PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Navasota Rattlers heading int the playoffs

OldBison75
11-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Everyone has heard about the Rattler offense and how they can put up points. They have scored 561 through 9 games and averaged well over 500 yards per game for the season. The yards are just about equal between running and passing so the offense is pretty balanced. They have one back with over 1000 yards rushing but there are at least 8 others with positive rushing yards. They have one receiver with over 1000 yards, but at least 18 receivers have caught passes. Eppler is completing over 65 percent of his passes. They have 35 rushing TD's and 38 receiving TD's. I think the offense is ready for the playoffs.

At the start of the year my biggest concern was the defense and whether it would gel, especially against the run. Put these numbers together and I think the question has been answered. In nine games the defense has allowed a total of 1265 total yards, or about 140.5 per game and only 58 total points. In the last five games the totals seem even more impressive as they have given up a total of 433 total yards, or 86.6 yards per game. When you take into account that at least most of every second half has included a lot of second and third teamers on defense this has answered my questions.

Yes, the competition has not been the best overall measuring stick, but, the numbers are pretty good no matter how weak the competition. This tells me that this team takes no plays off and does not give up the big plays. If you are gonna beat this defense it will be sustained drives. In district, I believe that the longest gain against the Rattlers has been 19 yards.

My conclusion is that the playoff should be a ton of fun to watch and if you remember the Rattler defense from he 2012 State Championship season, you better get ready to see al least it's equal. There is not the one star like Jordon Wells was, but, every position has playmakers and they play well together.

Saggy Aggie
11-05-2014, 10:39 PM
Competition has been so weak that the numbers are extremely inflated.

Regardless, Navasota is always really good and this year is no different. I don't wanna play you guys

Weebe
11-05-2014, 11:17 PM
My thought is that they are going to win Region III.

Playing a Region IV team in the semifinals is like having a bye.

The only question is if they can win the state championship game.

Pudlugger
11-05-2014, 11:58 PM
My thought is that they are going to win Region III.

Playing a Region IV team in the semifinals is like having a bye.

The only question is if they can win the state championship game.

IMO La Vernis will win R4. They are no push over. They have played a tougher schedule than Navasota. If they meet up it will be no "Bye".

Weebe
11-06-2014, 01:41 AM
IMO La Vernis will win R4. They are no push over. They have played a tougher schedule than Navasota. If they meet up it will be no "Bye".

You guys beat them by 12.

So, I'd expect Navasota to beat them by 3-4 TD's.

Saggy Aggie
11-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Is Lavernia better than they were a couple years ago when they had detmer at qb? They lost to WC in the quarterfinals that year

Weebe
11-06-2014, 08:30 AM
Is Lavernia better than they were a couple years ago when they had detmer at qb? They lost to WC in the quarterfinals that year

I think you are thinking of Somerset.

Pudlugger
11-06-2014, 08:54 AM
You guys beat them by 12.

So, I'd expect Navasota to beat them by 3-4 TD's.

I would think you would be more concerned about how bad Navasota might beat El Campo rather than La Vernia considering the draw and all.

Weebe
11-06-2014, 09:09 AM
I would think you would be more concerned about how bad Navasota might beat El Campo rather than La Vernia considering the draw and all.

I clearly said that Navasota was going to win Region III.

pancho villa
11-06-2014, 09:41 AM
The 8th place team in Region III would whip any Region IV team.

HEMOTOXIC
11-06-2014, 10:09 AM
Everyone has heard about the Rattler offense and how they can put up points. They have scored 561 through 9 games and averaged well over 500 yards per game for the season. The yards are just about equal between running and passing so the offense is pretty balanced. They have one back with over 1000 yards rushing but there are at least 8 others with positive rushing yards. They have one receiver with over 1000 yards, but at least 18 receivers have caught passes. Eppler is completing over 65 percent of his passes. They have 35 rushing TD's and 38 receiving TD's. I think the offense is ready for the playoffs.

At the start of the year my biggest concern was the defense and whether it would gel, especially against the run. Put these numbers together and I think the question has been answered. In nine games the defense has allowed a total of 1265 total yards, or about 140.5 per game and only 58 total points. In the last five games the totals seem even more impressive as they have given up a total of 433 total yards, or 86.6 yards per game. When you take into account that at least most of every second half has included a lot of second and third teamers on defense this has answered my questions.

Yes, the competition has not been the best overall measuring stick, but, the numbers are pretty good no matter how weak the competition. This tells me that this team takes no plays off and does not give up the big plays. If you are gonna beat this defense it will be sustained drives. In district, I believe that the longest gain against the Rattlers has been 19 yards.

My conclusion is that the playoff should be a ton of fun to watch and if you remember the Rattler defense from he 2012 State Championship season, you better get ready to see al least it's equal. There is not the one star like Jordon Wells was, but, every position has playmakers and they play well together.

Great assessment. In 2012, we heard from some the same feedback about our level of competition. I think that when you are a good team, no matter who you play the competitiion may appear to be weak due to the lopsided scores. I will use Sealy, Neuvo Leon, & FW Castleberry to make my case.

Navasota beat Sealy 65-6. The same Sealy Tiger team that lost to Bellville 16-2, Wharton 14-13 (Wharton beat El Campo 28-24), and Giddings 35-28. No, none of those teams IMO are a threat to win state; however, all of those teams are playoff bound and Bellville is being looked at by many to challenge for the a region III crown.

Navasota beat Nuevo Leon 62-0. Nuevo Leon beat Ball 10-7. La Marque beat Ball 12-6. #5 (5A) George Ranch beat Leon 62-13.

Also, Navasota 56-Castleberry 3; Ranchview 24- Castleberry 12; Argyle 72- Ranchview 42; Kennedale 57-Castleberry 0; Alvarado 34-Castleberry 14; Kennedale 30- Alvarado 27

Hopefully my point has been made. Navasota is a really good team. How good? We shall see; I definitely like our chances especially getting Randle back for the playoffs.

hollywood
11-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Great assessment. In 2012, we heard from some the same feedback about our level of competition. I think that when you are a good team, no matter who you play the competitiion may appear to be weak due to the lopsided scores. I will use Sealy, Neuvo Leon, & FW Castleberry to make my case.

Navasota beat Sealy 65-6. The same Sealy Tiger team that lost to Bellville 16-2, Wharton 14-13 (Wharton beat El Campo 28-24), and Giddings 35-28. No, none of those teams IMO are a threat to win state; however, all of those teams are playoff bound and Bellville is being looked at by many to challenge for the a region III crown.

Navasota beat Nuevo Leon 62-0. Nuevo Leon beat Ball 10-7. La Marque beat Ball 12-6. #5 (5A) George Ranch beat Leon 62-13.

Also, Navasota 56-Castleberry 3; Ranchview 24- Castleberry 12; Argyle 72- Ranchview 42; Kennedale 57-Castleberry 0; Alvarado 34-Castleberry 14; Kennedale 30- Alvarado 27

Hopefully my point has been made. Navasota is a really good team. How good? We shall see; I definitely like our chances especially getting Randle back for the playoffs.

Hemo... I don't think anyone doubts that Navasota is a serious contender this season. Score comparisons are overrated at this level for the most part. Teams match up differently. The best point you made was when you said "I think that when you are a good team, no matter who you play the competition may appear to be weak due to the lopsided scores." Very good teams make good teams look average. We see it all the time. In 2012, Navasota proved that the way they handled Gilmer in the SC as did Stephenville against El Campo. And to add, they both did the same throughout the playoffs. Each season brings new challenges. We'll see how it all shakes out. If Navasota makes it past the Reg finals or Semi finals, they'll be hard to beat in the SC game. The best teams almost always rise to the top. ;)

cards4me
11-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Hemo... I don't think anyone doubts that Navasota is a serious contender this season. Score comparisons are overrated at this level for the most part. Teams match up differently. The best point you made was when you said "I think that when you are a good team, no matter who you play the competition may appear to be weak due to the lopsided scores." Very good teams make good teams look average. We see it all the time. In 2012, Navasota proved that the way they handled Gilmer in the SC as did Stephenville against El Campo. And to add, they both did the same throughout the playoffs. Each season brings new challenges. We'll see how it all shakes out. If Navasota makes it past the Reg finals or Semi finals, they'll be hard to beat in the SC game. The best teams almost always rise to the top. ;)

I think with Navasota it is a case of men playing against boys if they are anything like the 2012 team. They seem to be loaded every year.

HEMOTOXIC
11-06-2014, 11:03 AM

I don't think that I stated that anyone has said that we weren't serious contenders.

However, I do agree that score comparison can be overrated; Sometimes, that's all you have to go by especially when your schedule hasn't been as strong. Atleast with the score comparison, we can say that Navasota played team A and this was the outcome. Team B played team A who everyone thinks is good and this was their outcome. And, I've played sports and I am fully aware that games are all about matchups and don't forget luck..:cool:

LV_Bearfan
11-06-2014, 12:42 PM

Much better. That team was lucky to make the playoffs. We were a one trick team that year and found a way to ride it three rounds. It wasn't Detmer. We had the youngest Grub kid and his 4.4 speed and made the most of a team short on talent and line play. That team had been beaten 47-6 by Giddings and 42-7 by Wimberley to start that season. This team is big, strong, and fast. Yes, they lost to LG, but they also gave at least two gimmes that were out of character and put themselves at a disadvantage against a very good team. LG made no such mistakes and won the game with little drama at the end. If they played this week, the result could be different. LG has very good speed, but on that night it was more about their ability to break tackles.

La Vernia brings a power game with a very good defense, a good passing game, and a QB who can run. They are different from many R4 teams in their consistency of athlete throughout the roster. Big, strong, fast kids throughout. Yes, not East Texas fast, but plenty fast to beat Wharton 41-7 in the playoffs a year ago. That's the best team speed matchup I can think of for reference. They have almost all players back from that team.

They, like most, can't match Navasota, but the difference in styles could make it more interesting than it looks on paper. There is a ton of football yet to be played and Liberty Hill, Burnet, and Robinson among others will seek to keep LV out of that game.

Should be a fun ride.

HEMOTOXIC
11-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Much better. That team was lucky to make the playoffs. We were a one trick team that year and found a way to ride it three rounds. It wasn't Detmer. We had the youngest Grub kid and his 4.4 speed and made the most of a team short on talent and line play. That team had been beaten 47-6 by Giddings and 42-7 by Wimberley to start that season. This team is big, strong, and fast. Yes, they lost to LG, but they also gave at least two gimmes that were out of character and put themselves at a disadvantage against a very good team. LG made no such mistakes and won the game with little drama at the end. If they played this week, the result could be different. LG has very good speed, but on that night it was more about their ability to break tackles.

La Vernia brings a power game with a very good defense, a good passing game, and a QB who can run. They are different from many R4 teams in their consistency of athlete throughout the roster. Big, strong, fast kids throughout. Yes, not East Texas fast, but plenty fast to beat Wharton 41-7 in the playoffs a year ago. That's the best team speed matchup I can think of for reference. They have almost all players back from that team.

They, like most, can't match Navasota, but the difference in styles could make it more interesting than it looks on paper. There is a ton of football yet to be played and Liberty Hill, Burnet, and Robinson among others will seek to keep LV out of that game.

Should be a fun ride.

Great post. I hope that we both make it to the semi's. This could make for a great game. Good Luck to your Bears!

LV_Bearfan
11-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Great post. I hope that we both make it to the semi's. This could make for a great game. Good Luck to your Bears!

Thanks. It would be an honor to match up with the Rattlers if it comes to pass.
I live right up highway 6, so I've seen a Rattlers game or two.
Loads of talent.....and good coaching.
Exciting to watch.

HEMOTOXIC
11-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks. It would be an honor to match up with the Rattlers if it comes to pass.
I live right up highway 6, so I've seen a Rattlers game or two.
Loads of talent.....and good coaching.
Exciting to watch.

I agree. The talent has always been in Navasota. Hats off to Fedora and his staff for getting the most out of the athelets.

Saggy Aggie
11-06-2014, 02:03 PM
I think you are thinking of Somerset.

Yep.... My bad...

Cactus Thomas
11-06-2014, 04:16 PM
I have only noticed one potential weakness when watching the Rattlers.

Oversized running backs have given them a bit of trouble this year. 'Sota's LBs are quick, good in coverage and swarm to the ball but they are not huge and they don't always make big enough hits to stop the big backs. I have seen at least one team that was able to move the ball on the ground against Navasota (I believe it was Coldspring Oakhurst) and they looked to have gotten a good amount of yrds after contact. LB would meet the rush maybe a yard past the LOS but it took a couple more Rattlers swarming to bring him down and they would gain 4-6 yards per play.

When facing teams with weak O-lines, they don't have this problem as the interior D-line is good at getting to the backfield quickly and disrupting plays.

Rattlers have some very good athletes on both sides of the ball and I wouldn't call their line backers a weakness but they did seem to struggle against a power running game. Their secondary is very good and the entire offense has already made quite a name for themselves.

HEMOTOXIC
11-06-2014, 04:23 PM

Oversized running backs have given them a bit of trouble this year. 'Sota's LBs are quick, good in coverage and swarm to the ball but they are not huge and they don't always make big enough hits to stop the big backs. I have seen at least one team that was able to move the ball on the ground against Navasota (I believe it was Coldspring Oakhurst) and they looked to have gotten a good amount of yrds after contact. LB would meet the rush maybe a yard past the LOS but it took a couple more Rattlers swarming to bring him down and they would gain 4-6 yards per play.

When facing teams with weak O-lines, they don't have this problem as the interior D-line is good at getting to the backfield quickly and disrupting plays.

Rattlers have some very good athletes on both sides of the ball and I wouldn't call their line backers a weakness but they did seem to struggle against a power running game. Their secondary is very good and the entire offense has already made quite a name for themselves.

Coldspring did have sucess moving the ball during the first half. After halftime adjustments, Navasota's D shut down the Trojans.

OldBison75
11-06-2014, 06:31 PM

In the Coldspring game the Rattler allowed a total of 215 yards to the Trojans for the entire game. 166 of that came in the first half and the Rattlers shut them down in the second half. Coldspring ran a huge amount of delayed handoffs in the first half to allow the d-line of the Rattlers to get up the field a little and then ran where the holes opened. When the second half started, the Rattler defense changed approach and started holding position at the line of scrimmage and suddenly the Trojans had no luck running. The Trojans only gained 51 yards on the ground for the entire second half.

Rogers Ark. had more luck against the Rattlers gaining 292 total yards. The big difference was that Rogers had some luck running between the tackles with the fullback early and then switched to a lot of off tackle traps after the Rattlers adjusted. Again, the thing to remember is that Rogers amassed only 185 yards rushing against the Rattlers and that was with 126 of them coming in the first half. When you add in that 26 yards in the second half came on one play that was against the second and third teamers, the defense was lights out in the second half.

When you are giving up and average of 140.5 yards per game in total offense to your opponent, you can't be playing too bad at all. Oh, and if you really want to hear an interesting number, the Rattler defense has only allowed a total of 76 first downs by opponents all season. Seven of those have come on penalties. Less than 8 per game average.

Roughneck93
11-06-2014, 06:38 PM
I want to see a Roughneck/Rattler matchup....

HEMOTOXIC
11-06-2014, 06:52 PM
I want to see a Roughneck/Rattler matchup....

Best careful what you ask for...

I've always wanted to see Navasota vs Columbia. Great fan support for both teams.

Roughneck93
11-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Best careful what you ask for...

I've always wanted to see Navasota vs Columbia. Great fan support for both teams.

Well someone has to face the Rattlers Hemo, might as well be us.

The outcome might not be in our favor, but the Roughnecks must be doing something right if we get the opportunity.

HEMOTOXIC
11-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Well someone has to face the Rattlers Hemo, might as well be us.

The outcome might not be in our favor, but the Roughnecks must be doing something right if we get the opportunity.

I was just messing around with ya. I've seen the Roughnecks in the past. I know that it wouldn't be an easy matchup for the Rattlers.

Cactus Thomas
11-06-2014, 09:31 PM
In the Coldspring game the Rattler allowed a total of 215 yards to the Trojans for the entire game. 166 of that came in the first half and the Rattlers shut them down in the second half. Coldspring ran a huge amount of delayed handoffs in the first half to allow the d-line of the Rattlers to get up the field a little and then ran where the holes opened. When the second half started, the Rattler defense changed approach and started holding position at the line of scrimmage and suddenly the Trojans had no luck running. The Trojans only gained 51 yards on the ground for the entire second half.

Rogers Ark. had more luck against the Rattlers gaining 292 total yards. The big difference was that Rogers had some luck running between the tackles with the fullback early and then switched to a lot of off tackle traps after the Rattlers adjusted. Again, the thing to remember is that Rogers amassed only 185 yards rushing against the Rattlers and that was with 126 of them coming in the first half. When you add in that 26 yards in the second half came on one play that was against the second and third teamers, the defense was lights out in the second half.

When you are giving up and average of 140.5 yards per game in total offense to your opponent, you can't be playing too bad at all. Oh, and if you really want to hear an interesting number, the Rattler defense has only allowed a total of 76 first downs by opponents all season. Seven of those have come on penalties. Less than 8 per game average.

Good analysis, Bison. Thank you for correcting me -- it was Rogers Heritage Ark. that I was thinking of. I had been at both games and couldn't remember who it was that had rushed so well but I did recall both teams having some success on the ground. The Rattlers are a lot of fun to watch. I am looking forward to tomorrows game.

zebrablue2
11-07-2014, 09:26 AM
My thoughts, they are darn good, speed to burn. I worked their JV game last night in Giddings, and they put up 48 on a good Giddings bunch. Was 7-6 at the half. Bright future for the Rattlers....

HEMOTOXIC
11-07-2014, 10:01 AM
My thoughts, they are darn good, speed to burn. I worked their JV game last night in Giddings, and they put up 48 on a good Giddings bunch. Was 7-6 at the half. Bright future for the Rattlers....

This JV group went 10-0 on the season with wins over 6A North Shore and Cy Creek.