PDA

View Full Version : Celina vs Monahans round 2

orange machine
11-14-2014, 12:42 AM
Heard tonight this game will be Friday night in Abilene can anybody confirm?

RPF2666
11-14-2014, 07:15 AM
I heard Friday in Brownwood...

orange machine
11-14-2014, 08:18 AM
I heard Friday in Brownwood...

Well at least we have the day it sounds like.

Sweetwater Red
11-14-2014, 08:48 AM
Abilene on Thursday or Saturday would be great for me. :D

orange machine
11-14-2014, 08:54 AM
Abilene on Thursday or Saturday would be great for me. :D

Just got it confirmed it's in Brownwood.

RPF2666
11-14-2014, 09:10 AM
That is what I told you! :rolleyes:

orange machine
11-14-2014, 09:19 AM
That is what I told you! :rolleyes:

Always need two sources.

Bosqueville
11-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Oh man... wish I could make this game at my old stomping grounds! I assume this is the first time Celina has ever played at Gordon Wood Stadium?

d0tc0m
11-14-2014, 09:33 AM
Celina wins by as much as they want, again.

Sweetwater Red
11-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Bummer

BwdLion73
11-14-2014, 10:08 AM

Woo Hoo:cheerl:

EagleEye
11-14-2014, 10:10 AM
What day?

Bosqueville
11-14-2014, 10:15 AM
What day?

Friday

hollywood
11-14-2014, 10:22 AM
Don't ya wish it was against Brownwood? What a build up that game would be. 14 1/2 State Championships between the 2 schools!

orange machine
11-14-2014, 11:00 AM
Kinda excited about playing in Brownwood. Hopefully a lot of Brownwood people will come to the game because that's a very long drive for a Friday night game, I'm afraid there might not be a whole lot of fans there.

Bosqueville
11-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Kinda excited about playing in Brownwood. Hopefully a lot of Brownwood people will come to the game because that's a very long drive for a Friday night game, I'm afraid there might not be a whole lot of fans there.

Unless Bwd is playing that night, I'm sure there will be quite a few Bwd people there. My uncle still runs the score board. I know at least one!

BwdLion73
11-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Unless Bwd is playing that night, I'm sure there will be quite a few Bwd people there. My uncle still runs the score board. I know at least one!

Yeah I would like to see this game however after we take care of Graham we will most likely be playing Fabens that Friday. ;)
I wonder who the home team is going to be?

I trying visualize Celina coming out of the Brownwood walk of champions tunnel! :vrycnfsd:

orange machine
11-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Yeah I would like to see this game however after we take care of Graham we will most likely be playing Fabens that Friday. ;)
I wonder who the home team is going to be?

I trying visualize Celina coming out of the Brownwood walk of champions tunnel! :vrycnfsd:

yea it fits perfect huh?

BwdLion73
11-14-2014, 12:43 PM
yea it fits perfect huh?

Unlike some teams that refuse to play here we welcome all.

It would not bother me to see either Celina or Monahans come out of our tunnel. Both are top class teams

orange machine
11-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Where's the good eats in the wood?

Sweetwater Red
11-14-2014, 05:13 PM
Where's the good eats in the wood?

They are in Early at Humphrey Pete's which is just across the river from the Whataburger
in...Brownwood.

http://www.humphreypetes.com/

BwdLion73
11-14-2014, 05:34 PM
We have most of the usual chains and fast food joints that you will pass coming into town on your way to the stadium. As far as something different Humphrey Pete's is known for some good specials steaks,chickenfry ect. Closer to the stadium you have Sticks BBQ and the Sectionhand Steakhouse. Underwoods is always a tourist favorite. It's cafeteria style and has several choice's of meats along with good rolls and cobbler. Also out near the stadium is the Runaway Train. They used to have good burgers with hand made patties along with Blue Bell Ice Cream.
....and before anyone says it..."Whataburger"...although you will find out it's not in Early!
I'm sure others have favorites to add in or subtract.

Bosqueville
11-14-2014, 05:51 PM
My 3 favorite can't go wrong picks are: Humphrey Pete's, Prima Pasta and Runaway Train. The Runaway Train is probably my favorite for Soups, Burgers and sandwiches. http://www.runawaytraincafe.com/

bobcat1
11-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Don't ya wish it was against Brownwood? What a build up that game would be. 14 1/2 State Championships between the 2 schools!
Oh you got jokes mixed in. That's fiddeen!

BwdLion73
11-14-2014, 07:15 PM
Oh you got jokes mixed in. That's fiddeen!

Yeah, he shouldn't have gave you that 1/2! :evilgrin:

I'd ask you to come on down for a meet and greet but I'm sure your kids won't let you have the keys at night. :p

SouthTexas Lobo
11-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Celina wins by as much as they want, again.

Not sure your exactly correct, think Celina will win, but don't believe it will be as much as they want. Just my thought

bobcat1
11-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Yeah, he shouldn't have gave you that 1/2! :evilgrin:

I'd ask you to come on down for a meet and greet but I'm sure your kids won't let you have the keys at night. :p
I like having a toddy listening in my house shoes. No skin in the game anymore with my kids grown.

BwdLion73
11-14-2014, 10:35 PM
I understand...I'm doing it right now...
althought we are being taken to the woodshed tonight by Graham.

bobcat1
11-14-2014, 10:38 PM
I understand...I'm doing it right now...
althought we are being taken to the woodshed tonight by Graham.
Well then Cheers!

BwdLion73
11-14-2014, 10:45 PM
:thumbsup:
Well then Cheers!

orange machine
11-15-2014, 01:11 AM
Thanks for all the restaurant choices that Italian place sounds good right now, but I've heard suck great things about underwoods tough choices.

orange machine
11-15-2014, 01:25 AM
Anybody know who the home team is?

Bosqueville
11-15-2014, 07:28 AM
Between those two I'd pick Prima Pasta! Plus underwood's on a Friday night will be a madhouse..

d0tc0m
11-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Not sure your exactly correct, think Celina will win, but don't believe it will be as much as they want. Just my thought

Maybe. I'll stick with my original prediction, though.

marler1972
11-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the restaurant choices that Italian place sounds good right now, but I've heard suck great things about underwoods tough choices.

Just eat a salad just invade you have to chase a suspect when you go back to work after the game. Lol let me know where y'all are going. I am ready for this game already. Have to keep my emotions in check around the boy though.

CHS_89
11-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Maybe. I'll stick with my original prediction, though.

Here's the stats from Monohans vs. Bushland. Looks like turnovers were the difference. Bushland QB had over 400 yards. Might be a long nite for Monohans vs. Celina.

http://www.hsgamecenter.com/football/boys/game/3958336

orange machine
11-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Monahans likes to bring the house on defense they blitz more than any high school team I've seen.

orange machine
11-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Celina 45
Monahans 14

BwdLion73
11-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Monahans seems a little down this year but you know they will bring a descipline running team. If Celina still ran their old running game we could have this one over in about an hour.

marler1972
11-16-2014, 01:50 PM
is it Friday yet?

hollywood
11-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Nathan Elliot healthy?

bobcat1
11-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Thanks for all the restaurant choices that Italian place sounds good right now, but I've heard suck great things about underwoods tough choices. What no Donuts and coffee?

bobcat1
11-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Nathan Elliot healthy?
Is Stidham?

hollywood
11-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Just looked this up... Mileage between Celina and Monahans is 418 miles. Mileage from Celina to Brownwood is 215 miles. Mileage from Monahans to Brownwood is 275 miles. Pretty good halfway point.

hollywood
11-16-2014, 07:39 PM
What no Donuts and coffee?

:fnypost:

hollywood
11-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Is Stidham?

Stidham isn't playing in this game. Duh! Lol

Seriously, is Elliot playing now? I knew he was injured earlier in the season. I didn't know his status as of late.

garciap77
11-16-2014, 07:44 PM
I heard at the Whataburger in Early, that Rocket is going to be present at this game.;)

bobcat1
11-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Stidham isn't playing in this game. Duh! Lol

Seriously, is Elliot playing now? I knew he was injured earlier in the season. I didn't know his status as of late.

Yep he has played a couple or 3 games now.

bobcat1
11-16-2014, 08:11 PM
I heard at the Whataburger in Early, that Rocket is going to be present at this game.;):lies:

hollywood
11-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Yep he has played a couple or 3 games now.

Good deal! He's a good QB and leader.

RPF2666
11-17-2014, 08:32 AM
He has played very well since coming back.

d0tc0m
11-17-2014, 12:01 PM

Sure looks that way. And it looks like the team has really fed off of his return. Granted the district competition wasn't the greatest, the Bobcats did what you're supposed to do to inferior teams, and they look to be clicking at the right time. Just can't wait for that Celina/Sweetwater matchup, and hopefully that Celina/Gilmer semifinal.

marler1972
11-17-2014, 12:06 PM
Sure looks that way. And it looks like the team has really fed off of his return. Granted the district competition wasn't the greatest, the Bobcats did what you're supposed to do to inferior teams, and they look to be clicking at the right time. Just can't wait for that Celina/Sweetwater matchup, and hopefully that Celina/Gilmer semifinal.

one game at a time kemosabe. Yes the team is clicking at the right time.

d0tc0m
11-17-2014, 01:03 PM
one game at a time kemosabe. Yes the team is clicking at the right time.

Ah, I'm a fan, I get to look ahead and prognosticate to my heart's desire! The one game at a time business is certainly a football axiom for good reason. But it's for the players.

It does make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to hear that the team is clicking so well. I doubt these kids are looking ahead to anything past Friday night in Brownwood ... which is exactly what you want out of your team this time of the year!

marler1972
11-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Ah, I'm a fan, I get to look ahead and prognosticate to my heart's desire! The one game at a time business is certainly a football axiom for good reason. But it's for the players.

It does make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to hear that the team is clicking so well. I doubt these kids are looking ahead to anything past Friday night in Brownwood ... which is exactly what you want out of your team this time of the year!

no they are not looking ahead.....

RPF2666
11-17-2014, 10:12 PM
I am looking ahead to a warmer night in the stands this week! Those COLD playoff games are supposed to be
late in the playoffs, not round 1...:cool:

orange machine
11-17-2014, 10:38 PM
I am looking ahead to a warmer night in the stands this week! Those COLD playoff games are supposed to be
late in the playoffs, not round 1...:cool:

It was dang cold, but it's awesome!

Bosqueville
11-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Sounding like you better bring an umbrella!

full circle
11-18-2014, 01:06 PM
prima pasta is excellent food and priced right, section hand has a good salad bar, runaway train great burger sometimes crowded w limited seating.

BwdLion73
11-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Friday night shows a low around 57, however it is showing a 60% chance of rain with thunderstorms.

We sure need the rain. Maybe it will come in around 10:30.

d0tc0m
11-18-2014, 04:47 PM
I imagine neither team wants it to rain Friday. But I also suppose slick conditions would favor Monahans a bit more than it would Celina. Might keep the score down if it's heavy rain. Otherwise, just don't think the Loboes will have enough to slow down the Bobcats on their own.

Celina8
11-18-2014, 05:23 PM
If it is heavy rains and cold then it becomes about who can hold on to the ball. In these type conditions I think the weather makes both teams equal and well you never know!

marler1972
11-18-2014, 05:31 PM
I imagine neither team wants it to rain Friday. But I also suppose slick conditions would favor Monahans a bit more than it would Celina. Might keep the score down if it's heavy rain. Otherwise, just don't think the Loboes will have enough to slow down the Bobcats on their own.

Na, we have a stable full of RB's, plus our kids can catch the ball in the rain no problems, 50 degrees is not cold compared to what it was last week for the game. Plus the weather shows only a 20% chance of rain for friday now saturday it says 100% chance.

Razorback88
11-18-2014, 05:57 PM
Monahans will come prepared and will play solid, disciplined football. Celina should win but don't overlook Mickey Owens. He does more with less than any coach in Texas.

d0tc0m
11-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Na, we have a stable full of RB's, plus our kids can catch the ball in the rain no problems, 50 degrees is not cold compared to what it was last week for the game. Plus the weather shows only a 20% chance of rain for friday now saturday it says 100% chance.

This. Marler has good insight, obviously. Which is why I've been saying all along that I think this game won't even be close. If the weather were crazy, it might be closer. But I think Celina just has too many weapons for the West Texas boys.

hollywood
11-18-2014, 07:08 PM

I know he and Stidham attended some of the same camps. I'm sure they respect one another.

defense51
11-18-2014, 07:21 PM
Monahans will come prepared and will play solid, disciplined football. Celina should win but don't overlook Mickey Owens. He does more with less than any coach in Texas.
One team that I would never overlook... Monohans. They never look impressive at first glance, but they can play football, especially when the playoffs roll around. On paper Celina has to be favored, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Loboes pull off an upset.

bobcat1
11-18-2014, 07:37 PM
One team that I would never overlook... Monohans. They never look impressive at first glance, but they can play football, especially when the playoffs roll around. On paper Celina has to be favored, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Loboes pull off an upset.
You are exactly right. It's the playoffs and last week means nothing. Monahans has always been a tough out and I bet they will come to play Friday. Nothing they would like better than to send an over-confidant team of Bobcats to the Gym:eek:.

marler1972
11-18-2014, 07:53 PM
You are exactly right. It's the playoffs and last week means nothing. Monahans has always been a tough out and I bet they will come to play Friday. Nothing they would like better than to send an over-confidant team of Bobcats to the Gym:eek:.

Don't really know where you get that the boys are over confident. Believe me they are not. I live with one of them. They are more focused than I have seen from a Celina team in many years.

BwdLion73
11-18-2014, 07:55 PM
If it is heavy rains and cold then it becomes about who can hold on to the ball. In these type conditions I think the weather makes both teams equal and well you never know!

I agree, and at the risk of getting a leather helmet award from Bobcat1(;)) I recall a close game we won in the mud. When Dallas Huston interviewed Coach Woods he lamented the fact that the muddy field had caused us to look bad.
Coach Wood smiled and said..."the last time i checked it was raining on their end of the field too"!

Monahans may not win, but I know from our experience they will not quit.

d0tc0m
11-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Don't really know where you get that the boys are over confident. Believe me they are not. I live with one of them. They are more focused than I have seen from a Celina team in many years.

This is probably the best thing I've heard about a Celina team since 2007. And yet another big reason I like the Bobcats pretty big over the Loboes.

garciap77
11-18-2014, 09:01 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

Halup
11-18-2014, 09:33 PM

Thank you for your perceptive statements regarding Mickey Owens. The Loboes are rarely state ranked, as Owens traditionally schedules a tough non-district slate. Come playoff time, they are battle tested. This is his 10th year in Monahans and the Loboes have advanced to at least the area round every year (8-0 plus 2 byes in bi-district). In the past 9 years, Owens has led the Loboes to 5 area victories, 2 Regional championships and 1 Quarter Final championship. While his record is admirable, the true genius of Owens is shown by the following statistics: Number of players in the past 9 years to play Div 1? ZERO. Number who played Div II? Less than 5. Lobo fans know that Celina deserves the role of a heavy favorite. We are used to being the overlooked underdog in the playoffs. No, we won't match up well with the Bobcats. Nonetheless, we'd still like to play the game; cause we've got a fella named Owens.

garciap77
11-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Thank you for your perceptive statements regarding Mickey Owens. The Loboes are rarely state ranked, as Owens traditionally schedules a tough non-district slate. Come playoff time, they are battle tested. This is his 10th year in Monahans and the Loboes have advanced to at least the area round every year (8-0 plus 2 byes in bi-district). In the past 9 years, Owens has led the Loboes to 5 area victories, 2 Regional championships and 1 Quarter Final championship. While his record is admirable, the true genius of Owens is shown by the following statistics: Number of players in the past 9 years to play Div 1? ZERO. Number who played Div II? Less than 5. Lobo fans know that Celina deserves the role of a heavy favorite. We are used to being the overlooked underdog in the playoffs. No, we won't match up well with the Bobcats. Nonetheless, we'd still like to play the game; cause we've got a fella named Owens.

:2thumbsup

orange machine
11-18-2014, 10:26 PM

Honestly the x factor in this game to me is no players, but the coaches. In reality Celina has got very talented players that could win a title this year. The x factor to me is the coaching, Celina has played inferior competition the last 4 or 5 weeks blowing teams out which makes a coaches life a lot easier. The big question to me is how well do the coaches respond to the play calling challenges when faced with adversity?

For the record this is not a jab at the coaches this is just a real life scenario!

orange machine
11-18-2014, 10:33 PM
For instance the second time Celina played Henderson Celina was up at halftime. Celina was able to pound the ball on Henderson and they could not stop Celina's running game. So Celina gets the ball 1st in the 3rd quarter and what happened the 1st 3 plays of the 3rd quarter cost Celina the game. Celina comes out trying to pass the ball and appeared to run the same qb roll out pass all 3 times failing to convert for a first down and had to punt. Henderson goes down and scores a touch down and the game is history.

My point is coaches when faced with adversity have to be able to make good smart calls and obviously the players have to execute.

hollywood
11-18-2014, 10:35 PM

Great post! I agree, Owens is one of the best. Met his son at a Monahans/Brownwood game a few years back. Seem like a great family. He's got to be doing something right and most likely in it for the right reasons.

hollywood
11-18-2014, 10:37 PM
Honestly the x factor in this game to me is no players, but the coaches. In reality Celina has got very talented players that could win a title this year. The x factor to me is the coaching, Celina has played inferior competition the last 4 or 5 weeks blowing teams out which makes a coaches life a lot easier. The big question to me is how well do the coaches respond to the play calling challenges when faced with adversity?

For the record this is not a jab at the coaches this is just a real life scenario!

Good points. Although I honestly think Celina will win this one, I want to hear back from the Celina posters who have posted on here after the game on how they view Monahans football!

orange machine
11-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Good points. Although I honestly think Celina will win this one, I want to hear back from the Celina posters who have posted on here after the game on how they view Monahans football!

I've watched Monahans on film and they get after it playing very hard. I think if Monahans blitzes all night like I've seen in two videos they are gonna have a long night. Also there linebackers are pretty small and they don't have real good team speed.

Offensively the offense they run plays right into the hands of Celina's 10-1 defense. Monahans will need to be able to pass pretty effectively I think to have a chance.

hollywood
11-18-2014, 10:55 PM
I've watched Monahans on film and they get after it playing very hard. I think if Monahans blitzes all night like I've seen in two videos they are gonna have a long night. Also there linebackers are pretty small and they don't have real good team speed.

Offensively the offense they run plays right into the hands of Celina's 10-1 defense. Monahans will need to be able to pass pretty effectively I think to have a chance.

On paper it's definitely a mismatch... But my point is, after the game whether Celina wins big, by a small margin or surprisingly loses, I want to hear what the Celina posters think of Monahans football! As a team, as a fan base, as a program.

orange machine
11-18-2014, 11:07 PM
On paper it's definitely a mismatch... But my point is, after the game whether Celina wins big, by a small margin or surprisingly loses, I want to hear what the Celina posters think of Monahans football! As a team, as a fan base, as a program.

I see what your saying. I'll say just by watching them they are not gonna quit and are gonna leave it all out there on the field. Teams like that pull off amazing wins over better competition because of the toughness, spirit and desire to be better.

In saying all that Celina must have their heads screwed on right players and coaches and be prepared for a war.

regaleagle
11-18-2014, 11:33 PM
There's just no way I see Celina losing this matchup against Monahans as long as Sr. QB Nathan Elliot is playing and leading the offense. Just what he's been through personally and the simple fact that a seasoned Sr. QB is such a big plus to have for every playoff team....esp. a highly ranked one. In my mind, I still have Gilmer facing Celina in the semis, despite whom each team may play to get to that game. Respect for Monahans as a team and program....yes, always. But personnelwise with this year's teams....I think Celina overcomes any and all possible adverisities to get to that semifinal game.

bobcat1
11-19-2014, 06:28 AM
Wasn't saying they were. I don't suspect they will be. Just making a comment. I'll try to go back to refraining from that again. Sorry.

gatordaze
11-19-2014, 11:03 AM
1991, 2012, 2013. Those are the three years in 20+ that a Celina HS player has not experienced a state championship. Winning is an expectation and Celina is not meeting that expectation. Admittedly, the alignment draw has played a large factor in the past 2 years as Celina was at an enrollment disadvantage. They can't complain because they had an enrollment advantage in 2A and along the way. I think that this alignment is favorable for a long run and maybe a break in the mini drought.

SouthTexas Lobo
11-19-2014, 01:20 PM
There's just no way I see Celina losing this matchup against Monahans as long as Sr. QB Nathan Elliot is playing and leading the offense. Just what he's been through personally and the simple fact that a seasoned Sr. QB is such a big plus to have for every playoff team....esp. a highly ranked one. In my mind, I still have Gilmer facing Celina in the semis, despite whom each team may play to get to that game. Respect for Monahans as a team and program....yes, always. But personnelwise with this year's teams....I think Celina overcomes any and all possible adverisities to get to that semifinal game.

I agree with Regal. Monahans's team speed has created issues for them on defense. Traditionally Monahans plays hard nose defense, but this year they have given up more points than i have seen for a long time. Mickey will have them ready to play, but the young men still have to execute the game plan. I see Celina's team speed being too much for the Loboes.

d0tc0m
11-19-2014, 03:55 PM
I was just glancing back through Celina's stats, and I was pretty impressed by how many weapons it looks like the Bobcats actually have. And I was thinking, when was the last time Celina had this kind of offense with these many targets and weapons?

RPF2666
11-19-2014, 03:59 PM
They have had plenty of weapons in the past, just may not have used them they way they are wanting to play, today! There is an absolute
log jam at running back, and that won't change much next year either.

That said, I believe this team needs to stay balanced to get where they want to get, this year!

marler1972
11-19-2014, 04:28 PM
I was just glancing back through Celina's stats, and I was pretty impressed by how many weapons it looks like the Bobcats actually have. And I was thinking, when was the last time Celina had this kind of offense with these many targets and weapons?

Spreading the ball around helps the whole offense.

Razorback88
11-19-2014, 05:09 PM
I agree with Regal. Monahans's team speed has created issues for them on defense. Traditionally Monahans plays hard nose defense, but this year they have given up more points than i have seen for a long time. Mickey will have them ready to play, but the young men still have to execute the game plan. I see Celina's team speed being too much for the Loboes.
The Loboes D had trouble with Andrews and Sweetwater

Aja
11-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Is Elliott back playing for Celina?

orange machine
11-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Is Elliott back playing for Celina?

Yes been back for a month.

defense51
11-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Wasn't saying they were. I don't suspect they will be. Just making a comment. I'll try to go back to refraining from that again. Sorry.

Bobcat1, this is no place for comments... What were you thinking?:tisk:

RPF2666
11-19-2014, 07:48 PM

Bobby is right, and far enough removed from the situation to say what we all know, that over confidence can KILL this time of year...
Also far enough removed to not have a finger on the pulse like some of us who are 'intimately' involved with this years team!

Go Bobcats!

bobcat1
11-19-2014, 07:54 PM
Bobby is right, and far enough removed from the situation to say what we all know, that over confidence can KILL this time of year...
Also far enough removed to not have a finger on the pulse like some of us who are 'intimately' involved with this years team!

Go Bobcats!

Right. I don't live in town nor have a kid playing anymore but do hear from a few in the field house and on the school board on occasion. I still have friends there I think. :wave:

bobcat1
11-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Bobcat1, this is no place for comments... What were you thinking?:tisk:
Heck I don't know. I bet the 2014 Bobcats would like one of these though. This is one from the last year Celina won State. Still think of that special group time to time.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj52/dogncar1/StateChRing_zps4d9ac10e.jpg

RPF2666
11-19-2014, 09:32 PM
Right. I don't live in town nor have a kid playing anymore but do hear from a few in the field house and on the school board on occasion. I still have friends there I think. :wave:

You do!

Sweetwater Red
11-20-2014, 12:50 PM
http://oavarsity.com/news/24399/Monahans-primed-for-smash-mouth-showdown-with-Celina/

Monahans primed for smash-mouth showdown with Celina

Nov 19, 2014 10:58 PM

MONAHANS - In a way for Monahans, lining up against Celina on Friday night will be a lot like looking into a mirror.

After practice Wednesday at Estes Memorial Stadium, several Loboes players raved about the physical brand of football they're expecting from Celina in Friday's Class 4A Division II area tilt.

The Bobcats play hard-nosed football, capable of pounding the ball on the ground or using a cerebral passing attack on offense, all while playing in-your-face defense for a full four quarters.

Those would be intimidating prospects for most.

But for Monahans, it’s a welcome challenge.

"Smash-mouth against smash-mouth — it's the way we like it," Monahans senior running back Jacob Lair said.

Two perennial playoff powers will lock horns when Monahans (7-4) faces Celina (9-2) at 7 p.m. Friday at Gordon Wood Stadium in Brownwood as the Bobcats look to extend a seven-game winning streak.

Celina swept through District 3-4A Division II and crushed Dallas Madison, 67-2, in the bi-district round of the playoffs last week.

The Bobcats’ defense hasn't allowed an opposing team to score more than seven points in a game against them since Oct. 10.

But if anyone is capable of matching the Bobcats blow-for-blow, it's Monahans.

"They're a smash-mouth team, just like we are," Monahans senior receiver Dylan Anderson said. "They're going to hit you in the mouth, and we're going to hit them in the mouth, the whole night.

"It's just whoever stays focused and whoever wants it more."

That was a common theme from the Loboes all afternoon — and it seems like a true sentiment.

As the Loboes and Bobcats look to navigate November and keep playing into December, raw talent isn't going to take either team much further.

"We're not looking at the records, because the records don't matter this time of year," Monahans linebacker Brandon Francisco said. "It's who wants it more, and it's who wants their season to keep going. That's what it's about this time of year."

Monahans head coach Mickey Owens said the Loboes weren't going to change much about their approach going into Friday's game. At this point in the season, with the playbook finely polished, Owens said there isn't much sense in changing too much.

But the Loboes and their Wing-T offense will be as prepared as they can be facing Celina's five-man front, double-eagle defense, and the Bobcats' seemingly-familiar run-first offense.

"They like to run probably more than they pass, but they're a little bit like us mentality-wise," Owens said. "They run, run, run, then lull you to sleep and they throw it. And they can get in the spread, too."

Knowing the physical nature of the matchup, the Loboes’ players said the best way they're preparing is by having strong practices. Francisco said the coaching staff has gone so far as to put some varsity players on the scout team this week, just to give the Loboes a better picture of what's coming.

With the style both teams employ, it seems clear Friday's game will be won or lost by the players on the field — not just through the coaches' Xs and Os.

"We're just trying to have a lot of enthusiasm in practice and stuff, and we're just trying to keep it in our heads to stay positive," Lair said. "They're a great team, and we're going in as the underdogs, so we're trying to keep a positive mindset and we keep working hard.

"We've always got that chance."

That chance is what has driven the Loboes all season — especially the senior class.

"This has always been our goal, since we were little kids in elementary school, you know?" running back Nicko Jasso said. "Just to go to state and play at (AT&T Stadium in Arlington). That's our goal and we believe we can achieve it."

Friday, Monahans has a chance to move one step closer to that dream.

"You always dream of making a run in the playoffs. Always. Ever since Pee Wee, you just want to make a run in the playoffs and go to state," Anderson said. "So that's what our plan is."

Considering how similar Celina is to Monahans, the Bobcats surely have the same plan.
But just one of the two will still be able to hold on to those hopes after Friday.

d0tc0m
11-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Nice little preview. The Monahans players certainly have the right kind of attitude. But I wouldn't say Celina's offense this season has been as run-first-heavy as year's past. And I certainly wouldn't say they like to run, run, run, lull you to sleep and then pass. The Bobcats are way more balanced than that makes it seem. That's why I think there will be matchup problems for the Loboes. Just hurry up, Friday.

RPF2666
11-20-2014, 01:57 PM
Super excited to find out how similar that Wing T is to what we like to run! :thinking:

Celina8
11-20-2014, 02:01 PM
I am still hearing weather conditions might be worse Friday night than original thought as the Rains predicted for Saturday may be much earlier. If it is heavy rain with high wind then this will be about the run game and turnovers.

d0tc0m
11-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Even if it comes to that, I still like the Bobcats by quite a bit. I just can't remember the last time a gimmicky style run game had success against Celina ... 2006 title game against Liberty Hill, maybe.

RPF2666
11-20-2014, 02:06 PM
I am still hearing weather conditions might be worse Friday night than original thought as the Rains predicted for Saturday may be much earlier. If it is heavy rain with high wind then this will be about the run game and turnovers.

10% chance of rain through 9 pm... wind up to 10 mph... weather won't play a factor, until late maybe, and by then I don't believe it will matter!

BwdLion73
11-20-2014, 02:08 PM
NWS is saying Showers and Thunderstorms Mainly after midnight, however these systems sometimes pick up speed and it can change the arrival by a few hours. Everything I have read indicates that this system is moving fast! They are showing game time 60 degrees with a south southeast wind at 10 t0 15.
I hope it holds off for the games sake but I would sure bring some rain gear. Some of the models are showing the first gust front could have 50 to 60 mph winds. They have also not ruled out large hail and a tornado threat. :(

Celina8
11-20-2014, 02:12 PM
NWS is saying Showers and Thunderstorms Mainly after midnight, however these systems sometimes pick up speed and it can change the arrival by a few hours. Everything I have read indicates that this system is moving fast! They are showing game time 60 degrees with a south southeast wind at 10 t0 15.
I hope it holds off for the games sake but I would sure bring some rain gear. Some of the models are showing the first gust front could have 50 to 60 mph winds. They have also not ruled out large hail and a tornado threat. :(

This is what I heard also....!

RPF2666
11-20-2014, 02:17 PM
I like my weather better... sticking with it...

Celina8
11-20-2014, 02:21 PM
I like my weather better... sticking with it...

I like your weather forcast better than mine too!

marler1972
11-20-2014, 02:23 PM
I am done with all this talk I am just ready for Friday.!!!!!!!!

Sweetwater Red
11-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Nice little preview. The Monahans players certainly have the right kind of attitude. But I wouldn't say Celina's offense this season has been as run-first-heavy as year's past. And I certainly wouldn't say they like to run, run, run, lull you to sleep and then pass. The Bobcats are way more balanced than that makes it seem. That's why I think there will be matchup problems for the Loboes. Just hurry up, Friday.

I noticed it said Celina runs a five man front - Is it the 5-2? Last time I watched Celina play they were still running the 10-1.
I believe it was against Liberty Hill.

RPF2666
11-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Our DC still uses the last name Ford!

d0tc0m
11-20-2014, 04:02 PM
I noticed it said Celina runs a five man front - Is it the 5-2? Last time I watched Celina play they were still running the 10-1.
I believe it was against Liberty Hill.

Yeah, never heard their defense referred to as a 5-2 or a 'double-eagle.' The more I reread that article, the more it makes me question Monahan's preparation, and/or this reporter's ability to relay the facts. You'll likely see Celina in the good ol' 10-1 Special this week, which could probably spell bad news for the Loboes, unless they've got a RB named Brent Bode (LH fans, that's for you). I just don't see that archaic fossil of an offense having much success against that Celina defense.

hollywood
11-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Yeah, never heard their defense referred to as a 5-2 or a 'double-eagle.' The more I reread that article, the more it makes me question Monahan's preparation, and/or this reporter's ability to relay the facts. You'll likely see Celina in the good ol' 10-1 Special this week, which could probably spell bad news for the Loboes, unless they've got a RB named Brent Bode (LH fans, that's for you). I just don't see that archaic fossil of an offense having much success against that Celina defense.

This isn't a jab at Celina but I find it funny that you are accussing Monahans of having an archaic fossil of an offense... when it was just a few years ago that all we heard was how pissed off everyone from Celina was that they were switching their offense to the spread. How does the "10-1" defense work against a really good spread team? Someone like Sweetwater, Stephenville, Graham, or even Navasota.

d0tc0m
11-20-2014, 04:28 PM
This isn't a jab at Celina but I find it funny that you are accussing Monahans of having an archaic fossil of an offense... when it was just a few years ago that all we heard was how pissed off everyone from Celina was that they were switching their offense to the spread. How does the "10-1" defense work against a really good spread team? Someone like Sweetwater, Stephenville, Graham, or even Navasota.

You can find it funny all you want, because I was never one of the detractors of switching up the offense. I grew up watching Celina run full house every single snap, and we've been blessed with some fantastic RBs over the years. But I'm also young enough to be on board with change when it's warranted. With the athletes Celina has - and has had in the past - I'm all for evolving and utilizing the talent. And the great thing about this Celina team is they're not dead-set on playing a 10-1 against a spread team like in previous years - which has cost them against really good teams (i.e. Gilmer 2003, Crawford 2004 and plenty of others). And none of that changes, or has anything to do with the fact that the Monahans' wing-t offense is from the dinosaur days.

hollywood
11-20-2014, 04:42 PM
You can find it funny all you want, because I was never one of the detractors of switching up the offense. I grew up watching Celina run full house every single snap, and we've been blessed with some fantastic RBs over the years. But I'm also young enough to be on board with change when it's warranted. With the athletes Celina has - and has had in the past - I'm all for evolving and utilizing the talent. And the great thing about this Celina team is they're not dead-set on playing a 10-1 against a spread team like in previous years - which has cost them against really good teams (i.e. Gilmer 2003, Crawford 2004 and plenty of others). And none of that changes, or has anything to do with the fact that the Monahans' wing-t offense is from the dinosaur days.

I was just glad to see Celina make the change to the spread. It does utilize more of the talent and spreads defenses out. You can do more with less. Elliot is a pretty good gun slinger as well. Should be a fun ride for you guys the next few weeks. Sweetwater will be a challenge in Reg 1 and then there's the 3 headed monster in Gilmer. But, you just play one game a week and hope you live to play another week! Good luck

bobcat1
11-20-2014, 07:55 PM
This isn't a jab at Celina but I find it funny that you are accussing Monahans of having an archaic fossil of an offense... when it was just a few years ago that all we heard was how pissed off everyone from Celina was that they were switching their offense to the spread. How does the "10-1" defense work against a really good spread team? Someone like Sweetwater, Stephenville, Graham, or even Navasota.You have no idea what would be coming!

SouthTexas Lobo
11-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Even if it comes to that, I still like the Bobcats by quite a bit. I just can't remember the last time a gimmicky style run game had success against Celina ... 2006 title game against Liberty Hill, maybe.

The Wing T is a gimmicky style, don't get where your coming from by saying that? I wouldnt consider Wing T gimmicky. Just my thoughts

SouthTexas Lobo
11-20-2014, 08:11 PM

I think it's funny that you seem to focus on a dinosaur Wing T. Smart coaches adjsut to their talent, and Owens runs an offense that best fits his time. I'm sure Celina scheme and offense is run according to their talent each year. Smart coaches adjust to their talent level. Just my two cents. Good luck to all Friday night

d0tc0m
11-20-2014, 08:31 PM
The wing-t is an old offense ... that's not a knock on Monahans or their coaches, players and fans. But calling an old offense what it is not off base. Sorry, man.

Sweetwater Red
11-21-2014, 09:50 AM
http://oavarsity.com/news/24414/Nov--21-Permian-Basin-football-playoff-capsules/

Monahans Loboes vs. Celina Bobcats

CLASS 4A DIVISION II

AREA PLAYOFF

>> Time, date, place: 7 p.m. tonight, Gordon Wood Stadium, Brownwood.

>> Head coaches: Monahans, Mickey Owens; Celina, Bill Elliott.

>> Districts: Monahans, 2-4A (second place); Celina, 3-4A (first place).

>> Records: Monahans 7-4, Celina 9-2.

>> Next opponent: Iowa Park.

>> Last Week: Monahans def. Bushland, 54-39; Celina def. Dallas Madison, 67-2.

>> Last playoff appearance: Monahans 2013 (area); Celina 2013 (bi-district).

>> Last playoff meeting: None.

>> Monahans leaders: QB Quentin Jones (76-of-138, 1,418 yards, 18 touchdowns, four interceptions); RB Nicko Jasso (137 carries, 1,141 yards, 15 touchdowns); RB Jacob Lair (130 carries, 701 yards, 16 touchdowns); LB Brandon Francisco (78 tackles); DE Lucas Rodriguez (70 tackles, seven sacks).

>> Radio: FM-98.3 (Monahans).

>> Web: 98xfm.com (Monahans).

>> Notes: The matchup between Monahans and Celina will be a meeting of perennial playoff powers. Neither team is a stranger to the postseason. Monahans has made it into the playoffs every season since 2004, while Celina hasn’t missed out on the postseason since 1993. “They’ve very physical,” Monahans head coach Mickey Owens said of Celina. “The first thing you see is how physical they are on both sides of the ball. Very physical offensive line, very physical defensive line. Very disciplined. They’re going to play man-to-man all over the field and get in your face.”

RPF2666
11-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Game Day! Time to head West on Lobo Hunt!

Seriously, safe travels to everyone heading in every direction tonight/today!

SouthTexas Lobo
11-21-2014, 10:45 AM
The wing-t is an old offense ... that's not a knock on Monahans or their coaches, players and fans. But calling an old offense what it is not off base. Sorry, man.

I appreciate your comment, good luck to Celina, even though i believe that won't need it. Safe travels to all going to game.

BwdLion73
11-21-2014, 02:03 PM
Looks like the rain will hold off till after the game. 60 degrees at kickoff with light winds or 10 to 15.
Who is the home team?

EagleEye
11-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Monahans is home team.

BwdLion73
11-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Thanks, Safe travels and spend money!:)

d0tc0m
11-21-2014, 03:52 PM
I appreciate your comment, good luck to Celina, even though i believe that won't need it. Safe travels to all going to game.

Safe travels to all of you guys heading out to Brownwood ... and here's praying for a safe, injury-free game for both teams. Regardless of what happens tonight, I hope both schools and communities are well represented, and given the history of both programs, I'm sure that will be the case. I'm jealous of all you guys that will be attending. I'll be listening in, though!

Good luck to the Bobcats and the Lobos!

bobcat1
11-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Backups in for Celina and sounds like it's getting a little chippy. under 6 minutes left. Celina leads 43-15

bobcat1
11-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Bobcat backups take over on downs. Still lead 43-15.

LoboesWT
11-22-2014, 03:10 AM
Monahans was outplayed tonight no doubt it was a down year. The lack of physicality and Defensively unable to tackle and play assignment football. Rough year for our first year DC. Hopefully change is coming to get loboes back to regular form.

RPF2666
11-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Good job Bobcats! On to next week and Thanksgiving football, again!

Monahans gave it all they had, there just wasn't enough there to give against a bigger, more
athletic bunch of well prepared young men from Celina.

Bosqueville
11-23-2014, 10:36 AM
Unlike one downlow member, I assume you folks didn't think the stadium was a dump?

orange machine
11-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Unlike one downlow member, I assume you folks didn't think the stadium was a dump?

I liked it. The restrooms need updating but other than that it wasnt bad at all, easy to get to good lighting.

Red&White_9x5
11-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Monahans was outplayed tonight no doubt it was a down year. The lack of physicality and Defensively unable to tackle and play assignment football. Rough year for our first year DC. Hopefully change is coming to get loboes back to regular form.

I was in Brownwood this weekend for family reasons, and as much as I hated to miss the Stangs play, I was glad I got to catch this one. First off, Celina is the real deal. Hopefully we can take care of a good Vernon team this week and get a Crack at the Bobcats.
This is the second time I've seen Monahans this year with the other being at our place weeks ago. There are similarities and differences with this year's bunch and that of years past. Similarities I saw were they were physical, they played extremely hard every snap, and being an old coach, I didn't see much in the way of holes in their scheme. Differences were they were smaller and more undersized than usual and they struggled tackling at times which good athletes will cause this. #5 from Celina was as impressive of back as ive seen in a long time. I looked at the roster and even though they are losing a couple good RB ' s , they have a lot coming back. I see them being pretty tough for us next year.
As far as Celina? If we meet up next week it should be a heck of a game. I sure hope it happens. I'm not sure we will slow the Cats offense down any better than Monahans did but I do think we will challenge them with our offense

Celina8
11-23-2014, 12:29 PM
I was in Brownwood this weekend for family reasons, and as much as I hated to miss the Stangs play, I was glad I got to catch this one. First off, Celina is the real deal. Hopefully we can take care of a good Vernon team this week and get a Crack at the Bobcats.
This is the second time I've seen Monahans this year with the other being at our place weeks ago. There are similarities and differences with this year's bunch and that of years past. Similarities I saw were they were physical, they played extremely hard every snap, and being an old coach, I didn't see much in the way of holes in their scheme. Differences were they were smaller and more undersized than usual and they struggled tackling at times which good athletes will cause this. #5 from Celina was as impressive of back as ive seen in a long time. I looked at the roster and even though they are losing a couple good RB ' s , they have a lot coming back. I see them being pretty tough for us next year.
As far as Celina? If we meet up next week it should be a heck of a game. I sure hope it happens. I'm not sure we will slow the Cats offense down any better than Monahans did but I do think we will challenge them with our offense

For some strange reason the more I read about Sweetwater , the team that keeps popping up in my head is Crawford when we first met them and they jumped on us very quickly which we never seemed to recover. Their passing game just ate us alive that night and before you knew it we were behind 26 to 0 before the half I think.

marler1972
11-23-2014, 02:40 PM
If we keep playing how we are we will be good with anyone we play. The boys continue to get better each week.

LoboesWT
11-24-2014, 10:57 AM

We have always been undersized and outmatched. This years team lacked fundamentals, especially with tackling. This team lacked physicality. Scheme was correct at times, execution of it was not! Players are a reflection of their coach. Unable to make in game changes and execute to stop what offense did was a problem most of the year. This was a down year for the Loboes no doubt. Celina was good, but not unbeatable. #5 could play, but most running backs can break weak arm tackles. On the flip side if your defense is on the field for 3 plus quaters its never a good sign anyway.

full circle
11-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Monahans had no chance with that offensive scheme.

RPF2666
11-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Monahans had no chance with that offensive scheme.

Exactly... their defense could have been great and it wouldn't have mattered. They kept fighting, but
they were not going to generate any significant offense...running what they were running...

Red&White_9x5
11-24-2014, 02:25 PM
We have always been undersized and outmatched. This years team lacked fundamentals, especially with tackling. This team lacked physicality. Scheme was correct at times, execution of it was not! Players are a reflection of their coach. Unable to make in game changes and execute to stop what offense did was a problem most of the year. This was a down year for the Loboes no doubt. Celina was good, but not unbeatable. #5 could play, but most running backs can break weak arm tackles. On the flip side if your defense is on the field for 3 plus quaters its never a good sign anyway.

No offense meant hear but you're the same one that criticized your offense after your game with us for throwing the ball too much. Once you were down three touchdowns in the 3rd or 4th quarters what did you want them to do? I understand you being frustrated but with all due respect you don't really know what a down year is or what a season of poor coaching is. We had a stretch before the current staff for here where kids couldn't line up right 2 plays in a row. We just ended a long playoff drought in a tradition rich program. I have experienced rough times watching and supporting my team. You saw more Lobo games than me this year but it looked nothing like what we went though after Jackson left until now for us. I can't figure out who you're mad with. Is it the offense or the defense or both?

Sweetwater Red
11-24-2014, 02:45 PM
We had a stretch before the current staff for here where kids couldn't line up right 2 plays in a row.

Sad but true. It was 2009 and 2010 with 2009 being the least successful in the 115 year history of Sweetwater Football.

full circle
11-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Red & white, Craig Slaughter can get them lined up, the difference in Sweetwater is the talent, just like it is 99% of the time, any coach will tell you that

orange machine
11-24-2014, 03:35 PM

The score could have and probably should have been worse than it was. Ill give credit to a tough Monahans defense for making the plays that needed to be made so Celina did not score more points, but at the same time Celina left points on the field because of poor execution. In saying that Celina chose to run the ball with Alexander #5 because yall could not stop him. So Celina was grinding more clock, I think and hope the Celina coaches have figured out that run first is the way to go with this offense and then pass second when team try to load the box. Ill say this if Celina's passing game is on then they are gonna be very hard to beat. The game against yall the passing game was not on, but it didn't need to be because Alexander looked like a video game. If Elliott stayed healthy this year Celina is 12-0 right now. Good news is Monahans gave Celina a great look and made Celina work a little which will be good moving forward. Take that as a complement!

LoboesWT
11-24-2014, 04:37 PM
No offense meant hear but you're the same one that criticized your offense after your game with us for throwing the ball too much. Once you were down three touchdowns in the 3rd or 4th quarters what did you want them to do? I understand you being frustrated but with all due respect you don't really know what a down year is or what a season of poor coaching is. We had a stretch before the current staff for here where kids couldn't line up right 2 plays in a row. We just ended a long playoff drought in a tradition rich program. I have experienced rough times watching and supporting my team. You saw more Lobo games than me this year but it looked nothing like what we went though after Jackson left until now for us. I can't figure out who you're mad with. Is it the offense or the defense or both?

Wing T is a running offense as you know and when you have to rely on passing to get by to games don't go so well. If you have coached in the Wing T passing is more of an element of surprise. When passing to early you end up and end up two - three touchdowns down you then have no choice but hope for a big play passing. Burn clock control the ball. if you have players that cant line up two plays in a row-CHANGE PLAYERS! It was a down year period! OUR HC will get it fixed that's for sure, but there were some frustrating times and Friday night was no exception.

Red&White_9x5
11-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Red & white, Craig Slaughter can get them lined up, the difference in Sweetwater is the talent, just like it is 99% of the time, any coach will tell you that

Full Circle I agree. As I re-read the comment I typed I can see how it could be taken wrong. I didn't mean that as a jab in any way. There is no doubt that there is a difference in talent now as compared to then. Talent is almost always the determining factor and we are blessed right now. Also explains how LobosWT's point may be a little off based too. I have a hard time believing the staff of the Green Machine tell them to not be physical or to arm tackle. Or to not block, or to turn the ball over , etc.... I was trying to explain how being upset over getting knocked out in the second round is harsh especially if you went through a period of not making it at all to the dance

orange machine
11-24-2014, 05:38 PM
I'm really hoping for a Celina Sweetwater game.

Red&White_9x5
11-25-2014, 06:51 PM
I'm really hoping for a Celina Sweetwater game.

Me too Orange, me too!!