PDA

View Full Version : Round 2: Gilmer (11-0) vs Waco Connally (7-4)

buckeyebob
11-15-2014, 10:50 AM
Gilmer (11-0) vs Waco Connally (7-4)
Friday Night 7:30
Hanby Stadium -410 East Davis Street- Mesquite, TX 75149

Don't know much about 'em...feed back from anyone...we have had good results on Waco schools.

poisoned10
11-15-2014, 05:41 PM
I don't know anything about Connally, but after looking at their scores I would expect Gilmer to win.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

waterboy
11-17-2014, 09:22 AM
If I'm not mistaken, this is the second meeting between these two teams. I believe we met the Waco Connally Cadets in 1985 in the same stadium. We won that game 14-6, if memory serves.

Somehow, I don't believe this game will be a low-scoring game like that one, nor do I think it will be that close.

44INAROW
11-17-2014, 09:34 AM
Little bit of trivia - Cuero grad, Mike Rabe is the AD/HC as well as Kaeron Johnson is on the staff.

panfan
11-17-2014, 10:14 AM
Cadets have some serious speed. Their QB is mostly the go to man. But they have some RBs and receivers that can fly too. But, at least when we played, they killed themselves with penalties, and defense had a hard time stopping the run. Gilmer gets on top early, the cadets may self destruct.

Rabid Cougar
11-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Very, Very fast. They are all over the place as a team though. If they show up it will be a track meet. If they don't, Gilmer will slaughter them.

movethechain
11-17-2014, 11:22 AM
I watched some of the Cadet's videos and I'm sorry, but they didn't look that fast to me. Maybe I've just gotten adjusted to the speed of the Bux this year and everybody else just seems to be in slow motion. Playing Tatum will adjust your sense of speed as well. Something to really warp your brain, is to watch Gilmer's Blake Lynch as he jogs away from defenders.

waterboy
11-17-2014, 11:43 AM
I watched some of the Cadet's videos and I'm sorry, but they didn't look that fast to me. Maybe I've just gotten adjusted to the speed of the Bux this year and everybody else just seems to be in slow motion. Playing Tatum will adjust your sense of speed as well. Something to really warp your brain, is to watch Gilmer's Blake Lynch as he jogs away from defenders.

Or Kris Boyd..., or Chase Tate..., or Jamel Jackson..., or Nick Smith..., or Quinn Fluellen..., or ...

d0tc0m
11-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Haha it really does look like the Gilmer kids are jogging half the time ... and still pulling away from the pack. Just an absolute fantastic job put together by the Gilmer recruiting department this season.

poisoned10
11-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Haha it really does look like the Gilmer kids are jogging half the time ... and still pulling away from the pack. Just an absolute fantastic job put together by the Gilmer recruiting department this season.

As much as they get paid, they better be doing a great job! :D

waterboy
11-17-2014, 01:09 PM
As much as they get paid, they better be doing a great job! :D

Yep!:D

They have to be D1 caliber, or they won't get any offers! Anybody got any leads for next year?:devil:

waterboy
11-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Is there any video out there online of the Cadets?

movethechain
11-17-2014, 02:39 PM
You have to really hunt for any. Here is one that you can either scroll to their game recap or just start at the beginning of the broadcast and they eventually come up.

http://www.kwtx.com/sports/headlines/High-School-Football-Playoff-Schedule-282032491.html

Rabid Cougar
11-17-2014, 04:44 PM
All you need to know is that they blew out Cameron. The same Cameron that has its way with the Tatums and Daingerfields of the world.

d0tc0m
11-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Well, Connally also gave up 82 points to Mexia. And no disrespect to the Black Cats, but I don't think they have the personnel that matches up to Gilmer. So I think the Buckeyes will be just fine this week. Starters out by 3rd quarter getting ready for Gladewater next week.

buckeyebob
11-17-2014, 07:40 PM
Yep!:D

They have to be D1 caliber, or they won't get any offers! Anybody got any leads for next year?:devil:

My understanding is the 6th grade is swelling with move ins...some are band members

cowboyandchrist
11-17-2014, 07:58 PM
All you need to know is that they blew out Cameron. The same Cameron that has its way with the Tatums and Daingerfields of the world.

I could have sworn that Daingerfield won their 3rd straight state championship against the Yo, I must be mistaken.

waterboy
11-18-2014, 08:38 AM
I could have sworn that Daingerfield won their 3rd straight state championship against the Yo, I must be mistaken.

No, they met two years in a row in the title game, with Daingerfield winning it in '11, and Cameron winning it in '12. That was their last meeting.

eagle1962
11-18-2014, 04:47 PM
gilmer all the way
gilmer45 connally 12

poisoned10
11-18-2014, 05:09 PM
gilmer all the way
gilmer45 connally 12

But I thought you said Tatum all the way?

waterboy
11-18-2014, 05:13 PM
It don't matter. Just win one game at a time. This week it's Connally.

poisoned10
11-18-2014, 05:21 PM
It don't matter. Just win one game at a time. This week it's Connally.

I really enjoy getting to see new teams and this year has been great in that sense. Melissa, Nevada Community and now Waco Connally are all teams that I haven't seen prior to this year.

I've never seen Fairfield play before. I wouldn't be upset to get to see them next week.

waterboy
11-18-2014, 05:26 PM
I really enjoy getting to see new teams and this year has been great in that sense. Melissa, Nevada Community and now Waco Connally are all teams that I haven't seen prior to this year.

I've never seen Fairfield play before. I wouldn't be upset to get to see them next week.

I agree. I have seen Gilmer play Connally before back before you were born, lol! 1985 was the year. We beat them at the same stadium in the same round by a score of 14-6. Somehow I think the score will be considerably higher in this one, but the result will be the same in my opinion.

As for Fairfield, they will have their hands full this week with Gladewater. As much as I would like for the Buckeyes to shut the Bear fans up, it still wouldn't bother me if they lost to Fairfield. After all, I do NOT like Gladewater at all. Either way, if Gilmer is fortunate enough to win this week, next week the road gets a little bit tougher.

poisoned10
11-18-2014, 05:30 PM
I agree. I have seen Gilmer play Connally before back before you were born, lol! 1985 was the year. .

I was 2 in 1985 thank you very much!

waterboy
11-18-2014, 06:06 PM

Okay..., sorry..., so do you remember going? I know your Dad was probably there, lol!

Aggie98
11-18-2014, 07:00 PM
Gilmer will roll. Connally fans will be holding their collective breaths everytime Gilmer snaps the football because they are literally 1 broken tackle from a TD on nearly every play.

poisoned10
11-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Okay..., sorry..., so do you remember going? I know your Dad was probably there, lol!

I don't. The first game that I remember going to was in Tatum and it was pouring down rain. I don't remember anything about the game though. Just that it was raining like crazy.

buckeyebob
11-19-2014, 08:13 AM

Geeeeez...I got underwear older than you

waterboy
11-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Looks like it's gonna be a wet one. Does the weather help one team or the other?

buckeyebob
11-19-2014, 09:08 PM
Looks like it's gonna be a wet one. Does the weather help one team or the other?

We practice in the wet...snooty boys have an indoor practice facility...ours is an outdoor practice facility...we should be fine

Rabid Cougar
11-20-2014, 12:04 PM
We practice in the wet...snooty boys have an indoor practice facility...ours is an outdoor practice facility...we should be fine

Connally is the other end of the spectrum of snooty.

Rabid Cougar
11-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Gilmer will roll. Connally fans will be holding their collective breaths everytime Gilmer snaps the football because they are literally 1 broken tackle from a TD on nearly every play.

If there is any team that can match Gilmer as far a team speed, it will be Connally.

44INAROW
11-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Geeeeez...I got underwear older than you

I was thinking the same thing :)

waterboy
11-20-2014, 12:42 PM
If there is any team that can match Gilmer as far a team speed, it will be Connally.

This is what are coaches are saying, too. They can pretty much match us in team speed. Execution may be a different matter altogether, though. I look for high scoring game in this one, relatively speaking, that is. If our defense can contain their QB and RBs and force them to have to throw, the Cadets will have a tough time keeping up. Connally's defense has allowed quite a few points against the better offenses they've faced, and this Gilmer offense is one of the best. It'll be an interesting matchup.

poisoned10
11-20-2014, 12:46 PM

I agree that they have some very fast players. Their QB #10 Kristian Brown, #1 James Davis and #2 Isreal Williams appear to be about as fast as anyone from Gilmer. But I believe overall team speed, Gilmer is faster.

I do have a small sample size. I've only watched the Fairfield and Madisonville games. That is just my take from those 2 games.

buckeyebob
11-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Connally is the other end of the spectrum of snooty.

The snooty I was referring to are Tatum, Carthage...rich school district with all the nice stuff...we on the other hand are poor...we get new uniforms with a State Championship...the ones we have now are tattered