PDA

View Full Version : Van?

hollywood
11-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Well, the ole sayin' holds true... "Tha's why you still play the game"

What happened? Heard all season how good Van was. Undefeated and gets beat by Paris?

waterboy
11-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Van had a pretty soft schedule this year and it showed. My take is they were a little too overconfident. They made a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes and couldn't overcome adversity. it happens that way sometimes.

JVDAD
11-14-2014, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=hollywood;1840717]Well, the ole sayin' holds true... "Tha's why you still play the game"

This!

toddg
11-14-2014, 10:54 AM
overlooking teams like 3-7 Alvarado will bite you in the butt!

waterboy
11-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Overlooking anybody in the playoffs can bite you in the butt. Van couldn't overcome six turnovers against a solid and fast Paris team.

Dawgs
11-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Van had one of the weakest schedules in the state. They did beat all the teams bad, but I think a combination of weak opponents and turnovers against solid competition was their downfall.

Bosqueville
11-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Could this be Navasota in the Playoffs? I bet their starters haven't seen 3rd quarter in 6 weeks!

Rocket Man
11-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Overlooking anybody in the playoffs can bite you in the butt. Van couldn't overcome six turnovers against a solid and fast Paris team.

On the Rivals APP, there was a comment that they had 8 turnovers; 5 fumbles and 3 int's (maybe 4 since the game ended on an int). Small difference, but I felt for them a bit, but mostly for their loss VANdalized my bracket.

Regardless, protecting the ball is part of the game.

hollywood
11-14-2014, 11:59 AM
On the Rivals APP, there was a comment that they had 8 turnovers; 5 fumbles and 3 int's (maybe 4 since the game ended on an int). Small difference, but I felt for them a bit, but mostly for their loss VANdalized my bracket.

Regardless, protecting the ball is part of the game.

Lol... me too! :foul:

waterboy
11-14-2014, 12:14 PM
I think Rivals was wrong on the turnovers. I read that Van had 6 turnovers; 4 ints and 2 fumbles. Van had more first downs, more total yardage, and never punted. Paris punted four times.

Any way you look at it, you can't expect to win a game when you have 6 turnovers.

poisoned10
11-14-2014, 12:48 PM
I never was sold on Van. Their recent history shows that they have had some good regular seasons but bow out in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Emerson1
11-14-2014, 12:53 PM
What was the name of that running back from Van a few years ago who was the #1 guy in the nation? I think he committed to OU.

poisoned10
11-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Jeremy Calhoun

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

regaleagle
11-14-2014, 01:16 PM
I guess it will be much warmer in the gym in Van now, huh? You play all season to get to this point and come in on a high. Next thing ya know, you're in a game where things don't happen like you expect, you're turning it over, and the other team ain't no slouch. At the end of the night you look at the scoreboard and wonder what happened. Your season just ended.

Aguilafanatico
11-14-2014, 01:28 PM
I guess it will be much warmer in the gym in Van now, huh? You play all season to get to this point and come in on a high. Next thing ya know, you're in a game where things don't happen like you expect, you're turning it over, and the other team ain't no slouch. At the end of the night you look at the scoreboard and wonder what happened. Your season just ended.

Thanks for the upbeat message. Truth is, it can happen to any team at any point. That's what makes the Texas High School Football playoffs to cool. Great competition every week and no consolation bracket. Lose and go hunting.....win and go hunting.

waterboy
11-14-2014, 02:38 PM
It's never easy to lose in the first round, and I think it's doubly tough when you go undefeated in the regular season. The kids, fans, and coaching staffs have high expectations, only to be daunted by reality by playing one bad game. I hate it for all of them, especially the seniors. It happens, and it's not easy to deal with anyway you look at it.

Unfortunately, we understand exactly what they feel.

icu812
11-14-2014, 03:37 PM
I think Rivals was wrong on the turnovers. I read that Van had 6 turnovers; 4 ints and 2 fumbles. Van had more first downs, more total yardage, and never punted. Paris punted four times.

Any way you look at it, you can't expect to win a game when you have 6 turnovers.

Yes those numbers are correct. Paris has been inconsistent but came to play last night. Van dug itself a big hole with 4 straight turnovers in the 1st half, something they haven't done all year. Our boys showed some heart in the 2nd half coming back to take the lead in the 4th Quarter but Paris had a great game winning drive for their only score of the 2nd half. Van's game plan defensively didn't work out so well to start the game. IMO it's not a good idea to blitz their QB, you don't want that cat to run, need to contain him. Paris also has a very good receiver who made some nice plays against a very good corner. What surprised me was the Paris secondary, they played great. Our schedule had zero to do with this loss. This Van team was loaded with seniors who have played teams like Hallsville, LE, Kilgore, Henderson and Athens the last few years. Who like Paris are loaded with athletes. It's not something Van hasn't seen before. This was just two good teams going at it and Paris was the better team last night. Not the way I wanted to see this team go out because I still believe they could have made a nice playoff run. People say Van always get beat in the 1st or 2nd round and the last few years that is true but they fail to mention they aren't getting beat by chumps. Last year it was Kilgore, before that Henderson and the three years prior it was Gilmer. In 2009 Van played in the regional final against Prosper. This year I thought we had the team to make a nice run like that 2009 team but now I expect Paris to make that run into the 3rd or 4th round.

cowboyandchrist
11-14-2014, 07:59 PM
It's never easy to lose in the first round, and I think it's doubly tough when you go undefeated in the regular season. The kids, fans, and coaching staffs have high expectations, only to be daunted by reality by playing one bad game. I hate it for all of them, especially the seniors. It happens, and it's not easy to deal with anyway you look at it.

Unfortunately, we understand exactly what they feel.
I can only speak for Carthage, sometimes a loss in non district games can make a big difference when the playoffs roll around. The Dawgs only had one undefeated and won the championship, the other three their was a non district loss. Coaches make a huge difference when it comes to keeping players grounded on an undefeated team.