PDA

View Full Version : College Football Playoffs-some legit teams are gonna stay home

1st and goal
11-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Just wanted to rant some more about the "powers that be" crummy foresight to have a 4 team playoff.

Extrapolating, this means that 2 teams will get to play 2 post-season games (against each other for the championship).

Initially, I wanted to have an 8 team playoff, but a 16 team playoff would give some legit teams with 2 losses a chance, and outside teams like Marshall too.

Personally, I think Baylor and TCU would definitely be in an 8 team playoff as of now, I think they deserve it over Oregon to say the least. I could argue all day about SEC west teams that will be left out due to tough schedules.

Anyway, there are gonna be some mad fans with the current playoff system.

hookandladder
11-09-2014, 03:57 PM
You sound like you work for ESPN , Lol

PhiI C
11-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Just wanted to rant some more about the "powers that be" crummy foresight to have a 4 team playoff.

Extrapolating, this means that 2 teams will get to play 2 post-season games (against each other for the championship).

Initially, I wanted to have an 8 team playoff, but a 16 team playoff would give some legit teams with 2 losses a chance, and outside teams like Marshall too.

Personally, I think Baylor and TCU would definitely be in an 8 team playoff as of now, I think they deserve it over Oregon to say the least. I could argue all day about SEC west teams that will be left out due to tough schedules.

Anyway, there are gonna be some mad fans with the current playoff system.

I hope so. We need at least 8 teams but 16 would be better.

New Taiton
11-10-2014, 10:43 AM
While the more teams the better, I don't see it ever expanding past four teams. The main reason is for travel costs. A couple of years ago, UConn played OU is a BCS game in Arizona (I think) and that trip darn near broke the Huskies. Imgaine a cinderella limping into the playoff system and then not having the money, or searching high and low to come up with funds to get their team to the venue.

I will be interested to see if a team is in the playoffs that doesn't finish ranked in the top 4.

Emerson1
11-10-2014, 11:47 AM
While the more teams the better, I don't see it ever expanding past four teams. The main reason is for travel costs. A couple of years ago, UConn played OU is a BCS game in Arizona (I think) and that trip darn near broke the Huskies. Imgaine a cinderella limping into the playoff system and then not having the money, or searching high and low to come up with funds to get their team to the venue.

I will be interested to see if a team is in the playoffs that doesn't finish ranked in the top 4.

It has nothing to do with getting the team to the bowl. Conference USA, Mountain West, etc. travel the entire year... The cost comes because the teams are required to buy overpriced unsold tickets. So a team like Uconn isn't going to the fanbase to travel across the country for what was likely (and was) a blowout. OU didn't sell their allotment either. http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/18/surprise-fiesta-bowl-ticket-sales-are-down/

Not sure that would happen since the winner would still be in the running for the national championship. Such a boring match up like OU v. Uconn would have meaning behind it.

1st and goal
11-10-2014, 02:22 PM
I was hoping to also read what teams you all think should be in, but are out as of now. And give your reasoning.

There are a lot of 1 loss teams, and that 1 loss is keeping them out. Some 2 loss teams should be ahead of some 1 loss teams due to strength of schedule.

This crappy thing they call a playoff is just going to make more teams schedule more lower division "cupcake/twinkie/you name it" teams so they can keep their rankings high.

Strength of schedule should weigh heavier in how you rank a team than it does. Look at Arkansas. 1 score losses to Alabama, Miss St., and A&M. Yet not even close to ranked.

1st and goal
12-07-2014, 01:59 PM
Alabama
Oregon
Fl. State
Ohio State

I told ya. Who's bent?

BwdLions
12-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Alabama
Oregon
Fl. State
Ohio State

I told ya. Who's bent?

After yesterday, that's the only four teams you could put in there. Those four deserve it.

1st and goal
12-07-2014, 04:35 PM
I still think TCU and Baylor are deserving as well as both Mississippi schools.

Saggy Aggie
12-07-2014, 05:25 PM
I still think TCU and Baylor are deserving as well as both Mississippi schools.

Both miss schools have multiple losses

1st and goal
12-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Both miss schools have multiple losses

You are right about Ole Miss, with their glaring loss to the Razorbacks, but Miss State's body of work is worthy. I still think Ole Miss could line up and smash most anyone else in the top 10 on a given night in a neutral stadium.

hookandladder
12-07-2014, 07:39 PM
You are right about Ole Miss, with their glaring loss to the Razorbacks, but Miss State's body of work is worthy. I still think Ole Miss could line up and smash most anyone else in the top 10 on a given night in a neutral stadium.

I think you've lost your freaking mind, he'll put all sec teams in the playoffs. Get a freaking clue, You so damn brain washed you probably still think Giddings has not lost to LG in the last 3 years. LMAO

regaleagle
12-07-2014, 08:13 PM
The Pros have a playoff system in football, and so does the high school level nationwide. Basketball at the college level has a tournament, but not football. When you really sit back and examine or analyze the situation, you would think a workable system could be fostered that is better than what it currently in place. I'd be in favor of a 16-team playoff system based on certain criteria....like SOS, record, conference championship, etc. You could even eliminate the conference championship games if need be and just declare your champion or co-champions based on record and use that extra week to start tournament play.

1st and goal
12-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Your mind doesn't have the aptitude to pull a buttered string out of a hog's butt.

I know you're butt hurt about all your teams' getting their rears handed to them in the last couple of weeks. I hope your over it by the Reliant Bowl game so your rear can take another round of butt hurt. I'll be sitting back watching the horns/Razorback game and cheering for an out of state team BECAUSE OF YOU. Get a life.

1st and goal
12-07-2014, 08:26 PM
The Pros have a playoff system in football, and so does the high school level nationwide. Basketball at the college level has a tournament, but not football. When you really sit back and examine or analyze the situation, you would think a workable system could be fostered that is better than what it currently in place. I'd be in favor of a 16-team playoff system based on certain criteria....like SOS, record, conference championship, etc. You could even eliminate the conference championship games if need be and just declare your champion or co-champions based on record and use that extra week to start tournament play.

yes, yes. At least 8, better 16.

hookandladder
12-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Your mind doesn't have the aptitude to pull a buttered string out of a hog's butt.

I know you're butt hurt about all your teams' getting their rears handed to them in the last couple of weeks. I hope your over it by the Reliant Bowl game so your rear can take another round of butt hurt. I'll be sitting back watching the horns/Razorback game and cheering for an out of state team BECAUSE OF YOU. Get a life.

It really does suck to be from Giddings where there are no State championships ever but you can keep on dreaming, your aggys suck also. Loser city, LMAO

1st and goal
12-07-2014, 09:36 PM
It really does suck to be from Giddings where there are no State championships ever but you can keep on dreaming, your aggys suck also. Loser city, LMAO

Again, you are wrong. You better hope the horns win.