PDA

View Full Version : If Stidham is in the game...its a different story...

here4Villa
11-11-2014, 07:24 AM
I have been reading these forums for a couple weeks now and was compelled to start posting and respond to something's I have read.

The fact is, in both the Big Spring game and Wylie game, had Stidham been in, the outcomes would have been different. The Ville has had several missed opportunities in the red zone in both games that could have given them the win. Chavy has done his best, but Stidham just has that "it" factor to get things done and make plays. When Stidham is in, the offense just has more energy and ability. Point being, I look for Stephenville to make a run and get vindication(3rd round big spring/4th round Wylie) if they can make it through the first couple of rounds. Not only will winning give them more confidence, but then getting Stidham back by the third round(if healthy) will give them that much more drive!

D'Highlander
11-11-2014, 07:44 AM
Welcome... and the one problem with that whole statement is Decatur can throw and everyone knows Stephenville cant beat throwing teams...

Aguilafanatico
11-11-2014, 07:56 AM
I have been reading these forums for a couple weeks now and was compelled to start posting and respond to something's I have read.

The fact is, in both the Big Spring game and Wylie game, had Stidham been in, the outcomes would have been different. The Ville has had several missed opportunities in the red zone in both games that could have given them the win. Chavy has done his best, but Stidham just has that "it" factor to get things done and make plays. When Stidham is in, the offense just has more energy and ability. Point being, I look for Stephenville to make a run and get vindication(3rd round big spring/4th round Wylie) if they can make it through the first couple of rounds. Not only will winning give them more confidence, but then getting Stidham back by the third round(if healthy) will give them that much more drive!

Was Stephenville undefeated when Stidham was healthy? Just curious.

here4Villa
11-11-2014, 08:01 AM
No they lost one game early in the season. And the team just wasn't playing cohesive at that point. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Stidham is the end all be all, the team has to do their part in every aspect of the game. I'm just saying that given the circumstances, getting your star QB back could be a motivator as a whole. These kids feed off of his energy, it's exciting to watch.

the Ville 89
11-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Was Stephenville undefeated when Stidham was healthy? Just curious.

Against 4a teams? Yes!

panfan
11-11-2014, 08:42 AM

Fact is, he wasn't and thus the result. If the team and the coaches are as good as being sold on here, then the adjustment are made, and the team continues and is successful without him. Seems to me, those adjustments haven't been made, both in physical play and in attitude. Just an opinion.

here4Villa
11-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Nah! You know that's not the case. Cut the head off the snake it loses its way. Like any team, it affects all aspects if you lose your leader. Again I'm not saying that he is the end all be all, but if he has the chance to come back this season, you'll see.

jason
11-11-2014, 09:09 AM
I live in Stephenville and even I am tired of hearing about this...

I do know he got his cast off last Thursday though!!!

panfan
11-11-2014, 09:31 AM
I live in Stephenville and even I am tired of hearing about this...

I do know he got his cast off last Thursday though!!!

I don't live there but... :ditto:

Instead of talking about when he gets back and how it would have been different had he been in, talk about what you are gonna do with what you got right now.

slingshot
11-11-2014, 09:39 AM
I don't live there but... :ditto:

Instead of talking about when he gets back and how it would have been different had he been in, talk about what you are gonna do with what you got right now.This. Stidham is a great player... but like stated before, he doesn't play defense--that is your main concern.

bearbear78
11-11-2014, 09:43 AM
I think both games would have gone different as well but they are sealed. Right now focus on Decatur and dont take them lightly or they WILL surprise ya...they make some crazy and insane throws that the receivers come down with...they are the Bradshaw and Swans of HS football!!! You cant tell their QB isnt super great with those receivers making bad throws look amazing...forget everything else and focus on Decatur

Ragin Red
11-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Is Stidham going to come back or is he going to get ready for college ball? I've seen Stidham play both football and basketball great athlete with great potential.

hollywood
11-11-2014, 01:04 PM
I love this site... everyone gets to voice their opinions and share their thoughts! Keep posting Here4Villa.

defense51
11-11-2014, 01:10 PM
This. Stidham is a great player... but like stated before, he doesn't play defense--that is your main concern. Ding, ding, ding... We have a winner! As seen against Big Spring, it doesn't matter if you can score 50-60 points when you allow your opponent to score more...

caleb_mccaig
11-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Is Stidham going to come back or is he going to get ready for college ball? I've seen Stidham play both football and basketball great athlete with great potential.

Great question.....do you rush back and risk further injury or do you focus on your future which could possibly hold a seven figure payday?

hollywood
11-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Just for the record, I think the Stephenville defense has gotten better over the course of the season and especially in the past 3 weeks. They have played really well in most of the snaps of the ball but a few missed assignments here and there lead to giving up big plays. They held a Wylie offense who they claim is clicking much better to 21 points. We'll let it prove out this week.

slingshot
11-11-2014, 02:03 PM
Just for the record, I think the Stephenville defense has gotten better over the course of the season and especially in the past 3 weeks. They have played really well in most of the snaps of the ball but a few missed assignments here and there lead to giving up big plays. They held a Wylie offense who they claim is clicking much better to 21 points. We'll let it prove out this week....with 2 weeks to prepare. Won't have that luxury from here on out.

here4Villa
11-11-2014, 02:35 PM
1st of all let me say that I did not start this thread to "live in the past" and I am quite sure the team, city and fans know that we need to move on and focus on what we have to do for Decatur. Secondly the defense has most definitely improved and in my opinion are a big reason why we didn't get "STOMPED" by Wylie...anyone who witnessed that game knows that a stomping could have been looming had the defense played like they had in past games. I am quite sure our defense is going to be ready for what ever comes their way. I will say again that I am worried more about offense than anything else. Even when we were able to score on Big Spring there were still 2 or 3 opportunities in the red zone that we did not capitalize on, as well as the Wylie game, this is where I say Stidham could have helped. No he doesn't play on defense, special teams or any other position (obviously) but when a team loses their leader it affects everyone. Accept the Philadelphia Eagles apparently, whom I was hoping were going to get stomped by the Panthers. I am excited about this game against Decatur and in my opinion (just mine) I feel the Jackets will be ready.

hollywood
11-11-2014, 02:48 PM
...with 2 weeks to prepare. Won't have that luxury from here on out.

Lol, ok slingshot. Do you think the Bulldogs utilized their open week to get some needed things worked out and got better from it? In other words utilized that time to get better as a team and not to prepare for just the next game?

jacket98,99
11-11-2014, 04:12 PM
"Great question.....do you rush back and risk further injury or do you focus on your future which could possibly hold a seven figure payday?"

Come on, everyone knows you can't make that kind of money playing football at Tech. You gotta go to UT for that size game check.

caleb_mccaig
11-11-2014, 04:19 PM
"Great question.....do you rush back and risk further injury or do you focus on your future which could possibly hold a seven figure payday?"

Come on, everyone knows you can't make that kind of money playing football at Tech. You gotta go to UT for that size game check.

Lol!!!!

Cactus Thomas
11-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Ding, ding, ding... We have a winner! As seen against Big Spring, it doesn't matter if you can score 50-60 points when you allow your opponent to score more...

The thing is Stidham DOES play defense. He is one of their best defensive players although I believe they only put him in on D when they have to -- like in playoffs.

defense51
11-11-2014, 04:44 PM
The thing is Stidham DOES play defense. He is one of their best defensive players although I believe they only put him in on D when they have to -- like in playoffs.

I never mentioned whether he plays defense or not... However, I'm betting you never see him on defense under any circumstances, if he returns before the Jackets season is over!

jacket98,99
11-11-2014, 04:58 PM
I never mentioned whether he plays defense or not... However, I'm betting you never see him on defense under any circumstances, if he returns before the Jackets season is over!

That would be a losing bet. IF Stidham is playing and S'ville is in a close game where we need a stop to win. He will be on the field. But first thing first, we have to beat a good team in Decatur.

defense51
11-11-2014, 05:12 PM
That would be a losing bet. IF Stidham is playing and S'ville is in a close game where we need a stop to win. He will be on the field. But first thing first, we have to beat a good team in Decatur.

I'd still take that bet! :thinking: The Jackets experience in playoff games will prove to be the difference against Decatur; but I can see this being a high scoring, shootout type game.

JVDAD
11-11-2014, 10:44 PM
If it's and buts were candy and nuts............funny thing is no one knows, maybe Stidham has an off night and throws 3 picks....... The kid at QB now is a good player maybe better than most. Best rally around him and not worry about the one that can't play right now.

hollywood
11-11-2014, 10:55 PM
If it's and buts were candy and nuts............funny thing is no one knows, maybe Stidham has an off night and throws 3 picks....... The kid at QB now is a good player maybe better than most. Best rally around him and not worry about the one that can't play right now.

Yep, truer words for sure JVDAD! ;)

briandumith*
11-11-2014, 10:59 PM
REST HIM...y'all can beat Decatur with out him...

Dawgs
11-12-2014, 02:40 AM
1st of all let me say that I did not start this thread to "live in the past" and I am quite sure the team, city and fans know that we need to move on and focus on what we have to do for Decatur. Secondly the defense has most definitely improved and in my opinion are a big reason why we didn't get "STOMPED" by Wylie...anyone who witnessed that game knows that a stomping could have been looming had the defense played like they had in past games. I am quite sure our defense is going to be ready for what ever comes their way. I will say again that I am worried more about offense than anything else. Even when we were able to score on Big Spring there were still 2 or 3 opportunities in the red zone that we did not capitalize on, as well as the Wylie game, this is where I say Stidham could have helped. No he doesn't play on defense, special teams or any other position (obviously) but when a team loses their leader it affects everyone. Accept the Philadelphia Eagles apparently, whom I was hoping were going to get stomped by the Panthers. I am excited about this game against Decatur and in my opinion (just mine) I feel the Jackets will be ready.

So the defense didn't allow the Jackets to get "stomped" out the last game of the regular season and now they are much improved? Ready for anything that comes there way? You guys have played terrible defense all season, but started improving the last game of the season? You Ville guys kill me. Hollywood is that you? Ville is going to get beat by somebody as bad as they did last season by Kilgore. Ohh and they played that game with a beat up Stidham, and most of the posters were saying Ville would have won with a healthy Stidham. That game should have showed Ville they needed a back up plan. Atleast you guys can't go around crowing about not getting beat by any 4a teams anymore. In the last 11 games y'all have been beat by 3.

D'Highlander
11-12-2014, 06:34 AM
So the defense didn't allow the Jackets to get "stomped" out the last game of the regular season and now they are much improved? Ready for anything that comes there way? You guys have played terrible defense all season, but started improving the last game of the season? You Ville guys kill me. Hollywood is that you? Ville is going to get beat by somebody as bad as they did last season by Kilgore. Ohh and they played that game with a beat up Stidham, and most of the posters were saying Ville would have won with a healthy Stidham. That game should have showed Ville they needed a back up plan. Atleast you guys can't go around crowing about not getting beat by any 4a teams anymore. In the last 11 games y'all have been beat by 3.

BOOOOMMMM!!!!!

Post of the year! :clap:

slingshot
11-12-2014, 09:06 AM
So the defense didn't allow the Jackets to get "stomped" out the last game of the regular season and now they are much improved? Ready for anything that comes there way? You guys have played terrible defense all season, but started improving the last game of the season? You Ville guys kill me. Hollywood is that you? Ville is going to get beat by somebody as bad as they did last season by Kilgore. Ohh and they played that game with a beat up Stidham, and most of the posters were saying Ville would have won with a healthy Stidham. That game should have showed Ville they needed a back up plan. Atleast you guys can't go around crowing about not getting beat by any 4a teams anymore. In the last 11 games y'all have been beat by 3.Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner!

jason
11-12-2014, 09:11 AM
Don't say 'you ville guys'. Not all of us are drink the kool-aid homers who only see things through blue and gold glasses...
You have to admit, the defense did play better vs Wylie than Big Spring, that doesn't mean they're any good, just means they had two weeks to prepare and played better.
You can also look this up, I said it right after the game, obviously with a healthy Stidham last years' Kilgore game would have been closer, I don't know what the outcome would have been, but I think we can all agree that it wouldn't have been the blowout that it was. Any time a team loses a player of his caliber the outcomes are going to be effected in some way - whether it is winning by a smaller margin or losing all together.

Hell, I picked Wylie in the pick'em last week!!!

hollywood
11-12-2014, 01:52 PM
So the defense didn't allow the Jackets to get "stomped" out the last game of the regular season and now they are much improved? Ready for anything that comes there way? You guys have played terrible defense all season, but started improving the last game of the season? You Ville guys kill me. Hollywood is that you? Ville is going to get beat by somebody as bad as they did last season by Kilgore. Ohh and they played that game with a beat up Stidham, and most of the posters were saying Ville would have won with a healthy Stidham. That game should have showed Ville they needed a back up plan. Atleast you guys can't go around crowing about not getting beat by any 4a teams anymore. In the last 11 games y'all have been beat by 3. Dawgs, for those that have seen this years team play know the defense has had its struggles. Overall, the defense plays well enough most of the snaps of the ball. It's not a shutdown defense by any means. So they aren't terrible. It's missed assignments that have allowed big plays. They get their stops. And we have to give credit to the offenses this team has played. We'll see how they respond this week and continue this conversation next week. ;)

bird_fan
11-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Its a tough break to lose such a talented player. I know a spread offense really depends highly on the QB. I hope he can return before the season ends. GOD LUCK!!

slingshot
11-12-2014, 04:15 PM
I know I'll probably regret saying this and everyone else in Abilene will think I'm crazy, but... I hope Stidham comes back healthy and that both teams are as close to full strength as possible when we meet (possibly) in the Reg 1 final (I know--Graham, Big Spring and Andrews will have a lot to do with us both making it there). I think it would be the classic matchup--fantastic defense vs fantastic offense. I do know Stidham will make Stephenville better--maybe 2-3 TD's better? I also know Wylie will put up more than 21 next time with the playbook opened up and don't forget--we are getting Kleffner back to complement Johnston in the backfield. He is a legit 4.4 scatback that can take over a game with his speed and was our leading rusher and receiver the 1st 4 games of the season. He gets behind you or even with you--he's gone. Just ask Burnet... Dang I love the playoffs!

Dawgs
11-12-2014, 04:43 PM
Dawgs, for those that have seen this years team play know the defense has had its struggles. Overall, the defense plays well enough most of the snaps of the ball. It's not a shutdown defense by any means. So they aren't terrible. It's missed assignments that have allowed big plays. They get their stops. And we have to give credit to the offenses this team has played. We'll see how they respond this week and continue this conversation next week. ;)

Can we get some defensive stats from the regular season? I would like to see them on paper. I know y'all got some guys who keep excellent record of Ville throughout the season.

rb585
11-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Only Stephenville homers could blame a 64-57 loss on the backup QB.

(OK, Brownwood homers could also do it if the situation arose.)

toddg
11-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Can we get some defensive stats from the regular season? I would like to see them on paper. I know y'all got some guys who keep excellent record of Ville throughout the season. just go to Sville's website...www.stephenvilleyellowjackets.com (http://www.stephenvilleyellowjackets.com......he) he has every boxscore from all games played this season, and stats too..please consider donating its an excellent site !!!!!

jason
11-12-2014, 05:24 PM

nobody blamed that on the backup qb.
all the blame in that one goes to the defense.

the Ville 89
11-12-2014, 06:17 PM

Wow!!!!
Ok why are you guys making crap up?? EVERYBODY KNOWS.... THAT LOSS WAS ON THE DEFENSE!!!

Dawgs
11-12-2014, 06:23 PM
just go to Sville's website...www.stephenvilleyellowjackets.com (http://www.stephenvilleyellowjackets.com......he) he has every boxscore from all games played this season, and stats too..please consider donating its an excellent site !!!!!

No disrespect and I am sure the guys who work on that site work very hard and do an excellent job...but I wouldn't donate a pair of holey underwear to anything to do with Ville!!

toddg
11-12-2014, 06:28 PM
No disrespect and I am sure the guys who work on that site work very hard and do an excellent job...but I wouldn't donate a pair of holey underwear to anything to do with Ville!! ok..but you can still ckeck out the stats

stardog
11-12-2014, 06:29 PM
I'd still take that bet! :thinking: The Jackets experience in playoff games will prove to be the difference against Decatur; but I can see this being a high scoring, shootout type game.

Does Decatur not have any playoff experience ?

Cam
11-12-2014, 06:30 PM
I know I'll probably regret saying this and everyone else in Abilene will think I'm crazy, but... I hope Stidham comes back healthy and that both teams are as close to full strength as possible when we meet (possibly) in the Reg 1 final (I know--Graham, Big Spring and Andrews will have a lot to do with us both making it there). I think it would be the classic matchup--fantastic defense vs fantastic offense. I do know Stidham will make Stephenville better--maybe 2-3 TD's better? I also know Wylie will put up more than 21 next time with the playbook opened up and don't forget--we are getting Kleffner back to complement Johnston in the backfield. He is a legit 4.4 scatback that can take over a game with his speed and was our leading rusher and receiver the 1st 4 games of the season. He gets behind you or even with you--he's gone. Just ask Burnet... Dang I love the playoffs!

:eek:....Kleffner no doubt is a talented scatback as you say....but let's not rub it in Burnet's face too too much!...That was a long time ago and in Burnet's defense (or lack thereof! - get it?:D) ...Burnet was missing 5 defensive players for that game....that's a lot of players for any team....anyways, ya'll whooped Burnet pretty good that night....wish a rematch was on the horizon.....and I'm NEVER careful of what I wish for!.....:D.....it was a good game for Burnet...lot's of young ones got to play and grow up fast...and now it's paying off some...the Burnet D still has room for improvement....

stardog
11-12-2014, 06:52 PM
if - IF'S were worth anything should spot the Village People some points. Teams with starters out should get points based on their value to even the game. Shouldn't penalize for injuries and players out. Then the team has a chance to advance so their injured players can make it back to the playoffs. They deserve better. Everyone else is at full strength. The if's, buts, and had nots shouldn't go against them. Then when everyone returns that would show who the real best team is. The Best Team at the start of the year should be the best at the End. Or is that why we play the game and season.

Aguilafanatico
11-12-2014, 07:18 PM
If that were the case, Argyle would have gotten through both Gilmer and especially Fairfield much easier last year. We lost All State MLB Sizelove (arguably the best player) just prior to the playoffs to an ACL last year. The boys stepped up, rallied, and won without him. It is possible. We would have taken the extra points though.

5wide
11-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Does Decatur not have any playoff experience ?

Yes they do. Decatur made it to the 3rd round last year in Division one. Ended up losing to Chapel Hill 55-40. Turnovers last year really hurt them in that game.

slingshot
11-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Yes they do. Decatur made it to the 3rd round last year in Division one...Seems I remember some 'playoff experience' in '04... :smoker:

stardog
11-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Yes they do. Decatur made it to the 3rd round last year in Division one. Ended up losing to Chapel Hill 55-40. Turnovers last year really hurt them in that game.

my point was that defense51 stated that the jackets experience in playoff games will prove to be the difference so Decatur must not have any playoff experience.

5wide
11-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Seems I remember some 'playoff experience' in '04... :smoker:

I think everyone from Decatur remembers that "experience".

But to your point, we are talking about 16, 17 and 18 yr old kids. Only way experience helps is if players on the team have won a state championship when they were on the team. Tradition can give you more swagger than an opponent with less tradition and that can play a huge part. Decatur has a good rep of being a solid program. The 04' Wylie loss is a good example. Wylie had no business beating Decatur in the playoffs after Decatur whooped them 44-7 at home, then played them in the 3rd round and loss 14-13. It's all about that one night. Kids can buy into anything if they just believe.

hollywood
11-12-2014, 09:28 PM
I think everyone from Decatur remembers that "experience".

But to your point, we are talking about 16, 17 and 18 yr old kids. Only way experience helps is if players on the team have won a state championship when they were on the team. Tradition can give you more swagger than an opponent with less tradition and that can play a huge part. Decatur has a good rep of being a solid program. The 04' Wylie loss is a good example. Wylie had no business beating Decatur in the playoffs after Decatur whooped them 44-7 at home, then played them in the 3rd round and loss 14-13. It's all about that one night. Kids can buy into anything if they just believe.

I was at that game in Stephenville. Great game! Enjoyed watching one of my old HS football coaches son at QB lead Wylie for the upset. I was a mostly neutral spectator aside from that.

And you're right, these are teenagers and anything can happen on any given night. One just hopes it's their team that plays to their potential and gives it their all.

There are several on the Sville team that got to experience the 2012 State Championship. Doesn't mean that will translate into a win this week or the next or the next, but the experience is there! ;)