PDA

View Full Version : Andrews vs Big Spring 7:00pm Friday Ratliff Stadium Odessa

Razorback88
11-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Re-match of Oct 3 game won by Andrews 43-42. Should be a good one. Can't wait.

JVDAD
11-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Interested to see how good Andrews is. They have played a pretty soft schedule overall with the exceptions of BS and Sweetwater which they were 1-1 in those match ups. I'm going with a battle tested Steers program in this rematch.

hollywood
11-15-2014, 11:23 AM
Andrews is good! Have heard from those that know more. Their only blemish is to Sweetwater who is no slouch in DII. I think Andrews gets the win again, but I'm hoping Big Spring wins to better the chances of a Stephenville rematch! :evilgrin::1popcorn:

slingshot
11-15-2014, 11:26 AM
I'll go with Big Spring by one... something like 56-55. Another shootout...

garciap77
11-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Big Spring!!!!

Rattler
11-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Andrews

Texboy 732000
11-15-2014, 02:30 PM
Andrews by 14
Starters have not played more than 3 min into the 3rd quarter in last 5 games. Starting defense has not allowed a score in last 5 games.

Razorback88
11-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Big Spring kinda peaked early-I'm going with the Mustangs by 14+

slingshot
11-16-2014, 11:53 AM
Don't really think they peaked--just think that they have had a hard time dealing with multiple injuries. Last I heard they have had 4 starting O linemen go down with season ending injuries. That is hard for any team to overcome--esp one with a mediocre defense. They are still very dangerous with the offensive weapons they have...

toddg
11-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Andrews runs away with this one

here4Villa
11-16-2014, 02:16 PM
As much as I wish Big Spring would win to set up the possible 'Ville/BS rematch I just don't see it. Andrews is to strong. I say Andrews does to BS what Wylie did. Andrews by ALOT!

Deuce
11-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Probably the best matchup in D1 R1 this week! Should be a high scoring game!

Steernation
11-18-2014, 12:46 PM
im going with the other steers! big springs by 7!

Razorback88
11-18-2014, 05:59 PM
I heard from some BS folks that the Steers had some starters fail-anyone know if this is accurate?

hollywood
11-18-2014, 06:03 PM
I heard from some BS folks that the Steers had some starters fail-anyone know if this is accurate?

Always rumors of this happening this time of year.

CaribouLou
11-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Big Spring by 14 at least. Good luck 'stangs you might need it this week.

Caprocker
11-19-2014, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=Razorback88;1842637]I heard from some BS folks that the Steers had some starters fail-anyone know if this is accurate?[/QUOTE

no failures..full strength

ccmom
11-19-2014, 11:30 AM
I'd like to be able to see this one if we weren't going to be in Midland watching the Bulldogs. Should be intense!!

Deuce
11-19-2014, 11:31 AM
What are your thoughts on this one Caprocker? What will Big Spring have to do different to get a win the 2nd time around?

Caprocker
11-19-2014, 12:11 PM
What are your thoughts on this one Caprocker? What will Big Spring have to do different to get a win the 2nd time around?

play better defense..last time we played the steers gave up a buttload of offense to hammack. there we are lot of outside issues prior to game time..graham hangover, homecoming and a few other things...not to mention that andrews offense is high octane. they're as good offensively as we've played this year.

Sville
11-19-2014, 02:06 PM
Has BS got their hurt players on the OL back?

Razorback88
11-19-2014, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=Razorback88;1842637]I heard from some BS folks that the Steers had some starters fail-anyone know if this is accurate?[/QUOTE

no failures..full strength

Big Spring has had issues with grades in the past. Good to hear. Will make the game more exciting. O/U I'm saying @ 100

Caprocker
11-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Has BS got their hurt players on the OL back?

o line is healed back to full strength..i stand corrected there was one grade issue but it wasn't a starter..

slingshot
11-19-2014, 03:27 PM
o line is healed back to full strength..i stand corrected there was one grade issue but it wasn't a starter..If their O-line is at full strength--Big Spring wins.

Sville
11-19-2014, 03:55 PM
That is what I am thinking too SS.

Sweetwater Red
11-19-2014, 04:07 PM
db8coach was just on here a few weeks ago saying BS had lost both CBs to season ending injuries? Is that not true?
That would seem to be a bigger issue going against an offense as explosive as Andrews' is and not whether BS has a healthy
offensive line when Andrews has a suspect defense anyway as slingshot and others have stated previously this year.

slingshot
11-19-2014, 04:09 PM
That is what I am thinking too SS.Would love to see a rematch between Big Spring and Stephenville... the first two were humdingers and I was at both! Do hope it's not the same time as Wylie/Graham (provided we all get to that point) so I can watch it too...

slingshot
11-19-2014, 04:11 PM
db8coach was just on here a few weeks ago saying BS had lost both CBs to season ending injuries? Is that not true?
That would seem to be a bigger issue going against an offense as explosive as Andrews' is and not whether BS has a healthy
offensive line when Andrews has a suspect defense anyway as slingshot and others have stated previously this year.Playoff time. Some studs have to go both ways... when they played Stephenville this year Tannehill and one of the running backs were playing DB.

Sweetwater Red
11-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Playoff time. Some studs have to go both ways... when they played Stephenville this year Tannehill and one of the running backs were playing DB.

Ah so they did lose them, okay. Yeah, after watching the Tivy game I'd say Tannehill was/is an upgrade at DB. It's just not
something teams like doing unless they're forced to obviously.

db8coach
11-21-2014, 09:16 AM
offensive line when Andrews has a suspect defense anyway as slingshot and others have stated previously this year.

Actually, I don't think it was injuries. I know that one of them moved. Don't know what happened to the other one. But the OLine is healthy. and so are our linebackers.

Sweetwater Red
11-21-2014, 09:33 AM
Actually, I don't think it was injuries. I know that one of them moved. Don't know what happened to the other one. But the OLine is healthy. and so are our linebackers.

Yes, my bag. Wrong Big Spring poster. It was Caprocker and it wasn't injuries. But other than that I nailed it! :D

The old lucky steers played that game without a starting safety hence the need for Tannehill and hill on defense. That makes 2 db's lost for the season in 3 weeks to external factors quite possibly contributing to "Chavvy" , having his coming out party and throwing the gameplan into a tailspin. But really , the spread is just flat out high octane when the talent is there. The luck of our steers is stifling this year after the hand of god has presented us with beating 2 top 10 teams and 2 5a's... The loss of a starting center and a starting nose guard to season Enders in the ville game contributed to our string of luck we've been enjoying. Now on to another team that hopefully we can slip by on a Hail Mary, or if one of their starters gets hurt. FYI..our kids don't respect your opinions..justify your losses how you must. :kiss:

slingshot
11-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Should be a GREAT game... good luck Steers!

Sweetwater Red
11-21-2014, 09:42 AM
http://oavarsity.com/news/24416/RUMBLE-AT-RATLIFF--Andrews-set-for-big-rematch-against-Big-Spring/

RUMBLE AT RATLIFF: Andrews set for big rematch against Big Spring

Nov 20, 2014 11:09 PM

There should be a big-fight feel in the air tonight at Ratliff Stadium, as two heavyweights get set for a rematch.

Andrews and Big Spring are locking horns once again, after a single point proved to be the difference between them in a knock-down, drag-out 43-42 regular season contest that went Andrews’ way at Memorial Stadium.

This time, the Mustangs and Steers trade blows in the Class 4A Division I area round.

Big Spring head coach Phillip Ritchey expects the two teams to pick up right where they left off.

“Just two good teams going at it, and everything’s on the line,” Ritchey said. “To me, this game is what high school football is all about.

“It’s going to be competition at its finest at this level.”

If it’s anything like the first matchup between the two schools this season, fans at Ratliff Stadium can expect a thriller. In that contest on Oct. 3, Andrews (10-1) escaped Big Spring (8-2) with a one-point road win, but only after the Steers missed a potential go-ahead field goal from 23 yards out with 29 seconds to play in the game.

“You sure better be not getting a big head, because it was just a one-point game and it could’ve gone either way,” Andrews head coach Ralph Mason said Thursday. “Neither team should be sitting there thinking, ‘We’ve got this one in the bag.’”

Tonight marks the fourth time in two years that these two teams have played. Big Spring beat Andrews, 61-48, in the regular season in 2013, before beating the Mustangs again, 56-7, at Ratliff Stadium in a similar area-round rematch.

But neither coach from either club expects a runaway result Friday night.

“This is a do-or-die game for both teams,” Ritchey said Thursday. “They’ve got one of the best teams we’ve seen all year, and we feel like we’ve got a good team. I think when two teams meet up in the playoffs like that, it’s toe-to-toe, and you want to be the last man standing. I think it’ll be an exciting game for fans for sure.

“It’s high school football at its best.”

Again, the duel between two of West Texas’ best quarterbacks is expected to take center stage.

Andrews’ Jase Hammack and Big Spring’s Tobyn Tannehill have each account for more than 3,000 yards for their respective teams this season — although they’ve gone about it in different ways.

Hammack has thrown for 3,166 yards this season on 196-of-308 passing with 42 touchdowns through the air and just two interceptions.

Meanwhile, Tannehill has thrown for 1,605 yards with 18 touchdowns and four interceptions on 99-of-191 passing and has rushed for 1,400 yards and nine more touchdowns.

“Their quarterback, Tobyn Tannehill, is what makes them go,” Mason said. “He’s a threat to throw the ball but more especially, he can take off and run it at any time.

“His strength is more running, I think, than throwing. Jase is just the opposite.”

While the two quarterbacks are different in how they operate on the field, they’re both similar in that they both find success — and that they’re both leaders in their respective systems.

“Jase throws the ball and is a true pocket passer, whereas Tobyn, he’s a dual-threat quarterback and can hurt you with his legs as bad or worse than he can with his arm,” Ritchey said. “I think they’re different in that fact, but they’re both great leaders and both great quarterbacks.”

The last time these two met head-to-head, Tannehill accounted for more total yards, with 458 — 185 rushing and 273 passing — to Hammack’s 416 yards passing. But the Andrews defense picked off two Tannehill passes and, ultimately, the missed field goal that doomed the Steers came off Tannehill’s foot.

Since that meeting, Big Spring’s only other loss of the season came in a 49-6 defeat to Abilene Wylie.

Meanwhile, Andrews hasn’t lost, and the Mustangs have outscored opponents 273-48 since escaping Big Spring’s Memorial Stadium.

“Ever since they played us, they’ve been on a roll,” Ritchey said. “They’re scoring a lot of points and shutting people down. It looks like they’re a better team now than they were when we played them the first time. Undoubtedly, we’re going to have our hands full.

“We’re going to have to play really well to knock them off.”

If Andrews can come away with a win, Mason said the Mustangs would tie the school record for most wins in a season. Mason said Andrews has won 11 games in a season on just two occasions in school history.

Either way, Friday’s game could be one for the record books.

It’ll be the final high school game for one of the two senior quarterbacks, and one way or the other, it’ll be the end of the road for a championship contender.

Sweetwater Red
11-21-2014, 09:48 AM
http://oavarsity.com/news/24414/Nov--21-Permian-Basin-football-playoff-capsules/

Andrews Mustangs vs. Big Spring Steers

CLASS 4A DIVISION I

AREA PLAYOFF

>> Time, date, place: 7 p.m. tonight, Ratliff Stadium.

>> Head coaches: Andrews, Ralph Mason; Big Spring, Phillip Ritchey.

>> Districts: Andrews, 2-4A (first place); Big Spring, 1-4A (first place).

>> Records: Andrews 10-1, Big Spring 8-2.

>> Next opponent: Stephenville-Lubbock Estacado winner.

>> Last Week: Andrews def. Borger, 61-20; Big Spring def. Gainesville, 35-17.

>> Last playoff appearance: Andrews 2013 (area); Big Spring 2013 (regional).

>> Last playoff meeting: None.

>> Andrews leaders: QB Jase Hammack (196-of-308, 3,166 yards, 42 touchdowns, two interceptions); RB Tajh Kelly (101 carries, 716 yards, 11 touchdowns); RB Torey Kelly (96 carries, 613 rushing yards, nine rushing touchdowns, 26 catches, 354 receiving yards, three receiving touchdowns); WR Braden Grimsley (52 catches, 791 yards, six touchdowns); WR Caleb O’Connor (38 catches, 431 yards, 10 touchdowns); MLB Keegan Gray (138 tackles).

>> Big Spring leaders: QB Tobyn Tannehill (99-of-191, 1,605 yards passing, 18 passing touchdowns, four interceptions, 173 carries, 1,400 rushing yards, nine touchdowns); RB Hunter Hill (109 carries, 894 yards, 16 touchdowns); WR Matthew Yanez (37 receptions, 566 yards, four touchdowns); MLB Garrett Wigington (105 tackles, five sacks).

>> Radio: KACT AM-1360, FM-105.5 (Andrews).

>> Web: kactradio.com (Andrews).

>> Notes: Andrews and Big Spring tangled to a 43-42 result the last time these teams met on Oct. 3. Andrews escaped with a victory that night, but only by virtue of a missed would-be go-ahead field goal by Big Spring with less than 30 seconds to play. In that meeting, both Andrews quarterback Jase Hammack and Big Spring quarterback Tobyn Tannehill accounted for more than 400 yards of offense. This time around, Andrews head coach Ralph Mason says the key for his team will be slowing the production of the dual-threat Tannehill. “He’s elusive and smart,” Mason said of Tannehill. “You can defend the play as well as possible, and then he can turn it into a big gain all of a sudden. Sometimes your worst enemy may be you’ve defended the play too well. … He’s just one of those guys that can turn a negative play into a positive play in a hurry.” … Andrews has been stopped in the second round of the playoffs in each of the past two seasons. Since two-a-days, Mustangs players have had a goal set to get past the second round. “This is the point at which the last two years, we’ve stopped,” Mason said. “It’s been a goal of ours to go on to the third round.”

Caprocker
11-21-2014, 10:48 AM
http://oavarsity.com/news/24414/Nov--21-Permian-Basin-football-playoff-capsules/

Andrews Mustangs vs. Big Spring Steers

CLASS 4A DIVISION I

AREA PLAYOFF

>> Time, date, place: 7 p.m. tonight, Ratliff Stadium.

>> Head coaches: Andrews, Ralph Mason; Big Spring, Phillip Ritchey.

>> Districts: Andrews, 2-4A (first place); Big Spring, 1-4A (first place).

>> Records: Andrews 10-1, Big Spring 8-2.

>> Next opponent: Stephenville-Lubbock Estacado winner.

>> Last Week: Andrews def. Borger, 61-20; Big Spring def. Gainesville, 35-17.

>> Last playoff appearance: Andrews 2013 (area); Big Spring 2013 (regional).

>> Last playoff meeting: None.

>> Andrews leaders: QB Jase Hammack (196-of-308, 3,166 yards, 42 touchdowns, two interceptions); RB Tajh Kelly (101 carries, 716 yards, 11 touchdowns); RB Torey Kelly (96 carries, 613 rushing yards, nine rushing touchdowns, 26 catches, 354 receiving yards, three receiving touchdowns); WR Braden Grimsley (52 catches, 791 yards, six touchdowns); WR Caleb O’Connor (38 catches, 431 yards, 10 touchdowns); MLB Keegan Gray (138 tackles).

>> Big Spring leaders: QB Tobyn Tannehill (99-of-191, 1,605 yards passing, 18 passing touchdowns, four interceptions, 173 carries, 1,400 rushing yards, nine touchdowns); RB Hunter Hill (109 carries, 894 yards, 16 touchdowns); WR Matthew Yanez (37 receptions, 566 yards, four touchdowns); MLB Garrett Wigington (105 tackles, five sacks).

>> Radio: KACT AM-1360, FM-105.5 (Andrews).

>> Web: kactradio.com (Andrews).

>> Notes: Andrews and Big Spring tangled to a 43-42 result the last time these teams met on Oct. 3. Andrews escaped with a victory that night, but only by virtue of a missed would-be go-ahead field goal by Big Spring with less than 30 seconds to play. In that meeting, both Andrews quarterback Jase Hammack and Big Spring quarterback Tobyn Tannehill accounted for more than 400 yards of offense. This time around, Andrews head coach Ralph Mason says the key for his team will be slowing the production of the dual-threat Tannehill. “He’s elusive and smart,” Mason said of Tannehill. “You can defend the play as well as possible, and then he can turn it into a big gain all of a sudden. Sometimes your worst enemy may be you’ve defended the play too well. … He’s just one of those guys that can turn a negative play into a positive play in a hurry.” … Andrews has been stopped in the second round of the playoffs in each of the past two seasons. Since two-a-days, Mustangs players have had a goal set to get past the second round. “This is the point at which the last two years, we’ve stopped,” Mason said. “It’s been a goal of ours to go on to the third round.”

red i heard that the red mustangs had a little grade trouble

Caprocker
11-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Yes, my bag. Wrong Big Spring poster. It was Caprocker and it wasn't injuries. But other than that I nailed it! :D

but on a more important note, i'm healthy

Razorback88
11-21-2014, 06:53 PM
4A D-1 game of the week! About 6000 Andrews folks headed to Odessa-385 is FULL! Andrews's biggest playoff game in 10 years and the towns hungry ! Stangs 47 Steers 24-ready for Stephenville next week. Now I realize we still have to play the game but I've got a good feeling! Only time will tell

slingshot
11-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Score?

db8coach
11-22-2014, 12:52 AM
48-34 Big Spring

Jacket97
11-22-2014, 01:07 AM
Ready to see this rematch...should be a fun one!

TheDOCTORdre
11-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Was close for a while, but Big Spring was just better...refs were shady on some calls IMO, probably wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game but you don't like to see that. Big Spring up by 14 with 3 minutes left and they still had Tannehill running the ball had me scratching my head but other than that, I think next weeks rematch with Stephenville is going to be better than the first

TheDOCTORdre
11-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Also, I know transitive property doesn't work in football but with Andrews on lost in the regular season coming to Sweetwater, I wonder how the Mustangs could fair against the likes of Big Spring and Stephenville