PDA

View Full Version : WO-S Mustangs 34 Giddings Buffaloes 14 FINAL

WOS1
11-14-2014, 09:11 AM
These two are fairly familiar with one another over the last 10yrs. I believe the record between them is currently 2-2. So let's here the prognostications.

Pudlugger
11-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Giddings 49-35

BB BULLS
11-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Giddings must be playing some good ball to hold Wharton to 14 so I will go Giddings 35-28

buff4ever
11-14-2014, 09:44 AM
My memory may be failing me, but I believe we are 1-2 vs WOS, but I will take a 2-2 record after this week. That would be very nice. WOS is going to be a tough opponent, they always are. If this game is as good as 2 of the 3 times we have played WOS, then half the people in this state should attend this game.

WOS1
11-14-2014, 10:00 AM
I don't remember the scores, but we beat Giddings in the regional finals in 2005. Giddings won in the 2nd round in 2006, we beat them in the 2nd round in 2008 when they were ranked #1 in the state. And then in 2011, they beat us in the regular season. So 2-2.

GUNHO
11-14-2014, 10:37 AM
I can only remember 3 meetings and we were 2-1.I think the regular season was canceled due to Reggie's death or did we play the following year?

WOS1
11-14-2014, 10:59 AM
I can only remember 3 meetings and we were 2-1.I think the regular season was canceled due to Reggie's death or did we play the following year?

We played the following yr and the score was like 14-9. We had something like 3 FG. I believe we played them at Sam Houston.

WOS1
11-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Just got the word... Friday @ 7:00pm. Humble

buff4ever
11-14-2014, 11:55 AM
7 or 7:30? I got Humble, but didn't get a time. 7 is early for a Friday game that far from each of us. Oh well, will deal with which ever.

WOS1
11-14-2014, 12:11 PM
7 or 7:30? I got Humble, but didn't get a time. 7 is early for a Friday game that far from each of us. Oh well, will deal with which ever.

Confirmed, 7:00pm. Giddings won the toss.

GUNHO
11-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Just got the word... Friday @ 7:00pm. Humble

Tell me that's not the place we have trouble winning at.

griff
11-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Giddings 49-35

I know Giddings has scored a lot of points this year and by all indications has a good offense, but no way do they score 49 against WO-S. We hang our hat on defensive play. Only once in school history have we given up 49 or more (Wimberly got us for 52 in '03 and two of those TDs were defensive).

For the first time in a few years, the WO-S offense is equally as good as its defense. I like the balance of this year's team.

Does Giddings still run the three-headed option as in the days of Fitzhenry?

WOS87
11-14-2014, 01:43 PM
Giddings 49-35

Only once in 442 games ever played has a team scored 49+ points against WOS and that was 2005 State Champ Wimberley. Our defense won't let that happen.

Our games against Giddings other than the very first one back in 2005 which WOS won in a blowout it's been close. What I see looking at the records is that the WOS Defense should be able to hold them back. Giddings on the other hand has given up a ton of points so if WOS can score 28 points I think we win this one.

WOS opponents 2014

LCM averaging 21.7 pts scored per game - WOS held them to 12
PNG averaging 40.3 pts scored per game - WOS held them to 27
Jasper averaging 32.5 pts scored per game - WOS held them to 7
Silsbee averaging 23.5 pts scored per game - WOS held them to 0
Richmond Foster averaging 38.3 pts scored per game - WOS held them to 17
Newton averaging 35.5 pts scored per game - WOS held them to 19
Liberty averaging 18.9 pts scored per game - WOS held them to 7
Orangefield averaging 35.5 pts scored per game - WOS held them to 14
Hamshire-Fannett averaging 32.3 pts scored per game - WOS held them to 21
Hardin-Jefferson averaging 39.8 pts scored per game - WOS held them to 21
Scarborough averaging 7.4 pts scored per game - WOS held them to 0
Giddings averaging 36.3 pts scored per game - WOS will hold them to ???

Giddings opponents 2014

**Gonzales averaging 27.3 pts scored per game - Giddings allowed 35
Wimberley averaging 32.0 pts scored per game - Giddings held them to 31
**Bellville averaging 33.2 pts scored per game - Giddings allowed 35
**Columbus averaging 14.8 pts scored per game - Giddings allowed 16
Sealy averaging 29.8 pts scored per game - Giddings held them to 28
**Cuero averaging 39.3 pts scored per game - Giddings allowed 62
Salado averaged 10.2 pts scored per game - Giddings held them to 0
**LaGrange averaging 41.2 pts scored per game - Giddings allowed 56
Smithville averaging 13.4 pts scored per game - Giddings held them to 0
Caldwell averaging 34.4 pts scored per game - Giddings held them to 33
Wharton averaging 37.3 pts scored per game - Giddings held them to 14

hookandladder
11-14-2014, 03:37 PM
Giddings by 2TD's

Snotbubbles
11-14-2014, 03:47 PM
WOS failing to cover the spread against Houston Scartissue, gotta go with the Buff's, 33-28.

YTBulldogs
11-14-2014, 03:59 PM
WOS failing to cover the spread against Houston Scartissue, gotta go with the Buff's, 33-28.

:spitlol: Now that's doing some research Snot.

speedbump
11-14-2014, 05:06 PM
LOL at some of the wishful thinking...er.. predictions for this one. WOS 40 - Giddings 20

OLE'BULL
11-14-2014, 05:21 PM
LOL at some of the wishful thinking...er.. predictions for this one. WOS 40 - Giddings 20

Agreed!

1st and goal
11-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Well, despite what the naysayers in the previous 2 posts rudely posted, the Buffs being the supposed underdogs, IMO have a good chance to win with the speed we have.

These games against WOS have been awesome contests in the last decade. WOS has long been considered the roadblock in Region III. Getting past them is tough. They have a great tradition of football in their community and I take my hat off to them. The game in Pearland years ago was an awesome game in a very cold and wet contest. I remember our backup QB getting put in despite having almost no snaps in practice. The extreme north wind was probably blowing 20-25 mph and we had numerous bomb passes thrown literally just an inch or two out of the grasp of a wide open receiver. Oh so close. Dang wind. WOS won that game, but the Buffs gave it their all.

Pudlugger
11-15-2014, 07:56 PM
1st and Goal I agree. Giddings matches up well man to man in the speed and skill categories. WOS defense is going to be the big problem for the Buffs. They will need to figure out a way to capitalize on any weaknesses, perhaps in the secondary although the Mustangs have a highly recruited safety back there to make life miserable for them. Giddings needs to play a perfect game and have their best defensive performance so far to win but they have the talent to do so. If they step it up from their excellent effort against Wharton they may just surprise folks. WOS will be a 17 point favorite by the usual pollsters but I think they win this game by 14.

regaleagle
11-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Giddings will definitely be swimming upstream to make it to the promised land in this one. I feel WOS has played a formidable schedule and is now ready for this seconder rounder. Giddings put forth a great effort against a good Wharton squad this week and will need to somehow top that against what I feel is a much better opponent in WOS.

lbjacj
11-15-2014, 08:53 PM
Only once in school history have we given up 49 or more (Wimberly got us for 52 in '03 and two of those TDs were defensive).

That was the game that put us on the road to our first Championship! One of the biggest playoff wins ever for the Texans! We were big underdogs against Earl Thomas, Deon Beasley and the rest of a very good WOS team! Great game!

WOS1
11-16-2014, 12:17 PM
That was the game that put us on the road to our first Championship! One of the biggest playoff wins ever for the Texans! We were big underdogs against Earl Thomas, Deon Beasley and the rest of a very good WOS team! Great game!

It still stings a little...:/

AggiesAreWe
11-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Giddings 20
WO-S 33

buff4ever
11-17-2014, 09:36 AM
I do stand corrected. The WOS/Giddings Record is 2-2. I remembered the game being cancelled that first year when your player died, but then we played the next year, Coach Jones's first year here, and Giddings did win that one.

I understand that this would be considered a upset to most everyone, but I think that Giddings will surprise some people with how we can match up in this game. Can't beat good playoff football with two teams that have gotten after each other over the past 5 - 8 years or so.

1st and goal
11-17-2014, 09:49 AM
If Giddings plays one of their best games, and maybe has some turnovers go their way, they could win this game. We have speed and talent across the board, we just need to execute.

The weather people are saying the days will get a bit warmer as the week progresses, but I did not hear them say when the next cold front will hit. Hopefully after the game.

panfan
11-17-2014, 10:11 AM
My memory may be failing me, but I believe we are 1-2 vs WOS, but I will take a 2-2 record after this week. That would be very nice. WOS is going to be a tough opponent, they always are. If this game is as good as 2 of the 3 times we have played WOS, then half the people in this state should attend this game.

You know why the buffs are winning don't you - Buff4ever finally finished painting the buffalo on the edge of town! Buffs roll in this one.

hookandladder
11-17-2014, 10:19 AM
You know why the buffs are winning don't you - Buff4ever finally finished painting the buffalo on the edge of town! Buffs roll in this one.

Rumor from LG is the buffalo had a new paint job this year again, just what I heard from down that way. Lol

buff4ever
11-18-2014, 08:16 AM
If I contracted out my services, you would all be wanting me to paint your mascots. The only one I will paint is the Bulldog in Burnet, b/c Cam said he would help.

The WOS group on here has gone quiet. Maybe we are making them nervous.

panfan
11-18-2014, 08:37 AM
If I contracted out my services, you would all be wanting me to paint your mascots. The only one I will paint is the Bulldog in Burnet, b/c Cam said he would help.

Then you better be drinking lots of water. Them Burnet guys (Cam and G-dawg) stand out there on the field peeing outlines and they got Astro running around fillin' in. Turns the grass brown and they call it good. They can't afford a mascot sculpture or something like that cause they done put it all in that truck.
Good luck to the Buffs this week.

buff4ever
11-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Then you better be drinking lots of water. Them Burnet guys (Cam and G-dawg) stand out there on the field peeing outlines and they got Astro running around fillin' in. Turns the grass brown and they call it good. They can't afford a mascot sculpture or something like that cause they done put it all in that truck.
Good luck to the Buffs this week.

Thanks, would rather be lucky than good most days.

griff
11-18-2014, 10:01 AM

Nah. We spend most of our energy on the setx board. I've been watching film on Giddings. I still remember them as the triple option team from Fitzhenry's years. To see them run the spread was a little bit of shock. The Buffs run their offense well.

If any of you fellas will be at the game, maybe we could meet at halftime for a downlow photo. If there are any takers, send me a PM and we can exchange cell phone numbers.

Someone said earlier how this matchup has always produced an intense and exciting game. I agree with that. It will be well-attended on the WO-S side. I expect the same from Giddings fans, just as it was in previous meetings. If other downlowers have no teams to follow Friday, I recommend they make an effort to see this game. It will be worth the drive and ticket price. Turner Stadium is one of the nicest, newest, and best stadiums in Texas and conveniently close to Hwy 59 and Bush Intercontinental Airport.

Mr. Football
11-18-2014, 11:38 AM
I'm taking WOS in this game 35-21

Leopardfan201
11-18-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm taking Giddings in a upset 28/21

GUNHO
11-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Hey Buff the only thing we are nervous about is that Houston Scarborough didn't take to much out of us after that hard fought game.It wasn't easy keeping that score down you know.

Snotbubbles
11-18-2014, 11:46 AM
Hey Buff the only thing we are nervous about is that Houston Scarborough didn't take to much out of us after that hard fought game.It wasn't easy keeping that score down you know.

That Houston Scartissue game could cause a sluggish start and allow Giddings to jump out early. Should be a good game. I'll take the Buff's here.

WOS1
11-18-2014, 01:55 PM
That Houston Scartissue game could cause a sluggish start and allow Giddings to jump out early. Should be a good game. I'll take the Buff's here.

This would be plenty cause for nervousness. Sometimes it works that way. Hope it doesn't here. Hopefully we come out with the same intensity we did against HJ.

HJ2012
11-19-2014, 01:04 PM

When the JV team is in after the first quarter, you don't really see what that score could have been. I'll take WO-S in this one, as long as the "two bye weeks" didn't do something catastrophic to them.

HEMOTOXIC
11-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Nah. We spend most of our energy on the setx board. I've been watching film on Giddings. I still remember them as the triple option team from Fitzhenry's years. To see them run the spread was a little bit of shock. The Buffs run their offense well.

If any of you fellas will be at the game, maybe we could meet at halftime for a downlow photo. If there are any takers, send me a PM and we can exchange cell phone numbers.

Someone said earlier how this matchup has always produced an intense and exciting game. I agree with that. It will be well-attended on the WO-S side. I expect the same from Giddings fans, just as it was in previous meetings. If other downlowers have no teams to follow Friday, I recommend they make an effort to see this game. It will be worth the drive and ticket price. Turner Stadium is one of the nicest, newest, and best stadiums in Texas and conveniently close to Hwy 59 and Bush Intercontinental Airport.

I like the stadium; however, traffic was horrible for the Navasota/WOS game in 2012.

WOS1
11-19-2014, 10:40 PM
I like the stadium; however, traffic was horrible for the Navasota/WOS game in 2012.

We DEFINITELY do not want any reminders of that night... :/

GUNHO
11-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Don't like that stadium.To many bad things have happen there.But it is nice.

griff
11-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Don't like that stadium.To many bad things have happen there.But it is nice.

We beat Jasper there last year. Looking to make it two in a row Friday night.

GUNHO
11-20-2014, 12:06 PM
We beat Jasper there last year. Looking to make it two in a row Friday night.

Yeah but it was close.

1st and goal
11-20-2014, 08:48 PM
Weather folks saying big chance of rain. The great equalizer.

1st and goal
11-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Will this game be on the air?

griff
11-21-2014, 08:35 AM
Yes. www.kogt.com.

WOS87
11-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Was a 6 point game well into the 4th Quarter but the Mustangs managed to prevail

griff
11-22-2014, 01:19 AM
The game seemed closer on the scoreboard than it really was. Giddings had two big kickoff returns which were by far their two biggest plays of the game. One put them at the 12 yard line and lead to a short TD. They had one good drive for the game - at the start of the 3rd quarter. Outside of that, it was all WO-S. The Mustang defense was excellent.

Total yardage:

WO-S...377
Giddings...177

WOS1
11-22-2014, 12:36 PM
So, where are all the Giddings folks? For the first 3 qtrs it was a typical WOS/Giddings fight. I'd like to hear from the Buffs.

griff
11-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Correction on the stats (total yardage)...

WOS 374
Giddings 137

griff
11-22-2014, 12:56 PM
So, where are all the Giddings folks? For the first 3 qtrs it was a typical WOS/Giddings fight. I'd like to hear from the Buffs.

I was surprised the Giddings fans didn't fill the stands like in previous meetings. Too much rain, maybe?

WOS1
11-22-2014, 06:00 PM
I know I thought the same thing. Wow, 137 total yards. Pretty impressive.

GUNHO
11-23-2014, 11:25 AM
Hats off to Giddings.They hung in there the for 3 1/2 quarters.We just couldn't put them away but I never felt we were in danger of loosing.# 25 was a beast for Giddings.I don't know if he was hurt or what but he didn't seem to run as well in the second half.

buff4ever
11-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Sorry, I took off this weekend. WOS as advertised was extremely good on defense. Where as you think the score was closer than it was, I think the game was a lot closer than the score. Not taking anything away from WOS, cause they are very good, and that defense is good enough to win a championship.

But being a 6 point game in middle of the forth before you guys scored again, then after our big return (which you say made the game closer than it was, doesn't make since) we had the holding penalty after we gained down to the four yard line on first down. Then Kyle was hit while throwing and your #6 took it inside our ten. So even if we didn't score to get within 6 again, 27 - 14 tells a little more true story.

Once again, that defense was clearly and by far the best we have faced this year. Offensively you were not the best we have seen, but defense wins championships, so we will see how you guys do. Our guys played hard and never gave up, no matter how much your defense frustrated our offense. Our first kick off return did play a bigger role, you are right there, but they are part of the game. Given we had two big ones, maybe you should put your defense on the field for kick off.

As for attendance, the rain may have had a little to do with it, but it wasn't that bad actually. We had quite a bit more than you guys, and remember how large those stands are.

WOS1
11-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Sorry, I took off this weekend. WOS as advertised was extremely good on defense. Where as you think the score was closer than it was, I think the game was a lot closer than the score. Not taking anything away from WOS, cause they are very good, and that defense is good enough to win a championship.

But being a 6 point game in middle of the forth before you guys scored again, then after our big return (which you say made the game closer than it was, doesn't make since) we had the holding penalty after we gained down to the four yard line on first down. Then Kyle was hit while throwing and your #6 took it inside our ten. So even if we didn't score to get within 6 again, 27 - 14 tells a little more true story.

Once again, that defense was clearly and by far the best we have faced this year. Offensively you were not the best we have seen, but defense wins championships, so we will see how you guys do. Our guys played hard and never gave up, no matter how much your defense frustrated our offense. Our first kick off return did play a bigger role, you are right there, but they are part of the game. Given we had two big ones, maybe you should put your defense on the field for kick off.

As for attendance, the rain may have had a little to do with it, but it wasn't that bad actually. We had quite a bit more than you guys, and remember how large those stands are.

Agreed, our offense did not play up to the level they have been. That's a credit to Giddings. We also had some drive killing penalties that we have to get cleaned up. I agree with what you said about our kick off coverage. On the first one, we lined up differently than we had all year. Not real sure what that was all about.

I WAS happy with the fact that our RB had 178 yards rushing. And our defense for holding a potent offense to 137 total yards. We have to do it again this week.