PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood vs Graham

BwdLions
11-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Let's get it started. I'm not sure how much these two teams have changed since the first meeting. I do know Brownwood played a lot of sophomores and a freshman against Big Spring. I'm not sure if any injured players will be back this Friday. How healthy are the Steers?

briandumith*
11-10-2014, 08:51 PM
http://flynnpc.smugmug.com/Sports/Graham/Football/2014-04-FB-Steers-vs-Brownwood/i-LnwfXtc/1/X2/FB_Steers_2014-09-05_2489-X2.jpg
:2thumbsup

Inmateboss
11-10-2014, 11:27 PM
We still have several out but have decent backup!! Graham should roll in this one !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - inmateboss

bearbear78
11-11-2014, 09:54 AM
M&g?

Inmateboss
11-11-2014, 10:46 AM
M&g?

I'm trying to get off work so I can go, and a M&G would be great ! Not sure where some of these places don't allow cross overs!!

hollywood
11-11-2014, 12:10 PM
I have to say that Graham should win this game but hoping for a Brownwood win. Alma matar... sorry Grahamites!

:wave:

Inmateboss
11-11-2014, 12:27 PM
I have to say that Graham should win this game but hoping for a Brownwood win. Alma matar... sorry Grahamites!

:wave:

Holler for who ya like !! No problem here, if we're not playing them I holler for wylie all the time!! But if we play them nothing is sweeter than a good smack down!! Right Ccmom !!

Ragin Red
11-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Holler for who ya like !! No problem here, if we're not playing them I holler for wylie all the time!! But if we play them nothing is sweeter than a good smack down!! Right Ccmom !!

:iagree:

JVDAD
11-11-2014, 11:18 PM
For some reason this match up intrigues me. I think mostly because it is hard to beat the same team twice?? If Graham plays flawless I think they win big. If however Graham makes a few mistakes and allows Brownwood to stay in it, could be a close upset.

Aguilafanatico
11-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Don't know this to be true but based on the film I saw from a Brownwood game they looked REALLY small.
Am I correct?

hollywood
11-11-2014, 11:47 PM
Don't know this to be true but based on the film I saw from a Brownwood game they looked REALLY small.
Am I correct?

No, they have good size and definitely pass the eye test. Their execution has plagued them most of the season. They're not Abilene Wylie big, but have good size across the field for a 4A.

95mustang
11-12-2014, 01:40 AM
Am I correct?

We have decent size. We also have a ton of youth that has grown this season. Played majority sophmores and 1 freshman against Big Spring on defense.
We will have growing pains like the fumble on the kick off that allowed Big Spring to seal the win. I know this group has a lot of fight for being young.
Not going to bash Graham, because they have my respect, but wouldn't be surprised if we somehow pull out a win.

BwdLions
11-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Stop being so nice Mustang. The Lions will win this game. That is, if we can hold onto the ball.

Inmateboss
11-12-2014, 11:49 AM
Stop being so nice Mustang. The Lions will win this game. That is, if we can hold onto the ball.

Holding on to the ball this year has been a problem for many teams this year!! We call it kicking your own a$$ disease !!

toddg
11-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Holding on to the ball this year has been a problem for many teams this year!! We call it kicking your own a$$ disease !! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - inmateboss cover the ends, keep the ball close to your body!! easier said than done i guess

Aguilafanatico
11-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Holding on to the ball this year has been a problem for many teams this year!! We call it kicking your own a$$ disease !!

While some teams just seem prone to give the rock away, turnovers don't normally just happen. Give the defenses some credit. Most takeaways are caused. It blows me away when guys say, we would have won if we hadnt turned the ball over. Yep and you might not have turned the ball over had a d-lineman not broken free and poked a ball out from behind or a Safety hadn't broke well on a ball and picked it or a QB not made a bad throw with a big rush in his face.

hollywood
11-12-2014, 12:50 PM
While some teams just seem prone to give the rock away, turnovers don't normally just happen. Give the defenses some credit. Most takeaways are caused. It blows me away when guys say, we would have won if we hadnt turned the ball over. Yep and you might not have turned the ball over had a d-lineman not broken free and poked a ball out from behind or a Safety hadn't broke well on a ball and picked it or a QB not made a bad throw with a big rush in his face.

I agree that some turnovers are caused by great defensive play. But some teams as a whole protect the ball better than others whether it's the ball carrier or the QB making better decisions in pass attempts.

JVDAD
11-12-2014, 04:18 PM
When that topic came up a few weeks ago I was of opinion that some turnovers were not a direct result of defensive play. However after thinking about it awhile I believe that all turn overs should be attributed to the defense, if nothing more than in some form or fashion a moment of lost concentration or distraction. Now I will agree that some teams are more prone to loosing focus and being distracted, but credit still goes to the d for exposing that weakness.

OldBison75
11-12-2014, 04:54 PM
There are some turnovers that are unforced. Bad snaps, tipped balls by the receiver, and bad pitches and exchanges come to mind. However, the reality is that for it to become a turnover, the defender still has to be in the right place at the right time and make a play to gain possession of the ball. I guess what I am saying is that some turnovers may not be caused by the defense, but the defense still has to make a play on the ball for it to be a turnover instead of a busted play. Sometimes there are turnovers that result from just poor handling of the ball by a team like when the snapper overshoots the QB by 6 feet. Like my dad used to say, you sometimes can't fix stupid.

Deuce
11-12-2014, 07:54 PM
This thread is not near as fun as a few years ago!

I say Graham by 13 if we don't have more than 2 unforced turnovers! Lmao

Eagle 1
11-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Speaking of turn overs, Goldthwaite has suffered in that department this year as well. While I usually credit the defense for forcing a turn over, this year I would say only a 1/3 of our turn overs were the result of the other team. The rest was simply our own fault, our backs have fumbled the ball out in the clear open, muffed punts or kick returns, missed snaps, passes intercepted, and horrible hand off exchanges. For what ever reason we are just not executing with a Sr. backfield. Thus we are 5-5 and at risk losing in the first round of the playoffs for the first time in over a decade. I blame it on the gloves all the backs and ends THINK they need, but I'm old school. I digress, back to the topic.

Hopefully Brownwood take care of the ball and get the victory. Go Lions.

Steernation
11-13-2014, 12:30 PM
heard a rumor today, looking for someone to tel me if its true or not! I heard big ole #54 was offered a scholorship by Texas State with big 76?

hollywood
11-13-2014, 01:06 PM
heard a rumor today, looking for someone to tel me if its true or not! I heard big ole #54 was offered a scholorship by Texas State with big 76?

If true... congrats!

bearbear78
11-13-2014, 09:18 PM
If any Graham folks want to ride along its too cold for the little one and mom so im driving alone.

bearbear78
11-13-2014, 11:27 PM
If true... congrats! 54 is in my kitchen preparing to feast with 20 right now....sam houston and TS are after him to throw shot. He could play ball at that level easily imo...he has other interest though....very very superb young man.

hollywood
11-14-2014, 10:20 AM
54 is in my kitchen preparing to feast with 20 right now....sam houston and TS are after him to throw shot. He could play ball at that level easily imo...he has other interest though....very very superb young man.

Nice! Good to hear.

Steernation
11-14-2014, 11:22 AM
54 is in my kitchen preparing to feast with 20 right now....sam houston and TS are after him to throw shot. He could play ball at that level easily imo...he has other interest though....very very superb young man.

I guess its partially true then!

panfan
11-14-2014, 11:46 AM
Speaking of turn overs, .... simply our own fault, our backs have fumbled the ball out in the clear open.....

I can relate!!!
Graham takes this one.

Tink4392
11-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Wish I could make it tonight, but not gonna be able to. Keep us posted on how it goes and good luck STEERS!

BwdLion73
11-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Well I knew last week we brought up 5 new sophs. Just heard game time tonight 8 starters out with injuries. ...6 on defense.
So I'm only going with Bwd. by 1. ;)

BwdLions
11-15-2014, 08:34 AM
I didn't make this one, but from what I've heard, this was a dominating performance by the Steers. Good luck the rest of the way.

Rattler
11-15-2014, 02:49 PM
By DERRICK STUCKLY BROWNWOOD BULLETIN derrick.stuckly@brownwoodbulletin.com | Posted 13 hours ago

STEPHENVILLE — In the first meeting between Brownwood and Graham, the 25-point final outcome had a feel of a more closely-contested battle. In Friday’s rematch in the Region I-4A Division I bi-district round of the playoffs, the Graham Steers dominated in every facet of the game en route to a 52-11 victory.

Graham (9-2) completely bottled up the Lions offense as Brownwood (5-6) finished with a season-low 128 total yards, including 54 yards rushing on 29 carries. Meanwhile, the Steers scored at will en route to racking up 451 yards of total offense, with 259 yards coming through the air.

Nine players who suited up for the Lions in the first meeting either missed the rematch, or did not finish the season finale, due to injury. Lions second-year head coach Chuck Howard refused to use that as an excuse for Friday night’s performance.

“It’s hard to find any words right now,” Howard said. “It’s disappointing because we just didn’t play the way I felt like we are capable of playing, but Graham had a lot to do with that. This is our sixth game against a preseason Top 10 team this year, and you’re going to see a lot of the teams we faced playing well into December.”

In the first meeting, a 40-15 Graham win at Gordon Wood Stadium in Week 2, the Steers finished with 375 yards to Brownwood’s 352, and the Lions committed five turnovers. Friday night, the only turnover belonged to Graham, and the Lions failed to capitalize.

Trailing 6-0, the Lions started their third possession at the Graham 4 after Crystan Wright intercepted Steer quarterback Landry Turner, who went on to hurl three touchdown passes. Brownwood netted a total of 1 yard in three snaps, and Aaron Jimenez came on to boot a 20-yard field goal, which trimmed Graham’s lead to 6-3. The Steers then reeled off three more touchdowns before the Lions reached the end zone for the only time.

“Tonight Graham just whipped us on both sides of the ball,” Howard said. “We didn’t play the way we needed to play in order to beat a team of Graham’s caliber.”

The Lions managed just 2 yards of total offense in the first period and 47 yards for the entire opening half, and did not collect a first down until the midway point of the second quarter.

Of Brownwood’s 47 first-half yards, 41 came on its lone touchdown drive of the game.

Trailing 26-3 with four minutes left in the first half, Wright fielded a Graham pooch kick and returned the ball 20 yards to the Steer 41. On the first play of the possession, Colt Bertrand connected with Grant Lewis on a 27-yard pass to the Steer 14. Prior to the play, Brownwood had amassed 5 yards of total offense in the first 20-plus minutes of action.

A 5-yard pass from Bertrand to Cody Richardson moved the ball to the 9 where Brandon Diaz, returning after missing the last two games with broken ribs, carried the ball four times in a row before scoring on a 1-yard run with 1:49 left in the half. Harley Price tacked on the two-point run and the Lions were down 26-11.

Just 15 seconds later, Graham was back in the end zone again as Landon Gonzales returned the ensuing kick 94 yards for a touchdown and a 33-11 lead that the Steers took into halftime.

Graham opened the game with an 11-play, 68-yard drive that ended with a 30-yard scoring toss from Turner to Derek Sides, who caught four passes for 99 yards. The Steers made the score 13-3 on a 13-yard run by Nick Martin, who finished with 118 yards on the ground and later added a 3-yard touchdown to stretch the lead to 20-3. An 89-yard tunnel screen from Turner to Todd Parker extended the advantage to 26-3.

The Steers picked up where they left off in the second half as Sides caught a 27-yard touchdown pass from Turner at the 9:30 mark of the third period, then Turner broke free for a 30-yard scoring scamper with 2:01 to go in the quarter. Konner Hamm tacked on the final touchdown on a 2-yard carry with 7:11 remaining.

The Lions were able to move the ball into the red zone again late in the fourth period, but the drive stalled at the Graham 8 with 2:07 remaining.

Bertrand completed 9 of 17 passes for 74 yards as Lewis grabbed a team-high three receptions for 32 yards. Diaz finished with 28 yards on the ground while Price chipped in 27 yards.

Brownwood’s season ended in the opening round of the playoffs for the third year in a row which follows a string of three consecutive years in which the Lions reached at least the third round.

Following the game, Howard expressed gratitude to the departing seniors for their dedication throughout a see-saw 2014 campaign.

“I’m proud of our seniors for the way they’ve fought and what they’ve done and what they’ve been to this program,” Howard said. “I hurt for those guys, but at the same time I think we’ve taken a big step in the right direction. I hate this for these seniors, but I’m also very grateful for the leadership they’ve shown these younger kids, and these younger kids that were out here playing tonight are going to benefit from that leadership. It’s a process, but we’re heading in the right direction.”

Rattler
11-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Game Highlights - vs Brownwood

http://www.grahamsportsfilm.com/media-gallery/41-graham-sports-film-graham-vs-brownwood-playoffs