on we struggled a little bit. But the kids found a way to win, and since they realized how successful they could be, they haven’t looked back. … For me personally, the success has already been met because I can see it in our boys and in the community. … If you go out in our community, you’ll see the businesses all have their windows painted and it’s just a fun time here.”

Q: You had a difficult transition to make here. Sweetwater had a nice tradition of success with the option game and you’ve taken the program in a different direction with the spread. Can you talk about how the community has responded to it?

A: “It’s fun to speak with people around town and as they say, offense sells tickets and defense wins championships. It’s fun to see the town come out to see these boys throw and catch and to see how exciting it is and how explosive they are. We’ve had a change in direction here. When I was here before as (Kent Jackson’s assistant), we were very talented and we could run the veer and midline as well as anyone in the state. But when I came back, I knew the type of kids we had here weren’t big enough to play hard-nosed football. Our linemen were quick so I knew we could (throw the ball). It was just going to take time to develop.”

Q: You touched on my next question. Your team isn’t very big but that’s a handicap you’ve managed to overcome. Can you talk a little more about how you’ve overcome that?

A: “We tell the kids ‘You’re not going to be the biggest one out on the field.’ … But (our offensive line) is very close to our quarterback and every time he throws the ball, they know it’s all on them. … I’ve said from Day 1 that we would not be successful if he didn’t have time to throw and they know that. … We’ve taken some of these guys that we have up front on offense and let them play defense to get them mean. Then we put them out on the offensive line and it helps them be aggressive, and they know what it takes to have that mentality.”

Q: OK, I’ve got a tough question for you. With the success you’ve had here, I fully expect your phone to be ringing. There’s bound to be a struggling 5A or even a 6A that would be willing to give you a shot at running their program now. So what can we expect when that phone rings and someone is waving money at you?

A: (Laughs) “That is a tough question. … I’ve grown professionally. I started out in Winters and now I’m the Athletic Director at Sweetwater. I like my résumé and God has blessed me, for sure. … But we’ve just started here at Sweetwater. Our JV has had success, we’ve got an eighth-grade class that has had success, and my son is only a sophomore. … As far as my long-term goals, I’d be lying to you if I didn’t say that I’d be interested in coaching at the college level someday. … But right now, my priorities are with my kids and what’s best for them. Right now, we see a pretty good future (at Sweetwater). We won’t always be 10-0, but we see some good kids coming up and this is a great community. The response has been awesome
and our administration is top-notch. So if there is ever another opportunity out there, it would to have to be a great situation.”

Dominicfrank
11-19-2014, 02:53 AM
Here is an interview conducted by Evan Ren of the ARN a few days ago.

ABILENE, Texas - After back-to-back 4-6 seasons, third-year Sweetwater coach Shane Mobley is finally seeing his work pay off.

Heading into this week’s Class 4A Division II area-round game with Bridgeport with an 11-0 record, Mobley’s Mustangs have been one of the area’s top surprises in 2014.

He now visits with Reporter-News sports writer Evan Ren to speak about this season, the challenges he’s faced, the reaction of the Sweetwater community and where he will go from here in this week’s Big Country Q&A.

Q: Coach, thanks for speaking with us. … First off, I have to admit I’m stunned. I knew you guys would be better than what you were a year ago and I expected the drop to Division II to help you. But I didn’t see you guys at 11-0, and every time I’ve spoken with you this year, I’ve gotten the impression that you’re not surprised about this at all. Are you surprised?

A: “Well, all along this group of seniors that we have has really bought into what we’re trying to accomplish, and a lot of the success they’ve had has come from what they do off the field. Their time and dedication in the weight room, their work in 7-on-7 and the unity that they have has all been a big part of this. … We always preach to them about what they have to face this week. So they watch film and study our opponents. They don’t look ahead and don’t talk about what’s behind them. Each week we give them that challenge and they’ve lived up to it.”

Q: For you personally, what’s going to define a successful season this year? Is it about how far you get in the bracket? Or does it really matter at this stage?

A: No. That’s already been set for us. I couldn’t be more proud and more pleased with this team, this group of young men and this coaching staff than I am right now. They’re a special group. Everything I’ve wanted to develop as a coach here — I’ve seen it. The blessing part of it all are the wins that are coming with it. We’ve played some teams this year where we’ve been the underdog, and early on we struggled a little bit. But the kids found a way to win, and since they realized how successful they could be, they haven’t looked back. … For me personally, the success has already been met because I can see it in our boys and in the community. … If you go out in our community, you’ll see the businesses all have their windows painted and it’s just a fun time here.”

Q: You had a difficult transition to make here. Sweetwater had a nice tradition of success with the option game and you’ve taken the program in a different direction with the spread. Can you talk about how the community has responded to it?

A: “It’s fun to speak with people around town and as they say, offense sells tickets and defense wins championships. It’s fun to see the town come out to see these boys throw and catch and to see how exciting it is and how explosive they are. We’ve had a change in direction here. When I was here before as (Kent Jackson’s assistant), we were very talented and we could run the veer and midline as well as anyone in the state. But when I came back, I knew the type of kids we had here weren’t big enough to play hard-nosed football. Our linemen were quick so I knew we could (throw the ball). It was just going to take time to develop.”

Q: You touched on my next question. Your team isn’t very big but that’s a handicap you’ve managed to overcome. Can you talk a little more about how you’ve overcome that?

A: “We tell the kids ‘You’re not going to be the biggest one out on the field.’ … But (our offensive line) is very close to our quarterback and every time he throws the ball, they know it’s all on them. … I’ve said from Day 1 that we would not be successful if he didn’t have time to throw and they know that. … We’ve taken some of these guys that we have up front on offense and let them play defense to get them mean. Then we put them out on the offensive line and it helps them be aggressive, and they know what it takes to have that mentality.”

Q: OK, I’ve got a tough question for you. With the success you’ve had here, I fully expect your phone to be ringing. There’s bound to be a struggling 5A or even a 6A that would be willing to give you a shot at running their program now. So what can we expect when that phone rings and someone is waving money at you?

A: (Laughs) “That is a tough question. … I’ve grown professionally. I started out in Winters and now I’m the Athletic Director at Sweetwater. I like my résumé and God has blessed me, for sure. … But we’ve just started here at Sweetwater. Our JV has had success, we’ve got an eighth-grade class that has had success, and my son is only a sophomore. … As far as my long-term goals, I’d be lying to you if I didn’t say that I’d be interested in coaching at the college level someday. … But right now, my priorities are with my kids and what’s best for them. Right now, we see a pretty good future (at Sweetwater). We won’t always be 10-0, but we see some good kids coming up and this is a great community. The response has been awesome
and our administration is top-notch. So if there is ever another opportunity out there, it would to have to be a great situation.”.

It will be a Vernon Sweetwater showdown soon enough......

d0tc0m
11-19-2014, 09:19 AM
For some reason, I feel like Krum may give Vernon all they can handle this weekend.

Phantom Stang
11-19-2014, 12:30 PM
On paper Sweetwater should win big, but the Bulls made the playoffs out of a tough district, and advanced to the second round for a reason. So the Mustangs should approach this game accordingly, which I'm sure they will.

Good luck to both teams for an injury free game, and to everyone for safe journeys to and from the stadium.

Sweetwater Red
11-19-2014, 02:18 PM

It will be a Vernon Sweetwater showdown soon enough......

We've gotta get past Bridgeport first and they've already beaten Krum 32-13
earlier in the year. So, I'd say our road is a little tougher than Vernon's is
to get to the next round. I'd like to see it happen though.

For some reason, I feel like Krum may give Vernon all they can handle this weekend.

I would hope they do. I'd love to see Vernon have to slug it out for four quarters but I seriously doubt it will come to that.
I expect this game to go as the Lion's game did against Ft. Stockton. Close early and then Vernon puts them away midway
through the third quarter.

EagleEye
11-20-2014, 12:42 AM
I being a Loboes fan understand that our wins are numbered, however I would love to see Sweetwater take it all. Make our district proud Stangs and get a State Championship.

Sweetwater Red
11-20-2014, 12:02 PM
I being a Loboes fan understand that our wins are numbered, however I would love to see Sweetwater take it all. Make our district proud Stangs and get a State Championship.

I'd just be happy with a quarter-final game against whoever is left at this point.

pirate4state
11-21-2014, 02:16 PM
If there were a poll I would vote for Sweetwater :D

Bullaholic
11-21-2014, 02:19 PM
If there were a poll I would vote for Sweetwater :D

That's why I didn't make one....:D---you comin'?

Sweetwater Red
11-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Rumor has it that if Sweetwater wins they will play either Vernon or Krum at Mineral Wells in the middle to late afternoon.

Oh and Bridgeport is the home team tonight. :nerd:

pirate4state
11-21-2014, 03:09 PM
That's why I didn't make one....:D---you comin'?

Nope, wish I could but we are playing tonight.

hollywood
11-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Just passed the Sweetwater buses on Hwy 8 heading to Stephenville

toddg
11-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Just passed the Sweetwater buses on Hwy 8 heading to Stephenville
It was fate, that we met on hwy 8
The atmospher was great, on this date..on hwy 8

Sweetwater Red
11-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Sweetwater 24
Bridgeport 7

End of first quarter

BullBoy
11-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Sweetwater 24
Bridgeport 7

End of first quarter

Sweetwater is.... Good 😔

Sweetwater Red
11-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Sweetwater 46
Bridgeport 7

Halftime

STANG RED
11-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Listening to the live feed. Sounds like we just have way too much speed for the Bulls to handle. Funny thing is, two of fastest are out till next week.

Sweetwater 46
Bridgeport 7

Halftime

STANG RED
11-21-2014, 09:45 PM
First half stats
BP 143 yds total.61 yds rushing. 3 first downs
SW 372 yds total. 113 yds rushing. 19 first downs.

bobcat1
11-21-2014, 09:49 PM
Wow! :eek:

BullBoy
11-21-2014, 09:59 PM
East Texas map will be re-drawn to now include sweetwater.

Sweetwater Red
11-21-2014, 10:27 PM
Sweetwater 46
Bridgeport 14

End of third quarter

Mostly 2s and 3s started the second half.

Sweetwater Red
11-21-2014, 10:56 PM
Sweetwater 46
Bridgeport 14

Final

Dominicfrank
11-22-2014, 02:06 AM
Sweetwater 46
Bridgeport 14

Final
Vernon Destroyed Krum early and eased in the second half only scoring 15 I think in the second in route to 52-14 win. Vernon Sweetwater, should be a hell of a game between two real good Football towns.

Dominicfrank
11-22-2014, 02:25 AM
BTW- Nice to see you again Red........its been years since I have been on this site but always remember good chats with you and the rest of the Sweetwater fans. Not much of a Vernon contingent on here but there never really was. I live in Seattle now and only know about my team through my friends who strangely now all have kids on the team. Love is a hell of a RB, be ready for him and the other two guys, we dont throw much.

Bullaholic
11-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Simple story in this one--the Bulls simply could not match the team speed of the Mustangs, and paid the price. Sweetwater is a very good team and should be able to play with anybody still in the hunt, and I wish them good luck for the rest of the playoffs. The best part of the night for me was watching my Soph WR grandson score the second of the Bulls TD's on a WR swing pass around the right end. I am very proud of this year's Bulls team----they went from ofer last year to 2-deep in the playoffs this season with an 8-4 record. Next year should be a good season for these young Bulls, and I really look forward to watching them play. Go Bulls!

Celina8
11-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Have to ask Bull, if Celina does get past Iowa Park and Sweetwater makes it past Vernon, will their speed be more than we can handle. I can see Celina being the underdog in this game as Sweetwater would be undefeated.

Sweetwater Red
11-22-2014, 10:38 AM
BTW- Nice to see you again Red........its been years since I have been on this site but always remember good chats with you and the rest of the Sweetwater fans. Not much of a Vernon contingent on here but there never really was. I live in Seattle now and only know about my team through my friends who strangely now all have kids on the team. Love is a hell of a RB, be ready for him and the other two guys, we dont throw much.

Welcome back. Should be a good one next week. Stick around so I have someone to talk to. Seemed no one really wanted
to talk about our first two playoff games.

Sweetwater Red
11-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Simple story in this one--the Bulls simply could not match the team speed of the Mustangs, and paid the price. Sweetwater is a very good team and should be able to play with anybody still in the hunt, and I wish them good luck for the rest of the playoffs. The best part of the night for me was watching my Soph WR grandson score the second of the Bulls TD's on a WR swing pass around the right end. I am very proud of this year's Bulls team----they went from ofer last year to 2-deep in the playoffs this season with an 8-4 record. Next year should be a good season for these young Bulls, and I really look forward to watching them play. Go Bulls!

Congrats to your grandson Bull. I guess I should clarify that the 2s and 3s were on offense and their lack
of practice time running our offense clearly showed. Your grandson score against our 1st and 2s. It was
a nice play. Looking forward to seeing good things from the Bulls next year. Maybe we'll meet again.

Sweetwater Red
11-22-2014, 11:12 AM
i've posted a trophy pic after each game this year and I don't want the BP
fans to think I'm rubbing it in but I don't want to tempt fate either so here it is. :D

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/detroit8990/imagejpg1-16.jpg

Bullaholic
11-22-2014, 11:14 AM
I'll try to answer as a fan who has seen both teams play without trying sound like an expert, Celina8:

Sweetwater Strength's:

1. Speed at every skill position.

2. WR's run good routes and pull up in holes and/or run back to ball in soft coverage or blow by in tight coverage. They make a lot of YAC with their speed.

3. RB is small, but very fast and elusive. Makes a lot of yards by making first tackler,and often multiple tacklers, miss. Reverses the field a lot, and simply outruns pursuit.

4. QB is accurate and knows receiver's patterns well and finds them.

5. Kick return team is deadly, and has burned many teams for scores. That is why the Bulls chose to give up a lot of field position by not kicking to them at all.

6. Coaching staff is very savvy and designs play variations to take advantage of opponent defense tendencies seen on film because with their abundance of speed their play book is open for anything on every play. They try, and do, fool other teams a lot---especially on the swinging-gate 2pt conversion tries. They were 100% against the Bulls.

I think Celina has the best overall team on both sides of the ball, and their biggest advantage is in having players on defense who can make sure one-on-one tackles in space before too much damage is done, and having an offense that is very machine-like in going down the field without being too much pure smashmouth and not spreading the field, and which doesen't make very many execution errors while scoring on nearly every possession.

This one will be a classic if it happens, and I wouldn't want to have to pick a winner.

Celina8
11-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the great insight Bull it is very much appreciated. I think Bridgeport is going to be fun to watch in the next few years as they were very young this season.

BwdLion73
11-22-2014, 02:10 PM
fans to think I'm rubbing it in but I don't want to tempt fate either so here it is. :D

It looks like the trophy says Sweetwater vs Goldthwaite??? :vrycnfsd:

Sweetwater Red
11-22-2014, 02:52 PM

Haha wow! It does! :doh:

And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse than the TSU PA working the game. He was awful :dispntd:

bobcat1
11-22-2014, 07:36 PM

Haha wow! It does! :doh:

And just when I thought it couldn't get any worse than the TSU PA working the game. He was awful :dispntd:
WOW! What a mess that is. That has to be the funniest thing I ever saw concerning trophies.

Red&White_9x5
11-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Hated to miss the Bridgeport game but I'm definitely looking forward to the Vernon matchup. Are we home or visitors?

garciap77
11-23-2014, 06:51 PM

:2thumbsup