PDA

View Full Version : Carthage vs El Campo

Dawgs
11-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Good 2nd round match up played at New Caney on Friday night. 10-1 district champ Rice Birds vs the 5-5 co-champ Bulldogs. El Campo has to be the heavy favorite. Carthage started off the season 1-5, but has been improving since district started. We have lost a lot of key players as I am sure every team has going into week 12. We are down to our 4th or 5th string RB, which as you guys know at this level that is killing your depth. I can promise at Carthage the 3rd, 4th, and 5th string RB are studs at other positions. We are lacking the depth that has made Carthage so successful in the past. Our best offensive player is a freshman. We are loaded with sophomores and juniors. We lost 2 all state caliber players from non injury related issues. A D-1 recruited TE who caught the first TD in the championship game last year, and a safety / RB who was all state as a sophomore at safety. TE is a junior, and safety is a senior. Our offense is hit or miss, but they are pretty good on some night.

Now on to the defense. This is a championship caliber defense. Just as good if not better than last years defense. They have been put in bad situations by the offense all season, and kept battling. We have 3 studs at different levels of the defense Jarod McLin at DE, James Marshall at LB, and Micah Templeton at safety. Other playmakers include Jonathan Brown and Chris Howard. Our secondary is pretty much our receiving core just like always at Carthage. A good group who are actually better DB than WR. Defense is better stopping the run to the edges than up the middle. Pass coverage is pretty good. Bend but don't break Carthage style that allows the other team to make the mistake. Caused 4 turnovers last night.

Somebody better put this team out of the playoffs quick. We are in game 12 now, and Carthage is like a fine wine we get better with age. This is not the Carthage people are accustomed too over the past 8 years. But this is a feisty bunch who is learning how to win. The belief of winning is a powerful thing. You let a young team with the tradition of Carthage start believing they are going to be tough to beat. Won't help us this week, but Carthage isn't going to lose very many games the next 3 years. We are going to be scary good in 2016 and 2017.

I am guessing the Rice Birds haven't changed schemes since the last time we played. A spread style power running team? Have y'all been passing much this season? We struggled stopping Henderson QB in the run game. He killed us. I know last time we played the QB was a stud! Kid was a hammer. GW put some big time rushing number against us early in the season, but if El Campo is as good as GW in the run game we might be in trouble.

A betting man would say El Campo, but a homer will say Carthage by 1. We might have a little mojo working. I believe Carthage will get some stops based solely on what we have done the last 5 weeks. I just don't know if our offense can score enough to win. We will have to hold the Rice Birds under 21 to win.

HEMOTOXIC
11-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Very interesting game. I will go with El Campo but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Carthage pulled out the W.

Weebe
11-16-2014, 11:12 AM
El Campo probably passes a little more than the 2012 team, but not much. The QB isn't near the runner our 2012 QB was, but can if necessary.

We mostly rely on our two RB's. Kevin Dove(1500 yds) is a beast. Tough inside runner who has the speed to break long runs. Much better than any back we had in 2012. RB Harris(about 800 but missed multiple games) is really fast, outside back.

Defense has been solid but not spectacular.

Should be a good game, but I agree El Campo should probably be the favorite.

speedbump
11-16-2014, 11:33 AM
EC will run the ball,only this year it won't be the QB. They have Kevin Dove (6' - 230) with 4.6 speed and over 1500 yards (9.35 avg) and Alontae Harris (5'10 - 175) with 4.45 and over 1000 yds with a 10.4 avg per carry. These guys (both juniors) run behind a big strong O line that avg. about 250 tackle to tackle. The birds D has been getting better each week and the only thing on a wish list would be for the linebackers to step it up just a bit. Twenty interceptions speak for the secondary. Coverage teams have done a good job and our kicking game is excellent. The kicker is consistent and accurate to and beyond 40 yards and the punter (Clayton Harp) is one of the, if not the best,in 4A. If the Ricebirds don't put the ball on the ground or have a bunch of penalties it could be a long night for the Bulldogs. What the heck .... Birds 30 Dogs 10

speedbump
11-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Very interesting game. I will go with El Campo but I wouldn't at all be surprised if Carthage pulled out the W.

Like I said week one. Ricebirds vs Rattlers at Rhodes Stadium.

HEMOTOXIC
11-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Hey, I'm looking forward to that matchup. Let's shoot for the Berry Center.

cowboyandchrist
11-16-2014, 01:51 PM
EC will run the ball,only this year it won't be the QB. They have Kevin Dove (6' - 230) with 4.6 speed and over 1500 yards (9.35 avg) and Alontae Harris (5'10 - 175) with 4.45 and over 1000 yds with a 10.4 avg per carry. These guys (both juniors) run behind a big strong O line that avg. about 250 tackle to tackle. The birds D has been getting better each week and the only thing on a wish list would be for the linebackers to step it up just a bit. Twenty interceptions speak for the secondary. Coverage teams have done a good job and our kicking game is excellent. The kicker is consistent and accurate to and beyond 40 yards and the punter (Clayton Harp) is one of the, if not the best,in 4A. If the Ricebirds don't put the ball on the ground or have a bunch of penalties it could be a long night for the Bulldogs. What the heck .... Birds 30 Dogs 10
I agree, the Rice Birds should be the favorite, but keep in mind this group of young (very young) Dawgs are going to play their butts off and if the Rice Birds win they will have earned it. The Dawgs believe they can and I belive they can win. God Bless both teams and fans and pray no more injuries. Let's Go Dawgs !!!!

Scoop27
11-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Webcast
www.kulpradio.com

sk1
11-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Can someone please add a poll to this thread...

Old Green
11-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Poll added

Dawgs
11-16-2014, 09:54 PM
I have a feeling the Dawgs are about to send the Rice Birds back down 59 in shock...I just though about it, I guess this is the Battle of 59.

regaleagle
11-17-2014, 07:44 AM
Methinks El Campo is ready to do the whack attack on the Bulldogs. I like EC by 21 pts. in this one. Carthage D may have some say about the final score, though. I'll stick to my 21 points and say El Campo shows up in this one ready to rumble.

YTBulldogs
11-17-2014, 07:53 AM

Not gonna happen. Carthage spoils it, 31-10.

1st and goal
11-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Should be a great game. Carthage has traditionally been the ground pounding, disher out of punishment.
It sounds like EC will be dishing out their share of a punishing ground attack this game.

scrub c
11-17-2014, 10:06 AM
I have seen EC play.
Their offense is a beast. (#30 in particular)
IMO typical EC team... not flashy or trendy, just disciplined and good at what they do.

speedbump
11-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Not gonna happen. Carthage spoils it, 31-10.

Carthage hasn't put up 30 against any team with more than one win this year and it won't happen this week either.

Dawgs
11-17-2014, 03:19 PM
Carthage hasn't put up 30 against any team with more than one win this year and it won't happen this week either.

How bout Carthage 21-20?

speedbump
11-17-2014, 04:04 PM
How bout Carthage 21-20?

I don't see them holding the Birds to less than four TDs.

YTBulldogs
11-17-2014, 04:07 PM

This isn't Brazosport, Needville, Furr.

Dawgs
11-17-2014, 04:18 PM

Alright. EC 35 Dawgs 21 in a hard fought battle that sets up Carthage next 3 peat.

speedbump
11-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Alright. EC 35 Dawgs 21 in a hard fought battle that sets up Carthage next 3 peat.

This won't be the last meeting between the two. The Birds should be loaded for the next three years.(at least)

Dawgs
11-17-2014, 04:27 PM
This won't be the last meeting between the two. The Birds should be loaded for the next three years.(at least)

Let's get this year out if the way before we go to next year. Besides the Rice Birds couldn't possibly stand a chance against The Mighty Dawgs the next 3 years.

bird_fan
11-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Let's get this year out if the way before we go to next year. Besides the Rice Birds couldn't possibly stand a chance against The Mighty Dawgs the next 3 years.

Thats what was said in 2012. In fact some Carthage an said we should forfiet the game and save ourselves an embarassment Just didnt turn out that way

Dawgs
11-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Thats what was said in 2012. In fact some Carthage an said we should forfiet the game and save ourselves an embarassment Just didnt turn out that way

Haha. I don't think it was as bad as y'all make it out to be, but oh well. People have alot of faith in Carthage. 4 in 6 years will do that. El Campo should be proud to be on the same field with Carthage. If they win this game they will be 2-0 on the Dawgs. Quite an accomplishment. May not have any Championships, but you can say you beat a team with 4 not once but twice! Good story for the grand kids!!

Dogs_21
11-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Haha. I don't think it was as bad as y'all make it out to be, but oh well. People have alot of faith in Carthage. 4 in 6 years will do that. El Campo should be proud to be on the same field with Carthage. If they win this game they will be 2-0 on the Dawgs. Quite an accomplishment. May not have any Championships, but you can say you beat a team with 4 not once but twice! Good story for the grand kids!!

El Campo will always have a program. I dont remember Carthage making noise in 4a until they moved down to 3A. El Campo has been good for years. Even if they didnt win a title they always competed to the highest level no matter what classification. Just my take. Not taking anything from Carthage because they are a beast I'm just saying the Ricebirds have their own tradation also.

Dawgs
11-17-2014, 07:28 PM
El Campo will always have a program. I dont remember Carthage making noise in 4a until they moved down to 3A. El Campo has been good for years. Even if they didnt win a title they always competed to the highest level no matter what classification. Just my take. Not taking anything from Carthage because they are a beast I'm just saying the Ricebirds have their own tradation also.

I was obviously just stirring the guys up, but Carthage probably had as much success in 4a as El Campo. Carthage was an above average 4a program over the years with very low enrollment.

Weebe
11-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Haha. I don't think it was as bad as y'all make it out to be, but oh well. People have alot of faith in Carthage. 4 in 6 years will do that. El Campo should be proud to be on the same field with Carthage. If they win this game they will be 2-0 on the Dawgs. Quite an auccomplishment. May not have any Championships, but you can say you beat a team with 4 not once but twice! Good story for the grand kids!!

Yes, it will be quite the honor to be able to play on the same field as Carthage.

Good Lord.

cowboyandchrist
11-17-2014, 07:51 PM

Coach S with all these freshmen, Sophomores, and juniors starting this year, the Rice Birds may win this year, but you sure better enjoy it if it happens. After the game tell me what you think of the freshmen linebacker and running back and a host of other under classmen. This is going to be a better game than you think it will be. The last time the Rice Birds faced the Dawgs, the Dawgs were out played in the fourth quarter. It will not be the case this time. These young Dawgs know how to play four full quarters and win or loose the Rice Birds will know they been in a game. They have faced 9 out of 11 good football teams and are still standing. You just keep thinking you will beat the Dawgs by 4 touch downs. I have no doubt the Rice Birds will be one of the best teams the Dawgs have faced, but they are coming to play and win or loose I am so proud of this team. Coach S and his staff have worked a miracle with all the injuries and youth and 19 brand new starters. God Bless and pray no more injuries to either team.

Weebe
11-17-2014, 08:10 PM

Lol

Yoakum plays in Region IV and you are talking **** about schedules?

YTBulldogs
11-17-2014, 08:28 PM
Lol

Yoakum plays in Region IV and you are talking **** about schedules?

I know, you no longer in R4, yet--you play opponents like you were. Kinda amazed me. Carthage 38-10.

bird_fan
11-17-2014, 08:31 PM
OMG El Campo should be proud to be on the same field with Carthage talk about arrogance News Flash your not that special just another team in play off hope to go all the way

speedbump
11-17-2014, 08:31 PM
Coach S with all these freshmen, Sophomores, and juniors starting this year, the Rice Birds may win this year, but you sure better enjoy it if it happens. After the game tell me what you think of the freshmen linebacker and running back and a host of other under classmen. This is going to be a better game than you think it will be. The last time the Rice Birds faced the Dawgs, the Dawgs were out played in the fourth quarter. It will not be the case this time. These young Dawgs know how to play four full quarters and win or loose the Rice Birds will know they been in a game. They have faced 9 out of 11 good football teams and are still standing. You just keep thinking you will beat the Dawgs by 4 touch downs. I have no doubt the Rice Birds will be one of the best teams the Dawgs have faced, but they are coming to play and win or loose I am so proud of this team. Coach S and his staff have worked a miracle with all the injuries and youth and 19 brand new starters. God Bless and pray no more injuries to either team.

Never said the Birds would win by 4 TDs. Nobody did as far as I know.

speedbump
11-17-2014, 08:53 PM

Aint Marion or Luling either. Are you guys still playing football or dribbling?

YTBulldogs
11-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Aint Marion or Luling either. Are you guys still playing football or dribbling?

Hooping it up. Ya'll be joining us soon.

FYI: Check toughest schedules of all 4A's. I see ya'll way down there. :wave:

speedbump
11-17-2014, 09:16 PM

Schedules always look weak when you hand 90% of the teams on it a loss.

YTBulldogs
11-17-2014, 09:17 PM
Schedules always look weak when you hand 90% of the teams on it a loss.

:thumbsup:

Dawgfan64
11-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Not sure what El Campo is crowing about...seems like they played a pretty weak schedule and Carthage is having a disappointing year by their standards. Even in a slow year for Carthage, this may be one of the best teams that Ricebirds have seen. Stay out of TAPPS for opponents...come on, really??? Carthage 31-21:vrycnfsd:

Dawgs
11-17-2014, 09:49 PM
OMG El Campo should be proud to be on the same field with Carthage talk about arrogance News Flash your not that special just another team in play off hope to go all the way

Carthage is definitely all that. Title Town baby!! We are just proud to be in the 2nd round this year. Good accomplishment taking into account what we lost and how we started the season.

Remember in 2012 when y'all beat us in the semis and then got smoked in the finals? Y'all had unfinished business in 2013 just like us. We finished champs, y'all finished in the 1st round.

speedbump
11-17-2014, 09:54 PM
Not sure what El Campo is crowing about...seems like they played a pretty weak schedule and Carthage is having a disappointing year by their standards. Even in a slow year for Carthage, this may be one of the best teams that Ricebirds have seen. Stay out of TAPPS for opponents...come on, really??? Carthage 31-21:vrycnfsd:

What makes you think the Dogs can hold EC to 21 and how are they going to score that many?

speedbump
11-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Carthage is definitely all that. Title Town baby!! We are just proud to be in the 2nd round this year. Good accomplishment taking into account what we lost and how we started the season.

Remember in 2012 when y'all beat us in the semis and then got smoked in the finals? Y'all had unfinished business in 2013 just like us. We finished champs, y'all finished in the 1st round.

Any unfinished business we had was't because Carthage stopped our progress though, now was it.

Weebe
11-17-2014, 10:08 PM

It's 23 in D1. im guessing that translates to top 10 in D2.

By the way, La Grange is 26 in D2. You think they haven't beat anyone?

Edit: I was correct. El campo has a higher schedule rating than Yoakum. There would obviously be a greater disparity has Yoakum not won only 3 games.

Weebe
11-17-2014, 10:27 PM

Edit: I was correct. El campo has a higher schedule rating than Yoakum. There would obviously be a greater disparity had Yoakum not won only 7 games.

Corrected

YTBulldogs
11-17-2014, 10:33 PM
Corrected

:stirpot: You get that from scoop?

bird_fan
11-17-2014, 10:43 PM

YOU MEAN ARRORGANT TOWN! Last year we returned 3 starters and lost 6 starters due to injurys while u won it all when u returned almost a complete offense big difference for sure. Now you having a simular year as we did last year but still your arrorgance shock me... You dont intimadate any one from El Campo

YTBulldogs
11-17-2014, 10:56 PM
YOU MEAN ARRORGANT TOWN! Last year we returned 3 starters and lost 6 starters due to injurys while u won it all when u returned almost a complete offense big difference for sure. Now you having a simular year as we did last year but still your arrorgance shock me... You dont intimadate any one from El Campo

:iagree::1popcorn::stirpot: Game on in this bad boy. 35-30 now.

hollywood
11-17-2014, 11:57 PM
Dawgs just likes to :stirpot:! He's really harmless otherwise.

Dawgs
11-18-2014, 01:29 AM

Lighten up! It's ok. I'm just giving you guys a little business. I hope the ball team is as easy to fluster as you Birds.

hookandladder
11-18-2014, 08:56 AM

Edit: I was correct. El campo has a higher schedule rating than Yoakum. There would obviously be a greater disparity has Yoakum not won only 3 games.

La Grange really only faced two quaility teams this year, La Vernia was definitely the best followed by Giddings. The rest of the schedule was average at best, District was pitiful other then Giddings.

Pudlugger
11-18-2014, 09:39 AM
Liberty Hill Yoakum and Caldwell all good football teams in top 25 hook, so I'd respectfully disagree with your assertion that they are average at best. Columbus, Fredericksburg and Taylor are average while Smithville and Salado well you know...:cool:

cowboyandchrist
11-18-2014, 10:47 AM
What makes you think the Dogs can hold EC to 21 and how are they going to score that many?

The Dawg D is very good, will it hold the Rice Birds under 21 I don't know. The Dawgs are pretty darn good in causing turn overs.

Dawgs
11-18-2014, 11:06 AM
The Dawg D is very good, will it hold the Rice Birds under 21 I don't know. The Dawgs are pretty darn good in causing turn overs.

C&C it's been a "different" kinda season for sure. It was tough watching at the beginning of the season with all the mistakes, but it's turned into a season we can be proud of. Any win from this point forward is just more icing on the cake. I'm ready to see these boys come out and go toe to toe with the Rice Birds. We may not win, but we will go out swinging.

YTBulldogs
11-18-2014, 11:10 AM
C&C it's been a "different" kinda season for sure. It was tough watching at the beginning of the season with all the mistakes, but it's turned into a season we can be proud of. Any win from this point forward is just more icing on the cake. I'm ready to see these boys come out and go toe to toe with the Rice Birds. We may not win, but we will go out swinging.

Nothing to lose can be very powerful in a team's victory. Never know what these diapers will do once they get the idea about the game and competition. They seem to like winning more than losing based on progress they've made from the start.

Chillfan
11-18-2014, 11:17 AM
With Surratt anything is possible. He will have the dawgs ready.

Dawgs
11-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Carthage will need special teams to win the battle with EC, and we will need a defensive TD to have a chance to win. If we score a non-offensive TD, and establish the run early we will have a chance. I need to get some info on our RB situation. I'm not sure if we are getting any injured players back or not this week.

speedbump
11-18-2014, 11:24 AM

The Dogs have given up 270 pts. and teams with winning records have averaged 40 a game against them.I don't see how that translates to"very good"

Leopardfan201
11-18-2014, 11:36 AM
GIve me Carthage 34/27 in I believe not a upset

Leopardfan201
11-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Carthage is a young but very dangerous team . There sumbody i wouldn't want too play in the 2nd round

Dawgs
11-18-2014, 12:03 PM
The Dogs have given up 270 pts. and teams with winning records have averaged 40 a game against them.I don't see how that translates to"very good"

The defense has gotten better all season long. The offense put them in very bad situations many times. Points allowed is not a good stat. Heck in the Gilmer game there defense scored 21 or 28 points I can't remember exactly. Early in the season Hallsville put 50 on the Dawgs D, but again we were put in bad situations and pushing enrollment of almost double. We played good defensively against Nac, and they have a potent offense. GW was able to move the ball and racked up a lot of rushing yards, but we made some stops in that game. Look at district. That's the tale of the tape. Carthage never performs very well in pre-district especially with the strength of schedule we had this season. Look at the games in district against 4a D1 competition. We will see how good they are Friday. Like I said we had trouble stopping GW running game. If EC rushing attack is as good as the Bears Carthage will be in trouble.

Dawgs
11-18-2014, 12:10 PM
The defense has gotten better all season long. The offense put them in very bad situations many times. Points allowed is not a good stat. Heck in the Gilmer game there defense scored 21 or 28 points I can't remember exactly. Early in the season Hallsville put 50 on the Dawgs D, but again we were put in bad situations and pushing enrollment of almost double. We played good defensively against Nac, and they have a potent offense. GW was able to move the ball and racked up a lot of rushing yards, but we made some stops in that game. Look at district. That's the tale of the tape. Carthage never performs very well in pre-district especially with the strength of schedule we had this season. Look at the games in district against 4a D1 competition. We will see how good they are Friday. Like I said we had trouble stopping GW running game. If EC rushing attack is as good as the Bears Carthage will be in trouble.

Last 6 games against 4a D1 competition. 38, 7, 14, 0, 21, 0. That's 13 points per game. You can spin the stats however you want. Carthage has a good defense. Can we stop EC? Idk. You guys might score 60, but I think our defense will keep us in this one.

WhartonTigers
11-18-2014, 01:00 PM

Carthage I wouldn't dwell on the past like that, winning championships means nothing especially with a record like yours.. Every year is a new year, a chance for a new state champion. El Campo has a good chance this year. I PROMISE YOU Kevin Dove may be 230 lbs. But he is just as fast as our guys from Wharton. They compete nationally on a relay together. So if you miss a tackle on him in space, PLAY THE FIGHT SONG! EL CAMPO BY 40.....GO 59 South!

YTBulldogs
11-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Carthage I wouldn't dwell on the past like that, winning championships means nothing especially with a record like yours.. Every year is a new year, a chance for a new state champion. El Campo has a good chance this year. I PROMISE YOU Kevin Dove may be 230 lbs. But he is just as fast as our guys from Wharton. They compete nationally on a relay together. So if you miss a tackle on him in space, PLAY THE FIGHT SONG! EL CAMPO BY 40.....GO 59 South!
yeah. :stirpot: What he said. 35 to 35 now.

Dawgs
11-18-2014, 01:17 PM

Ok, Thanks.

YTBulldogs
11-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Ok, Thanks.

Opps, 35-34 now. Come on Dawgs. Just OK, thanks? Ya'll got to have a player that's ran nationally too or played basketball and can jump out the gym, dunk both hands. Something. Not just, ok-thanks.

Dawgs
11-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Opps, 35-34 now. Come on Dawgs. Just OK, thanks? Ya'll got to have a player that's ran nationally too or played basketball and can jump out the gym, dunk both hands. Something. Not just, ok-thanks.

Our O-Line would win a national fat man relay!!!

YTBulldogs
11-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Our O-Line would win a national fat man relay!!!

36-35. Gotta love the Hogs, that can get to the table quick.

Dawgs
11-18-2014, 01:37 PM

Wharton and EC aren't in ETX therefore it is blasphemy to mention speed. EC is a bunch of slow birds!!

bd62
11-18-2014, 02:11 PM
36-35. Gotta love the Hogs, that can get to the table quick.

Stir that pot YTB. Lol

YTBulldogs
11-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Stir that pot YTB. Lol

:wave:

bird_fan
11-18-2014, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=Dawgs;1842544]Wharton and EC aren't in ETX therefore it is blasphemy to mention speed. EC is a bunch of slow birds!!
Remember them slow Birds http://youtu.be/MAp66ITKd18

YTBulldogs
11-18-2014, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=Dawgs;1842544]Wharton and EC aren't in ETX therefore it is blasphemy to mention speed. EC is a bunch of slow birds!!

:eek: 36-36

Dawgs
11-18-2014, 03:04 PM

Kid was a beast, but slow as Christmas! He wore us down, I'll give y'all that.

Snotbubbles
11-18-2014, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=bird_fan;1842566]

:eek: 36-36

:spitlol: That was on the national relay team?

Dogs_21
11-18-2014, 08:23 PM
East texas has speed but they not the only area that is fast!!! El Campo by 3Tds. The run game is a beast.

garciap77
11-18-2014, 08:56 PM
How bout Carthage 21-20?

:2thumbsup

Dawgs
11-19-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm beginning to think we have a chance in this one. Idk know why I just have a funny feeling Surratt is going to pull one out here. I know he hasn't forgotten about giving that game away 2 years ago. The Dawgs will be ready!

Scoop27
11-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Don't think it will be close a the Ricebirds win by 3 plus touchdowns.

speedbump
11-19-2014, 07:10 PM
[QUOTE=bird_fan;1842566]

Kid was a beast, but slow as Christmas! He wore us down, I'll give y'all that.

If you think he was a beast, wait till you get a load of whats coming at you this time around.

Dawgs
11-19-2014, 07:24 PM
[QUOTE=Dawgs;1842571]

If you think he was a beast, wait till you get a load of whats coming at you this time around.

We been hearing about him. So you got a Dove playing for the Rice birds? Such a threatening thought! What are we going to do? A Dove and a bunch of Rice birds are after us!! Really I hope for a good game. Carthage might be out gunned. I hope we can keep it close. I gotta feeling we are going to surprise some people this week, but in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised to see EC win 50-21 or something like that. If they are on the same level or close in talent to 2012, it's going to be tough sledding. We gave that game to you guys, but it was still close. This team is no where near as good as our 2012 team. Whole different class.

speedbump
11-19-2014, 07:42 PM
[QUOTE=speedbump;1842981]

We been hearing about him. So you got a Dove playing for the Rice birds? Such a threatening thought! What are we going to do? A Dove and a bunch of Rice birds are after us!! Really I hope for a good game. Carthage might be out gunned. I hope we can keep it close. I gotta feeling we are going to surprise some people this week, but in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised to see EC win 50-21 or something like that. If they are on the same level or close in talent to 2012, it's going to be tough sledding. We gave that game to you guys, but it was still close. This team is no where near as good as our 2012 team. Whole different class.

Lots of folks down here are a little worried. They know all about the Carthage tradition and figure the Dogs are going to want some revenge. They all expect a real tough battle down to the wire. I figure that there will be a getting to know you period of maybe one qtr,before the Birds start to control the game. I'm sticking with my 31-10 prediction but I know it could be much closer. The winner gets Navasota so at least they will get a breather before the semi finals. LOL

lostaussie
11-19-2014, 08:59 PM
Carthage is a young but very dangerous team . There sumbody i wouldn't want too play in the 2nd round

This^^^

Aggie98
11-19-2014, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=Dawgs;1842985]

Lots of folks down here are a little worried. They know all about the Carthage tradition and figure the Dogs are going to want some revenge. They all expect a real tough battle down to the wire. I figure that there will be a getting to know you period of maybe one qtr,before the Birds start to control the game. I'm sticking with my 31-10 prediction but I know it could be much closer. The winner gets Navasota so at least they will get a breather before the semi finals. LOL

I have the utmost respect for Carthage and their program, but their odds of winning this one are pretty slim. They're down to like their 5th or 6th string RB, and their passing game is highly inconsistent. They will be doing well to score 21 pts. The Carthage run defense is pretty good, but I don't think they can hold down the Dove kid for long. I think it'll end up 35-14 EC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookandladder
11-20-2014, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=speedbump;1842981]

I do not beleive this years team (EC) is near as good as the 2012 team, that team had more talent then this years team.

speedbump
11-20-2014, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=Dawgs;1842985]

I do not beleive this years team (EC) is near as good as the 2012 team, that team had more talent then this years team.

The biggest difference isn't the talent, it's the experience. This team is much younger.

Dawgs
11-20-2014, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=speedbump;1842995]

I have the utmost respect for Carthage and their program, but their odds of winning this one are pretty slim. They're down to like their 5th or 6th string RB, and their passing game is highly inconsistent. They will be doing well to score 21 pts. The Carthage run defense is pretty good, but I don't think they can hold down the Dove kid for long. I think it'll end up 35-14 EC.

I think you are spot on here. Like I said earlier when your down to your 5th or 6th string RB that means you are way down on your depth chart not only at the RB position but your overall skill position depth. At 740 enrollment, you don't have a 5th string RB. Our kids have stepped up, but it might take it's toll this week. I will say I am super excited about 2 freshman. Hunter Townsend and Mykel Gates. Townsend will be a big part of the offense this week. He is going to be an absolute stud. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out I to a player like Ian Sadler. I know that's a heck of a comparison, but he can do it all. Run the ball, catch the ball, and throw it.

This game is going to tell a lot about both teams. If Carthage wins it means they have grown tremendously from the start of district. I honestly believe the defense will have to hold EC under 21 to win, an that will be difficult. For EC they need to dominate IMO to have a shot next week against Sota.

bird_fan
11-20-2014, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=Aggie98;1843062]

I think you are spot on here. Like I said earlier when your down to your 5th or 6th string RB that means you are way down on your depth chart not only at the RB position but your overall skill position depth. At 740 enrollment, you don't have a 5th string RB. Our kids have stepped up, but it might take it's toll this week. I will say I am super excited about 2 freshman. Hunter Townsend and Mykel Gates. Townsend will be a big part of the offense this week. He is going to be an absolute stud. I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out I to a player like Ian Sadler. I know that's a heck of a comparison, but he can do it all. Run the ball, catch the ball, and throw it.

This game is going to tell a lot about both teams. If Carthage wins it means they have grown tremendously from the start of district. I honestly believe the defense will have to hold EC under 21 to win, an that will be difficult. For EC they need to dominate IMO to have a shot next week against Sota.

Carthage sounds like last years EC team. They only returned 3 starters and lost 6 starters through the season. and were down to 3rd and 4th string QB So I know how fustrating that can be. When they made the playoff they werent much better than a JV team. so in that way I do feel for you. Still want the Birds to win.

itmoney100
11-20-2014, 04:29 PM
The Rematch!!!!
http://etsn.fm/streaking-carthage-faces-off-with-el-campo-in-rematch-of-2012-state-semifinal/

cowboyandchrist
11-20-2014, 05:32 PM
I believe in my Dawgs even though the Rice Birds are a great team this year, I am picking my Dawgs 21 to Rice Birds 20. If the Dawgs can hold the Rice Birds under 21 points, we got a chance.
God Bless and pray no injuries.

bansheefan03
11-20-2014, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=hookandladder;1843076]

The biggest difference isn't the talent, it's the experience. This team is much younger.

Y'all have 25 seniors most starters I would not consider that young

speedbump
11-20-2014, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=speedbump;1843130]

Y'all have 25 seniors most starters I would not consider that young

We always have 29 seniors. Who are our starters?

bansheefan03
11-20-2014, 08:16 PM
By lookin at roster mostly everyone except two backs and some we/db. I guess that shows the advantage y'all have with enrollment we rarely have that many and only have 5-6 that r starters this year i would consider that a young team. How many guys did you return from last years team

bansheefan03
11-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Is el campo still biggest school in 4a?

Scoop27
11-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Despite's El Campo's 4A enrollment figure, the city appears to be booming with a lot of several strip businesses off the loop near Walmart and Buc-ees. They have a lot of good places to eat, a movie theater, a boling alley, a skating rink, and Greek Bros Oyster Bar and Saloon with live music.

Aggie98
11-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Despite's El Campo's 4A enrollment figure, the city appears to be booming with a lot of several strip businesses off the loop near Walmart and Buc-ees. They have a lot of good places to eat, a movie theater, a boling alley, a skating rink, and Greek Bros Oyster Bar and Saloon with live music.

Buc-ee's? I'm jealous.

speedbump
11-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Is el campo still biggest school in 4a?

Never has been.

Snotbubbles
11-20-2014, 09:45 PM
They have a lot of good places to eat, a movie theater, a boling alley, a skating rink, and Greek Bros Oyster Bar and Saloon with live music.

Maybe scoops sources know something after all? Is that alley taking good players away from Boling and giving them to EC?

Dawgs
11-20-2014, 10:06 PM
Never has been.

Ya, never biggest. I think both Ville and Kilgore were bigger in the previous alignment. With the most recent alignment the cut off was raised to 1056. EC is sitting at 990. So not the biggest, but probably in the top 85% or so in the state. Carthage is at 723 with the bottom cut off 686. So it will be one of the smallest versus one of the biggest for sure. Not an excuse just giving information.

Weebe
11-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Enrollment can be misleading. El Campo, historically and currently, regularly beat(s) schools with bigger enrollments. Carthage does the same.

It's about demographics.

Does anyone really think that Carthage wouldn't regularly beat all of the 5a and 6a schools in the Valley despite significantly lower enrollment?

Dawgs
11-21-2014, 08:24 AM
Enrollment can be misleading. El Campo, historically and currently, regularly beat(s) schools with bigger enrollments. Carthage does the same.

It's about demographics.

Does anyone really think that Carthage wouldn't regularly beat all of the 5a and 6a schools in the Valley despite significantly lower enrollment?

Not sure about in the Valley, but Carthage would be an average program playing in 5a in our area. But you are correct it's all about demographics and tradition. Having 1500 kids doesn't do you any good if you have 60 come out for the team. Also it won't do you any good if out of those 60 only 10 are athletically inclined. So I will say you are right. Carthage regularly plays schools with 2 or 3 times enrollment from our area in pre-district. That's why we usually start district 3-2. If we played bigger schools from other areas we might fare better.

Anyways, enrollment has nothing to do with tonight. They have split the divisions to make it as fair as possible, and I think that it is. This is about 2 good programs coming out and competing.

Dawgs
11-21-2014, 04:18 PM
Well it's almost game time. To all the fans please travel safe. Roads should be pretty bad. Let's hope it dries up a little before kickoff. I want to see both teams able to play at there fullest without weather conditions. It's been fun talking a little smack with you Birds. In all seriousness EC seems like a great community that loves their ball team. Carthage is a young team with a lot of injuries, but we are Carthage and will come to play no matter the odds. We will need by far our best game of the season, and a little luck to win this one. I mess around a lot on this site about the Bulldogs, but I would like to think as a community we have won with class, and this year we remembered how to lose with class. No matter what happens the Bulldogs will play to the end and hold their head high. We have overcame a lot of adversity, and I for one am proud these boys kept fighting. They could have folded up like a cheap tent, but they kept there heads down and kept pushing. People can say what they want, but after the way we started the season, this has truly turned into a great and successful season no matter the outcome tonight. This is how champions are born!! It's a good time to be a Bulldog!!

Dawgs
11-21-2014, 08:59 PM
EC a lot smaller in the trenches than I thought they would be. Dawgs 14 - 0.

Bosqueville
11-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Carthage coaches getting more out of less!!

Dawgs
11-21-2014, 09:18 PM
EC has good O-line and Dove is a load!! Going to be a good game. Young Dawgs need to limit mistakes to have a chance.

Dawgs
11-21-2014, 09:22 PM
14 - 14. All Dove on that drive. EC D-Line is small, but there O-Line and RB more than make up for it.

Dawgs
11-21-2014, 09:33 PM
Wow Dove is a load. We don't want none. Carthage needs to get their running game going. 21-14 EC 2:30 left in the half.

Dawgs
11-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Carthage had a good drive that stalled out before half. Turned it over in downs. EC kneeled it out. 21-14 EC half. EC receives after halftime. Good ball game. EC is good. Carthage is playing pretty well to. One turnover cost us 7 points.

bansheefan03
11-21-2014, 10:01 PM
El campo trashy fans u can hear them yelling f.u. Carthage from other side

Dawgs
11-21-2014, 10:26 PM
EC just got freakin bailed out!!! Roughing the passer called on an interception! That was BS!

Dawgs
11-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Carthage answers 28-21. 1:42 left in the 3rd. These Dawgs came to play!

scrub c
11-21-2014, 10:46 PM

Classy

Hater
11-21-2014, 11:11 PM

Not the high and mighty Redbird fans, they'd never do that.........kinda like they would never start a fight and have their entire team run out on the field to join in. Never. :rolleyes:

Weebe
11-21-2014, 11:17 PM
Penalties and turnovers have hurt El Campo all year. Better clean that up before next week.

cowboyandchrist
11-21-2014, 11:20 PM
My hats is off to these young Dawgs, what a battle they fought tonight. Too many mistakes to beat a team like the Rice Birds. Great effort from what I believe will be the 2015 and 2016 state champs. The Rice Birds are a good football team that can run the ball with the big man, but if they want to advance they better throw the ball more or the Rattlers will end their season.
I could not be more proud of you Dawgs. Good luck to the Rice Birds you earned the victory tonight.

Weebe
11-21-2014, 11:28 PM

I was on El Campo side. Never heard that.

Nor have I ever heard El Campo fans yell anything similar.

cards4me
11-21-2014, 11:28 PM

They probably just had to much to drink out in the parking lot before the game . Sometimes you just need to overlook those kind of people. There are some good people in El Campo .

Dawgs
11-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Stopped on a 4th and 1 on an incomplete pass from the 15 yard line to end our season. It hurts, but that's football. How bout that 5th string RB!! These boys left it all out there. 2 plays really hurt us. The roughing the passer on the int, and the holding call on the last drive on 1st and 10 from the 15. Those are young team mistakes.

Hats off to EC. Heck of a run game. Have a safe trip home and good luck next week. Y'all got a good football team.

For those in attendance you just saw a team that is about to return 18 - 20 starters and has an absolute loaded under class. I might catch some grief, but you just witnessed the start of another dynasty. 15', 16', and 17' back to back to back state champs. It's a good day to be a Bulldog!! Great season boys!!

toddg
11-21-2014, 11:46 PM
Stopped on a 4th and 1 on an incomplete pass from the 15 yard line to end our season. It hurts, but that's football. How bout that 5th string RB!! These boys left it all out there. 2 plays really hurt us. The roughing the passer on the int, and the holding call on the last drive on 1st and 10 from the 15. Those are young team mistakes.

Hats off to EC. Heck of a run game. Have a safe trip home and good luck next week. Y'all got a good football team.

For those in attendance you just saw a team that is about to return 18 - 20 starters returning and a loaded under class. I might catch some grief, but you just witnessed the start of another dynasty. 15', 16', and 17' back to back to back state champs. It's a good day to be a Bulldog!! Great season boys!!

ruh roh...2 CandCs...

Weebe
11-21-2014, 11:50 PM

For those in attendance you just saw a team that is about to return 18 - 20 starters and has an absolute loaded under class. I might catch some grief, but you just witnessed the start of another dynasty. 15', 16', and 17' back to back to back state champs. It's a good day to be a Bulldog!! Great season boys!!

Same to you guys. Hope to see yall next year.

itmoney100
11-21-2014, 11:52 PM
You may have won the battle!!!! But you still in this war called the playoffs!!! People remember State Championship not a second round win in the playoffs. Oh yea and that team you just played was full of sophomores and freshmen!! Well back for our state title next year. Dawg Dynasty!!!!

toddg
11-21-2014, 11:57 PM
You may have won the battle!!!! But you still in this war called the playoffs!!! People remember State Championship not a second round win in the playoffs. Oh yea and that team you just played was full of sophomores and freshmen!! Well back for our state title next year. Dawg Dynasty!!!! where were all the juniors and seniors?

Dawgs
11-22-2014, 12:04 AM
where were all the juniors and seniors?

In the band or in the stands. Strange. We just had a down senior class. It happens. There are plenty of juniors. Guys are getting a little over zealous. Kinda like the yahoo whos predicting a 3-peat after getting bounced in the 2nd round. Dawg Dynasty!!!

toddg
11-22-2014, 12:17 AM
In the band or in the stands. Strange. We just had a down senior class. It happens. There are plenty of juniors. Guys are getting a little over zealous. Kinda like the yahoo who Os predicting a 3-peat after getting bounced in the 2nd round. Dawg Dynasty!!!
LOL! and DAWG DYNASTY is greatness!

Dawgs
11-22-2014, 12:26 AM
LOL! and DAWG DYNASTY is greatness!

Hahaha. It's true. A couple other good ones that want to "thug" it up. Can't play for the Dawgs. Plain and simple.

Weebe
11-22-2014, 02:35 AM
Strange. We just had a down senior class. It happens. !

El Campo had the same thing happen last year. First down year in many years.

El Campo doesn't consistently have talent like Carthage, but we have a great coach and hard working kids. I think we'll meet quite a bit in the future.

Dawgs
11-22-2014, 02:47 AM
El Campo had the same thing happen last year. First down year in many years.

El Campo doesn't consistently have talent like Carthage, but we have a great coach and hard working kids. I think we'll meet quite a bit in the future.

I think so too...look forward to more battles in the future. Both games we have played have been awesome. Hopefully we can get on the right side of one in the future.

cowboyandchrist
11-22-2014, 08:56 AM
Now that this old man has had time to reflect on last nights game. The Rice Birds are no joke, I haven't seen many of the other good teams in D1 from around the state but I think the Rice Birds have a chance to win it all.
They are well coached and have good players. They run ball very well with the big man. I thought the Dawgs stopped him pretty good and he still rushed for 140 yards. I believe the Rice Birds will have to throw the ball more if they want to beat Navasota. The Q/B threw two good passes last night for long gains and will need more of that to keep the Navasota D from loading the box. I was angry in 2012 because we had the best team and should have won that game. This time around the Rice Birds were the better team and beat the Dawgs with just plain old hard nose football. The Rice Birds did these young Dawgs a big favor last night by showing them they could play with and almost beat one of the best teams in the state. I am big time excited about what the Dawgs will look like next year, I believe they will be the team to beat. They will have a full year to think about the what if factor. Coach S and staff may have done the best coaching job since they have been here. All those injuries, 19 new starters, and almost beating one of the best was just flat out amazing coaching.
God Bless both teams and fans, good luck to the Rice Birds the rest of the way.
l

bansheefan03
11-22-2014, 09:23 AM
I was on El Campo side. Never heard that.

Nor have I ever heard El Campo fans yell anything similar.
I can promise u it did could hear it clear as could be. I think it came from where I'm guessing students were all bunched up on bottom north end. One of them was yelling into bullhorn u could hear most that was yelled

Weebe
11-22-2014, 09:45 AM
If it happened, I hope the school officials dealt with them appropriately.

Dawgs
11-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Now that this old man has had time to reflect on last nights game. The Rice Birds are no joke, I haven't seen many of the other good teams in D1 from around the state but I think the Rice Birds have a chance to win it all.
They are well coached and have good players. They run ball very well with the big man. I thought the Dawgs stopped him pretty good and he still rushed for 140 yards. I believe the Rice Birds will have to throw the ball more if they want to beat Navasota. The Q/B threw two good passes last night for long gains and will need more of that to keep the Navasota D from loading the box. I was angry in 2012 because we had the best team and should have won that game. This time around the Rice Birds were the better team and beat the Dawgs with just plain old hard nose football. The Rice Birds did these young Dawgs a big favor last night by showing them they could play with and almost beat one of the best teams in the state. I am big time excited about what the Dawgs will look like next year, I believe they will be the team to beat. They will have a full year to think about the what if factor. Coach S and staff may have done the best coaching job since they have been here. All those injuries, 19 new starters, and almost beating one of the best was just flat out amazing coaching.
God Bless both teams and fans, good luck to the Rice Birds the rest of the way.
l

C&C you are right about a lot of your post, and I love your enthusiasm when it comes to the Dawgs. We are going to be awesome in the future. But unless we made just leaps and bounds progression in the last 2 weeks, EC is no where near one of the top teams in the state. Not left playing anyway. Good football team? Yes. Top team? No, no way. We looked more athletic than EC and we are the less athletic than we have been in 10 years. There O-Line was big, but 2 or 3 of them were big in the wrong way if you catch my drift. Are they well coached....heck ya. Kevin Dove is a beast!!! But he was met at the line many times. He just powered thru for 8! O-Line wasn't getting much push. You're not winning many 3rd round match ups with the make up EC has. I agree with another poster EC was much better in 2012. Anyway just my 2 cents. I do know 2 things: EC is still playing and they are 2-0 against the Dawgs. My opinion of them them doesn't count for too much.

Starlinmarlin
11-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Regarding the toughing the passer call, How was that bailed out? The QB was blasted After he let go of the ball. Also, the ball was not intercepted, the defender dropped the ball on his way to the ground.

In the end, both teams played a heck of a game that was very exciting to watch. The Dawgs came out and landed some quick blows but EC was able to withstand them early and then reel off 28 unanswered points. Congrats to the Dawgs for a tough fought game and for their district championship. The Dawgs look like they have a great foundation to build on for the coming years. (Very impressed With the D, especially the speed off of the edges.)

Starlinmarlin
11-22-2014, 11:44 AM
From Hater:
Not the high and mighty Redbird fans, they'd never do that.........kinda like they would never start a fight and have their entire team run out on the field to join in. Never.

What the heck is this referring to?

speedbump
11-23-2014, 09:16 AM
From Hater:
Not the high and mighty Redbird fans, they'd never do that.........kinda like they would never start a fight and have their entire team run out on the field to join in. Never.

What the heck is this referring to?

Nothing - some just handle defeat better than others